Week Four: Drabbles

LDWS: Last Drabble Writer Standing | final winner announced + reveals & notes posted!

This week's drabbles are up! Please vote for your favorite and your least favorite.



ONE


Title: Stay With Me; Recognize Me
Fandom: SHINee
Warnings: none
Word count: 350


Taemin was at it again––bothering Yijoo with his incessant finger jabs against her right cheek, but the woman heeded no mind and continued to scribble down the important information hightlighted in her Psychology textbook. When Taemin realized she was going to blantantly ignore him in favor for learning, he took the pen out of her grasp and secluded himself into the corner of the study room.

"Give it back," she demanded, opening the palm of her hand and gesturing for him to come forth. "This is why I don't acknowledge you whenever you show up."

Taemin, albeit reluctantly, trudged towards her and returned the plastic object he'd stolen. "Didn't I tell you that I'm real?"

Yijoo shook her head before jotting down some more notes on the theories Freud had conjured up. Apparently, none of them explained why Taemin, who was once a figment of her "imagination," was able to have physical contact with her and no one else.

She'd have to visit a shrink if she told her parents that a guy they couldn't see stalked her every move.

"I'm going crazy," Yijoo mumbled, and Taemin shifted his body uncomfortably. "But I guess I already am, right? Is it–" She locked her eyes with the blonde-haired, lanky male. "Schizophrenia?"

"Why don't you just accept me?" he whispered, intertwining his fingers with her own. "We can be happy together. I swear to you that I'm destined to stay by your side."

Feeling uncomfortable from his sincere words, she averted her attention to the blank whiteboard on the wall, allowing the warm sensation pressed upon her skin to remain.

"You know," she started after a pregnant pause filled the air, "the moment I start declaring that you exist–"

"Isn't this evidence enough?" Taemin held their joined hands in the air. "Is this not enough proof for you?"

Yijoo stared at the ground, contorted into a thin line. "I'm afraid you'll ruin me."

As Taemin kneeled down on the floor, he placed his head on her lap and, with his free hand, traced patterns on her thigh.

"I won't, sweetheart."


 

TWO


Title: Waiting for the Stars to Flicker
Fandom: FT Island
Rating: PG
Warnings: mentions of smoking
Word count: 350

 

The phone call comes late at night, just when Jonghun’s planning to call it a day.

Hongki’s name flashes across the phone screen, and Jonghun picks it up, bringing the phone to his ear.

“Just this once?” Hongki asks, the only warning before he launches into a lengthy description.

It’s always like this. Their late night study sessions turned into hours of smoking under the moonlight on the edge of the roof. Their texting during class turned into ditching school competely. Their walks through the park together turned into Jonghun following a few steps behind, watching as Hongki holds hands with his current girlfriend.

Yet even now, Jonghun doesn’t hesitate in saying, “Yes,” to Hongki’s demands.

The bitter cold of winter seeps through his coat; the dark jealousy settles in his heart and stays there.

He smiles as he walks into the store, the only candy shop still open so late. The straps of the plastic bag dig into his arm, heavy with the Valentine’s chocolates that Hongki had forgotten to buy.

It would be so easy to toss them into the overflowing trash nearby, to throw away five years of friendship and three years of unrequited feelings. It’s been three years since he’d first identified the source of the bitter taste in his mouth just from watching Hongki laugh. Three years of wanting, following a step behind and wishing that he wasn’t so invisible.

Jonghun knows that it’s better to forget, that he’s not going to get anywhere with Hongki. Staying with Hongki only leads to a premature death and an inevitable heartbreak.

There’s more than that, though. Hongki has managed to fit himself into Jonghun’s life from Jonghun’s first day in a new school, walking up to him with a bright smile and incomparable excitement.

But now, it hurts for Jonghun to breathe, much less smile.

Jonghun’s phone rings with an incoming text message. It’s a series of stickers from Hongki, and Jonghun smiles as he puts the phone back into his pocket.

He keeps walking into the wind, the plastic bag swinging in rhythm with his steps.


 

THREE

Title: Cool Night Air
Fandom: BTS
Rating: G
Warnings: none
Word Count: 350


Taehyung's the 'it' boy of the school, the one everyone wants, and for some reason I cannot fathom, he chose me.

There's a feeling of euphoria when he looks at me, his eyes heavy-lidded and a smile on his lips, a feeling that reminds me that I am not just that girl who tries to avoid attention. That I am not just the girl who sits in the corner of the classroom and doodles on my notebook, dreaming that I could have the confidence to be in the 'it' crowd. Not to him, anyway.

He noticed me, for some reason. I cannot begin to imagine what drew him to start up a conversation with me, but he did. Taehyung says that I make him laugh. That I'm intelligent and funny and pretty, though it's hard to believe any of that when staring into my reflection in the mirror.

Now, sitting on the hood of his car, leaning back against the cool windshield, I can feel his gaze lingering on me. I am half afraid that if I meet it, if I turn to look at him, that he will be gone, like a figment of my imagination finally catching up to me. Even after the last two months of being with him, I still feel like I'm dreaming.

What does he see in someone like me?

"Hey," Taehyung says softly, reaching over to brush a tendril of hair from my face and tuck it gently behind my ear. "Penny for your thoughts?"

I laugh softly, watching my breath puff like a cloud in the cool autumn night air. "I'm just considering everything between us, as usual," I admit after a moment.

He sits up to wrap his arms around his legs, drawing them tight against him. "You know, I think that I've lost my edge, being with you," Taehyung tells me, and my heart flutters as I wonder if this is where he breaks up with me. Then he turns to me with a crooked smile and a one-sided shrug. "I don't care. In fact, I kind of like it."


 

FOUR

Title: Blind
Fandom: BTS
Rating: PG
Warnings: none
Word Count: 350


Jimin stepped into the crowded elevator, tired from work, closing his eyes. He heard the elevator ding, so he looked up to notice the most beautiful woman he had ever seen enter and stand against the opposite wall. Jimin smiled at her, his exhaustion forgotten as he struck up a conversation with her. She seemed to be very nice, and the young man got her phone number by he end of their encounter. Smiling again, he determined that he would call her.

They began meeting several times a week, going out on dates and also just simply hanging out together. She made him feel more alive than he had in a long time. He could finally trust someone and he was sure she would be the one to melt the ice away and break through to his heart. He hadn't felt this good in a long time. She made him feel good.

One day after three months of dating, she invited him back to her place, and when they got there, Jimin made love to her, knowing that his feelings were genuine. He was in love with her, and didn't want anyone else, ever. The next morning, she kept him at her place, convincing him to stay for the entire day. He didn't have anywhere to be, and he didn't want to be with anyone else.

Over time, Jimin came to trust her so much that he put her on his accounts and trusted her with all of his passwords. They were in love, so he didn't have a reason to be worried about anything. He was certain that she wouldn't betray him after they had been together for so long.

However, one morning, he walked to the ATM to withdraw money, but noticed that a lot of money had already been used. Frowning, he decided that he would talk to her about the money, since it was his, too. However, the day passed and she never came home. His life savings of thousands of dollars was drained and he was eventually left penniless. He never should have trusted her.


 

FIVE

Title: A Dodged Bullet
Fandom: Lee Chaerin and Kwon Jiyong (skydragon)
Rating: G
Warnings: Violence
Word Count: 350


Jiyong stared at the glass shards. He remembers Chaerin's muted anger, the icy look in her eyes, and the way her chest heaved. She'd flung a ceramic bowl at the window, breaking both. Jiyong had been standing near it and a piece of the bowl had bounced back, slicing the skin near his mouth.

It was deep—Chaerin was strong—and blood oozed down his chin, but Jiyong didn't move to wipe it off.

And Chaerin continued her rampage, not at all bothered. Her fury had become her blindfold and it consumed her.  She raised a small flower pot above her head and sent it tumbling down. The carpet wasn't hard enough to destroy it, but there were other pieces of pottery around to smash it with. Chaerin was obsessed with ceramics, after all, but Jiyong could've sworn the only reason was because they were satisfying to break.

Dirt sprayed everywhere and Chaerin was only satisfied when the pot was lying in smithereens.

Then, they were standing there, eyes locked. Chaerin's hair was like a frozen blonde tornado and the silence was broken only by her heavy breathing.

"Why?" Her tone was impassive but her eyes were wild. "Why would you break up with me?"

