Chapter 2

Quest of Resurrection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The granddaughter had been humoring Grandma Huang when the grandson’s car hummed into the garage. A faint smile crossed the grandaughter's lips as she brushed through grandma’s hair. Despite her age, Grandma Huang was more childish than both of her grandchildren put together. Granted that neither of them were childish to begin with.

 

The grandson had aged finely, maturing with each passing day, sitting in various rooms of the house clicking away at a keyboard with rapid fingers, a rhythm the household knew all too well. When asked he would say, “I’m working,” without even looking up through the thick frames resting on the bridge of his nose. He was harder to move than boulder once he was absorbed with ‘work.’ Rarely did a smile cross his face, and when it did it was only for his sister who might as well have been the jewel of the palace, the House of Huang. Recently he’d stuck a deal with his mechanical digits and had been spending quite lavishly that Grandma Huang was quite worried.

 

The granddaughter was a bit more lively, perhaps taking after her grandmother. She was a young lass but didn’t look more than a lamb; grandma didn’t like to leave the child alone fearing that she was far too young to be out anywhere by herself. She carried the faint scent of coffee with her. Although she didn’t drink much of it, the aroma she liked, and the drink was grandma's. Her granddaughter was more reasonable, again, taking after her grandmother in that respect. She was the breath of fresh air that kept the other old coots alive. She smiled a lot more too and grandma reckoned if a war was ever to start, her granddaughter’s smile could be the peace offering that would make both sides throw down their arms and embrace.

 

In short, her grandchildren were perfect! Obviously they both took after her. With her age some might have sent her off to live with other wilting creatures in a home that smelt like old people but not her grandchildren, oh no! They preferred to keep her near. Why, one might ask. Well, it was because they were both incompetent cooks and her years of enslavement inside the kitchen walls rendered her a kind of monarch.

 

“Almost done,” the granddaughter stated with relief behind her tone.

 

Instinctively Grandma Huang patted the top of her head in search of loose hair or unfavory bumps. There were none. “Do I look like Audrey Hepburn?” She wanted to know imagining herself twenty years younger and twenty kilos less.

 

“You look better.”

 

“Yüzhen, if you want to lie then be sly about it.”

 

“I’m not joking.”

 

Grandma Huang sighed, exhaling all the air in her lungs before back her breath. Then she flicked her wrist dismissively. “My hair is much better.”

 

“Isn’t that what I just said?” Yüzhen questioned, mirth lurking behind her words.

 

“You’re teasing me!” Grandma exclaimed, appalled that her beauty be compared to the oldies. “Who is it now?” She tapped her chin reminiscing. “Fan Bingbing!” She clapped. “I look like her! Hepburn’s outdated.”

 

Yüzhen nodded good-naturedly. The engine had grown silent and naturally she was waiting to hear good news emerge from her brother’s lips. Had he completed the project he’d sent himself into isolation for?

 

Grandma Huang continued to babble, baffled yet amused about beauty throughout the ages. Unlike those other flowers, she was a timeless classic and would never outgrow time. She’d always been a babe and even now was considered a dame. Even the neighborhood guys stopped to peer at her because one could not simply walk without sending a glance her way.

 

The door clicked open when Grandma Huang was about to offer tips to Yüzhen about accentuating her exotic eyes. Agitated that her grandson had ruined it she snapped, “Zitao where are your manners?”

 

Holding a large bag and bouquet, the gentleman paused and blinked at her. She narrowed her eyes spitefully at the shopping bag that couldn’t possibly belong to her and then proceeded to glare at the grandson who always forgot his grandmother as if he were an elder with dementia.

 

He offered a smile, a sort of bemused grin, and gave them both hugs. His embrace was warm and musky and Grandma Huang swatted at him, sick of telling him not to wear that awful ostrich scent.

 

He only laughed at her and dropped to one knee, eyes glimmering with delight. He offered her the bouquet, stretching his lips as far wide as they would go into a smile. She made a face.

 

“I finished it!” He chortled.

 

There was silence. For a moment they were all shocked trying to digest the news. It wasn’t unexpected but rather the big news they’d been waiting to hear had finally come.


 

“So?” Grandma Huang asked accepting the lillies wondering why his choice in flowers was so strange. She sniffed them and her nostrils filled with their fresh, sweet perfume.

 

“I’m going to sell it. No, I will sell it!” He chimed still glowing. Then he turned to his sister. “Yüzhen, I need you to come with me.”

 

Puzzled Yüzhen looked at him questioningly when handed the bag. She glimpsed at the box inside and tilted her head, brows furrowing.

 

“It’s a dress,” Zitao clarified.

 

“You like her more than me,” Grandma Huang complained pressing her lips into a taut line.

 

At this remark, Yüzhen wrapped her arms around her grandmother proclaiming, “Don’t worry, I love you more!” Rocking back and forth, this seemed to please their grandmother and so Zitao laughed again. Checking his watch he waved at the two mouthing that he had work to finish off.

 

Yüzhen nodded, keeping their grandmother company while Zitao hurried to put on the final touches to his masterpiece. Today was the day he’d officially sign it over to Oh corporation. The security system for their banks was a proposal he’d been given by his former company. He’d been fired while still working on the project, and with less than a skeleton, the company had abandoned the idea and moved on. But he’d strove forward not knowing what else to do and completed it.

 

He was talented, he acknowledged that as he strode to his room and threw open his wardrobe. Flicking through suits he found one that he hadn’t worn yet and eyed it wondering if it was stylish enough. While contemplating, he missed the knock on his door. The door cracked open and Yüzhen poked her head around it before her body followed.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter