Washing and Losing

Random Normalcy

Where Taeyeon is in time but Tiffany is too late, or maybe not.

(And Umma Kim is awesome while Daddy Hwang is clueless.)

 

She runs to the washing area in a panic and slams the door wide open, only to find her mother staring, hands frozen in midair.

 

"Is someone dying?" Umma Kim asks as she picks up another piece of clothing from the laundry basket.

 

"No," Taeyeon mutters under her breath and starts digging through the pile of dirty laundry.

 

"I sure thought there is, at least you scared the life out of me," her mother says begrudgingly. "And what are you looking for? Stop making a mess!"

 

"I... erm... have you seen my jeans? I threw them here just hours ago," Taeyeon asks, not stopping her attempts to seek for her pair of jeans.

 

"Why? You left something important in your pocket?" her mother asks as she empties the pockets of the pants in her hands. "I told you many times, Taeyeon, you should check your pockets before dumping them in the laundry basket."

 

"Erm..." Taeyeon hesitates. "I... I left some coins in my pocket."

 

"Well, too bad," Umma Kim shrugs and throws the pants into the washing machine. "Finders keepers."

 

"Umma..." Taeyeon whines as she looks to the side and sees some wet laundry already hanging at the side. She gasps and turns to her mother to asks, "You haven't get to my jeans, have you?"

 

"I haven't wash them, if that's what you mean," Umma Kim says as she picks up the next piece of clothing, a shirt this time, and pulls the long sleeves out the right way.

 

Taeyeon sighs in relief but frowns when she reaches the end of the pile without finding her pair of jeans. "Where is it?" Taeyeon utters to herself. "I am pretty sure I left them here."

 

Taeyeon then eyes the washing machine which her mother has been putting clothings into and makes her way there.

 

"Yah, stop messing up the laundry," Umma Kim stops her. "So who's Tiffany?"

 

Taeyeon freezes in her spot. 

 

"A project mate?" Taeyeon replies, sounding a little too unsure that she wants to kick herself.

 

Umma Kim raises her brows skeptically, reaches into her own pocket to take out a piece of pink paper and reads it. "Call me?"

 

"Umma!" Taeyeon frantically reaches out to snatch the paper back. "Don't you know what's privacy? Why are you looking through my things?"

 

"I wasn't looking through, it's more of looking at. The paper isn't even folded!" Umma Kim rolls her eyes. "Besides, you should thank me for looking through all your laundry or it will not be a paper but pieces of what used to be one piece of paper that you are looking at right now."

 

"Well, thank you then," Taeyeon acts nonchalant as she walks out of the washing area.

 

"What about the dollar coin in your pocket?" Umma Kim shouts at the leaving Taeyeon.

 

"You can keep it as thanks!" Taeyeon shouts back.

 

"That brat," Umma Kim whispers to herself, albeit fondly with a smile. "Wonder what this Tiffany sees in her."

 

-

 

She runs to the washing area in a panic and slams the door wide open, only to find her father staring, hands frozen in midair.

 

"Am I dreaming?" Daddy Hwang asks as he hangs a piece of clothing on the laundry line.

 

"No," Tiffany mutters under her breath and looks at the pile of washed clothings.

 

"I hope not, it would be real sad if I am still doing laundry in my dreams," her father says begrudgingly. "Why are you up so early? You never wake up till past 10am on weekends."

 

"I... erm... have you seen my jeans? I threw them here just last night," Tiffany asks.

 

"Yeah, they are..." Daddy Hwang points to the piece of clothing at the end of laundry line. "...right there."

 

"Daddy! You washed them all already?!" Tiffany exclaims in horror as she half jogs to the pair of wet jeans.

 

"Yup," Daddy Hwang pumps his fist in the air. "Ain't I awesome?"

 

Tiffany doesn't reply but as she reaches into her pocket, pieces of blue paper falls out.

 

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!" Tiffany shrieks and gathers the pieces to put it on the table at the side, trying to piece them the right way.

 

"O...kay..." Daddy Hwang backs away, knowing better not to get involve in anything Tiffany is doing at the moment.

 

After a few minutes, Tiffany gives up and hits her forehead on the table in defeat.

 

"Noooooooooooooooooo..." Tiffany whines and mutters indecipherable words to herself.

 

Just then, Tiffany's phone rings but she is too immerse in her world of wallowing-in-self-pity to care.

 

"Are you going to pick that up?" Daddy Hwang asks carefully. 

 

He watches his daughter for another 5 seconds. "Guess not."

 

"Hello?"

 

"No, this is her dad speaking."

 

"I would love to put you through but I strongly suggest you call slightly later. She is currently busy time travelling to when she was five."

 

"Oh, nothing to worry about, I think she is just upset that her blue piece of paper is ruined in the wash."

 

"Sure, I will let her know that Taeyeon called."

 

Taeyeon?!

 

Tiffany jerks right up from her position and stares wide eye at her father.

 

She runs to her father only to see that the call has already ended.

 

"What?" Daddy Hwang asks bewilderedly.

 

Tiffany quickly grabs her phone from her father to check her call log. She squeals when she sees an unknown number at the top of the list.

 

"I love you Daddy!" Tiffany hugs her father and then hugs the phone like she has found gold.

 

"If you aren't my daughter, I would have thought you are crazy," Daddy Hwang whispers to himself as he watches Tiffany smiling giddly while walking out of the laundry area.

 

Tiffany smiles even wider when she sees a message come in.

 

So I heard a certain 5 year old lost my paper in the wash, glad my mom was nosy enough to save my pink paper and possibly my heart.

I sure hope you have caller ID.

Call me.

 

-

 

A/N: Who else forgets stuff in their pockets?