My Mother

Thunder And Lightning

They drove on for a ways and then SoLin pulled off the main road. MiNam’s eyes widened but he kept quiet as he attempted to navigate, but SoLin laughed, “We’re almost there! No worries, I know the way,” she added.

MiNam turned to MiNyu, who also frowned. But TaeJin smiled, “Don’t worry. The main road is out. Well,” she paused and then laughed, “even if it was fine, Mom would still take this road!” And then she shouted, “Mom! You want me to drive?

SoLin rolled that idea around in her head and replied, “How about on the way back?

TaeJin smiled and MiNam and MiNyu simply held on to their seats, surprised at SoLin’s sudden gung-ho attitude. And when the shaking stopped, they reached the end of a road. After gathering the left over wreaths and bouquets, MiNam picked up his tool bag and TaeJin her other bag. They headed away from the road, through the woods, and past a clearing marked with a few graves.

The graves they passed were clean and well kept. It was obvious that it was very different from the other graveyard they had been at earlier. Also, something about the air around the graves seemed warmer and gentler than the others.

They moved past another patch of trees that grew a big rougher and climbed up a hill. When SoLin stopped, she spread her arms wide and shouted, “We’re here!”

SoLin took off running past a few plaques and then stopped, dropping the flowers. TaeJin led MiNam and MiNyu over to two prominent tombstones that were marble and polished. “Our grandparents lay here,” she bowed to them respectfully and then led them past the graves to one with a large plaque. “Hello, Aunt SoJin. Happy birthday,” she added, dropping her bag.

SoLin got to work wiping the marble stones as TaeJin wiped the plaques around them. MiNam watched her work quickly and asked, “Who is everyone else?”

TaeJin smiled, “Well, the parents of our grandparents are seated by the shade of the trees so that they don’t get too burnt. Some of their siblings and relatives trail down that way,” she waved to the left, “but the rest of the graves are close friends and family of our family.”

MiNyu placed a few candles on the plaque and asked, “You guys maintain all of these?”

TaeJin nodded, “For the most part, my parents, my brother, and me do our best. Some of the villagers who knew our family help us, too.” She moved to the side and placed the wreaths carefully.

MiNam frowned and then asked, “The village?”

MiNyu’s eyes lit up, “Do we have more family out there?”

TaeJin nodded, “Our mothers have a few cousins here and there. I wonder what my brother would think of you guys,” she added and then fell back on the grass. She closed her eyes and sighed.

MiNam moved over and did the same. MiNyu, however, stayed in front of her mother’s plaque until SoLin walked over and sat down next to her. “SoJin was the brightest and always the happiest singer. When we performed together, I felt electricity in the air. Nothing really beat the feeling,” she added.

Just like that, SoLin sang the first lines of a familiar song and then MiNyu joined in. As MiNyu took over the melody and SoLin harmonized the lower part. As they sang together, MiNyu felt tears in her eyes and SoLin held her close. Neither finished the song, but both felt as though SoJin were there, holding them.

***

TaeKyung checked his phone and then jumped up. He grabbed a jacket and walked out of his bedroom. He’d been waiting for MiNyu to return but when she texted that she would join the others at the amusement park, he wasn’t about to let that chance to have fun with her pass by. As he walked out of the house, ShinWoo caught sight of him and asked, “Leaving already?”

TaeKyung looked back at him and replied, “MiNam and MiNyu are going to join the others at the amusement park. I think SoLin and TaeJin will be with them,” he added.

ShinWoo nodded, “I’ll drive separately so we have enough seats on the way back.” TaeKyung nodded and left. ShinWoo hurried down the stairs and when he got into his car, he stopped. He thought about it and then he asked himself, “Why do I want to see her so much?”

***

SoLin sat with MiNam as TaeKyung listened to MiNyu talk about the day’s events, Jeremy and Ruth chatted merrily about rides, Jaci and Matt shared an ice cream cone, and TaeJin and ShinWoo avoided each other.

MiNam turned to SoLin and asked, “You know what I do?”

SoLin nodded, “I do.”

“Then,” MiNam took a deep breath and then asked, “Do you think I have what it takes to become a solo artist?”

SoLin thought about it and then asked, “A.N. Entertainment will promote you to do singles and solo albums already.”

MiNam shook his head, “I mean, to end my contact with A.N.Jell and be launched as a new artist.”

SoLin frowned, turning to MiNam and noticing an air of indecisiveness around him she hadn’t noticed before. She asked carefully, “Is that what you want?” MiNam shrugged and then SoLin added, “To be an independent artist that carries their own weight is tough. Not many people in our industry can manage it, and if they do, it’s more than likely they won’t be there for long or they’ll make many enemies along the way.”

MiNam nodded, “Wasn’t my mother a solo artist?”

SoLin smiled, “She would have been launched as a solo artist, but I managed the band. Because I was always with her, we always worked together, she could have made it.” SoLin turned to MiNam and then warned him, “Many artists in groups feel that way quite often. You have to check yourself to see if you can really handle everything on your own. It’s tough and possible, but also a very painful and rough road. Although SoJin would have been launched as a single artist to the public, she never had the confidence to play alone. And though you may have the confidence, you might not have the talent or strength to do it all on your own. So think carefully before you make your decision.”

MiNam looked very discouraged so SoLin reached out and placed a hand on his shoulder. “It’s not a bad thing to consider this. It may feel selfish, but if you don’t think for yourself, who will?” she asked.

MiNam nodded, “It’s like Smooth Edges. Everyone is good enough to be launched on their own, but they remain a group and are stronger for that. I get it,” he added.

A few tables away, ShinWoo said to TaeJin, “You sing well.”

TaeJin didn’t even turn to look at ShinWoo when she stated, “I’ve never heard you sing.”

ShinWoo swallowed and then offered, “Would you like to hear me sing?”

“No thanks,” TaeJin refused quickly.

ShinWoo turned to her and frowned, “Then, should we sing together?”

TaeJin stood and stretched, “I don’t sing with amateurs.” She walked away from the group, not really wanting to sit close to someone she didn’t want to talk to.

But ShinWoo got up and followed her away from the group. Keeping within sight of her friends, TaeJin stood at the railing, watching the carousel turn in circles. Her eyes followed the spinning lights and she ignored it when ShinWoo joined her, leaning against the railing.

“Do you like the carousel the most?” ShinWoo asked. When TaeJin didn’t respond, he confessed, “I like amusement parks most. I want to take my girlfriend here on our first date.”

“So do it,” TaeJin suggested.

ShinWoo turned to look at her, “When I get one, I will.”

TaeJin was quiet for a moment and then she admitted, “I hate amusement parks. There are lots of people, it’s are dirty, and it’s easy to lose people here.” ShinWoo swallowed and was quiet. TaeJin, feeling the lull, pushed away from the rail and frowned, “I do like the carousel, though.” She hopped over the rail and mounted a pony.

ShinWoo’s eyes widened and he called out, “You have to pay to ride!”

TaeJin ignored him and held on as the carousel turned. Without a warning, Matt and Jaci also hopped over the rail. Ruth and Jeremy were next and TaeKyung helped MiNyu over, before MiNam and SoLin joined ShinWoo.

ShinWoo frowned and shook his head, “They’re acting like children.”

“You ARE still children,” SoLin corrected. She looked at the two of them and rolled her eyes, “Cherish your youth, kids.” With that, she jumped the railing and hopped aboard the carousel.

MiNam and ShinWoo frowned and then MiNam stepped over the rail and, once he found MiNyu, got on the carousel and stood close to her. ShinWoo hopped over afterwards and sat on a bench, watching TaeJin laugh with her mom as they rode side by side. It was both strange and endearing, seeing them so close. He wondered if the feelings he had were simply because of their Western ways, or could they be more?