Kindred Spirits

Thunder And Lightning

The next day, President Ahn hung up the phone and exclaimed, “This is big news!” He turned to a runner and commanded, “Bring me Go Mi Nam immediately!” And then the runner was off.

Through the A.N. building, the runner didn’t stop until she reached the A.N.Jell practice room. Out of breath, Jeremy quickly gave the girl some water before she panted, “President Ahn wants to see Go Mi Nam right away.”

To this, Hwang Tae Kyung rolled his eyes and replied, “He could have just texted him.”

Kang Shin Woo smiled, “And waste the runner system he recently set up?”

Jeremy smiled and walked back to his seat behind the drum set. Go Mi Nam, however, stepped away from the piano and followed the runner out the door.

When Go MiNam sat down in front of President Ahn, the excited older man exclaimed, “I’ve been doing what you’ve asked me to and I’ve found some interesting connections to your deceased father and mother!”

MiNam felt his heart drop but he pulled out his phone and started recording the conversation, as he normally did for the sake of MiNyu. “Please continue,” was all MiNam stated.

President Ahn gladly did so, “Not too many people knew much about your parents, but there was someone else who was close to Lee SoJin. In fact, it was rumored that they were related or grew up together. Her name is Lee SoLin. She is part of a traveling show and is in town for a few days. Mo HwaRan was kind enough to ask her to contact me. So,” he smiled brightly, “she has agreed to come and visit today!”

MiNam nodded and replied, “Thank you, President Ahn.”

“Don’t mention it,” the man continued happily, “so we will plan a lunch where you can bring your sister to meet and talk with her. I’m sure she would be excited about this.”

MiNam nodded, “Yes, she would.” MiNam held back the fact that she had also been searching since TaeKyung gave her the photo of their mother, for more information and connections.

Later, when MiNyu arrived at A.N. Headquarters, she looked very excited.  MiNam smiled and brought her with him down to the ground level as the rest of A.N.Jell remained on the upper levels, just watching. Although MiNam and MiNyu were the ones about to have their worlds rocked or shaken, ShinWoo noticed that it was TaeKyung who looked the most worried.

ShinWoo frowned and noted, “It’s unlike you to be so obvious with your feelings.”

TaeKyung scowled and replied, “I don’t want MiNyu to be let down, again.” And then, as if prodded, he added, “I also don’t want to give her reason to leave.”

“Why would she leave?” ShinWoo asked.

TaeKyung sighed, “If she wants to get to know her family better and nothing can be found here, then I think she would go to where there was more information. I would do that,” he murmured.

ShinWoo frowned but all conversation died when the doors opened and Mo HwaRan walked in next to Lee SoLin. ShinWoo found himself glaring at them before he realized it. Jeremy looked at each of the members and then watched as HwaRan and SoLin approached President Ahn and the twins.

HwaRan smiled and shook President Ahn’s hand, “Thank you for meeting with us. This is Lee SoLin.”

President Ahn shook her hand and then stepped aside as MiNam and MiNyu stared blankly at SoLin, who smiled and bowed slightly, “My name is Lee SoLin.” And then she added, “I wanted to go for tea and wondered if Go MiNam and MiNyu would like to come with me.”

HwaRan didn’t even flinch when SoLin made the suggestion. President Ahn looked surprised, but SoLin added, “I thought it would be better to be more personal, if you don’t mind. My daughter is waiting in the car outside.”

President Ahn nodded, “Of course, of course. Please, do as you like,” he added and then led HwaRan away from them.

Above, TaeKyung, ShinWoo, and Jeremy moved to the stairs quickly as SoLin turned and led MiNam and MiNyu out. When they reached the car, SoLin got into the passenger’s seat and MiNam and MiNyu got into the back. TaeJin heard the doors close and then drove off even as the members of A.N.Jell reached them.

SoLin smiled, “They are very protective of you two.”

MiNam replied, “They are like family to us.”

There was no more conversation until TaeJin stopped in front of their home. MiNam and MiNyu got out and looked at the Western-styled house and then MiNyu asked, “Where are we?”

SoLin smiled, “This is the house I grew up in. This is my family’s house,” she added and then walked up the lawn to the porch, where a lovely tablecloth covered the wooden table and desserts sat in the center of the table. There were four chairs around it, a few other chairs off to the side. As they approached, Ruth stepped out and placed chilled tea and juice on the table, before she stepped inside the house and closed the door.

SoLin walked over to a chair and motioned for everyone to take a seat. When MiNam and MiNyu sat down, side by side, MiNam across from SoLin and MiNyu across from TaeJin, MiNyu’s phone rang.

SoLin smiled and stated, “Reassure your friends of your wellbeing.”

MiNyu picked up the phone and cringed before replying, “We are at her home. I will call you when we are done.” She waited for a moment and then she looked around, “The address?”

SoLin extended her arm and then MiNyu placed her phone in her hand. SoLin stated, “Drive to the traditional gardens and then turn left. Bring your friends, too.” She hung up the phone and returned it to MiNyu, who looked shocked. So, SoLin asked, “Am I wrong?”

TaeJin smiled, “I think we have enough meat.”

MiNam cleared his throat and then asked, “Lee SoLin-sshi, how do you know our mother?”

TaeJing smiled and stood, offering tea and then juice, before sitting back down. SoLin sighed and smiled gently to them, “Fraternal twins run in our family.” She took a sip of her tea and then added, “SoJin, your mother, was my younger twin sister.”

MiNam and MiNyu were silent and then TaeJin put in, “That makes me your cousin, older than you guys by two years.”

SoLin smiled and then her eyes became sad, “SoJin grew up with me in this house. We’ve broken ever window, door, and nearly burned the place down once. She was always happy, laughing, and she sang like an angel.”

“Did you sing with her?” MiNyu asked, very much in a trance and forgetting to speak formally.

SoLin didn’t mind. “Of course I did, but I have a very different sound. A rocker sound,” she added playfully and then became solemn. “The last time I saw SoJin was when she gave birth to her twins. I had just returned from China when she called in pain and sadness, so I rushed to be by her side. I was angry that her man wasn’t there, but there wasn’t any time. She delivered her children and then passed away shortly after naming them.” MiNam and MiNyu listened carefully as SoLin continued, “After that, I fought for custody but I was too young and their father won.” SoLin sighed and stared at her cup, “When I heard he passed on, I returned but he left custody to his sister, Go MiJa. So I fought again, for custody, but she won and so I left. If I knew she would give you two up, I would have fought harder,” SoLin brushed away her tears. “In the music world, SoJin and I were known to be very close friends and I only wanted to write music for her to sing. She was my thunder,” SoLin recalled with a smile.

MiNyu frowned, “What does that mean?”

Tears welled up in SoLin’s eyes as she looked up and replied, “I was the lighting that wrote the songs and she was the singer who delivered them to earth, like the thunder. We were a perfect team until she met that man, Go JaeHyun.” She swallowed and added, “I don’t hate him, but, to me, he will always be the man who stole my thunder.”

MiNam sighed and sat back as MiNyu took a sip of her tea. She had been searching but she never thought she would be so lucky to have discovered everything all at once.

TaeJin turned and stated, “I sense the arrival of the white knights.”

SoLin nodded, “Good, the more cooks we shall have.”

TaeJin stood and walked into the house. SoLin waited and then stated, “I don’t know much about Go JaeHyun’s earlier years, but I’m sure MiJa can tell you about him if you asked. I can tell you about him as a songwriter and a friend. Of course,” she added briskly, “I am a bit more biased, him having dated my sister and all.”

MiNyu nodded and then asked eagerly, “What about photos? Do you have any I can have?” With such an opportunity, MiNyu wanted this to last as long as possible. Also, she wondered why she was always unable to figure anything out about her mother and, somehow, she knew Lee SoLin would have answers no one else would have.