First Duet

Thunder And Lightning

The café was dim but still quite packed. Those who couldn’t secure seats stood in the open floor area and safety zones. And when TaeJin stepped on stage, the house erupted in hooting and cheers. TaeJin smiled and walked up to a microphone. “Mic check, one-two, can everyone hear me?” When ShinWoo and MiNyu walked onto the stage, TaeJin tried again, “In the words of the eternal B.I. master,” she cleared as her reference found favor amongst most of the audience, “Mic check, 1, 2, my name’s not B.I. The show has now begun, it’s my time now. Now you all go back, back.” TaeJin plugged in her guitar and ShinWoo did so, as well.

TaeJin smiled and tuned her guitar. ShinWoo tuned up as MiNyu sat on a stool between the two guitarists. When they were clear, TaeJin nodded and adjusted her mic stand. She nodded and MiNyu said aloud, “Mic check.” TaeJin motioned to the sound board and they turned her up.

TaeJin nodded to ShinWoo and he also spoke into the microphone, “Mic check.”

TaeJin nodded and then picked a scale. As the house lights dimmed, TaeJin nodded and counted off softly, “One, two, three, four,” and their first chord was hard, rough, and ragged. MiNyu counted the beats and when she sang, TaeJin and ShinWoo pulled back so that her voice could be heard. ShinWoo watched TaeJin carefully, matching her beat and TaeJin rocked for her team’s benefit. Together, they proceeded through their first set of songs that flowed, one into another, some were covers and some were original music. But all of it sounded natural and at ease.

After almost ten, the drums came to life and TaeJin turned and laughed out loud as the spotlight hit TaeHyun. ShinWoo turned and, unable to catch a clear sight, he simply played on, following the incredible drummer. MiNyu turned to watch TaeJin step closer to the drummer, challenging his dominance with the sound of her electric guitar riffs. But the drummer played on, until TaeJin backed down and ended the song.

As the café audience cheered, TaeJin laughed and announced, “We’re going to take a break.” With that, she set her guitar aside and, as the drummer walked by, TaeJin jumped onto his back and rode him off stage. MiNyu and ShinWoo walked off together to find TaeJin laughing merrily.

When ShinWoo and MiNyu joined them, TaeJin waited a moment before she introduced, “Kang ShinWoo, Go MiNyu, this is is Lee TaeHyun, my older brother.”

TaeHyun smiled and shook ShinWoo’s hand and then MiNyu’s. He held onto MiNyu’s hand and then laughed, “Hey, we’re related!” He pulled her into his arms for a big bear hug. MiNyu froze up and then TaeHyun released her. “Where is MiNam?” he asked, looking around.

ShinWoo spoke up quickly, “MiNam is working on music tonight with TaeKyung.”

MiNyu frowned and turned to ShinWoo, “He is?”

TaeJin smiled and TaeHyun nudged her. “Hey, you know, since Mom’s not here, we might as well?” he smiled.

TaeJin sighed and rolled her eyes, “I wonder about that.” Then, she nodded, “Let’s give it a try.”

TaeHyun moved to the back and pulled out a double-stringed acoustic guitar. He, then, walked on stage and plugged into the system. MiNyu frowned and then asked, “What’s going on?”

TaeJin sighed, “Hyun’s going to show off, now.” She sighed and then turned to ShinWoo, “TaeHyun’s a natural born genius when it comes to music so, no hard feelings.” So MiNyu and ShinWoo sat down at the table reserved for the band as TaeJin walked onto the stage and TaeHyun walked off. In that moment, the crowds quieted and TaeJin adjusted her mic so that she could sit down.

MiNyu smiled, her eyes glimmering with excitement. And then she pulled out her phone and prepared to record video. Next to her, ShinWoo crossed his arms and spoke his mind, “I wonder how TaeHyun plays.”

And MiNyu sighed, “I wish Oppa was here to see it, too.”

On stage, TaeJin smiled and said into the microphone, “It is my honor, tonight, to be playing for one of my cousins with my twin brother, Lee TaeHyun.” There was a general murmur of excitement and anticipation as TaeHyun walked onto the stage and bowed. “For those of you who may not know, Lee SoJin and my mother, Lee SoLin, first performed here, together. Back then, they called themselves ‘The Storm’ and, tonight, my brother and I will recreate their debut song. Please sing along if you know it,” she added.

MiNyu frowned and asked, “The Storm?”

ShinWoo’s eyes lit up with recognition and he replied, “They were pretty well known in the circles as girls who played the guitar very well.” The audience sat quietly as the TaeHyun and TaeJin played an earth-shattering duet pitting an electric guitar against an acoustic guitar. As TaeJin played a beautiful melody, TaeHyun weaved a counter melody around it until both were rocking at full force. In the space, no one said a word as the two threw down their all, and then added a soft duet at the end, like the rainbow at the end of the storm.

