Hidden I'm-Perfection's

By Yours Truly

Kyuhyun sat in his room depressed. He fumbled with a pen, tapping it on the surface of his desk, as he heard his hyungs filing into the dorms one by one but he couldn't care less... he had more important things to think about.

“Kyuhyun-ah,” a voice from behind called through the darkness. Ryeowook flipped the lights on, spotting Kyuhyun sitting at his desk with a deflated expression. “What's wrong with you?” Ryeowook asked, walking to his side.

He let out a long sigh, resting his chin on the surface of his desk. Ryeowook blinked at him several times, a finger at his lips as he lost himself in thought; trying to figure out what was wrong with him.

“Is your computer broken?” Ryeowook prompted, noticing that the PC screen was turned off. Kyuhyun shook his head. “Your game was hacked?” Ryeowook tried again. Kyuhyun shook his head. “You're hungry?” Ryeowook attempted one last time before giving up and throwing his hands in the air, extremely frustrated. “Just spill!” He exclaimed, poking Kyuhyun repeatedly.

Kyuhyun lifted his eyes to meet with Ryeowook's. “Rejected,” he groaned.

“Rejected?” Ryeowook repeated, his eyes wide in shock. Kyuhyun nodded. “By who?” Kyuhyun mumbled to himself quietly, hiding his face in his arms. “What?” Ryeowook squinted, as if it would help his hearing.

“Ra$@%@,” Kyuhyun uttered a little louder. Ryeowook pulled on Kyuhyun's shoulder, lifting his head from his arms. “Rainie!” Kyuhyun finally shouted, feeling really embarrassed about admitting it to Ryeowook, his best friend.

Ryeowook paused for a moment before letting out a soft chuckle, “You should have just said so earlier.” Kyuhyun glanced at him, pursing his lips. “Really? Rainie noona? I always noticed you were intrigued by her, but attracted? That's interesting.”

Kyuhyun groaned and thumped his forehead onto his desk, “Did the words rejected not sink in to your ears? I'm hurting, pained by rejection, and 'that's interesting' is all you have to say?” Ryeowook laughed and patted Kyuhyun on the back.

“She has her reasons,” Ryeowook comforted with a small nod, “did she tell you why you were rejected?”

“She said she was going to return to Taiwan,” Kyuhyun sighed, “I guess she doesn't like long distance relationships?”

Ryeowook cocked his head, “but she could just stay here.”

“She said she can't and she won't,” Kyuhyun scowled. “Is it that hard? To move to another country even though you can stay by someone who really lov-,” he choked, “likes you? Why won't she do it?”

“Well, she does have all those foster children waiting for her back in Taiwan... At least she didn't say it was because she didn't reciprocate your feelings?” Ryeowook attempted to comfort. Kyuhyun's head bolted up and he grabbed onto Ryeowook's arms. “Did I say something wrong?” Ryeowook asked, afraid to make a single movement.

A grin slowly crept onto Kyuhyun's pursed lips, “You're a genius!” He shouted, giving his best friend a big hug. “She's just making excuses. No, even if they weren't excuses, she still didn't deny that she might have feelings for me so I still have a chance!”

“That's not what I-” Ryeowook started to explain, but was cut off by an over excited Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun pushed Ryeowook to the door, shoving him out after bidding him goodnight. He locked his door and the screen to his computer. The first thing he did was sign on to star craft and seek out the only other reliable female he knew: Tuuli.

-----

Dance practices were always Rainie's favorite. It gave her a sufficient amount of time to just sit in a corner and write as Kyuhyun focused on his dancing and left her alone, most of the time anyways.

“How's the story coming along?” Hankyung asked, trying to calm his breath as he took a drink out of a water bottle. He made his way to her side and sat down, glancing at the screen of the laptop that was filled with words. “Wow,” he laughed, “that's a lot.”

Rainie shook her head, “This is nothing, I've done better.”

“Are you almost finished?” He asked. Rainie nodded. “Ah,” he breathed, his expression drooping into a solemn stare.

Rainie set her laptop aside and dried the sweat on his forehead with a tissue, “Is something wrong?” She prompted with a sweet smile. He shook his head and took her hand into his, his grin like that of a child's. “H-hankyung,” Rainie nervously muttered, her cheeks flushing red.

“You'll be returning to Taiwan soon,” he smiled weakly, “Consider this a present.” He placed a small jewelry box in her hand. She looked up at him with a confused expression, her round eyes narrowing while she tried to make a decision; should she accept it?

“A present for what?” She finally asked. Neither of them realized their hands were still linked, but Kyuhyun caught every moment of it from the far side of the room.

Hankyung thought to himself for a while before he grinned happily at her, “A present for cooking for me whenever I missed home.” He gave her a quick peck on the cheek before returning to practice, leaving her speechless and still. Her heart thumped against her rib cage and she felt her breath caught in , causing her to almost choke on herself. She smacked herself on the forehead; this wasn't good.

She stared at the words on her screen, each character seemed to stab at her heart lightly. It was true... she was going to return to Taiwan soon. Very quickly she peered over at Kyuhyun, who focused on his dance moves, and she released a quick sigh. Shaking her head, as if shaking out the thoughts as well, she returned her attention to her writing. Only a little bit more to go... just a little more.

“Still typing, huh?” Kyuhyun asked, hovering over her. She silently hissed to herself before looking him in the eyes with a small smile, nodding. “What are you typing anyways?” He probed, poking the tip of her laptop.

Ryeowook watched them nervously. Now that he was aware of his friends feelings, he couldn't help but be nosy about it.

Rainie tilted her head in thought, “You'll know soon enough,” she replied.

“Let's go to a movie after this,” Kyuhyun suggested lightly.

Rainie shook her head, “I can't.”

“Why not?” He asked with a frown.

