Chapter III

Unstoppable Force Meets Immovable Object

Chapter III.

---

"So, how should we do this?" Jessica asks as they step out of her English classroom. 

Despite reading numerous of novels ranging from romance to gore and slash to science fiction, it doesn't necessarily mean that she's able to apply what she was able to gather out of each of them.

She isn't a romantic.

The athlete laughs lightly, "You're honestly asking me? I'm just as clueless as you." Tiffany replies simply, rubbing the back of her neck as she readjusts her duffel bag over her shoulder. 

Jessica merely rolls her eyes as they walk down the long corridor.

"Then why did you suggest this in the first place?" 

Tiffany only chuckles as her steps fall in sync with Jessica's. The ice princess takes notice, but dares not to comment. She creases her brows when she catches several other eyes glancing their way; probing.

She scrutinizes the way several students are staring at them as Tiffany responds lightly beside her, "Honestly? I thought it'd be fun."

"Seriously?" When Tiffany cranes her neck to look at her with those mischievous sparks in her eyes, Jessica narrows her brows in suspicion. She pauses to jab her index finger lightly against the athlete's shoulder accusingly; daring the girl to lie. "Or do you have some underlying motive of asking me out?" She asks adamantly, not forgetting the feeling of people still staring at her back.

"You don't trust me?"

Tiffany's eyes are gleaming brightly. There's a certain spark there that the book worm can't quite decipher and she questions the athlete's intentions.

"Give me one good reason why I should,"

Jessica keeps her hard gaze as Tiffany returns it with ease.

"Give me one good reason why you shouldn't,

And Jessica wants to smile but stops herself. It's honestly amusing every time and Jessica can't see herself getting tired of it - them. Not like she'll admit that, of course. 


When she resumes her steady pace, she hears Tiffany's feet slap the marble floor beside her with corresponding steps.

They're in tune again.

"You're a jock," Jessica answers simply; as if it explains enough.

Jessica takes note of the amount of strangers that merely watch them pass by. She spares them a single glance before shrugging them off to the back of her mind; adjusting her hold on her bag before Tiffany speaks to reply.

"That's it?" 

And Jessica merely gives an icy glance at the athlete beside her before turning away to round a corner. Her tone remains firm as she voices her opinion of Tiffany; curious of how the athlete will react.

"Everything I dislike has to do with jocks,"

"What's wrong with jocks?" And Jessica watches Tiffany crinkle her nose in distaste; realization hitting her as soon as her words leave her lips. "Wait—don't answer that; I know. The stereotype right?" 

Jessica shrugs indifferently as they exit through the school's gates; aware of the various eyes never leaving them.

Tiffany sighs begrudgingly, understanding lacing her tone, "Okay fine. And I say you should trust me because I'm not like a typical jock." Jessica hears a slight pause before a chuckle escapes her lips. "..I think."

Jessica replies quick and smooth; and her lack of thinking before speaking befuddles even herself.

"I can see that. A jock doesn't hang around with geeks," 

And Jessica hopes to avoid the athlete's probing gaze with a faster pace. She fixes her expression so that she'll appear indifferent; wishing that Tiffany won't be able to see through her carved mask.

She remembers seeing Tiffany read one of her books at the library that morning, but simply pretended to pay no mind just so she could see the athlete's reaction. Jessica vividly remembers the furrows on Tiffany's brows, the slight pout on her lips, and the waves of critical emotions in those dark eyes when the athlete scanned through each sentence. 


Jessica remembers catching the athlete pause for a moment, as if contemplating on a particular sentence, before reading the rest of the page.

She found it strange when Tiffany seemed to only be skimming through; as if looking for something. It was as if the athlete had already read her book; as if she knew how the story already goes. But that'd mean she already read it.

Jessica had wondered then.

If she already read it, then why would she go back and re-read it all over again?

Jessica likes to think her book is just that good—that it's worth reading a second time—but somewhere in the back of her mind, she feels slightly hopeful that it's something more than that.

Is Tiffany putting the pieces of her puzzle together?

"Correction; a beautiful geek," and Jessica snaps back to reality from the gentle grip on her wrist; feeling callused skin shift against her softer counterpart. "and I see your point, jocks are...well, they're jerks." Jessica feels Tiffany tug her softly just so she can catch up with her quicker pace. "And why are you in such a rush? Do you have a place in mind?"

Nothing Tiffany says really registers in the ice princess' head other than that.

She said it again, Jessica thinks, pursing her lips.

"Why do you call me that?" Jessica mutters quietly, trying to pull her wrist free to keep a gap between them. 


Jessica doesn't know how they're suddenly so close and comfortable with each other, but she believes it's about time they set some boundaries.

That's if Tiffany ever lets go.

"Call you what?" Jessica feels Tiffany tug her wrist firmly to get a look at her face; concern lacing her once playful tone, "Beautiful?" 

Jessica feels her cheeks begin to burn as Tiffany's fingers curl tightly around her small wrist. Jessica's positive Tiffany takes her silence as a 'yes' from the way the athlete's voice softens considerably to explain.


Jessica ignores the way her wrist feels like it's grazing through hot wires as Tiffany's fingers curl securely around it, "It's true, isn't it?" the athlete probes, as if the answer had been obvious all along.

She merely frowns when she feels the strings of her heart begin to unwind.

"That's the reason why you approached me that day? To tell me I'm beautiful?" 

Jessica doesn't believe the simplicity of it all, and Tiffany's nervous chuckle reinforces her perspective.

"Okay, you got me. That's not the reason I spoke to you that day, but it still doesn't change the fact that it's true.

And somehow, Tiffany's confident voice and crescent-shaped eyes when she stated her assurance of the matter, came off rather alluring. Jessica is slightly taken aback at the genuine appreciation that laces the athlete's tone.

She suddenly feels like she matters, for once.

Jessica 4, Tiffany 3 + 1.

But Jessica doesn't let it go so easily, her brows crinkling as she breathes through her lips. 
"Then why did you?" 

Jessica doesn't realize Tiffany already closed the large gap between them as they walk side-by-side until she feels the athlete's fingers uncurl around her wrist to trail down and lace between her own.

She keeps a curve from reaching her lips as she focuses on the feel of the athlete's firm hold.

She's so smooth and I hate it, Jessica muses inwardly, giving Tiffany kudos for slyly slipping their hands together in place. Jessica acknowledges the fact that pulling off such a task without her noticing until it was too late is a commendable feat. And she says she has no experience? Highly doubtful,

"It was a bet between friends; and I won,"

And just as fast did the strings of her heart unwind, it begins to tighten.

Of course, Jessica thinks bitterly, she's no different than the rest of them. 

She wants to release Tiffany's hold on her, yank herself out of her steady grip, but the athlete's hold remains firm. Jessica can feel Tiffany start to trace circles on the back of her hand with her thumb, as if to soothe a misunderstanding.

And it makes Jessica listen.

"I said you'd reject me just like how you've done with everyone else," Tiffany's invisible circles on her skin makes the bookworm calm; suddenly feeling content, "that I'm not any special than the rest who had the guts to ask you out."


Jessica feels herself hesitate before voicing out loud, "So you were going to ask me out that day?"

"Key words; going to. You didn't let me finish what I had to say, remember?" Tiffany nudges her, the playfulness returning in the athlete's husky voice.

Oh, right.

"But you're going out with me now," and Jessica begins to piece the puzzles together, scoffing at the thought of actually considering Tiffany to be any different. "so I'm just a prize for a shallow game?" Her whisper comes out hushed, almost inaudible, but steady, and disappointed.

"Didn't you hear what I said? I already won," and Tiffany's gentle tone stops Jessica from commenting. Jessica can feel Tiffany tighten her hold on her hand, "I won because I proved that you shouldn't be toyed with."

"By getting humiliated by me?"

"I didn't mind.." Jessica sees the way Tiffany gives her a lopsided smile, "...much.

And it makes Jessica hide her face behind strands of blonde; hoping the frames of her oval-rimmed glasses are enough to keep those dark, smiling eyes from seeing her expression.

Jessica 4, Tiffany 4 + 1.

She's on a roll.

Jessica chuckles then, a soft tone free of suppressed emotion. She likes this—this feeling. The comfort of having someone to talk to; of having someone beside her; just having someone be with her and make her laugh.

That was all she had been asking for.

Jessica doesn't realize she's latching herself on the athlete's arm to breathe from choked laughter, until something peels her glasses off and wipes the sudden wetness that trails down her cheek.

She feels more slip from her eyes and Jessica realizes then that she's crying.


...How pathetic, Jessica inwardly scoffs at herself, no wonder it's getting harder to breathe. 

Jessica can't help but grip her shirt, where her heart is, and focuses on the suddenly loud beats it continues to make. She tries to steady it, the rhythm pounding hard against her skull as she shuts her eyes. Jessica finally manages to silence the tremor to mere ripples as her laughter subsides to weak chuckles and choked gasps. 

She can't believe she had just broken down in front of a jock. How shameful is that?


"H - Hey, what's wrong? Weren't you just laughing?" Tiffany probes worriedly, and Jessica can feel the athlete's callused fingers slide gently across her cheek, making her tears disappear. 

Jessica pushes her caring hand away, so she can take care of herself. She allows a weak laugh to escape her lips again despite her dry throat. 

But Tiffany is different.

"Yeah, I was. That's why I'm crying." —Because someone's actually here, with me. 

Jessica isn't planning on voicing her thoughts as she wipes the remaining tears from her eyes with a single hand; her other still safely secured in Tiffany's gentle grip. Her shoulders don't feel so heavy anymore.


When Jessica opens her eyes to see Tiffany a mere blur, she waits for the girl to return her glasses.

She squints in confusion after a few minutes when the athlete has yet to give it.

"You're.." And Jessica can only see the blurry blob distort even further as Tiffany speaks, "..really beautiful, y'know?" 

Her question comes out as a breathless whisper, and Jessica wonders why the sudden hesitance in the athlete's voice. It isn't like this is the first time she had seen her without her glasses.

Considering she took it off the day we first met, Jessica thinks, crinkling her brows.

"What is it? You've already seen me without them before, remember?" 

And Jessica takes note of the slight shiver that runs through the athlete as the blurry blob wiggles in response. The gears in her head begins to turn and the ice princess shudders when she feels Tiffany breathe near her face; warmth tickling her rosy cheeks.

They are too close.

I didn't think my eye sight was this bad, Jessica thinks inwardly, realizing the fact that she hadn't noticed the meager gap between her and Tiffany until she felt her breathe.

She hears Tiffany release a jagged breath, breathing; "...It's nothing," before feeling the athlete situate her glasses back on her face. Her sight becomes clearer again and the details of Tiffany's face return. 

Jessica watches the athlete take a few small steps back as if to regain lost oxygen before pulling her towards a nearby food stand wordlessly.However, she still can't wrap the fact that she just exposed herself to someone else; it hasn't even been that long since she met the athlete, either.


She wonders if she should be worried. 

Jessica narrows her brows in wonder as she speaks, "You're not as shallow as I thought you'd be," she says as she watches the athlete's back as Tiffany guides her to a table.

"Really?" 

And Jessica almost reconsiders what she's about to say as Tiffany tilts her head slightly to glance at her; those dark eyes sparkling beneath the restaurant's topaz glow.

Almost.

"..No." 

It was short, simple, and straight to the point. Jessica keeps her impassive exterior from crumbling as she watches Tiffany stare at her with complete bewilderment. Jessica's finding it hard not to laugh.

Jessica 4 + 1, Tiffany 5.

---

"Your books are based on your life," 

Perhaps Tiffany should have seen it coming.

She tends to say what she thinks without considering the consequences.

Jessica sputters the liquid that was once in to smear explosively all over Tiffany's face. It all happened so fast that the jock couldn't make any sort of reaction whatsoever. Tiffany watches with slight amusement as Jessica mutters strings of apologies; hurriedly wiping off the wet mess she made on the athlete's pale expression. 

Tiffany knew it was her fault for such a surprise in the first place, but it felt nice seeing a caring Jessica.

Like her second book; "Under this Snowflake."

"She was shy under his probing gaze as she painted him. He remained there with his handsome pose as she quickly outlined his figure on her white canvas; not wanting him to stay like that for too long. She wouldn't want him to get tired. She wouldn't want to be a burden, so she sketched him fast, with ease against her board as he continued to smile that goofy grin. It was distracting.

His smile was distracting.

"Careful," he said, dropping his stance when she tipped over her utensils from shaky fingers. "you're going to get hurt." But he spoke too soon. Her fingers had slid too closely against a fine knife and the red liquid continued to ooze profusely from pale skin. He reached for her hand and wrapped a cloth gently around her wound; carefully inspecting anywhere else as she sat there, frozen under his affection. She could see he wasn't smiling anymore; and it made her disgruntled.

"You don't look handsome without that annoying smile." She said softly, cupping his cheek with her free hand as she traced her thumb over the corner of his lips. "So smile and you'll look good again."

Tiffany honestly wants to see this side of Jessica; the affectionate side. If what she gathers is true, and that each book represented a specific side of the ice princess, then 'Under this Snowflake' represented a gentle and caring bookworm.

Tiffany just didn't expect to see this side from blurting things out without thinking.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to, I just—" 

And Tiffany hushes her hurried apologies with a beaming smile, her eyes turning to crescents as she lowers Jessica's hand from her now-dry cheeks.

"It's my fault, don't worry about it." Despite the athlete's reassuring smile and light voice, Jessica still didn't look satisfied. "But it's true, isn't it? Those books you published, they're different sides of you."

And when Jessica flinches under her words, it solidifies her theory.

Tiffany can see Jessica begin to build invisible barriers with the sudden mask of an empty gaze and indifferent expression.

She's hiding.

I'm treading on new territory. Tiffany notes, realizing that Jessica wasn't used to someone blatantly exposing her secrets and hidden messages. Or was she just surprised that someone had somehow began to connect the dots? 

Whatever it was, Tiffany being able to comprehend what was beneath the surface caused Jessica to put up a wall between the two of them.


It was her defense mechanism.

But this sort of response only further reinforces Tiffany's assumption; and provides quite a large amount of evidence. Tiffany knows now that Jessica's identity lies hidden between the lines of her six books.

"The main characters in them, the girl.." Tiffany continues softly, careful not to ignite the ticking bomb across from her. "..she's you, isn't she?"

The icy gaze Jessica responds her with only strengthens her statement.

"No," and Tiffany returns the cold gaze with one of her own. "didn't you see it's labelled fiction?

The emphasis doesn't go unnoticed, but Tiffany wants to shake her head from the bookworm's attempt to dissuade her point.

"Maybe, but the characters are merely projected images of an author's thought process." Tiffany catches Jessica flinch again, but that doesn't stop her from trying to break down that shield she has around her. Jessica's brow only twitches in annoyance. "They're tools for an author to use to say what they've always wanted to say; subtly and indirectly.

She sees Jessica wince then, as if startled. Her cold expression falters with the way her eyes soften slightly; her lips loosening from her rigid pout. The athlete waits patiently for any sort of retort or opposing statement from the book worm; but there was none. Tiffany can feel the tense air shift from icy to content, and the athlete knew then.

She broke through.

Jessica 5, Tiffany 5 + 1.

She watches Jessica's wall crumble to shattered fragments from the upward curl on the corners of her lips. Tiffany sees the wry, crooked smile reach the ice princess' cheeks and it leaves her stunned. Motionless. Breathless.

Suddenly, she plays with the strap of her wristwatch to keep from staring. She finds it difficult to pretend that the leather texture was worth more careful attention than the rare, radiant tilt of Jessica's lips.

Tiffany wants to tell her that she should smile more often.

And so she does.

"You don't look beautiful without that smile," Tiffany wants to smack herself knowing that she called the ice princess that even without seeing the curve of her lips. "at least, with one, you'll look even more so than you already do."

She is so lame.

That's what I get for trying to re-enact a scene.

"Six times."

"What?" 

And Tiffany can only stare confusingly as Jessica's smile widens slowly; a certain spark igniting in those depths of brown. Tiffany's honestly more surprised that Jessica hadn't pointed out her silly mistake.

"Six times," Jessica starts again, resting her chin atop her palm as her elbow sits lazily against the wooden table. "you called me beautiful six times."

She's been counting?

"You're not as much of a jerk like jocks are usually portrayed to be." And Tiffany allows her smile to spread to a full grown grin as she chuckles; flattered. "You sure you're the track's ace runner?"

"Are you complimenting me?"

Jessica scoffs then, but a playful expression still plasters her face. Jessica only wiggles a daring brow at the athlete; her barriers completely broken.

"Don't push it."

The score; Jessica 5, Tiffany 6.