Why Say Goodbye?

By Yours Truly

 

Jungkyu greeted Rainie at the front of the building; she was literally nearing the end of her script and needed to go over some details with the chairmen before she added her finishing touches. “Long time no see,” he waved at her. He noticed she had, in her own ways, grown and matured. She smiled weakly at him a nodded, giving him a small hug.

 

Seriously. Where have you been the past month?” She asked, crossing her arms over her torso. He shrugged at her playfully, his usual reply when he didn't want to, or couldn't, get into details. She smiled and followed him into the meeting room.

 

They spent a good two hours in the meeting room discussing certain issues, questionable conflicts and the original casting of the series and as a result, Rainie had several minor twists in the script she had to tweak.

 

How are things going?” Jungkyu asked as they made their way towards the exit.

 

She sighed and slumped over lazily, “Fine.” She replied shortly. He laughed softly to himself as he opened the car door for her.

 

Don't stress yourself out, there are a lot of other things and people waiting for you,” he encouraged as he slid the door shut. She nodded and leaned back in her seat, hopefully prepared for whatever it was Kyuhyun had in store for her today.

 

-----

 

What's taking her so long?” Leeteuk asked Kyuhyun as they watched the time. Rainie was a little over half an hour late in picking them up from their recording and Kyuhyun was growing impatient.

 

He sighed to himself, “She's probably somewhat avoiding me.”

 

...why?” Leeteuk asked groggily, only half-awake due to his lack of sleep. Ryeowook immediately interrupted them and changed the subject.

 

I heard we'll be promoting overseas soon, our first stop will be Taiwan! Isn't that exciting?” Ryeowook excitedly exclaimed. Leeteuk nodded and clasped his hands together, as if he was going to pray, and turned to the pack of members standing behind him.

 

Ryeowook frowned at Kyuhyun, “Stop being so depressing!” He demanded, holding Kyuhyun by the shoulder.

 

I'm not depressed,” Kyuhyun corrected, “I'm nervous.”

 

Ryeowook lifted a brow curiously, “Nervous? About what?”

 

Plans,” Kyuhyun muttered, “I got a little help from a friend. My friend suggested a whole list of things to do for me to convince Rainie to stay.” Ryeowook was about to let Kyuhyun in on a secret when they were interrupted by the honking of a car. It was Rainie.

 

I'm so sorry!” She directly apologized as the boys filed into the car. “I was with the boss at a meeting and it lasted a little longer than we expected.” She explained to them whole heartedly, fussing over nothing because they weren't even angry with her.

 

She paused and glanced around at the boys who were trying not to laugh at her cuteness. She let out a sigh of relief and slid back into her seat, “Are you guys hungry? Should we go grab something to eat first?”

 

Kangin shook his head, “We were fed at the studio.”

 

Well, this is going to be a long drive. We're going to stop at the main building and switch into two separate vans for the drive to Daegu,” Rainie explained, handing the boys the script for the next entertainment show recording they were heading towards.

 

Leeteuk scooted up in his seat to get closer to Rainie, “Are we all going to the same recording?” Rainie nodded. “So, it doesn't matter how we divide ourselves,” he smiled brilliantly.

 

Considering only seven of us are here,” Yesung looked around, “not including noona, our manager, and the chauffeur, more of us will have to move over to the other car.” The rest of the boys nodded in response.

 

Rainie laughed, “We'll figure it out when we get to the main building.”

 

The boys were very tempted to ask Rainie about her script and how the meeting went, save Kyuhyun who was still oblivious to the whole scheme, but they had to hold back the questions until they got out of the car and Kyuhyun was out of hearing distance.

 

Kyuhyun stared hard at Rainie; wondering if he should initiate his plans as soon as they left off for Daegu. It was such a long ride that he wasn't sure if it was safe to conduct his plans so soon. He sighed and pulled out his cell phone, seeking Tuuli for aid.

 

[Text Messaging]

 

[To: Tuuli

From: Kyuhyun

 

Text: Do you think I should start now?]