This is why, Jiyong had thought.

Now, leaning on the side of his bed, he wishes he'd said that aloud. Blood trickles down his face to his arm and finally, the floor. It tarnished the beige carpet, but Jiyong hardly cared. Chaerin had made sure to completely trash the condo before she left. A couple drops of blood would simply be the cherry on top.

He wanted to laugh—or maybe cry—but the only thing that rose up was bile in his throat and a single strangled sound.

Papers flutter on a desk courtesy of the gust of wind from the busted window. It whistles at him, congratulating him on dodging a bullet.

And Jiyong was finally able to breathe a sigh of relief.

Chaerin always liked to break things. And he... he had been terrified that he would be one of the things she eventually broke too.


 

SIX

Title: Ruined
Fandom: EXO
Rating: rated M
Warning: self-harm
Word count: 350


Guarding the lives of flimsy little humans had always been a task that bore the winged to the core. They could not care less about infantile mortals whose wrath was bitter and heart weak enough to be lured into loving the wrong person. One too many died each year merely because of misunderstandings: it was an annoying feast to watch over those who always got into trouble because of such.

Winged beings could interfere, but only if they thought their humans did not deserve death, if they were worth a second chance. There were some who granted it, but most just let their mortals suffer, and maybe be reborn as something a bit less useless.

It all went wrong when Sehun was arranged to guard over the little boy whose name was Luhan. He was merely five years of age at that time, and sweet like any child could be. Mother was a waitress, father a butcher. They lived a humble life, as ordinary as it could be.

Luhan met Sehun for the first time when he fell down the stairs at the age of sixteen. He hit his head, blood escaped the cuts on the back of his neck at a rapid pace.

Dark eyes focused on the pitiful sight," Live," uttered a deep voice," Live, little one, live once more..."

And for a brief moment, as Luhan's soft doe-eyes fluttered open, he could see the figure of his savior fade away. His heart clenched at that one moment: he knew that he had to see them again, at least once.

It did not take long for him to find a way to see the angel once more. A blade was the perfect weapon, one that caused just enough damage to push him on the boundary, to let his soul call out for help..He was obsessed with the thought of seeing those eyes, those worried eyes once more... He did not even feel the pain when he pushed it down, just stared ahead with glassy eyes.

His angel was not there to save him that time.

No one was.


 

SEVEN

Title: Together in Fear
Fandom: Infinite
Rating: pg
Warnings: None
Word Count: 350


She breathed in deeply, her entire body shaking in the process. Her extremities hurt, from being tied up for so long. But that wasn’t the worst thing right now. She was in complete and constant fear. Every moment, of every day, her body shook in fear and weakness, since at any second he could enter.

And as that small basement door creaked and opened, revealing Myungsoo, she held her breath. Her body froze whenever she saw him.

This situation had gone on for so long, she didn’t plea anymore. With time, she realized there was no use begging him to let her go. She knew the way she be able to end that suffering, and it terrified her. The only way she’d escape was when he decided to kill her. That was the only way she be free.

“How are you today, my love?”

He asked, and she shivered. She hated when he wanted to talk, since anything could throw him overboard. But even as her body instinctively retreated, she knew well what to do.

It was her only way out.

“You’re crazy! You disturbed bastard, let me go!”

She was going to provoke him. She was going to make him mad enough to want to kill her, and then it would all be over.

But the crooked smile that creeped up on his face didn’t give her hope. His mind was too twisted, she had no idea how to manipulate him to what she wanted.

“That’s not nice, honey. This is all because of you remember?”

He came closer, making her body tremble more. Tears were running down her face before she even realized she was crying. And as he held her chin up, she whimpered.

“Because you ruined me. So now I must ruin you too, so we can be together forever.”

She tried to pull her face away, but his hold was too strong. She could only look at him, seeing the crazyness in his eyes.

“I want you to feel like I felt. I was so afraid. Do you feel it, love? Are you afraid too?”


 

EIGHT

Title: The Pain of Existence
Fandom: EXO
Rating: PG13
Warnings: bullying, mention of suicide.
Word Count: 350 words
 
 
“Hey, Lulu.”

I shrink into myself, clutching my notebook tighter against my chest as I’m shoved against the frigid, unforgiving metal of the locker behind me. I’m surrounded.

