005

Through Fire and Water
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ironically, the whispers that came after was deafening.

So this is what everyone has been talking about earlier.

"You really put my name in there," I said, addressing Aeri. But even so, how in the world am I paired with Kim Taehyung of all people? There's just no logical reason to how this can be.

"No, I didn't. I just heard that someone did put your name. But how the hell are you paired with Kim Taehyung?!" Aeri screamed, her fists already turning white from clenching it.

If Aeri didn't do it, then who? I look at Kim Taehyung across me but he was just standing there with a blank face, making it hard for me to tell how he's truly feeling about this surprise. It seems like minutes has passed when I saw Jihyo unnie finally standing up from her seat and decided to break the ice.

Addressing the magical pot, she asked, “Excuse me, but did we hear you right? Did you just say Kim Taehyung and Jung Juno?”

Jihyo unnie tried to sound composed, but I did not miss the hint of worry in her voice.

Everyone went silent to hear the magical pot's response. It took a few seconds before it finally responded with, "Yes, Kim Taehyung and Jung Juno. I make no mistakes."

Mr. Kang remained silent during this exchange, but with the magical pot's reaffirmation, he looked at me with this stern face and announced, "I guess it can't be helped then. Rules are rules, no exceptions for anyone. So, Kim Taehyung and Jung Juno, come forward."

 

 

That stupid pot definitely made a mistake.

If you call being a magnet for misfortune a supernatural ability, then that must be my second and more dominant ability. Who would have expected that I, who absolutely has nothing to offer, was chosen to be against Kim Taehyung?

I guess people won’t be seeing the entertainment that they were looking forward to. You can go home now, people.

All this will end in the blink of an eye and I'm not even sure if that's supposed to be a good thing.

Just like me, Taehyung stood frozen in his seat. None of us moved to the platform until escorts already appeared to lead us to the platform. I still wanted to protest, to say that something is definitely wrong with this setup, that someone is playing another bad prank on me, but I couldn't find my voice to do so.

With every step I take towards the platform, my heart beats louder and louder that I couldn’t even hear the cheers the crowd was giving Taehyung. The temptation to turn around and just run away was so strong. But as fear was once again creeping in, I feel the necklace that I was wearing, and was reminded of the resolution I made for this battle. I let out a deep breath – an attempt to calm this crazily beating heart.

Come on fire. Even if just for today, give me the courage and strength that everyone is crediting you for.

 

 

Once both Taehyung and I stood in the platform, it further elevated until we reached about 30 ft above the ground. This finally signals the start of the battle.

Taehyung stood there, keeping silent and this makes me anxious because it's very unlike him. It doesn't seem like Taehyung to keep his mouth shut when something related to me pisses him off.

"You're pissed, right? Then why aren't you saying anything?" I asked.

After a few seconds of remaining silent, Taehyung answered, "Unlike you, I actually have this feeling that the magical pot didn't make a mistake with this battle pairing."

Surprised, I asked, "What do you mean?"

He looked at me sternly and said, "The first time I met you, I've always felt that you're...different. Like you've been hiding something all this time."

"I don't know what the you're talking about."

What is he even babbling about? Unless he's talking about my family, what else is there for me to hide?

"I may be wrong, too. But in any case, I'm still not going easy on you."

Still not understanding where he's coming from, I simply answered, "Sounds fair to me."

Both of us stood there, seemingly waiting for the other's first move, when all of a sudden, a circle of blue light appeared on the ground before Taehyung. This light was soon followed by the entrance of a huge water dragon. It was a huge red-eyed blue dragon with water as its scales. All this was summoned without Taehyung moving an inch, not even his hands.

This is Kim Taehyungs's power.

In no time, the water dragon charge towards me. Of course, I can only run away from it. Maybe it was luck (finally) or  the result of my training, but I managed to dodge the water dragon’s first attack. Barely. Once I escaped the first attack, however, the water dragon quickly prepared for the second one.

Sensing how the water dragon is aiming for my leg, I jumped once it was about to hit my leg, successfully avoiding the second attack.

"You can't keep running away, Juno. You've got to show us what you've got." Taehyung said, seemingly expecting something from me.

Expecting another attack from the water dragon, I was taken aback and confused when it abruptly disappeared. Taehyung took this chance to lock my feet on the ground by solidifying a pool of water that appeared on where I was standing. He then slowly approached me, stopping just until he was a few feet in front of me.

Snickering, he said, “I was thinking of ending this quickly, but on second thought, maybe we should have some fun. After all, a lot of people came to see you, right? But it's about time you use your powers, or else our audience will also get bored."

I can't even if I wanted to. Of all people, shouldn't he be the one to know that best?

Stubbornly I tried to sneak a punch to his stomach. This time, however,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter