Week Ten: Drabbles

LDWS: Last Drabble Writer Standing | final winner announced + reveals & notes posted!

Can you believe it? The last week is here! We would like to take a moment to thank all the wonderful, talented competitors that we have had in this last ten weeks. Thanks to your support and participation, we hope everyone had as much fun as we did!
On to the drabbles! This week, please vote for your favorite. Keep in mind that you are voting on which one should win the whole thing, so no pressure! ;)


 

ONE

Title: Hidden Details
Fandom: Seventeen
Rating: G
Warnings: none
Word Count: 500

 

By the time Jeonghan walks out of the school gates, almost everyone has left. Minghao’s the only one still there, sitting on the curb of the sidewalk and chewing on a piece of a gum.

Minghao looks up, standing as Jeonghan approaches. “What took you so long?” He’s not annoyed, though; if anything, there’s a hint of amusement in his eyes.

“I got held up.” Jeonghan closes his fingers around the piece of paper in his hand.

Minghao glances down briefly at the paper in Jeonghan’s hand. “Another confession?” he asks, his tone light and teasing.

Jeonghan nods. He’s almost come to dread opening his locker in the morning and having to deal with yet another confrontation.

“Why don’t you say yes to any of them?” Minghao’s voice catches on the last syllable, like he isn’t sure if he wants to hear the answer to the question.

Jeonghan swallows, looking away as he gathers his thoughts. It’s hard to pick apart the threads in the fabric of their relationship and pinpoint why he’d approached Minghao on the first day of school or what had initially drawn him to Minghao. Maybe it hadn’t been anything special until they’d started spending more time together, until the space between them had started fading away.

“Because I’m waiting for someone,” Jeonghan says. His words are nearly drowned out by the wind. It isn’t enough of an answer, but Jeonghan can’t express such complicated feelings with words alone. It’s ironic that, despite all the confessions he’s received over the years, he doesn’t know what to say.

“Jeonghan,” Minghao begins, and Jeonghan knows that Minghao can see how difficult it is for him, knows that Minghao is going to cut him off.

He can’t stop now, though, if only because he doesn’t think he could say it again later. It’s not the best place for this; they’re both carrying heavy backpacks and standing before the front doors of the school, the loud noises of traffic just an arm’s length away, but it’s not like there are requirements to something as simple as this.

Jeonghan lets the piece of paper fall from his hand. It drifts in the wind, landing in the middle of the street. He notices Minghao following its movement, but for once, he doesn’t bother Jeonghan about littering.

“I’ve been waiting for someone like you,” Jeonghan says. For a moment, Jeonghan wavers, almost scared to breathe, when Minghao’s expression remains blank. But then Minghao smiles, taking a step forward, and the air rushes back into Jeonghan’s lungs.

It’s not like Minghao’s starkly different to Jeonghan. It’s just the little details hidden in the curve of his smile, in the honesty of his eyes, and in the way his fingers fit so well between Jeonghan’s.

Minghao reaches out now, taking Jeonghan’s hand. He opens his mouth to say something, but his next words get lost in the blare of the passing traffic. It doesn’t matter, though, Jeonghan thinks, because this is enough of an answer. 


 

TWO

Title: November 2nd
Fandom: Girl's Generation
Rating: pg
Warnings: None
Word Count: 500
Prompt: I'll wait, no matter how long it takes (lyrics)

 

Tiffany sat quietly at that park bench, looking out into the last falling leaves of autumn, and the scarce amount of people that went by, doing their own thing. She did that every year, on November 2nd, always arriving at the same time, and staying until the sun went down, and the stars announced that the day was over. She had a promise to keep, and she’d diligently wait for him until it was fulfilled.

He had told her, right before he went away, that November 2nd was the day  he’d be out, the day he’d come home to her. He told her to wait for him, so that when he was once with her again, they could start creating that beautiful life together that they had long dreamed of; their dream home, their wanted children, their quiet life along each other’s side as they grew old. And that’s why she always sat on that cold bench, like a perfect stone statue doing nothing but watch the faces go by.

The war wasn’t over yet, and as the months passed, more and more men were shipped off to fight it, for their country, for their honor. She had to watch, as the women around her – wives, mother and sisters – got news of their departed. Getting a letter from the army was always an indicator of bad news in such horrible times. She watched them mourn; she helped them through those difficult moments. But all the while, she wondered when it would be her. When would she hear that he wouldn’t come anymore? When would she need help and console?

But those dark thoughts didn’t incapacitate her. She’d wait for him, even if that war lasted 10 years, or 20 years. She’d be there, every year, as she had so far, and until the end of her life, if it was necessary; waiting to see his handsome face, which then would be most likely tainted with the harshness of the trenchers and the dirty grounds of war. But as long as she got to see him, she didn’t mind. She’d wait as long as it takes, even if that was forever.

And when her hair starts to show grey, and her face is filled with lines of expression, marking her long years, she’d still look out onto that park, a memory of her lover’s face forever stamped beneath her eyelids, scarring her tired eyes. She could almost see him out there, fighting for her, looking out for her. She could always feel his love, even from a distance, his devotion was there.

Through all the years, she’d persevere in his behalf. When she felt he was gone, when she felt there was no hope left, she’d stay on that spot, carving the memory of that location onto her soul. If not now, if not while she lived, then after it, they could meet. She’d be there for him as long as she needed to be, honoring his life, and his departure.


 

AGAIN, thank you to everyone! Voting opens now and will remain open through Halloween until midnight.