Week Seven: Drabbles

LDWS: Last Drabble Writer Standing | final winner announced + reveals & notes posted!

Here are the wonderful drabbles for this week! There was a contestant who dropped out and as such, there will be no eliminations this week. Please do vote for your favorite drabble!!!


ONE

Title: Drifting Through Empty Shores
Fandom: Vixx
Rating: PG
Warnings: none
Word Count: 250

 

The light drizzle outside has turned into a thunderstorm by the time Hakyeon leaves the coffee shop.

He’d walked into the coffee shop tingling with excitement, the texts vague but promising, the rays from the setting sun gentle and soothing.

The skies are dark now, the rain cold and unforgiving, and Hakyeon’s phone is silent.

Hakyeon walks in the rain for a while, continuing until he’s numb inside and out, until he can’t tell if his face is wet from tears or rain.

By the time he gets to the basketball court, the rain has stopped. Taekwoon is still there, spinning a basketball on his finger. He doesn’t say anything as Hakyeon sits next to him on the court, doesn’t need to ask to know.

It takes a few minutes for Hakyeon’s breathing to even out, for the warmth to seep into his bones again.

Taekwoon puts his hand over Hakyeon’s, asking, “You want to play?”

Hakyeon nods, standing to face Taekwoon on the court.

This—this is familiar. The sound of their sneakers hitting the concrete, the smooth arc of the basketball into the hoop, the shadows cast onto the court by nearby lights.

There’s no need for words or excessive feelings. The minutes blur together, and before long, the sun is rising again, coloring the sky with optimistic gold rays.

Taekwoon pats Hakyeon on the back. I’m here for you, hangs in the air, unspoken but pronounced.

Hakyeon smiles, closing the space between them to interlace their fingers. 

 


TWO

Title: If Only
Fandom: DBSK/JYJ
Rating: G
Warning: none
Word count: 250

 

Brushing the hair back gently from her sleeping face, Jaejoong bent down to press his lips ever so lightly to her forehead. He smiled as she shifted in her sleep, just a small movement, before she drifted back to the world of her dreams. "Sleep, baby," he whispered to her as he slipped from the room, closing the door most of the way to block the light from the hall.

The peace of his infant daughter was muted then by the press of life's duties on his shoulders, and he sighed as he headed for his study. His desk was covered in papers, most of them bills that he couldn't afford to pay. After being laid off work the previous year and having to take on occasional odd jobs for neighbors just to get by, he hadn't been able to be the father he wanted to be, to be the man he knew his daughter deserved. If only her mother hadn't left...

But if only's didn't matter, and so Jaejoong sat down at the cluttered desk for what seemed the millionth time and picked up the day's newspaper. He did this every night, scouring the want ads for some odd job to take the following day, some way to ensure his daughter was fed and happy. He never wanted her to have to worry about a thing. If only he could find a lasting opportunity! His eyes fell on an ad for a singing audition, and he found himself smiling.

 


THREE

Title: Us - You and I
Fandom: EXO
Rating: pg
Warnings: None
Word Count: 250

 

She had never felt so insecure before.

Everyone had something to say about their relationship, and it wasn’t good. She had really started to take it all to heart, and her mind was always filled with concern.

What could they do to change? What would make everyone compliment them as a couple, instead of criticizing?

All the negativity had taken a toll on her, and now as she sat on her bed, crying onto her boyfriend’s shoulder, she felt like a huge rock of negative comments was crushing her down.

“Honey.”

Chanyeol called out, running his fingers through her hair. He was surprised with her sudden break down; he didn’t know all that was happening. But now, after making do with words she mumbled between sobs, he finally understood.

“You shouldn’t pay attention to those people. They’re not in this relationship, we are.”

He started, and that made her look up to him. Her eyes and nose were red and swollen, but he still saw her as the most beautiful woman of this earth; and no one’s nasty opinion could change that for him.

“We are the ones that get to say what is good for us or not. We should just be happy the way we are, don’t let other people try to change us. We don’t need to worry about what they say, as long as were happy with each other.”

His words were all she needed, and it was like that huge rock shattered into pieces immediately.

 


FOUR

Title: Liquid Regret
Fandom: Namjoon (BTS)
Rating: G
Warnings: N/A
Word Count: 250

 

"Hi, Mom." Namjoon reaches out tentatively to caress his mother's cheeks. Despite the deep lines and spots on her face, he still believes she's aged like fine wine. Her eyelashes are still long and her graying hair has been combed neatly, parted straight down the middle. Serenity has smoothed out her usually rough features. Looking at her makes Namjoon feel like he's on a beach with sand between his toes, and the sun is setting. Tendrils of pink, orange, and indigo paint the sky, and there aren't words to describe the feeling that floats up in his heart. 

Something like, "beautiful" doesn't even come close. 

"Hi, Mom," Namjoon says again and his voice cracks at the last word. "I owe you some apologies." He attempts a smile. Fails. "I'm sorry about being embarrassed when you showed up to my class in high school, for all the drinking and the slammed doors, and for making you cry." A hand grasps his shoulder from behind but Namjoon barely feels it. 

His eyes leak liquid regret. The floor beneath his bare feet feels like ice. "I promise not to be immature anymore. I even got into the college you wanted me to go to." Namjoon takes a deep shuddering breath. "I'm going to follow in your footsteps and be a doctor." He says.  

Namjoon kneels over the open black casket. "You don't need to worry about me anymore, Mom" He plants a kiss—the last kiss—on her forehead and steps away.

"I love you."


 

Thank you all or participating! Only three weeks left! Please remember, only vote for your favorite drabble this week.