First Song

Thunder And Lightning

SoLin stood next to TaeJin as they waited for the elevator and frowned. Hands on her hips, she asked, “Is that your final decision?” When TaeJin simply nodded, SoLin led TaeJin into the elevator and they rode it up in silence.

The entire walk into President Ahn’s office, a dense silence hung between them until President Ahn welcomed them into his office. To which, SoLin turned to him and asked, “Would Jeremy or ShinWoo be better a performance duet partner?”

President Ahn sat down and then thought for a moment. He also chose to narrate his thoughts to the women, “Although Jeremy is easier to get along with, ShinWoo plays and follows better, with the capability to lead. Both appear very handsome, and neither are uneasy to play with.” President Ahn stood and started pacing, “Jeremy is childlike and very cute, so many of the viewers will enjoy this side of him. ShinWoo is the strong, skilled, and silent type, very manly, which also attracts many viewers of the older variety.” And then he turend to SoLin, “Who will they be dueting with?”

SoLin smiled, “With my daughter, TaeJin.”

President Ahn smiled and nodded, “Yes! I think I have just the young many in mind for you! It will be perfect!” he hurried to his phone and then added to the ladies, “This will make great headlines and clear up any of the rumors that had been flying around!”

SoLin smiled and TaeJin sighed, hoping and praying President Ahn would call for Jeremy and not the monster that suddenly stole her first kiss.

***

That morning, TaeKyung had woken up early to make breakfast when he saw MiNam and MiNyu already at it. When Jeremy and ShinWoo joined them, everyone ate quietly. There was so much everyone wanted to say and yet, so little time and reason, or privacy, to say it all.

First, and the least complicated, was Jeremy, who wondered what Ruth’s email meant. He looked on his phone again and read it, ‘Don’t talk to TaeHyun.’ He shrugged and continued eating merrily.

To Jeremy’s right was ShinWoo, who ate quietly. Every time he took a sip of water, he wiped his lips, his fingers lingering on his lips an extra second or two. He glanced around, making sure no one noticed, before continuing to eat his meal.

MiNam sat to ShinWoo’s right and he was very quiet. What he didn’t tell anyone was that he was

MiNam smiled and hurried to the front porch before anyone could ask him anything. That left TaeKyung with MiNyu seated one seat away from the others. And as they ate, both were quiet and focused on eating. Other things were, obviously, on their minds, but neither of them said anything while the other guys were around.

Finally, Jeremy broke the silence and asked, “Isn’t TaeHyun the brother of TaeJin?”

At that, ShinWoo nearly choked on his water. MiNyu smiled, “Yeah, that’s SoLin’s older twin. She also had a boy and a girl.” MiNyu asked, quickly, “What about him?”

Jeremy looked from TaeKyung’s warning look to ShinWoo’s complacent expression, and replied, “Ruth just mentioned him, that’s all.”

To that, MiNyu asked, “You’re still talking to Ruth?”

Jeremy nodded, “We exchanged information before she left.”

MiNyu sighed, “I want to meet him. I wonder how much like TaeJin he is?” And then she nudged spun in her seat and added, “I’ll get ready for work now!” And she was gone.

When TaeKyung finished his meal, he sighed and then told ShinWoo and Jeremy, “We have to leave within the hour. We have to prepare for the release of our next album. We have to select the songs, record, and then shoot the music videos. So,” he checked his phone and added, “let’s go.”

ShinWoo turned to Jeremy and then asked, “Did Ruth say if TaeHyun was coming?”

Jeremy smiled, “No. But we have to go, now,” he spun in his seat and hurried up the stairs.

ShinWoo sighed and checked his phone. There were no messages. So, he put away his phone and moved the dirty dishes to the sink before he hurried off to get ready to leave. So many unspoken words, and he had the most on his mind. Especially, when his mind kept thinking about the soft lips that still made him tingle.

***

When ShinWoo walked to President Ahn’s office, he froze, seeing SoLin and TaeJin seated with him. President Ahn smiled and stood, “ShinWoo, come sit down. We have an important matter to discuss!”

