Dear Father

Thunder And Lightning

The next morning, a black van arrived outside of the A.N.Jell house. Out stepped Matt, Ruth, and Jaci in earthy tones. Wearing bright orange and red knee-length capris, SoLin stepped out from the driver’s side and walked to the front patio. She looked at the three kids and stated, “Be good today.”

From the roof, ShinWoo watched and movement from the van caught his attention as TaeJin, in all green, stepped from the van and joined the others. Looking very slick and punk rock in a goth-styled outfit, she greeted Jolie, Jeremy’s dog, with affection.

SoLin sighed and took a seat as MiNam and MiNyu stepped out of the house wearing black. “Good morning,” SoLin smiled.

MiNam and MiNyu looked at the conservative dress of SoLin and then the rather more y professional way TaeJin was styled. MiNam looked at himself and then MiNyu before he asked, “Are we dressed appropriately?”

SoLin smiled and frowned, “You have anything in green or orange?”

MiNyu nodded and then followed her brother back into the house to change. ShinWoo watched them and then froze when TaeJin looked up to see him watching them. “Stalker,” she stated, clearly, and ShinWoo pulled back, surprised to be so embarrassed.

When he sat down, he heard it. Something soft and gentle; a song being hummed by someone below. It was gentle and sweet, and earth-shatteringly sad at the same time. He wondered who was singing it and then heard SoLin suddenly laugh. He got up and leaned over to see MiNam and MiNyu standing there; MiNam in a black shirt and dark green pants and MiNyu in a pink shirt and forest green skirt.

SoLin walked over to them and nodded, “That’ll do.” She, then, led the way to the van. The song also stopped as TaeJin followed along, the last to hop into the van. Before she shut the door, she looked up at ShinWoo and waved.

ShinWoo swallowed. He wasn’t too sure how to react to that. But he wasn’t given a lot of time to himself because Matt, Ruth, and Jaci were suddenly on the roof, looking around. “So, this is a pretty nice place,” Matt stated.

Ruth smiled, “I want to climb that tree.

Jaci walked over and sat down across the table from ShinWoo, throwing one of her feet on the table, “You like TaeJin, right?” ShinWoo stared at her blankly.

***

In the van, SoLin played calm and gentle guitar music as MiNam sat in the passenger seat. In the back, MiNyu and TaeJin were quiet. They rode for a couple hours before SoLin stopped at a rest stop and bought noodle soup for everyone. While they ate, SoLin was quiet, so MiNyu asked, “Why green or orange?”

SoLin smiled and replied, “SoJin’s favorite color is orange and green. So, when we go see her, she’ll be all the more happy to see us, right?” she smiled.

TaeJin smiled and added, “But she liked green more, right?” she asked SoLin.

MiNam nodded and remembered, “I thought the photos were just off-colored.”

TaeJin smiled, “Wait till you look through the other albums. It’s very obvious,” she added, smiling.

MiNyu smiled, “Our mother was quite peculiar.”

TaeJin nodded, “Our mothers are very peculiar.”

MiNyu and MiNam laughed as SoLin finished off her noodle. “Let’s go, kids!”

And on the road they were again. For at least four hours and then they stopped. MiNyu recognized it having been there in the past with MiJa, and MiNam only seemed partially interested.

When the van stopped, SoLin got out of the car, followed by MiNam and MiNyu. TaeJin reached into the back and pulled out orchid wreaths and a colorful bouquet. MiNyu and Solin took the wreaths and bouquets. TaeJin handed MiNam a bag of tools, and then pulled another stranger bag from the back.

SoLin smiled and then locked the doors. She led the way up to the cemetery plot and then stopped at the grave behind the others. SoLin dropped the wreaths on the ground and sat down. MiNyu frowned and asked, “What are you doing?”

SoLin replied, “Take a seat and let the men do the work.”

MiNyu frowned, “Men?”

TaeJing nudged MiNam aside and smiled, “Go sit down for a bit. This might take a while,” she added and kneeled in front of the grave plaque. She sprayed something noxious and then wiped away the residue from time passing from the marble SoLin had replaced over the rock.

MiNyu frowned and then asked, “Why are their graves apart?”

SoLin was quiet for a bit and then she replied, “SoJin is buried at our family plot. She asked me to before she passed on. She said she wanted to be near our mother, who passed away while giving birth to us.” Off of MiNyu’s look, SoLin sighed and added, “It’s not hereditary, but circumstance.”

When TaeJin walked over to them, she frowned and dropped her bag of tools. “It’s done,” she stated. SoLin stood and picked up the wreaths.

MiNyu peeked over and was surprised to see the ground around the grave so clean and green. There were five bright candles burning and incense next to it. In the ground, there were a few holes for flowers. She smiled and picked up a bouquet. She walked over to the plaque and placed it into one of the holes.

MiNam frowned and asked, “We didn’t see this when we came.”

SoLin nodded, “You wouldn’t. You come on the day of his death or his birthday. We come on SoJin’s birthday. When my husband or son comes, they clean up for us.” SoLin smiled and touched the grave plaque. “Hello, friend. I’m bringing your children to see their mother today. I will take care of them as best as I can, too,” she added and bowed her head one time.

SoLin passed the incense to TaeJin, who held it in her hands. “Please be happy,” was all she said before she turned and passed the sticks to MiNam.

MiNyu watched her brother struggle for words and then she stated, “You don’t have to say it out loud.”

MiNam closed his eyes and then bowed his head once. He handed her the sticks and she did the same. When they sat under the shade later, SoLin sat alone in front of the plaque and was quiet. MiNyu watched her and then, out of the blue, TaeJin asked, “You guys didn’t say anything to him, did you?”

Both of them looked at each other and then at TaeJin, who smiled.

“Because I couldn’t figure out what to say, I always wish happiness to him. Although he hurt my aunt and my mother, and cost my cousins for most of my life,” TaeJin turned to them and smiled, “we can’t let the past hold onto us. We have to keep moving forward,” she added.

MiNyu turned to look at SoLin and then smiled, “I want to see my mother more.”

MiNam was quiet. But TaeJin stood and nodded, “Let’s go, then.” She walked over to SoLin and after a moment, SoLin rose and, with an arm around TaeJin’s shoulder, they picked up two bags of tools and walked over to the shade. MiNam and MiNyu stood and followed. They walked down quietly and then hopped aboard the van. On the drive to the next location, MiNyu checked her phone and smiled, seeing a photo of Jeremy with Matt, Ruth, and Jaci at the amusement park. She couldn’t help but smile when she thought of how TaeKyung and ShinWoo must have reacted to the suggestion.