Firework

50 Infinite FanFiction Challenge!

[08/08/15  09:17] By Aderation

Current song:Love Cannot be Done


“Do you know what last the shortest?”

“Butterfly?”

“No.”

“Dragonfly?”

“No.”

“Candle?”

“No.”

“Then what is it?”

“Firework.”

 

“One, two, three.” Three seconds. Woohyun counted as one firework bloomed in the night sky and disappeared.

Three seconds for a firework to rise and fall, three months for Sunggyu to enter Woohyun’s heart, three years for Woohyun to forget.

 

“Nam Woohyun-xi, from today on, you will be temporarily responsible for patient Kim Sunggyu-xi.” Myungsoo, who was in charge of the psychiatric department in the hospital, told him while handing him a file.

“Kim Sunggyu? Isn’t Dr. Lee in charge of him?”

“Oh, Sungyeol is going to America for further study, so, his patients are transferred to other doctors.”

Kim Sunggyu, suffering from Borderline Personality Disorder, had been found attempting to suicide or hurt others including the nurses and Dr. Lee. Because of that, he was ranked the first in “the patient the nurses hate to see most”, due to his infamous temper and sudden change of mood.

 

It was the first day for Woohyun to be in charge of Sunggyu.   Woohyun decided to buy something for him to grab his heart. He went into the flower shop, Among all the colorful flowers, a rose took his attention.

The red, velvet rose danced and swayed in the bunches of flower.

“Please give me this rose.” Woohyun said.

 

“Don’t come closer, don’t come closer!” Screams were heard miles away when Woohyun was on his way to check out his patient for the first time, hands holding the rose. As a doctor, Woohyun immediately rushed to the scene, which was Sunggyu’s ward.

“Please put it down.” Woohyun could hear the shiver in the nurse’s voice. Without second thought, he banged into the ward. He was shocked by the chaotic view. Congee was spattered all over the floor, and the bowl which was made of china shattered, a nurse was trying to calm him down.

Sunggyu noticed Woohyun’s arrival, right hand clenching a piece of sharp china, he screamed, “Who are you? Don’t come near, don’t come closer!”

“Kim Sunggyu-xi, please calm down.” The nurse tried her best to remain not flustered.

“Don’t come closer, don’t come closer!” But Sunggyu just repeated the phrase over and over again, while swinging his right hand fiercely.

“Sunggyu-xi, Dr. Lee didn’t leave this hospital because of you.” Woohyun finally got some clue about what was happening.

“Yes, he did! He left me because I’m troublesome! A thing like me, doesn’t deserve to exist in this world!” Sunggyu said, while putting the piece of glass right on his neck.

Rage, fear, Woohyun saw it through Sunggyu’s eyes which was staring big, lips which was opened and closed numerous times but no sound came out, body which was trembling. He was scared that everyone will leave like what he thought Dr. Lee did.

“There’s no need for you to do something extreme like this.” Woohyun said as he thought if he doesn’t do anything, there will be a possibility of having a bloody ending.

“Don’t come near!” Sunggyu screamed as he saw Woohyun coming near.

“Dr. Lee didn’t leave because of you.”

“Shut up!” Sunggyu said, while pushing the piece of glass into his neck, drip by drip, blood was going down from the glass to his finger, to his arm to the floor. The trail of blood on the man’s arm told Woohyun that he didn’t have much time left, he need to stop Sunggyu from pushing the piece of glass deeper as quick as possible.

“He left because he wanted to study more, learn more, to know more about the disorder you are suffering. He left because he wanted to help you in a more efficient way.”

Doubts and uncertainty were written all over Sunggyu’s face after Woohyun spoke, and the hand which was gripping the glass tightly slightly relaxed. He must grabbed hold of this opportunity, Woohyun thought as he saw Sunggyu’s slight change of emotion.

“He left because he wanted to like you, and wanted you to be cured faster. I’m sure he doesn’t want him to see you hurting yourself.”

Hearing this, the originally wide-opened eyes returned to the usual size, hand left his neck, and finally he dropped the piece of glass and fell on the bed powerlessly, as if all the strength left him all of a sudden. Knowing that the patient’s mental was stabled, Woohyun and the nurse heaved a sigh of relief.

 

Woohyun stood silently in the corner of the ward as the nurse was handling the cut on Sunggyu’s neck and tidied the room. After finishing her work, the nurse scurried away, leaving only Woohyun and Sunggyu in the ward.

Sunggyu sat on the bed while gazing at the blue sky decorated by a few piece of white clouds.

“Sunggyu-xi,” Woohyun broke the silence, “from today on, I will be in charge of you. My name is Nam Woohyun. And this rose, it will by my gift.” Woohyun handed the rose to Sunggyu, a few petals were fallen during the chaos.

Sunggyu finally put his attention on the doctor, he looked at Woohyun without any emotion, the coldness under his black eyes were chilling, like a warning to everyone who wanted to get near him. But Woohyun remained his smile, and took one step forward, until his leg hit the bed.

“Sunggyu-xi, this is a gift for you.” Woohyun repeated, and put the rose in Sunggyu’s hand.

Sunggyu said nothing, and put the rose into the dusty empty vase which was in the corner of the ward.

Woohyun was shocked when Sunggyu was arranging the rose, he smiled. Not the cheesy smile Woohyun held, but an awkward one, his lips twisted into an awkward angle, but Woohyun was sure, Sunggyu was smiling.

 

From that day on, Woohyun would buy a rose before work and give it to Sunggyu. Slowly, Woohyun was in love with the way Sunggyu arranged the roses, the way he made the unnatural smile, the way he twisted his lips. And slowly, Woohyun was in love him, in love with a person whose name was Sunggyu, Kim Sunggyu.

 

Woohyun went to Sunggyu’s ward as usual, but there was no one. The bed sheets were tidied on the bed flawlessly, drawers in the ward were all cleared, and the vase on the corner was empty, not a piece of petal was left, not a drop of water was remained.

“Dr. Nam, what are you doing here? Don’t you know that Sunggyu has moved out?” a nurse standing at doorway said.

Oh, he has moved out, he left without leaving a single trail of his existence, Woohyun thought.

“Sunggyu-xi asked me to give you this.” The nurse said, and handed Woohyun a piece of paper.

 

“Dr. Nam,

Thank you for your kind treatment, I have been much better now, I will be now moving to a sanatorium as my condition is stabled. You are like a firework, that lightens up the originally dark sky. Thank you. I am not a good writer, I even didn’t finish secondary school, I didn’t know how to express my gratitude for all the kindness you showed me. Thank you, Dr. Nam.

Sunggyu.”

 

Firework, they blossomed in the night, they never stayed; just like Woohyun, when the sky is no longer dark, his existence no longer has any meaning, when the time is up, he could no longer stay.


Author: Hi, this is Aderation, I am back with this one-shot: Firework.

For the song I recommended, I don't know why but this song popped out in my mind when I was writing this. If you have any better suggestion, feel free to tell me.

Lastly, subscribe and comment if you like it, it motivates me a lot. :D