ShinWoo semi-bowed to SoLin and then TaeJin. As he took his seat, SoLin smiled, “Because the other kids have returned to America, TaeJin stayed because of a few prior engagements.”

President Ahn nodded, “I understand, I understand. After a long tour, most young people just want to go home. TaeJin-sshi, thank you for staying with your mother,” he added.

ShinWoo watched the carefulness between President Ahn and SoLin and then noticed the stiffness of TaeJin’s behavior. So, just as carefully, he asked, “What’s going on? Why have you called for me?”

President Ahn smiled, “The video of your impromptu performance at the Guitar Center has attracted a lot of attention. After a sad goodbye between Jeremy and Ruth at the airport, it’s only natural that people would hope to see TaeJin perform with you, so I’d like for you to go along with TaeJin to some of the gigs and duet with her.”

ShinWoo turned to TaeJin and frowned, “I wouldn’t want to cause any dating rumors to start up again,” he stated.

SoLin smiled, “Because Jeremy and Ruth took that fall, A.N. Entertainment is admitting to ShinWoo working with TaeJin to promote Smooth Edges in Korea and A.N.Jell in America. So, the duet makes sense and explains things easier,” she added.

ShinWoo looked from President Ahn’s confident gaze to SoLin’s reassuring one. He turned to TaeJin and asked, “Are you alright with me as a duet partner?”

TaeJin stiffly replied, “As long as you perform to the best of your capabilities. We should practice today because we have a performance tonight at a café,” she added. She stood and so did ShinWoo, “So, are you ready?”

ShinWoo smiled and stood, “Let’s go.” 

TaeJin walked out of the office as ShinWoo followed. SoLin smiled and leaned closer to President Ahn, enjoying the professional flirting she received from him.

***

In another room, a practice room, TaeJin sat with ShinWoo and they glared at each other. TaeJin swallowed and stated, “Our dueting together is strictly for publicity reasons. There is nothing personal about this.”

ShinWoo stared at TaeJin for a long time and then he asked, “What did you think about our kiss?”

TaeJin swallowed and ground out, “I only ask that you remain professional and work with me to improve.” TaeJin looked away from ShinWoo during the last part.

ShinWoo smiled and nodded, “Let’s see what we come up with. Maybe we can let our feelings go.” He his amp and strummed a few chords. And as he played, he watched TaeJin shut her eyes and play along with him as she felt right. Her hands moved from chord to chord without looking at him.

ShinWoo smiled and leaned forward, moving closer to TaeJin, who sat quietly as she played just by listening. ShinWoo swallowed and leaned closer, moving a stool closer before taking a seat on it. He played a bit and then reached out with his right hand. He pulled his hand around her neck, to the back of her head, and pulled her face to his. Without hesitation, he kissed her openly and then held on even when she pulled away.

Oddly enough, she stopped fighting and he felt a hand on his neck. That hand trailed down his neck and rested there. The music stopped and their feedback grew until both pulled away from the ear-splitting pitch that shattered their mood and, for the moment, their hearing.

TaeJin stood and immediately turned away from ShinWoo, picking up some chords with vigor and annoyance. She kept going and ShinWoo stood and stepped back. As much as he felt in their moment’s kiss, he had to respect the music she played and play along. Somehow, something about her kissing him back told him that there would be more kisses to come.

***

TaeKyung frowned when ShinWoo didn’t return to their practice room, so he stepped out into the hallway and walked through the atrium to the other side of the building. On his way, he stopped when he caught sight of ShinWoo holding onto TaeJin’s face as he kissed her. The feedback and music mingled together but it was the kiss that caught his attention and he jumped away from the window.

He frowned and then stated, “They are trying to take ShinWoo away, too.” And then he shook his head, “Not going to happen.” He walked down the hall and pulled out his phone. He waited and then growled into the phone, “Where are you? Can we talk?” And he disappeared down the hall.