Surprises

Thunder And Lightning

As the sun rose in the morning, TaeJin woke up and jumped out of bed. She brushed her teeth, hair, and then got dressed before heading down stairs to find SoLin making breakfast. Sometimes, SoLin preferred to buy something, but this time, SoLin chose to cook.

When TaeJin sat down, SoLin placed a pate of scrambled eggs, turkey bacon, and potato sheets before her and TaeJin grinned from ear to ear. “TaeHyun special! What’s the occasion?” she asked, picking up her fork and digging in immediately.

SoLin smiled, taking a seat across from TaeJin with her own plate, “Your brother changed his travel arrangements to an earlier time. He wants to meet Go MiNam and MiNyu.”

TaeJin chewed slowly and then asked, “What about Dad?”

“Naturally, he’s rearranging his schedule so that he an be here with us at some point in time. He wants to take the hike again,” SoLin added, smiling while shaking her head.

TaeJin sighed, “Would you look at that. The family, altogether in SoKo. Should we give a special concert to celebrate the occasion?”

SoLin sighed, “We’ll see what your father wants to do. In the mean time, please give yourself a better presence here. Also,” SoLin took a sip of her tea, and added, “it would be nice if you could get your weasel to support the idea of MiNyu coming with us.”

TaeJin set aside her fork and took a sip of her tea. “Aside from your benefit, why would that be a good thing? Her life, her brother, her boyfriend; they’re all here.”

“But her family is not. The family she had been seeking for so long,” SoLin sighed and then asked, “Do you not like her?”

“I feel like you’re trying to steal her from her life, here. Like you’re worried that what happened to Auntie will happen to MiNyu if you leave her here, by his side,” TaeJin stated bluntly.

SoLin thought about the words and then nodded, “I see what you’re getting at with this, but I feel it is unfair for you to say it to me.”

But TaeJin didn’t back down, something flickered behind her eyes, something that SoLin couldn’t read. “Mom. Seriously? Don’t try to replace the gal with the woman. They’re two VERY different people.”

“I know that,” SoLin snapped, a bit more upset than she hoped to admit.

TaeJin shrugged and picked up her fork again, “Just saying.”

The rest of the breakfast was spent going through their schedules. SoLin started on a special music show that afternoon and TaeJin had a small gig at a coffee shop she would duet with ShinWoo at. She wasn’t excited about it but wondered how different it would be to duet with MiNyu or MiNam instead.

***

For ShinWoo, he was content waking and preparing for the day with everyone else before he went off in another direction, to a private studio where TaeJin waited for him. He enjoyed seeing the independent musicians practicing and wondered if he would one day be a stepping-stone for them. But even when they saw him, they didn’t recognize him.

Naturally, even before he entered the room, he could hear the high-pitched notes she riffed through the walls. He waited for her to stop and then walked in to find her with headphones on, playing from an amp. He shut the door behind him and asked, “What’s the schedule today?”

TaeJin smiled, pulling off her headphones, and replied, “There’s a gig at a coffee house my mom often does when she’s back. Since she can’t make it, they agreed to book me instead. So, we have to learn all of their classics and find our own spin on it.”

ShinWoo frowned, “Who’s the extra mics for?” he asked, eyeing the three extra microphones on stands.

TaeJin shrugged, “My mom asked some extra vocalists to help. They’ll be here at one. You ready?” she asked.

ShinWoo pulled out his electric guitar and checked his pitch, glancing to see that they had a few good hours alone. When he was ready, he sat back on a stool and nodded. TaeJin handed him sheet music and he looked them over. He wondered just what he’d gotten himself into and then, at one, when MiNyu walked in, he watched as TaeJin smile, it seemed, for the first time that day.

“I brought some beverages for you guys,” MiNyu smiled and TaeJin walked over, first.

TaeJin hugged MiNyu and then asked, “Hey, what brings you by?”

“Aunt SoLin said you might need another vocalist for this upcoming performance. So, I told her that I could help out after class,” she beamed.

TaeJin nodded, “Read my mind, like always. Grab a mic and warm up. Can you read sheet music?” TaeJin handed an extra copy to MiNyu as ShinWoo took a break.

As TaeJin walked MiNyu through the music ShinWoo checked his phone for news and found a curious rumor about an Asian American composer arriving in Seoul in just hours. But, without a name, a face, or more information, ShinWoo moved on, not caring about the possibilities of the evening to come.