The room rose in a standing ovation and then TaeHyun sat closer to the mic, “Thanks for having me. Honestly, I’ve only met Aunt SoJin once but even that encounter is as fresh in my memory as if it were yesterday. Lee SoJin is unforgettable, from her smile to her voice. I will always remember her as a most beautiful and wonderful Aunt in the world.” TaeHyun sat back and then TaeJin motioned for ShinWoo and MiNyu return to the stage.

As they played for the next two or so hours, it was obvious that they were having fun without a planned set, for TaeHyun joined them on the drums and dictated the set as he saw fit. MiNyu enjoyed the randomness and ShinWoo did his best to keep up, sometimes falling back into the chords.

***

SoLin sat with the other judges and watched the young artists perform. She listened closely but gave only mediocre markings. She sighed and when they took a break, she checked her messages to see a spike in activity. Along with a video clip of TaeHyun and TaeJin performing ‘The Storm’ at a café. Unable to take it, she jumped up the moment the shooting was finished and left the studio.

She hurried into a taxi and raced across town to the café. She jumped in as TaeJin played the first three chords of her usual repertoire. With a smile, SoLin walked on stage and pulled on a bass guitar.

TaeJin turned and laughed, leaning closer to the mic and announced, “Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Lee SoLin!”

ShinWoo and MiNyu turned to see SoLin step forward and play a bass line that made, even older people, jump up on their feet. TaeJin backed away from the microphone as SoLin stepped up to it, “Thank you, ladies and gentlemen! I hope you’ll enjoy this. For the first time, I am performing with my niece, Go MiNyu!”

After that, she cried out and ShinWoo followed SoLin, TaeJin, and TaeHyun into a medley of rock solid songs, MiNyu singing with SoLin as best as she could, and TaeJin blasting out guitar solos that ShinWoo had trouble keeping up with. It was no doubt they were family, but as ShinWoo watched, SoLin moved so that MiNyu stood between TaeJin and SoLin, just in front of TaeHyun. And as she sang with SoLin and, he noticed the wild side of MiNyu jump out. It was unlike anything he’d ever seen from MiNyu and he knew it had to be because of SoLin because, after all, they were family.

ShinWoo knew he’d have to tell TaeKyung but, for some reason, ShinWoo couldn’t keep his attention off of TaeJin for very long. For all her claims of working hard and not being a genius, he finally noticed just how far behind she was TaeHyun and how badly she wanted to catch up to him. It wasn’t a complex she had, but a reality. TaeJin worked hardest on that stage and it showed.

***

Later that night, SoLin laughed with MiNyu and TaeJin on the front patio as TaeHyun and ShinWoo stood on the roof top patio of the A.N.Jell house. The others weren’t back yet, so they just chatted and waited. TaeHyun had noticed ShinWoo’s eyes and attention to TaeJin, and he had heard from Ruth, Jaci, and Matt about the Korean boys, so he knew very well he ought to have words with ShinWoo right away.

So, on the rooftop, TaeHyun sighed and stated, “You can seek the stars from here.”

ShinWoo nodded. “You can feel the breeze, too.”

TaeHyun peeked down below and leaned on the wall, his hands comfortable against the cool stone, “So, what is it? You like TaeJin or something?” he asked, a bit awkwardly.

ShinWoo turned to TaeHyun, who continued watching his family down below, and then ShinWoo asked, “What if I do?”

And then TaeHyun did the one thing ShinWoo was not expecting him to. TaeHyun turned and leaned close to ShinWoo, who was too surprised to move. TaeHyun kissed ShinWoo on the lips and then pulled back. ShinWoo stepped back, in surprise and touched his lips.

TaeHyun smiled and shook his head, “Are you sure you like her?”

ShinWoo swallowed but still didn’t move. TaeHyun looked over, a bit sideways, at ShinWoo, who, in that moment, felt as though TaeJin looked at him, and not TaeHyun. But he shook his head and looked away from TaeHyun. “Please leave,” was all he managed to say.

TaeHyun smiled, seeing the response he hoped to see. He KNEW how to look more like TaeJin and he also remembered Ruth’s rebound suspicions about ShinWoo. Being biual, TaeHyun enjoyed the idea of kissing ShinWoo to confuse him. After all, if ShinWoo could find his way back to TaeJin, then TaeHyun knew the guy was for real. If not, then ShinWoo would just be like the other fakers who claimed interest in TaeHyun’s darling little sister. He wasn’t just protective of her, no; he was determined to weed out the losers.