Chapter IX

Unstoppable Force Meets Immovable Object

Chapter IX.

---


"Are people hurting you?"

Tiffany is idly rubbing her thumb across the back of Jessica's hand when the bookworm's breath tickles the shell of her ear.

Surprise is evident on the athlete's face when her brows crinkle, contemplating. Tiffany wonders what brought on the sudden question.

"No,"

It isn't really a lie. The only time someone had intentionally hurt her was at the locker room. With the nails in her shoe. That was it. As of now, she's only experiencing verbal assault. But is that what Jessica had meant to say?

"Then look at me,"

Tiffany turns her head, but the truth is splayed all across her face. She twists away when she sees how Jessica's mouth is crossed.

Jessica purses her lips as she tugs on the athlete's hand, Tiffany's fingers combing over the little hairs on her skin.

"Just.." Tiffany's brow visibly furrows as she struggles to form the right words to say. "..Maybe a little..?"

Jessica's sigh - although light - somehow freezes Tiffany from ear to toe. It is chilling to hear the disappointment evidently laced in her tone.

She keeps her gaze settled on Jessica's slim digits as Jessica speaks, reprimanding. Concerned.

"Don't let them," the writer's fingers slowly uncurl under Tiffany's grip, "don't let them walk all over you."

Tiffany merely smiles beneath Jessica's pouring affection, the bookworm unclasping their fingers until the air begins to seep between the spaces of her hand again.

She tugs on Jessica's little finger when the writer attempts to stand, gently pulling her back. Tiffany's eyes fade into inverted crescents at the feel of Jessica's pinky beneath her skin. It is so adorably tiny.

Jessica cranes her neck to look down at her, strands of blonde curling over her raised brows. Tiffany returns Jessica's question.

"Are people hurting you?"

Tiffany's stomach jumps and chest does flip flops at the sight of Jessica's curved lips.

Jessica curls her pinky so it twists around the athlete's own little finger. The writer tugs at the knot they've made, lifting it so it hovers just in front of their faces.

Jessica's smile reaches Tiffany's eyes.

"They can't see me, therefore they can't hurt me."

Because Jessica is a porcelain doll made to be admired behind glass.

"..I see you,"

Tiffany's lips linger over Jessica's tiny finger, laying gentle kisses across her skin. She becomes worried when Jessica pulls away, lifting her head only to feel Jessica's lips touch her forehead.

Tiffany can't explain their type of relationship.

"I know," Jessica whispers, mouth writing her heart across warm skin. "So please don't hurt me."

---


Tiffany sees the mob of students crowding around the entrance to the garden. Others come running in to take a peek down the hall, their noises loud enough to reach classes found on the other side of the building.

Jessica's hand tugs her back when she motions towards it.

"It's probably something pointless,"

Tiffany casts a second glance, wondering why their cheers are so obnoxiously loud. As far as she knew, nothing could defeat the cheers found in audiences at a game. Was this something more enjoyable for everyone?

"Je - Jessica?"

Cold air brushes harshly against her hand, their grip gone. She watches the bookworm sprint towards the mob, her fingers laying limp at her sides. Worry envelopes Tiffany when she sees the frantic look on Jessica's face before she disappears through the crowd.

That something isn't so pointless anymore.

---


"Shh, I got you."

Jessica holds her, arms secured tightly around the smaller figure. Taeyeon continues to tremble under her grip.

It isn't the gushing water and howling laughter that hurts Jessica as she shields Taeyeon. It's the muffled chants of 'I knew it, I knew it, I knew it,'against her collarbone that does.

Jessica holds her closer, presses her hand behind the shorter blonde's head. She cradles her, protects her from the laughter that continues to infiltrate her eardrums.

"I got you. I got you. Shh, I got you."

Her mantra does not seem to reach her, Taeyeon continuing to sob against her shoulder. Her cries are piercing, sharper than the sound of a screeching chalkboard. It makes Jessica wince under its volume.

Jessica can hear Taeyeon's heart through her cries.

The writer presses Taeyeon until her shivering body closes tightly against her own. She does not miss the fact that laughter still continues to linger in the background.

Jessica doesn't understand what has happened, what went wrong, but all she understands is that Taeyeon is burrowing deeper into herself. Through her sobs, she can feel Taeyeon gradually disappear. As if the tears she cries are what's left of her.

The writer attempts to ease her pain, to stop her from fading, her lips pressing gently against the top of Taeyeon's head.

She tells her that everything's going to be okay.

"Shh, I got you. I got you."

Even if Jessica herself isn't sure of it.

---

"Wha —"

Tiffany winces when she is shoved against the wall, keeping her from following Jessica, her right foot having twisted at an awkward angle from the fierce momentum. Her shoulders begin to sting from the fingers that continue to dip through her sweater, into her skin.

Her bag drops to the floor, but the loud thud does not catch the crowd's attention, their backs still facing her. The mob still cheering.

"I told you, didn't I?"

Tiffany hisses when she rests her weight on her injured foot, feeling immeasurable amount of pain surging up her leg. She grits her teeth to quell the throbbing sensation as she fixes her gaze on her attacker.

"'If we can't break you'," her breath settles across the shell of Tiffany's ear, "'we'll break your friends'."

Tiffany grunts when her fingers curl even deeper into her shoulders.

"We broke Taeyeon today,"

Her whisper makes Tiffany's eyes instantly flare, anger quickly shooting through her system. Her obsidian pools immediately narrow as she leans in so their faces are mere inches apart.

"She'll be just like us. Permanently."

Tiffany growls at the girl's statement, throat beginning to sting. Without a second thought, Tiffany knocks their foreheads together, dangerously hovering over the other girl as she watches her stumble onto her back on the floor.

Rage overcomes her judgement, fingers tightly curled around the other girl's neck as she watches her suffocate.

Tiffany's fingers are dangerously closing in on her windpipe as she sneers.

"She's perfect the way she is," the athlete leans in, uncharacteristically angry beyond belief. "And you break her so she'll be just like everyone else? A plastic doll?!"

Taeyeon had always been fragile from the start. Tiffany knew that. That was why she never bothered reprimanding her for mimicking others in the first place. It had fascinated her even, how Taeyeon could easily mime a variety of personalities.

But at the end of the day, it'd be Taeyeon she was talking to. Not herself.

"Th - The world is plastic.." Tiffany growls when the other girl's fingers touch her own to uncoil her grip, "..h - haven't you n - noticed the lack of - " the girl grunts, gasping for air, " - the lack of re - realism here..?"

Tiffany can feel the tremor in her hands, fingers uncontrollably shaking from the frustration that's overwhelming her being.

The girl beneath her allows a tight curve to lift upwards at the corner of her lips despite the situation. The athlete wills herself not to punch her.

"Wh - Why do you think we're still here..?"

Tiffany's grip loosens even if she doesn't want to.

"So you don't mind living a lie..?"

The athlete's hoarse whisper only evokes a wry chuckle beneath her. The girl coughs as Tiffany's fingers uncoil, oxygen finally seeping into her lungs.

"It - It isn't quite a lie anymore when it's the truth, is it..?"

Tiffany sees how the girl's obsidian mane is sprawled across the floor, a black pool of onyx strands. The rage that had once enveloped her, has dissipated, leaving her shuddering in its wake.

"Hurts doesn't it?" Tiffany struggles to stand, ignoring the girl, as she rests her hand against the wall for support. "The truth always does," she finishes, her voice still rasp.

The athlete keeps mum, wincing as she places her weight on her left leg, her right ankle still throbbing.

"Why not go and look for yourself?"

Tiffany realizes that the cheers have yet to subside, the entrance to the garden still packed with students. Her mind is finally clear and she cranes her neck to see the girl begin to walk away. Dusting her sleeves.

"Better be careful," Tiffany crinkles her brows as the girl looks over her shoulder, "or else you won't be able to participate in the upcoming tournament, anymore."

The athlete doesn't cast her a second glance, memorizing the initials posted on her sweater 'IM.Y'.

She slips her duffel bag over her shoulder and hides her pain as soon as she gets through the crowd, wobbling to lean against a pole for support.

Taeyeon is huddled at the centre, hands clutched tightly against her drenched sleeves. Her form is visibly shaking underneath Jessica's hold, the writer offering words of support as she cradles her. Taeyeon doesn't seem to hear her, though.

The large pool of water beneath her feet is not missed by Tiffany's flaring eyes.

She sees the offending hose being held loosely, its owner seemingly dazed.

The athlete rests her hand gently atop the water hose to lower it, drips of liquid slipping through. Tiffany's voice is ragged, bewilderment painted over her expression as she takes the offending object from the girl's hand.

Tiffany can't bring herself to feel angry anymore.

"Sunny.." the athlete calls quietly, empathetic.

The shorter blonde is staring helplessly at her, eyes wide in shock. Tiffany can read the guilt reflected in her auburn pools. Her friends had probably left her to fend on her own (to take the blame).

The water hose is cold beneath her skin. Liquid flits between the spaces of her fingers as Tiffany pulls Sunny in with her free arm.

Blonde strands tickle her chin as Tiffany shuts her eyes so the crowd disappears from her vision and all she can hear are Sunny's sobs and Taeyeon's faint cries in the background.

She lets a few tears stray from her eye lids. They are for everyone. For Sunny. For Taeyeon.

For herself.

Even if it's not meant for her, Tiffany finds comfort in Jessica's voice. There is strength in her words.
 

"I got you. I got you. I got you. Shhh, I got you. You're going to be okay."


Tiffany holds Sunny closer, fingertips brushing her scalp. Her eyes squeeze tighter.

They'll be okay.

Jessica said so.

---


"U - Unnie?"

The athlete stumbles in ungracefully with unkempt hair and stained attire. Tiffany glides her hands across the walls on each side as she hops, right leg lifted almost childishly, as she motions through the room.

The wry grin on her face does not dispel Juhyun's worried look as she drops her duffel bag to the floor.

"What happened?"

Juhyun loops her arm around Tiffany's waist to aid her, settling her on the bed. She immediately crouches and is careful when she grasps the athlete's right foot, slipping her shoe off for her.

The younger woman purses her lips when Tiffany whimpers, biting the inside of her cheek as she eyes her ankle. It is evidently swollen; the skin a dark pinkish, greenish, purple.

"I just tripped —"

"— Please don't embellish the truth, unnie."

Juhyun frowns when Tiffany chuckles.

The athlete ruffles the younger girl's hair, fingertips softly combing across her scalp. Tries to ease the tension on her temples. It still does nothing to quell the frustration in Juhyun's eyes.

"You know me so well,"

Juhyun's brows crinkle, throat dry.

"I do," she glides her hand across Tiffany's ankle, "So tell me the truth, even if it'll hurt."

Tiffany's curved lips is wistful, Juhyun getting up for the first aid kit. She fumbles through the cabinets, somehow feeling her chest unsteady despite her calm exterior. She in a breath in a poor attempt to brace herself.

"Someone just wanted to talk to me,"

Juhyun bites her lip. It was still sugar-coated.

"About what?"

She settles a small stool across from the athlete so she can sit comfortably to tend to her injury. With ease, she pops open the kit as she lays Tiffany's foot on her lap.

The words slip automatically from her lips as she murmurs repetitive apologies, hearing Tiffany grunt and yelp every time she grazes over a sensitive spot.

"Just.." Tiffany's quiet trail only makes Juhyun twice as worried. "..Just take care of yourself, okay?"

Juhyun peers up at Tiffany through dishevelled bangs, the athlete sending her a small sheepish smile. She kneads her fingers lightly over her ankle, tracing the outline of a distorted circle.

She cringes at the dark purple and the misdirected concern.

"You should worry more about yourself, unnie."

"I will,"

Juhyun smiles bitterly at the blatant lie. Tiffany has always been more concerned about everyone else but herself. A swollen ankle won't change that.

Her eyes narrow when Tiffany rejects her offer of helping her dress. She does not miss the way the athlete winces whenever she lifts her arms. Worry is what drives Juhyun's limbs to hurriedly Tiffany's sweater, despite the older girl's adamant protests.

Tiffany averts her gaze when Juhyun combs her fingers over her shoulders. Anyone can tell the younger girl wanted to just cry.

"... Why would they do this to you?"

Her voice is trembling as she eyes the five marks lined in a row on each shoulder. She can tell from the pointed tips that they were fingernails.

"I - uh,"

"Did you think you could hide this from me..?"