***

When rehearsals were done, TaeJin packed up and called for transportation as MiNyu and ShinWoo continued to go over the music, but in a much more relaxed manner. ShinWoo smiled, seeing MiNyu work so hard, and then asked, “Why are you so nervous around your own cousin?”

MiNyu looked up at ShinWoo and asked, “You noticed, too?” ShinWoo nodded and then MiNyu sighed, “I’m sure that, if you can tell, she must be able to see it, too.” MiNyu covered her face with the sheet music and answered, “I researched a bit about Aunt SoLin and her family and,” she dropped the papers, still staring up at the ceiling, “there is NO WAY I can live up to their capabilities.”

ShinWoo smiled, “What do you mean?”

TaeJin sat up and turned to ShinWoo, neither noticed the door opening ajar and stop when MiNyu jumped right into it. “Aunt SoLin is one of the most famous producer and managers of the international music scene. Her husband is a world-class film composer and conductor, no lie! TaeJin is amazing and her twin brother is a genius. They have been in the music scene for years and years!”

ShinWoo patted MiNyu’s head and chided, “Then, I think it’s time to impress them with your amazing singing abilities so you can join their ranks.”

MiNyu sighed and shook her head, “TaeJin sings too well. I feel like,” she paused and relented with, “I’ll only get in the way.” ShinWoo was silent and so, MiNyu continued, “They are a family. They know and love each other. They take care of and protect one another. MiNam and I just barely are siblings, and for the longest time, we’ve been searching for our family. I just wonder if they’ll really let us in or are we hoping for too much?”

ShinWoo swallowed, remembering feeling such a way. He reached out and then let his hand drop. “MiNyu, don’t be afraid of the answers that you’ve been searching for. It takes courage to seek, and even more to accept. You can do it,” he added, nodding confidently at her.

MiNyu sighed and sat up, too. “You’re right, ShinWoo. Thank you. I will do my best and sing well tonight,” she added, perking up.

ShinWoo nodded and, indicating her sheet music, he asked, “What parts are you still nervous about?” MiNyu smiled and pointed. ShinWoo helped her easily. And on the other side of the door, TaeJin stepped back from the door and sighed, visibly steadying herself.

***

At InCheon Interantional Airport, a man stepped off the airplane and walked through the tube. This man was tall, handsome, and cleanly dressed down, in a T-Shirt and jeans. He pulled along his carry-on and bypassed many of the other passengers on the plane as he made his way to customs.

As he waited in line, he chewed gum and listened to his ipod. One by one, those in front of him were processed, and when it came his turn, he walked up to the window. The security officer looked over his papers and then did a double take. From the page to the man, and then stated, “Please remove your sunglasses.”

The man removed his sunglasses and smiled at the camera. The security officer swallowed and asked, “Mr. Lee TaeHyun?”

Some around them whispered and some pulled out their phones, but TaeHyun simply nodded and admitted, “Yes, sir?”

The man looked around and then slipped TaeHyun a blank piece of paper, “Please, if you would, my son is a big fan.”

TaeHyun pulled out a pen and then looked up at the security officer. “Your son wants to become a composer?” TaeHyun asked casually, ignoring the other curious eyes. The security officer nodded and then TaeHyun smiled, “Then, I can’t wait to hear his stuff.” TaeHyun wrote a note and then signed his name. He, then, took out his phone and turned around. “I want to remember this!” He lifted his phone and took a selfie with the excited security officer.

“Thank you, Mr. Lee!” the security officer exclaimed.

TaeHyun winked and stated, “Tell your son to check my feed for that image. Kids these days always need proof,” he added and gathered his papers before hurrying on. Getting through the airport was harder after that for TaeHyun, but when he saw SoLin waiting for him with a car, he dropped his bag and embraced his mother.

“Hey, honey,” SoLin smiled, patting her tall son’s back.

TaeHyun nuzzled SoLin and then asked, “Will we make it in time?”

SoLin nodded, “We’ll make it JUST in time.”

TaeHyun laughed and tossed his bag into the trunk before he helped his mother into the car and jumped in himself. As she pulled from the curbside, TaeHyun watched a small crowd gather, taking photos of their car as they left. He’d forgotten about the low profile he often forgot to keep, but, since his mother didn’t seem to mind, he simply looked forward to the night of excitement ahead.