“I've got to finish this,” Rainie sighed, pointing at the laptop. “I don't have much time left, I have to finish it as soon as possible, it's best that way.”

His shoulders dropped and he took a seat beside her. He tapped on several keys and just stared, “Why is it so important? Why are you always rejecting me? Why are you always telling me no?” He pouted.

“Why are you acting like a baby?” Rainie laughed.

He blushed, “I'm not!” He scoffed. “But why?”

“So I can go back to Taiwan sooner,” she replied.

Kyuhyun ignored her reply, it wasn't going to happen anyhow. “We're going to the movies,” he nodded as he made his way back to practice. She called out to him, tried to stop him, but he would have none of it. She sighed with a small smile, shaking her head, as she watched him walk away.

“A movie, huh?” She laughed to herself, “That was what brought us together, I guess it's only right to end it there, too.”

-----

As the members finished packing their items and bid everyone farewell, leaving for their own schedules, Kyuhyun pulled Hankyung back for a short talk.

“Hyung,” he whispered, “Did you give Rainie a gift?” Hankyung nodded. “Why?” He prompted further. Hankyung laughed and lightly tapped Kyuhyun on the forehead.

“What's it to you?” Hankyung asked.

Kyuhyun shrugged, “Just answer me.”

Hankyung surrendered, “I just wanted to thank her. She's going to leave soon, I thought it was appropriate to express my gratitude before she left.”

“That's it?” Kyuhyun asked, “Don't you like her?”

Silence fell upon them but that was the most honest answer Kyuhyun could have asked for. He knew it; Hankyung had fallen for Rainie as well.

“Have you confessed?” He nervously asked, his grip on Hankyung's wrist tightening moderately. Hankyung shook his head and pushed his hands into his pant pockets anxiously. “Why not?” Kyuhyun continued to question.

Hankyung hesitated in answering his dongsaengs question. He glanced over in Rainie's direction, she was still typing away on her electronic with a serious expression, and a smile protruded his thin lips. “She's happy,” he replied, “that's all that matters, I guess. She won't be happy here.”

Kyuhyun straightened his back and irritatedly stared into Hankyung's gaze, “How do you know that?” Hankyung locked eyes Kyuhyun; he never expected any of the members to fully understand his loneliness of living in a foreign country, away from his family, but was Kyuhyun truly that oblivious?

“I know how she feels, Kyuhyun. Like me, she's far away from home, far away from her brother and her foster children, her only family. She probably feels lonely, helpless, but she still maintains a bright attitude and cares for us like we matter,” he sighed, “She's strong and she's beautiful, but in the end she's still just a girl.”

Why hadn't he thought of it before? He was so busy being angry, frustrated, and irritated about being rejected that he lost sight of the feelings she harbored behind the mask of lies and superficial expressions. He was so busy being jealous of Hankyung that he neglected his feelings and became oblivious to what was more important than just words and company, their true desires.

“Sorry, hyung,” Kyuhyun apologized, lowering his face.

Hankyung shook his head, “It's okay. I'm not saying you shouldn't confess,” he grinned at Kyuhyun, “We all have our own ideas. I won't stop you.” Kyuhyun's eyes widened in surprise, Hankyung noticed?

“How did you-” Kyuhyun wanted to ask before he was cut off short.

“It's obvious. It's written all over your face,” Hankyung laughed as he poked Kyuhyun's cheeks, “Really, though, you should do what you want to do. If you really want to keep her, then work for it, strive for it, and make her stay.”

“But you aren't-” Kyuhyun tried again.

“I have. I did it in the best way I could,” Hankyung smiled, “that bracelet, it says everything I want to say to her. She understands, I know she does, but she hasn't responded.”

“She won't ever know if you don't tell her directly, she's slow like that,” Kyuhyun half insulted. He actually just wanted to be fair, he wanted to give Hankyung a chance, but Hankyung rejected him as well.

Hankyung shook his head, “Kyuhyun, I'm not just giving up. I've tried and I failed, I realized that I'm not as perfect as I may have thought. She's not as simple as you think she is.”

Kyuhyun watched as the older man threw his bag over his shoulders and exited the practice room. He walked over to Rainie and sat down, trying to comprehend what Hankyung meant by his last words. She lifted her chin and glanced around the room, “Everyone's gone?” She asked. Kyuhyun nodded. “Are we still going to the movies?” Kyuhyun nodded again.

Rainie packed her laptop and belongings, standing as she started for the door. Kyuhyun hadn't moved and inch; he just sat there staring at the ground. She paced back to him, patting him on the shoulder. “Are you feeling alright?” She asked worriedly.

He looked up at her and took hold of the hand she extended to him. “I'm perfect,” he said, pulling her closer to him. “I'm perfect,” he repeated. “I'll do whatever it takes to prove that I'm just as perfect as I think I am.” Rainie stared at him confused. He got to his feet and pulled her into his arms, “Please,” he pleaded, “tell me that I'm perfect.”

-----

“Are you sure it's going to work?” Kyuhyun whispered into the microphone on his desktop. A voice from the other line replied with confidence.

“I'm positive,” she nodded to herself.

Kyuhyun sighed, “I don't know what got over me, Tuuli, but I have to fix it.”

“You were just feeling insecure after witnessing how generous and perfect Hankyung-sshi was,” Tuuli comforted, “Have some confidence!” Kyuhyun nodded to himself. “How is he, anyways?”

“He's fine. He's acting normal,” Kyuhyun replied weakly. “But... I don't know if it's just a mask.”

“I understand,” Tuuli smiled, “just do everything I told you. Even if it doesn't work, it will leave an impression. She won't be able to take you off of her mind.”

Kyuhyun thanked her before he signed off and jumped into his bed. Tomorrow would be a new day, tomorrow would be his final chance.