Tiffany's thumb brushes under Juhyun's eye lids, Juhyun recognizing the sudden moist as she blinks away the tears. The trails of liquid stain the back of her hand as she attempts to wipe them off.

"I'm sorry.." Tiffany curls a stray obsidian strand from Juhyun's brow behind her ear. "..I just didn't want to worry you anymore,"

Juhyun releases a wry chuckle, shaking her head. She thinks it's unbelievably silly to think that she'll ever stop worrying.

She purses her lips and holds Tiffany's hand. She feels the athlete shift, as if surprised.

"Juhyun?"

Her hands fiddle with Tiffany's fingers, flitting across them and checking if there are any additional injuries. Juhyun's thumb carefully hovers to her wrist.

"How fast does your heart beat when you're with someone you like?"

Tiffany scrunches her brows, crinkles her nose, crosses her lips.

"... Fast," a pause as she contemplates, "Why?"

Juhyun's lips curve slightly. Tiffany's pulse is steady, rhythm normal, as it thumps beneath her skin.

"And it's been proven true?"

"Yeah. Why, do you like someone, Juhyun?"

She merely sends a wistful smile. Tiffany's brows further crinkle.

They share a bed together that night, Juhyun not wanting to leave Tiffany's side. Her knees are bent so her feet won't somehow bump against Tiffany's ankle.

She is aware of the older girl's injuries, clutching onto the front of Tiffany's sweater as she nuzzles her face in the crook of her neck.

When she is confident that Tiffany is fast asleep, breathing deep, heart rate steady, Juhyun pulls away and grasps her wrist. Her thumb hovers over her own pulse point. Juhyun smiles bitterly.

Her heart has yet to slow down.

---


"Where's Tiffany?"

Seohyun keeps mum as she rearranges the pieces on her desk. Jessica isn't bothered by the lack of attention she is currently receiving, and patiently waits until Seohyun has no choice but to look up.

"At the dorm. Resting."

Jessica hums to herself. She had been surprised that Tiffany suddenly came over to her with a sprained ankle at the garden.

She shouldn't have left her alone.

"What do you want?"

The writer can hear from that particular curt tone, that Seohyun isn't interested in conversing with her. That does not stop her from probing further though, grasping the rim of the chair beside her.

"You're playing chess by yourself?"

Seohyun does not bat an eyelash as she twiddles with the positions. Jessica knows when she is not wanted, but she is intrigued by the order of each playing piece.

The writer understands as soon as she sees how Seohyun's eyes flicker upwards to scrutinize the room.

Jessica tugs at the chair, briefly gaining Seohyun's attention.

"Is this seat taken?"

She settles herself in the chair once she receives Seohyun's approval. Jessica merely watches the way each piece are scattered on the board, before comparing them with a quick glance around the room.

"Are you making an outline of the people here?"

Seohyun narrows her eyes before glancing back down at the board.

"Yes," she lifts the knight to settle it at the top right corner, "I've already analyzed each of the occupants' personalities over time," Jessica watches the rook be moved three squares to the left. "And labelled them with each piece according to my observations."

Jessica scrutinizes the knight at the top right (which is really lower left from where she sits).

"Why is Taeyeon the knight?"

Seohyun's gaze flickers to meet Jessica's, a silent understanding crossing the two of them. The younger girl fiddles with the contours of the knight, outlining its shape.

"Playing a mirror of everyone she associates herself with, it's equivalent to the ability of a knight." Seohyun purses her lips, biting in contemplation. "In the most obvious sense, because of the piece's unique ability, the knight is simply a logical comparison."

Jessica hums her approval, but briefly wonders why things had to happen the way they did. Taeyeon has fallen even deeper, absorbed with being everyone else but herself.

Jessica hadn't been able to recognize the shorter blonde at the library as Taeyeon organized the shelves. Things had frighteningly reverted back to the way things used to be, but Taeyeon hasn't.

There wasn't even a speck of Taeyeon when she spoke to her.

"You and I are rather alike," Jessica raises a brow at Seohyun's frown. "..Unfortunately."

The older woman chooses not to say anything.

Seohyun fiddles with another piece, placing it at the centre of the board. The king.

"Both silently observing everyone and everything," she crinkles her brows, "every time."

The writer keeps mum as she eyes the king settled comfortably in the middle, Seohyun's fingers laying gently over its crown.

