Week Five: Drabbles

LDWS: Last Drabble Writer Standing | final winner announced + reveals & notes posted!

There's a note at the bottom, but take your time reading~


ONE

Title: Maybe
Fandom: BigBang
Rating: PG
Warning: -
Word count: 455

 

Tears trickled down flushed cheeks as pale-pink lips formed an 'o'. Looking around, the lithe man could not help rubbing at his eyes with his small fists again and again, wonder settling in soft hazel orbs. He could not believe what he was seeing: it all seemed so magical, almost unreal.

"This is it, huh?" soft words, like gentle spring breeze escaped the stunned male as he took deep breaths of the salty air, inhaling it again and again: he wanted the scents to etch into his memories, he wanted the sight to be forever vivid in his mind. It was just so perfect, the way the waves crashed against the shore again and again, the way sand crunched under his bare feet. It was an inexplicable sensation. He had never felt so free before: it was as if his soul had escaped the confines of his weak body and was allowed to roam free for once. He just wanted to run into the water, but the firm grip on his hand was tugging him back gently.

"You would have never thought that I would bring you here one day, have you?" The man who was holding him asked, voice as deep as the rumbling of the sky on stormy days. Amusement was clear in his eyes as he chuckled lightly when he received no answer for long minutes.

"I promised to find a way for us to get here, hadn't I?" he continued finally, a teasing smirk tugging at the edges of his lips." I always keep my promises, darling."

The smaller could do nothing but laugh and cry at that, an odd mixture of emotions welling up in his frail chest: he was so happy: the biggest dream of his had finally come true.

And yet, he was also so sad: he knew well that never again could he visit the beach again. His time left in the world of the living was scarce: it was fading rapidly by each moment that passed.

"Do you like it?" his darkening thoughts were broken as strong arms were wrapped around his too-thin waist and kisses were planted on his pale neck."For me... it's nothing out of ordinary, you know."

"I... there is not a single word that could describe this, Seunghyun. Guess we can finally cross the final item on my bucket list, eh?" The last sentence was said in a joking manner and yet it made the other tense up: it was clear that he hated being reminded that he did not have forever with his beloved, not when Jiyong was so sick, so small, so weak...

"Maybe," he uttered finally, hope underlying the short yet meaningful word."maybe you should add new items, eh?"

 


TWO

Title: Regret
Fandom: Kim Myungsoo and Lee Sungyeol (Myungyeol)
Rating: G
Warnings: Violence
Word Count: 200

 

Memories of last night hung in the air like a curtain and it divided the two men. 

Myungsoo spoke first. "I can't handle you anymore," he said and shook his head. "You keep lying to me."

"You're not without your flaws either," Sungyeol replied. 

"But I've never slept with your girlfriend!" Myungsoo's volume rose and so did Sungyeol's.

"I've never treated any of mine as horribly as you do. She's not a toy you can keep around when you want to be entertained and tossed away when you're bored!"

Myungsoo's hand hardened into a fist. "What I do with my girlfriend is my business." Sungyeol was punched in the jaw and he stumbled back.
The look on his face was a mixture of surprise, anger, and something else Myungsoo couldn't find words to describe.

Regret, maybe–Myungsoo had some too–but even so, there was no going back. The two had fought before but nothing like this. Hatred permeated the air between them, and both knew there wasn't anything in the world that would be able to mend what they were breaking.

Sungyeol straightened and struck back, knocking Myungsoo's head to the side.

Seven years of friendship, and this was the end. 

 


THREE

Title: reliving the afternoon sunlight
Fandom: Nu'est
Rating: PG
Warnings: none
Word Count: 432

 

There’s the softest sound of music under the conversation around them, the changes of chords barely audible in the pauses. The water is a clear blue, the boats on the surface gliding along to the rhythm.

Minhyun’s standing on the edge of the shore, watching as one of the boats comes towards him. He can’t speak much of the local dialect, his words slow and unsteady, an inaccurate mimicry of the locals’ speech.

The man understands, smiling as he takes the fare. The boat tilts a little as Minhyun gets in, and Minhyun almost trips before he regains his footing.

It’s a relaxing ride, the cool evening breeze carrying away the last of the sun’s heat. Minhyun reaches over the side to dip his hand in the water, his fingers leaving trails that are erased seconds later.

Looking into the river is like looking into the past, nearly ten years ago. He’d gotten into the boat with Youngmin, their shoulders brushing as they’d looked over the same side, their fingers barely touching underwater.

They’d saved up for years for that trip, adding money from the first year they’d roomed together during college. Eventually, the box hadn’t been enough to contain the bills and coins, and they’d gotten a joint bank account.

Coming here together had been like a step into a different world, a chance to find a kind of magic lost in the gray and neon colors of their city.

It had only taken a week, a few secret moments they’d shared here. They’d returned hand in hand, the change in their relationship small but obvious.

Later, the magic had faded away, the smooth, steady melody of this place replaced by the cacophony of the city. Everything that they’d found here had fallen apart when they’d returned, the deadlines and conflicts winning over them in the end.

It had been gradual, over the span of several years, finalized when they’d gotten separate apartments on opposite sides of the city. There were days when Minhyun felt a kind of emptiness, unused to how quite and still his apartment was without someone else beside him.

Even returning now doesn’t hold the same magic as before. It’s like a snapshot of a moment, captured but ephemeral.

It’s harder getting off the boat, smiling as he waves to the man, and walking towards the sunset. He remembers another hand brushing his with each step, another pair of footsteps in synch with his. There’s still the faintest echo of the last note in the air, and Minhyun hums to the forgotten tune as he keeps walking. 

 


FOUR

Title: Tidal Warmth
Fandom: Seventeen
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: none
Word Count: 423

 

Mingyu has always loved the snow and the snowflakes that drizzle down like sprinkles on a cake. He loves the children that play in the huge lumps of white sparkles, pawing their way through white frosting with giggles and laughter. He loves how the streets look like the perfect scenes from a movie, so that maybe he can act like he lives a perfect life by someone else, in another world, in another era. But most of all, he loves Jiyun’s smile when he sees the white clumps of ice that stick to her hair, her lips, her face. 

Jiyun’s eyes are sunken in. They don’t look healthy. Mingyu doesn’t like this at all. 

“Hey,” he croaks, hand softly brushing Jiyun’s palm on the bed. Tan and pale. Dark and light. Everyone had always told them they looked like a lovely couple, balancing out the differences between the pigments of their skin and the foot between their height. 

“You look so serious,” she jokes breathlessly, grabbing onto the darkness carefully, trying to add more light. 

Jiyun’s hand is sweaty. It has cracked calluses from where she works day and night, and smooth places where Mingyu has run his thumb over and over again. The hard skin is like a knight's armor, ready for a battle with the monstrosities of life and death. The smooth skin reminds him of a baby’s skin, soft and supple to the touch.

“The doctor says there isn’t much time left.” Jiyun stares at the wall in front of them where the window is, gaze blank and stare so heavy that the weight of it could crush the shards of glass into millions of tiny pieces. 

There’s a vine outside that creeps onto the opposing building, barely hanging on - but it’s still there, clinging to the brick walls that secure its holdings and protection. It’s much like them, Mingyu thinks. It’s like the way him and Jiyun are for each other. 

“I think I’m going to let go,” he says carefully, also matching Jiyun’s gaze where the vine hangs on for the life it’s been given. There’s a wind that blows on it, gently, like a caress. The vine shivers, shaking it’s leaves. “I think I’ve got to let go of you.”

Jiyun’s hand tightens on his, hands now streaked with white from lack of blood flow. 

Her slender fingers are crushed against his, but he doesn’t say anything. A telltale of emotions rush into his bloodstream, sparks of electricity and hot of fire, almost as if they transfer from Jiyun’s to his by some sort of diffusion. Mingyu’s lips gasp in a soft parted, “Oh.”

It’s like a tidal wave. 

 


FIVE

Title: Seven Months of White
Fandom: EXO
Rating: PG
Warnings: a/n
Word Count: 500

 

Rays of sun brushed my face through a crack of the white lace curtain that my husband had delicately hung on our wedding day. I shifted so that my face could dig into my pillow, trying to ignore the blinding light that signified another morning had come. 

I despised mornings the most, not because I hated getting out of my comfortable queen bed, but because Baekhyun wasn't the first thing I saw when I opened my eyes anymore. Even after seven long months of waking up to an empty bed, I was still not used to the plain white bed sheets that laid neatly by my side. 

I patted to my right, with my eyes closed, nose still hidden. I felt nothing but emptiness. I could only reluctanly climb out of bed, and wish for the best of this day. At least the sun still smiled. At least I could still remember him. 

 

As much as I loved purple, I chose to wear the white summer dress that reached down to my knees, like every other day. The dress reminded me of my wedding, the day where white was the most prominent color, the most pure. I never thought I'd ever grow tired of seeing such an innocent color, until all I saw seemed white. But I had to wear that dress, so that he could hopefully remember me. Remember us. 

 

White-washed were the walls of the place I was headed, the same place I'd been going to, for the past seven months. White was the prominent color of those people's uniforms. However, none of that bothered me. My only hope was that he'll never have to turn white.

 

"This way, please, Mrs. Byun." 

"Thank you," I peeked at her name tag, "Nurse Jung."

 

I tiptoed into Baekhyun's room, situating myself beside his bed. His eyes were closed, but they fluttered open immediately when I caressed his cheek. I smiled gently, trying to ignore the white bandage around his head. He reciprocated with a grin, masking the pain the brain tumor gave him.  

"Sujin, right? You came here two days ago."

"I'm flattered, Baekhyun. You remembered!" If only he would still remember the time long before two days ago. The time we were in love. 

"Of course I would! Who wouldn't remember such a pretty face like you?" Oh, Baekhyun. If you only knew. 

Even so, Baekhyun's cheeky remarks made me redden. No words could possibly be enough to sum up all my sentiments at the moment, as I just stared at him wistfully. I should be happy that Baekhyun was still by my side, able to share words and laughs together. I could still be here and love him. However, there was still that gaping hole of sadness, one that wouldn't ever fade away, because I knew these times wouldn't last long.

"Earth to Yejin, do you still remember me? I'm still talking to you, so stop spacing out." Baekhyun, I never forgot you. And my name is Sujin.

 


 

Hello! It's Mod L here~ These are the drabbles for this week, you can go ahead and vote! I've decided to give the two people who turned theirs in on time an extra point (shoutout to you guys btw) and only one drabble will be eliminated this week, because I accidentally eliminated two last week). From this point onwards, participants won't be able to skip - this wasn't entirely because of this week, it had been planned from the start - since the number of participants is dwindling and it would start to become less fair for those who turn in their drabbles. If you are unable to make a week, please PM me to either drop out or so we can figure something out.

I also have to thank everyone who responded to the last plea for help question. Your answers were all very helpful and I value your input a lot!

I think that's all for now, and sorry for another lack of a bonus drabble. I'll be back soon with the results~