Waiting -

Random Normalcy

Where Taeyeon falls asleep waiting while Tiffany waits to go to sleep.

 

"Taetae? Taetae," A voice called out to her.

 

Taeyeon jerks wide awake in fear that she has missed the exact timing. Instead of looking at her caller, Taeyeon looks at the clock.

 

11.30pm

 

Taeyeon sighs in relief.

 

"Go to sleep if you are tired."

 

"Yes, umma." Taeyeon picks up her phone, stands up from the living room couch and makes her way to her room.

 

Once in her room, Taeyeon lies on her bed only to sit right up immediately. She isn't going to fall asleep again, knowing that she won't wake up till next morning and that will be disastrous. Maybe she exaggerated but at least, her falling asleep would have put a dent in her plan and her efforts to stay up till now.

 

Taeyeon looks at her bedside clock again and smiles. It is a Hello Kitty clock that her bestfriend insisted that they get together. She still remembers how her friend persistently tried to persuade her to get it when they were just kids. Well, judging by how it still works after all these years, Taeyeon is glad that she finally gave in and bought it.

 

However, another glance at the time sends Taeyeon groaning.

 

11.35pm

 

Only five minutes have past? Why is time passing so slowly? Taeyeon thinks to herself.

 

She looks at the seconds hand ticking and wishes that she can make it go faster. Soon, she finds herself getting lull to sleep by the consistent ticking and quickly pinches herself awake.

 

"Ouch!" Taeyeon pouts and mutters to herself. "This will not do."

 

She picks up her phone and starts playing her game.

 

Just as she completes one stage of her game, Taeyeon looks up from her phone to glance at the clock.

 

12.02am

 

Taeyeon curses inwardly and quickly exits her game to open the chat message.

 

Happy sweet 18th birthday! XOXO

 

She clicks send immediately and sighs.

 

Taeyeon is about to put down her phone when it suddenly comes to life and rings at full volume. She almost shrieks in surprise but she manages to answer the call before the ringing of her phone wakes her whole family up.

 

"YAH!"

 

Taeyeon has to pull the phone away from her ear to spare herself from the loudness of the voice coming from the other end.

 

"You are 2 minutes late!"

 

"Gosh, keep it down! My family is asleep and I am sure yours too," Taeyeon whispers into the phone. "And hello to you too."

 

"Sorry," Tiffany lowers her voice. "But you are still late!"

 

"Sorry about that," Taeyeon rubs her neck apologetically, not that Tiffany can see. "I swear I didn't forget! I just lost track of time."

 

"Apology accepted," Tiffany says smugly. "Now where's my gift?"

 

"How am I suppose to give it to you now?" Taeyeon rolls her eyes. 

 

"Fine, I will be waiting at school later today," Tiffany says.

 

Taeyeon shakes her head at her best friend's usual demanding self, abeit fondly.

 

"Close your eyes," Taeyeon asks.

 

"Why?"

 

"Just do it," Taeyeon requests.

 

"O...K..." Tiffany hesistantly obeys. "Now what?"

 

"Ssshh, be patient," Taeyeon says. "Now imagine a cake in front of you with candles."

 

"Done."

 

Tiffany waits as Taeyeon takes a deep breath.

 

"Happy birthday to you~ Happy birthday to you~ Happy birthday to my dearest yeppunie~ Happy birthday to you!" Taeyeon sings into the phone.

 

"You can sing it without getting me to close my eyes, you know?" Tiffany laughs.

 

"Yah, just go with it!" Taeyeon retorts. "Now make a wish."

 

There is a moment of silence before Taeyeon continues. "Blow the candles when you are done."

 

"WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO."

 

"Yah! Did you have to do that?" Taeyeon pull the phone away from her ear again.

 

"Of course," Tiffany chuckles. "There are 18 candles!"

 

"So what did you wish for?" Taeyeon asks.

 

"Not going to tell," Tiffany says. "Or it won't come true."

 

"Alright," Taeyeon gives up almost immediately, eyelids closing. "It's late and we have school tomorrow, you should go to sleep."

 

"I wanted to but someone is late and I was waiting," Tiffany replies.

 

"Waiting?" Taeyeon mumbles, feeling tired.

 

"Nothing," Tiffany avoids the question. For your message.

 

"Goodnight Taetae."

 

"Hmm, good night."

 

Just as the line is cut off, Tiffany stares at her phone and sighs.

 

I wish we can be more.

 

-

 

A/N: Happy birthday Tiffany!

 

To be continued.