"There are three ways to look at chess," Seohyun's gaze flickers to meet Jessica's. "One is labelling everyone for a piece that best fits them. Like Taeyeon-unnie," the writer watches Seohyun rearrange the other pieces into a line, "or have yourself as the king and the rest of the pieces as your various defence mechanisms."

Jessica crosses her lips, bites the inside of her cheek, and fiddles with the hem of her shirt beneath the table.

"Why various?"

"Because we are observers," Seohyun replies simply, "we adapt ourselves according to the situation. We learn from others and how they react," her fingers brush over the king, cradling it in her palm. "Not exactly like mimicry, but we are able to choose the best method of psychological defence depending on the situation."

"Because we observe," Jessica finishes.

"Exactly," Seohyun stares at the king, scrutinizing every detail. "At least, we are fully aware of how to handle ourselves."

Jessica thinks it's almost underhanded. To learn from the mistakes of others through thorough observations.

But the writer realizes that's all she's ever been doing.

"And the third way," the writer lifts her gaze to return Seohyun's cold scrutiny, "is looking at ourselves as the queen and Tiffany-unnie as the king."

Jessica probes 'Why?' even when she already knows the answer, Seohyun's gaze hardening. It is all based on the abilities of each chess piece.

"The student body unanimously declared Tiffany-unnie as the fragile king." The younger girl settles the piece back on the centre of the board. "Bring the king down, you win the game."

"And us as queens?"

"We are capable of protecting her. Much like queens, we can move as freely as possible, because people care too much about your image to do anything," Jessica does not miss Seohyun's flickering eyes and tone that is laced with contempt, "and I'm someone they naturally fear for."

"Because of how you handle yourself," the writer curls a strand of blonde behind her ear, Seohyun nodding in response.

The pieces are aligned as a row across from her.

"Can you protect her?"

Jessica stares at each piece, brown pools lingering on the king situated at the centre. The writer does not hesitate to tell her answer.

Seohyun merely hums.

"Then prove it."

When the pieces are aligned at each side, Jessica crosses her lips and realizes the weight of the situation.

This was Seohyun's way of saying: Prove to me how much you deserve Tiffany.

---

"Why did you do it?"

Yuri's arms are crossed as she leans against the wall, watching the other girl pause in front of her. She waits for the girl's eyes to meet hers, the initials 'IM.Y' ebbed in her memory.

She had seen everything yesterday, but dared not to intervene when Tiffany had managed to pull back. Had managed to handle herself okay.

The girl brushes a lock of obsidian hair from her face.

"You should know it isn't just about Jessica-shi, anymore."

Yuri crinkles her nose, furrows her brows. She doesn't understand until the girl combs a hand through her onyx hair, scoffing.

"Honestly? That was just the tip of the iceberg,"

"Then why did you do it?"

"Conformity."

Yuri dips her fingers further into the sleeves of her jacket. She stands from the wall, to match her height with the girl's.

"You want her to be just like everyone else? You want her to be a copy?"

"She's like a virus," the girl steps closer, into Yuri's personal space. "And she has already wormed her way into you."

Yuri dismisses her with a scoff. She rolls her eyes and settles her back against the wall again. The corners of her lips curl as she speaks, voice even.

"She hasn't, YoonA."

"She a friend?"

"No."

The girl — YoonA — chuckles lightly. Amusement plasters her expression as she settles her hands into her pockets.

It's the truth, though. Yuri sees Tiffany as more of a comrade than a friend. Her sudden aid for the athlete is merely offering a helping hand. Nothing more.

But her point is still not getting across. Is it that hard to believe she helps just because she wants to?

"Oh really?" YoonA inquires, tone laced with contempt. "Then it shouldn't be a problem for you to stay out of my way." YoonA narrows her eyes, scrutinizing. Yuri returns the undivided attention.

"And if I don't?"

YoonA grins over her shoulder, turning to walk away.

"Then you're next once I'm finished with Seo Juhyun."

---

*AN: The reason for switching between writing 'Juhyun' and 'Seohyun' is due to 1) how Seohyun/Juhyun sees herself, 2) how the characters perceive her as and, 3) how she acts towards those specific characters (like being caring 'Juhyun' with Tiffany and indifferent 'Seohyun' with Jessica).