Prologue

Eyes Like Stars

Long ago, the Gods sat alone in their thrones. There was nothing around them, nothing to hear or see or feel. It became lonely, and so they created me. They made me out of matter and atoms and life and emotions. They gave me stardust and filled me with beautiful things like flowers and trees and planets and moons and galaxies and nebulas. Then they gave me a name. They called me "The Universe." And so the Gods watched over me and everything that grew within me. Where there had once been tiny microbes grew animals that could touch the skies. I called these "dinosaurs." And although I marveled over these wonderful beings that brought joy, there was a sadness in me that came in the form of a falling rock. It destroyed these animals that challenged the limits of the sky. But out of the rubble came these strange beings. I watched over them with curiosity as they created fire within me and created new emotions and complexity. They changed after many many years and I called them "humans." The humans challenged the skies even more, creating buildings that scraped by the heavens and stood tall amongs clouds. I loved the humans very much. Out of all those within me, they were my favorite. They were complex beings with relationships and intricate feelings and brilliant ideas. And then, one day, the Gods grew tired of watching over me and all that I carried. Although I found joy in everything that I was made up of, the Gods became bored. And so they created six stones called the Empyrean Stones. These stones could grant the holder wondrous powers. They then scattered the Empyrean Stones within me. One fated stone landed on the planet Earth where my beloved humans lived. And one fated man found it. That is where our story begins...