Dark eyes search me up and down as if I’m an injured deer, just another easy meal. “Didn’t see you in gym, loser.”

I’d wish you didn’t see me at all. I wish I could be invisi-

BANG!

I groan, my head throbbing. My collar is bunched up in Kai’s fist as he leers down at me, and I avoid his fierce stare at all costs. I know what happens when I make eye contact; I’ve learned my lesson again and again.

“I’m talking to you, moron. Don’t ignore me.”

I’m not. I swear I’m not. Please don’t hurt me.

Baekhyun snickers at my distress. Another boy, Sehun, leans in to mumble in Kai’s ear. His words are nearly droned out by the thunderous pounding of my pulse in my ears. “Third time’s the charm.”

No, please-!

This time I feel the locker give a bit under the force of my weight being thrown against it. Perhaps there’s a dent. It wouldn’t be the first one.

“So, why’d you skip?”

Because I didn’t want to get beat up again. I didn’t want to be embarrassed, or to have my clothes stolen from the locker room. Again.

I flinch away as Kai’s fist strikes the locker mere centimetres away from my ear and cringe under the scrutiny of those around me. I would pray that a teacher would come find us, but there’s no one in sight.

“I’m waiting you freak, and you know I don’t like waiting.”

“I-I-”

“SHUT UP!” Kai roars, and I squeeze my eyes closed. He smirks at the sight of my terror, pleased by the knowledge that I can’t fight back. “You’re such a little sewer rat, Luhan. Scurrying around all the time. Worthless piece of trash.” Kai turns on his heels and strolls away from me, his crew trailing behind.

“Why don’t you just do us all a favor and go die?”

I might as well.


 

NINE

Title: You Got Me Waiting On You
Fandom: EXO
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: none
Word Count: 350
 
Junmyeon is the kind of guy who uses up heartbeats and takes them for granted.
 
Unfortunately, Kyungsoo doesn’t have any problem with this. He tells himself that getting near people like Junmyeon will always ruin him in the end, but really - the man is harmless. Of course, Kyungsoo doesn’t fail to notice that his heart gets stepped on every single time he sees him. He wonders if Junmyeon knows too.
 
“Hey,” Jongin says, waving a hand in front of his face. “You awake in there?”
 
His boyfriend looks concerned, but Kyungsoo waves him off. “I’m fine.”
 
Jongin raises an eyebrow. “Are you sure -  “
 
Suddenly, there’s a loud beeping sound, and Jongin curses under his breath as they both look at his pager. “Dammit. I got to go. They need me in the ICU.” He gives Kyungsoo a quick peck on the lips before hustling away. “See you later?” he calls.
 
“Yeah,” Kyungsoo says, laughing softly as Jongin almost trips over a trash can.
 
“Kyungsoo!” someone else calls from behind him, and he turns to see a frazzled Taeyeon walking up to him. “You’re needed in room 11. It’s urgent.”
 
Kyungsoo curses under his breath. That’s Junmyeon’s room.
 
His almost runs through the familiar hallways, his stethoscope jumping up and down on his chest. But he’s stopped outside of the room before he can even make it in, almost startled by the hunched figure who stands in front of the door.
 
“Baekhyun?”
 
Junmyeon’s boyfriend looks up with delay. “Oh, Nurse Kyungsoo.”
 
“What happened? Are you okay?”
 
“I’m fine,” he says lifelessly. “Junmyeon - he’s. The cancer spread. He’s in surgery. Doctor Jongin says he doesn’t have much time left.”
 
Kyungsoo can already imagine Jongin working on Junmyeon’s heart, the one that borrowed the heartbeats and used up the seconds, with careful precision. The heart of the man who was always Kyungsoo’s favorite patient. Jongin would tell him not to get too attached to the sick, that death was unavoidable, but it was too hard.
 
“He’ll make it,” he says determinedly.

Hopefully, Jongin can save the man who ruined them all in the end.

 

 


Okay everyone! That is the end of drabbles for this week! The original mod is still providing the prompts, so don't expect anything wildly different for the next week's prompt. I am not a writer though so have no bonus prompt to show you. Sorry! I hope you all enjoy this, thank you all for taking care of me as your new mod, and please, EVERYONE vote!!! Thanks!