 

[To: Kyuhyun

From: Tuuli

 

Reply: Yes.]

 

[Text Messaging END]

 

Damn it,” Kyuhyun scowled under his breath. Everyone turned to him, surprised at his sudden cursing, and he smiled innocently at them. They shrugged it off and continued doing whatever it was they were doing before they were interrupted by him.

 

------

 

The boys divided themselves according to age; the older men got the bigger van and the younger ones got the smaller van, which meant the manager and everyone in authority, Rainie excluded, rode in the larger vehicle.

 

Just my luck,” Rainie sighed. Ryeowook and Donghae claimed the front, single, seats and forced Rainie and Kyuhyun to crawl to the back seats. It was exceptionally dark in the back, considering the windows were tinted and the entire van was painted in black.

 

Rainie pulled out her laptop, fiddling with the ends of her hair as she brainstormed on ideas to solve the issues with certain conflicts that weren't too appropriate for the script. Kyuhyun glanced between the screen and Rainie, wondering which one he should attack first. After about an hour into the ride, Kyuhyun checked to confirm Ryeowook and Donghae were asleep before he took action.

 

He closed the laptop with a single movement, taking the electronic from her lap. She stared at him in disbelief; she couldn't quite make out what he wanted to do. He didn't look angry, he wasn't out of control, and he wasn't exactly aggressive. He only stared into her eyes and reached into his pocket, pulling out a sheet of folded paper.

 

She took the paper from him, unfolding the layers and spreading it into her lap. She used her cell phone as a source of light and discovered a neatly written and decorated sheet of music. She looked up at him and held onto the sheet of music tightly. He leaned into her ear, running his lips against her jaw line, as he whispered the title against her smooth skin.

 

Do you like it?” Kyuhyun whispered to her again.

 

Rainie smiled at him and nodded, “It's very nice of you, Kyuhyun, but I can't take it.”

 

Too bad,” Kyuhyun smirked, “I'm not taking it back.” Rainie laughed helplessly, returning her gaze to the music. “I'll play it for you,” he added with a childish grin, “once we get home, I'll sing it to you.” Rainie nodded with a smile, this was seriously too much for her weak heart.

 

It was successful; Kyuhyun's first success in his attempts to win over Rainie's heart. He smiled triumphantly to himself as he felt fatigue overcoming him. He let out a little yawn and stretched his arms over his head.

 

Did you stay up late?” Rainie asked.

 

Kyuhyun nodded, “Yeah, I was busy.”

 

Doing what?” She prompted.

 

Kyuhyun didn't reply. He sprawled himself on the long seat, curling his body, and rested his head in Rainie's laps. Rainie was afraid to touch him at first but realized he really was exhausted and lowered her guard. She took stray locks of Kyuhyun's nicely set hair and weaved her fingers into them. When Kyuhyun's breathing started evening out, she his arm gently, soothing him into slumber.

 

Two hours had passed and Rainie's legs started numbing. She didn't want to wake Kyuhyun because he was peacefully asleep, but as she tried to stealthily stretch her legs, she accidentally woke him.

 

There's still another hour before we arrive,” Rainie told him, “You can sleep for a little longer if you want.” Kyuhyun shook his head and stretched, taking a drink of water in attempt to wake himself up a little.

 

He noticed she was lightly hitting her legs. “Are your legs numb?” He asked. She shook her head lightly. “Sorry,” he laughed. He leaned in and kissed her on the cheek as an apology, freezing her in place.

 

You really need to stop doing that,” she nearly demanded. “If I had a weaker heart, it would have stopped beating.”

 

Kyuhyun grinned, “That's good news to me.” Rainie rolled her eyes. He spotted Rainie's laptop in the place he last left it and picked it up. “Is what you're writing really that important?” He asked. She nodded. “What would you do if I somehow managed to delete it all?”

 

It wouldn't matter,” she smirked and pointed to her head, “I have it all saved in here.”

 

But it wouldn't be the same,” he retorted.

 

She thought to herself for a moment, “That's true, but it would still be close enough, so that's good enough.”

 

So, if you're just close enough to liking me, would that make it a good enough reason for you to stay here in Korea?” He asked. Rainie diverted her gaze out the window and focused on the scenery around them.

 

Kyuhyun tugged on her arm and she let out a small sigh, “Why do you want me to stay so much? I'm just an assistant, what's so good about me? There are so many beautiful women out there that you come into contact with daily, why get all worked up about a common girl like me?”

 

You're not common,” Kyuhyun replied sternly, “Not in the least. You're special and you're different; you're kind, smart, and innocent but those are just outlying factors. I don't know why I like you so much either, but I just do.”

 

Innocent. The word replayed itself in her mind; she was far from innocent. She inspected the front of the car, making sure the chauffeur wouldn't be able to see them and turned to face Kyuhyun. She slowly maneuvered herself closer to him, then swiftly straddled him. She supported herself by holding the back of the seat on either side of him and stared into his eyes, her stare cold and unwavering.

 

I'm not innocent,” she clarified, “far from it, actually.”

 

He laughed, “Being experienced is different from not being innocent-”

 

Kyuhyun was cut off by Rainie's lips. She easily pulled Kyuhyun to her, a hand wrapped behind his neck, and lowered herself into sitting position in his lap. He s his arms around her waist and pulled her closer to him, tightening their embrace.

 

She thought it would work, thought it would scare him away, but obviously it just backfired and smacked her straight in the face. She pulled away and dismounted him, returning to her seat.

 

No matter what you do, I'll still like you,” Kyuhyun told her.

 

Rainie didn't know whether she should be laughing or crying. To have a man, or boy in this matter, so head over heels for her completely flattered her but it was just too wrong; wrong timing, wrong location, and wrong reason. The only thing that was right were their feelings for each other, but she started feeling as if that was wrong as well.

 

She snatched her laptop and opened it, browsing over her files. She had to finish this fast so she could make their splitting as painless as possible, however impossible it may seem.

 

------

 

You two fell asleep?” Leeteuk asked angrily. Ryeowook and Donghae nodded apologetically. “How could you? We told you to watch them!” Leeteuk half scolded in frustration. Kangin shook his head with a laugh; he saw Kyuhyun and Rainie approaching them and quickly waved everyone back to reality.

 

Recording starts soon,” Rainie informed them.

 

Yesung stretched his arms in disappointment; he expected an update from the two dongsaengs but in the end they weren't even a step closer to understanding what was going on between the two.

 

Eunhyuk had remained quiet the entire time, as if something was plaguing his mind. Rainie patted him on the shoulder, making sure he was alright. He assured her he was fine and caught up to the rest of the boys as they prepared for filming.

 

Eunhyuk glanced over at Kyuhyun. He knew something; there was something he wanted to tell Kyuhyun but he promised someone that he wouldn't utter a word and disrupt the order of things around them. He lowered his head, angry at himself for being so honest, and sulked as they waited for filming to begin.

 

Rainie-sshi,” the chauffeur greeted, “Should we leave now?” Rainie looked over at the seven boys and smiled at him with a nod. He heaved the luggage from the larger van and moved them to the smaller one as she hopped into the car. She glanced over at Kyuhyun one last time, running a finger over her lips, and closed her eyes. She leaned back in her seat.

 

The Daegu Airport isn't far from here, it shouldn't take us longer than forty minutes to arrive. You should nap for a little,” the chauffeur suggested. Rainie thanked him and complied, relaxing herself as a pain struck her chest.

 

She felt the tip of her nose souring and tears collecting in the corner of her eyes. She titled her face to the side so the chauffeur wouldn't see her tears. She regretted that she had to leave without bidding the boys goodbye, but why should she? It would only make it harder for her to leave. It was a last minute decision, after all.

 

This was it, she thought to herself, her last forty minutes in Korea.