Staring at the Ceiling

Random Normalcy

Where Tiffany returns home and finds Taeyeon on the bed staring at their ceiling.

 

Just as the front door slams shut, Tiffany kicks off her heels with a sigh of relief. She is finally home, away from the chaos that is probably still sweeping through her office and off the killer heels that has been reminding her of the blisters that never seem to go away. 

 

"I am home," Tiffany mutters, partly out of habit but mostly to remind herself that she needs to stop thinking about work. Dumping her bag on the living room couch, she wonders vaguely where the other occupant of the house is. The question is quickly answered when she saunters into her room, just as she strips herself off her coat.

 

"Hi," Taeyeon says without moving a muscle. 

 

"Hi yourself," Tiffany replies and places her coat on the chair in front of the dressing table. "What are you doing?"

 

"Nothing," Taeyeon replies promptly, eyes on Tiffany momentarily before moving back to stare at the ceiling. A question is about to escape her lips when Tiffany pauses and follows Taeyeon's line of sight... to the ceiling.

 

Tiffany then forgets what she was going to ask and shrugs. She is too tired to process and entertain more thoughts that she decides that lying down next to Taeyeon is better for no particular reason.

 

Taeyeon shifts a little to make space for Tiffany but remains silent nonetheless.

 

After what seems like five seconds, Taeyeon turns her head towards Tiffany and asks, "Why are you staring at the ceiling?"

 

"Why are you staring at the ceiling?" Tiffany retorts.

 

Taeyeon blinks and ponders for a moment before returning her eyes to the ceiling.

 

"I don't know. I just thought the weather was nice for a jog and so I went jogging, only to realise that I haven't exercise for awhile. After a hot shower, I feel like my bones are coming apart and I am aching all over. So here I am, lying on the bed not moving any of my muscles and staring at the ceiling."

 

"Oh." Tiffany responds noncommitantly and continues staring at the ceiling.

 

"You?" Taeyeon prompts.

 

"I don't know." Tiffany sighs. "I just thought I can handle two cases at a time and so I accepted them, only to realise that it is impossible. After coming home from work, I feel like my world is coming apart and this is the only place where I can relax. So here I am, lying on the bed not wanting to think about anything work related and staring at the ceiling."

 

"Oh." Taeyeon says as she reach over to pull Tiffany into a hug. Planting a chaste kiss on Tiffany's forehead, Taeyeon says, "Let's try this again."

 

Tiffany raises her brows.

 

"I don't know. I just thought I will never find true love and so I resigned to my fate, only to realise how wrong I was till I met you. After having you in my life, I feel like I own the world and there is nothing I can't do. So here I am, lying on the bed, wondering what can I do to make you feel the same or even better and staring at the ceiling."

 

 Tiffany laughs and snuggles into Taeyeon's arms.

 

"You are already doing it." Tiffany smiles.

 

"You know what will make you feel better?" Taeyeon grins at seeing Tiffany's smile. "You should take a hot shower and then we can stare at the ceiling together."

 

"Are you implying that I stink?" Tiffany narrows her eyes at Taeyeon.

 

"No, I am just saying from experience."

 

Tiffany chuckles and moves off the bed. She strips off her clothes on the way to the bathroom, fully aware of the pair of eyes following her.

 

"Eyes on the ceiling, Taetae," Tiffany teases as she drops the last piece of clothing on the floor.

 

Ignoring her aching muscles, Taeyeon jumps off the bed. "Another hot shower won't kill."

 

"In fact, it can be therapeutic." Taeyeon notes thoughtfully as she hears Tiffany laughing out loud in the bathroom.

 

"We can just stare at the ceiling later." Taeyeon adds before joining Tiffany in the showers.

 

-

 

A/N: What in the world am I writing?