Chapter 5

Quest of Resurrection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yüzhen liked the mountains. Their hotel was situated right beside them, providing natural scenery and a hiking trail. The trail was something she visited each morning to clear her head before Sehun started to crack it. Between fitting herself in Sehun’s schedule and having some alone time, she was always exhausted to the point of fainting. That was something she’d never do. It might give the CEO some sadistic satisfaction to know he was an excellent slave driver. Despite the hours, he paid well and until she could find another job she was stuck with him.

 

Breathing in the fresh air at the very top brought a feeling of accomplishment. The mixture of pine mingled with morning dew and a faint scent of rain was refreshing. She watched the sleeping city at dawn, the lights still glimmered, the whiskers of sunlight painting the east sending it into a disarray of orange and golden hues bleeding into an inky darkness. It lit a small joy in an empty expanse of darkness inside her. She smiled doleful and tried to relax her goosebumps which never seemed to stop their prickle.

 

“Someone’s in high spirits. Don’t tell me you plan to cry here.”

 

She took a deep breath, breathing courage into melancholy as he came to stand beside her. She noticed the distance of arms length he’d left for ghosts to fill. “I don’t cry.”

 

Sehun shrugged slinking his hands into his pockets. His inexpressive gaze took in the view before him but nothing flickered. He was as unfeeling as they came.

 

“Stop staring,” he snarked, crossly.

 

“I wasn’t staring,” she lied, turning her head away.

 

He frowned sensing something amiss. Tilting his head to peer at her, he knew something was off. “Normally you’d rush to take a bite out of me. I’d hate to think you’ve lost your touch, Miss Huang.”

 

Yüzhen sighed, expelling all the air from her lungs. “Unlike some, I don’t find it necessary to start the day with a bad temper.”

 

“I presume a depressing start is better?”

 

“A fresh start would be ideal.”

 

“What’s stopping that?”

 

“Staleness,” she said, meaningfully.

 

“It’s common sense to throw away something stale,” Sehun stated, detachedly.

 

“Throwing things away,” she mused the possibility. “But what if you can’t do that?”

 

Sehun pressed his lips together, his brows beginning to scrunch. She’d aroused his rage. “If by ‘you,’ you mean ‘me,’ I can honestly say that I will throw away whatever I don’t need.”

 

“Then, I guess I’m not like you, sir. I can’t throw things away, even if they’re molting.” She crossed her arms in a despondent way that made him snap, “What’s wrong?”

 

She flinched, slightly. her lips, she passed a hand over her hair. “Nothing.”

 

“When someone starts a gloomy conversation. It hardly ever means ‘nothing.’ Did you know that?”

 

She pursed her lips. “It’s nothing. I’m just not good with throwing things away.”

 

“Then what? Do you want me to throw it away for you?”

 

“No.”

 

“Then stop talking about useless things. It seems you’re finding your job very relaxed, to even find time to dwell on worthless thoughts.”

 

Yüzhen smiled, wistfully. “Perhaps you’re the one at fault then. You don’t give me enough work.”

 

“If that’s how you feel, prepare yourself.”

 

“If by ‘yourself’ you mean me, I can honestly say I am never unprepared.”

 

The corners of his mouth couldn’t help twitch at that one. He wished he could converse with her for days, have a battle of wits while they were at it. It seemed easy for her to get under his skin. Oddly enough he didn’t mind. He looked forward to arguing with her. Their silence was breached by a bark.


Yüzhen jerked. Sehun arched a perfect brow at the rottweilers who, upon sensing them, had gone a little mad with excitement.

 

They put Yüzhen on edge. She stiffened, her gaze darted to them and fixated, her lips taut.

 

Slowly, she took refuge behind him. He felt her paralyze there.  

 

They yapped louder, almost aggressively.

 

Sehun felt her fingers dig into his arms, her breath become erratic. She was terrified.

 

“Stop,” she whispered, weakly.

 

He grimaced.


The dogs bared their teeth menacingly and ran towards them.


Yüzhen shut her eyes.

 

A soundless whistle sounded. The dogs stopped for a second. Yüzhen could barely hear footsteps over the sound of her heart. She felt a hand on hers. It caused her stomach to lurch. She stared at what she was doing and let go, taking a stumble back.

 

“Do these mutts belong to you?” Sehun inquired.


It was only then that she noticed the solitary figure tying a leash onto a pack of wild dogs. He was of average height and bulky build. His hair was bleached yellow and his yellowing skin showed signs of jaundice.

 

He inhaled a puff of smoke and exhaled poignantly. His eyes trailed to Sehun, soaking up the young CEO in his flashy designer hiking gear, a glare glued to his icy features. “Yeah,” he rasped. “So?”

 

Sehun shot him a scathing look. For a second he’d thought he might pity him but his attitude was unforgivable for the CEO. “Would you like for each one of them to be put down?”

 

The felon grinned baring his murky, greying teeth. “A smart mouth, eh?” He wheezed a cackle. “Yenno I don’t like smart mouths.”

 

“I can’t say I’m taken by you either. Mind your mutts! If they harass either me or any of my employees I will have them gone.”

 

“‘Gone,’ he says. ‘Gone’ where? Gone with the reflection?” The knave laughed at his own joke before jeering, “That’s not how ye’ ask a favor boy. Do you want me to teach ya a lesson you ain’t gonna forget?”

 

“Do you think you can get away with it?” Sehun taunted.

 

“Oh, I’ll get away with it, sure, but don’t think you’ll ever get over an attack by one of these.” He dropped the rope he’d been holding with a sly grin.

 

A dog barked and the rest followed. Yüzhen released a small scream. Sehun grimaced catching her cold hand. “I’m warning you,” Sehun seethed. “Take the dogs away.”

 

The rogue guffawed at this, clutching his stomach as if it were the funniest thing he’d heard. His dogs hissed tyrannically.

 

“He’s sorry!” Yüzhen blabbered. “He doesn’t know kindness but I know he’s sorry.”

 

Sehun might have refuted the claim had she not squeezed his hand. He was surprised to see that she had enough strength to do that. The color had drained from her, and her voice was quivering as if a sudden chill had gripped her. She looked as if she would pass out any second.

 

But she didn’t.

 

She reasoned with the insufferable human being, leaving Sehun speechless. He could only apologize when she asked him too lest he put them both in danger.


It was only when they were sloping down the mountain did he realize he’d apologized to someone. Not just anyone but a psycho. This was for the sake of a woman he didn’t know anything about, but one was drawn towards, as if the hands of destiny hadn’t finished having their fun with him the first time round.

 

He held her hand still acting as her aid. She stumbled too much and tripped over the slightest thing. He had no option but to assist her. He told himself it was because he didn’t want an accident, calling an ambulance would be a bother. A part of him really wanted to shake some sense into her, to remind her they were past peril. He refrained from that in case he gave her a heart attack. That would also be an inconvenience towards him.

 

Whe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter