in medias res

Scarlet Keepsakes

My entry for "The Gathering: Jeti & Taengsic Contest" back in 2012.

/

Jessica is late when she gets back to the dorm. Her hair is drenched and clothes are soaked as she hurriedly slips off her stilettos.

She doesn't know whether it's unfortunate that her toes had been drowning for the past fifteen minutes having had to walk in the rain, or be thankful because the cold, gushing water, served as a relaxing medium for her tired feet.

With little thought, she slithers out of her sticky clothes and briefly forgets to check whether anyone else is out in the living room to catch her.

Jessica stubs her toe against a countertop when Taeyeon suddenly emerges from the kitchen. Taeyeon's brows quirk upwards as she nibbles on a spoon. Laughter lines beginning to circle around her eyes.

"You look like a total, complete, and utter mess."

Jessica huffs, blows a brown strand out of her eyes as she slips off her jacket.

Taeyeon chuckles at the sight of Jessica kneeling over to quell the pain. Her left shoulder is bare as her shirt teeters to the right, spots of water spilling to the floor.

Jessica rolls her eyes as Taeyeon settles herself on the sofa, yoghurt in hand. Doesn't even bother to offer a little help for an injured member...

"You're pretty funny if you think I love you," Jessica hisses, an attempt to counter Taeyeon's teasing smile.

She stands to walk towards her room, hair matted against her face. Jessica can't tolerate the clothes sticking all over her skin for much longer.

"You're pretty funny if you think you don't," the leader replies with ease.

Taeyeon rests her snack on the table before striding over to the walking corpse. Fatigue is evident across Jessica's face as she continues to wriggle the knob to her room.

Her fingers continue to slip off the smooth material; stupid thing is keeping her from entering her own sanctuary. She brushes a lock of auburn behind her ear when Taeyeon twists it for her.

"So you think I do?" Jessica mutters under her breath, eyes beginning to droop.

Taeyeon laughs quietly as she ushers Jessica in, knowing the rest of the members are all fast asleep. The shorter woman finds it amusing to hear the slapping sounds of Jessica's clothes hitting the floor as the taller woman sheds the rest of her attire. Laughter curls around her upturned lips as she aids Jessica into warmer (drier) clothes.

"I'd be pretty funny then, huh?" Taeyeon quips.

She grabs a towel laying nearby on a table top. Her fingers dig gently over Jessica's scalp, kneading through soaked brown locks. Taeyeon brushes the cloth over Jessica's brows, across the bridge of her nose, before lowering to wipe her jaw. She ushers her to lay down, Jessica wordlessly doing so.

Taeyeon's blonde strands curve across her neck as she draws Jessica's blanket over the younger woman's exhausted form. Jessica merely hums her 'thank you'.

Taeyeon's gentle giggles lull Jessica to sleep.

---

"I profiled you,"

Taeyeon quirks a brow; fiddles with the ends of her deck of cards. Jessica merely takes a sip of her drink before settling it back down to watch Taeyeon shuffle.

Usually, they ignored each others presence, mutually preferring the comfort of others. Although conversations were scarce, if a topic was interesting enough, they tolerated each other.

"You find comfort in silence. It's how you think better," Jessica says.

Taeyeon hums as she flicks the cards one by one, Jessica's eyes fluttering to the concise rhythm of the leader's wrist. The short blonde wonders why the sudden interest.

"If the environment isn't in your favor, you make it so it does." Taeyeon hisses when a few cards fall to the floor, bending down to grab it. "You don't like being out of control. Because you worry whether you'll be able to solve a problem," her gaze flickers briefly to meet Jessica's undivided scrutiny, "if any arises."

Taeyeon's lips curl slightly at the corners. Jessica reaches for her pile of cards atop the table; scans over each of their value.

"That's why you stick back from the group; let everyone else jump in head first into the water so you can analyze." Jessica fingers the ends of an ace of spades, twiddling with the bent edges. "You sit back and experiment; you're the scientist. The rest are lab rats. Essentially,"

Laughter lines circulate Taeyeon's upturned lips. She wonders what Jessica's motive is.

"You think I see you, as well as the rest of the members, as nothing more than variables of a science project?"

Jessica chuckles, placing down her jack of hearts. She responds naturally as she places a card down.

"In a nutshell. We've lived with each other for years, so does knowing that I'm aware of this, really surprise you?"

Taeyeon fiddles with the corners of the queen of diamonds. She deflects with gathered data of her own.

"Despite your keen observational skills, you lack the initiative required to actually make things happen."

A cheshire smile is threatening to break loose against Taeyeon's lips, Jessica returning her obvious amusement with a knowing smirk. Jessica urges her to continue with a wave of her card.

Taeyeon settles an eight of diamonds.

"You just watch. You watch how people interact, but that's all you really do."

Jessica mocks offense, flicking her wrist.

"Hey. I just confronted you a few seconds ago, didn't I?"

"Yes. You did," Jessica crosses her arms, purses her lips, "but you consider releasing data regarding my behaviour, as an initiative? I call that an attempt at a semantic argument."

"You consider our conversation, an argument?"

Taeyeon rolls her eyes. But the curve on her lips refuse to disappear.

"Fine. It's an observational debate. Or would you prefer educational?"

The sound of Jessica's laughter makes Taeyeon smile, knowing the brunette doesn't do so very often. Their conversations tend to go this way. A pointless circle that eventually led to something. Jessica doesn't come up with such topics unless she has a good reason to.

"But seriously," Taeyeon plays with her remaining cards, bending it half-heartedly. "Is there something you want me to do?"

Because suddenly bursting out 'I profiled you', as a topic starter, isn't usually introduced without some ulterior motive.

"You're able to tell when someone is lying, right?"

Her brows crease. The sudden quiver in Jessica's tone surprises her.

"You're a human lie detector, Jessica." Taeyeon deadpans. "You'd know as soon as you hear it."

Taeyeon ignores Jessica's raised brow.

"I'm flattered you think so highly of me," Jessica states, amusement tainting her lips. It still doesn't quell the shades of concern clouding her eyes. "But you'd be able to tell, right?" She repeats again.

Taeyeon frowns, but nods. She unconsciously begins to shuffle her cards.

"Who is it? The one who told a lie,"

She flinches as soon as she hears the name, pausing in her motion.

"Tiffany,"

Taeyeon reaches out for the rest of the cards that are scattered on the table. It's pointless to leave them out; they aren't playing games anymore. Taeyeon in a breath, Jessica returning the rest of her cards.

"What did she say?"

Jessica brushes away locks of brown from her face. Pulls them back behind her ear, brows creased.

"...'You mean a lot more to me than you should'."

The cards drop back on the table in a heap, Taeyeon's fingers feeling wobbly. Her limbs are refusing to listen. Taeyeon's whisper is almost inaudible; a desperate attempt at hiding her stuttering nerves.

"And you're saying it's a lie?"

Jessica grunts, shifts in her seat, as if uncomfortable.

"I was hoping it'd be," Taeyeon's eyes flicker to meet Jessica's. "So tell me, is what she said a lie?"

She can't lie to Jessica, even if she wants to. Jessica would be able to tell anyway, so she sticks to the truth. Taeyeon's silence tells Jessica everything she needs to know.

When the rest of the members arrive back from their respective schedules, the last bits of hope Jessica has disappears when Tiffany greets her with a hug that lasts longer than it should.

---

She pauses from her ice cream, silently chewing at the end of her spoon. Taeyeon eyes the way Tiffany's hands are holding Jessica, as the rest of the members sit around the television.

Jessica is resting comfortably against the scarlet-haired's shoulder, lazily plopping pieces of popcorn into . Occasionally, Jessica passes one over to Tiffany, even going so far as to feeding the younger woman.

It's starting to itch at Taeyeon like a mosquito bite.

She pops the spoon out of and scoops another portion of vanilla ice cream.

Sometimes, Taeyeon wonders to herself whether they're together now. Romantically. If they are, they haven't mentioned it.

The way Tiffany's obsidian eyes dance in glee whenever Jessica is close by, it's hard to ignore. Their relationship only further gnaws at Taeyeon when Jessica appears to reciprocate the affection.

That's why Taeyeon applies heat. It's the only way for two substances to properly react. How else would Taeyeon know how two chemicals actually interact?

"Do you like me?"

Tiffany's mouth is left to hang open as Jessica's hand lingers in the air. She isn't dropping the popcorn yet.

Taeyeon quietly enters the living room, subtly slouching into the seat beside the two. She continues to scoop bits of vanilla as she watches them from the side.

She had managed to plant into Jessica's brain the idea of Tiffany seeing her as more than a friend. From their previous conversation (though Jessica had already figured it out on her own), she hammered in the remaining nails. Had erased any lingering doubt.

Taeyeon hadn't been too worried about whether Jessica would believe her or not. After all, just the thought of someone seeing her differently would eventually sink in and circulate through her brain. It was only natural.

Taeyeon eyes how the rest of the members appear seemingly oblivious. All are preoccupied with the olympics.

"Isn't that sort of a silly question?" Tiffany quirks a brow as Jessica frowns. "Of course I do," she curls locks of brown behind Jessica's ear.

Strands of carmine fall over Tiffany's shoulders as Jessica pops another piece of popcorn into . Tiffany's face is beaming.

Taeyeon feigns indifference; she looks away.

"Good. I like you too,"

Taeyeon looks down to see her ice cream already a pool of white soup. Taeyeon doesn't feel like eating it anymore.

When the members head to bed, lights out, Taeyeon remains restless. The crinkles on her brow has yet to ease as she shifts, looking for warmth. Taeyeon doesn't realize her blanket is already half way off the bed.

She had hoped for a different chemical reaction.

----

It affects Taeyeon when Tiffany continues to put a smile on her face. As if she's happy. A horrible mask (which was more like a window than anything else) doesn't suit her pretty face.

"Why are you doing this to me..?" She almost flinches at Tiffany's broken whisper.

Taeyeon turns away, tries to avoid steering her eyes back at Tiffany. She grips her sleeves in a poor attempt at shielding herself. Tiffany's cracking tone is beginning to take a toll on her.

"You were aspiring to be happy,"

"But I was happy!"

"Deluding yourself? Lying to yourself? Pretending?" Taeyeon shoots back. She refuses to hold back any longer. "You think spouting lies over and over will keep you happy? That it'll eventually make you happy?!"

"I was happy!" Tiffany runs a hand through her carmine hair, sighing through gritted teeth. "I could've lived with that,"

"Not anymore." Taeyeon stalks forward, not missing the sparks of anger flickering in Tiffany's eyes. "You can't pretend you're just satisfied with being friends, anymore."

Tiffany scowls, fingers digging deeper into her arms.

"I was doing fine. I have been doing fine,"

"No. You haven't,"

"Taeyeon,"

"You think no one sees how you look at her? You think the pain will just disappear? You think you can hide this forever? You think Jessica won't ever find out?!"

Tiffany rubs her temples, shuts her eyes, as Taeyeon sits beside her.

Silence envelopes them as the rest of the members continue to chatter in the kitchen. Their muffled voices echo against their eardrums as they sit quietly in the living room. The others didn't seem to realize their voices were rising.

Tiffany scoffs, clucking her tongue in disdain. The leader cranes her neck wearily, perplexed. It felt like the tables were about to turn.

Taeyeon looks away when Tiffany stares, recognition dancing across her obsidian pools. Her brows crinkle as Taeyeon crosses her arms over her knees. Tiffany doesn't miss how Taeyeon is reacting to her. Odd.

Tiffany shifts, leaning back against the sofa. Taeyeon is still refusing to look at her. Her brows raise at the sight of the leader flitting her thumb across her toes. Taeyeon's avoidance speak volumes to her.

Bitter lines dance across Tiffany's lips, the scarlet-head running a hand through her dishevelled hair.

"...You're exactly the same, aren't you?"

It makes sense to Tiffany. How Taeyeon can relate.

Taeyeon is quick to deflect. She has to stay in control; cut straight to the truth. Her tongue is swift, automatically returning the fire with added force. She doesn't even have to think.

"You love her."

The tips of her fingers make dents on her skin. Tiffany sees it.

Tiffany spares her a second glance when Jessica walks in, munching on a bar of chocolate. Their conversation immediately turns elsewhere, avoiding Jessica's curious scrutiny.

---

"You like me,"

Taeyeon pretends the question doesn't surprise her. She's heading to the kitchen for a light snack, Jessica falling in step behind her. She doesn't know how Jessica came to that conclusion. Or was it just mere speculation?

"Yeah," Taeyeon raises a curious brow, "I thought we've already established that."

All the members should, from her perspective, like each other. Taeyeon inwardly hopes it's nothing more than that. What Jessica is asking.

"No. We haven't." Taeyeon refuses to turn around as she circles the kitchen table, Jessica pausing near the entrance. "You look at me the same way Tiffany does."

"And what's that?"

She switches the lights on, pretends to ignore her limbs are beginning to malfunction. Her nerves are acting up again. Taeyeon can feel the tremor inside her.

"You look at me as if you're in love with me."

Taeyeon stumbles with the spoon, hearing it clank against the marble floor. She scowls, picks it up. Her hands refuse to stay steady.

Screw the ice cream.

"But why?" Jessica rounds the table, pausing beside the blonde leader.

Taeyeon should have seen it coming. Jessica's a human polygraph. Tiffany wouldn't have told her, would she?

Taeyeon bites her lip; there's no point in trying to lie her way out of this. Her nervous symptoms have already given her away.

She grunts as she reaches for the box at the top right corner. Jessica rolls her eyes before gripping the darn cardboard box that currently has Taeyeon's undivided attention.

"Why?" Jessica probes again as Taeyeon pops an orange-flavoured popsicle into . "And stop making those obnoxious slurping sounds. It's annoying,"

Taeyeon hides a smile when Jessica takes a popsicle of her own. She is making just as much noise as she is. A tinge of pink paints across Jessica's cheeks.

The short blonde hums, feeling the cold seep through her lips. Taeyeon attempts to take back command.

"Don't you think questioning the reason why I do is kind of depressing?"

Jessica huffs as she swallows the flavour of strawberry.

She continues to nibble on the cracked edges of the popsicle as she eyes the rest of the members in the living room. Another day dedicated to watching the olympics.

"Considering I'm completely opposite of the ideal 'next door neigbour' kind of girl," she winces from the howling laughter that suddenly erupts from the rest of their bandmates, "I assume it's depressing enough to just like me when I'm anything but a gentle, fluffy, and nice, kind of girl."

Taeyeon laughs, amused at Jessica's thoughts.

"Since when did you care about characteristics deemed as 'ideal'? And besides," she smiles gently at the sight of the girls sprawled all over the living room floor, one over the other. "No one who appears perfect, stay that way. They crack under the delusion that there's always something they need to fix."

Taeyeon attempts to lift her fingers. Her limbs are functioning properly again.

"Isn't there always something people need to fix?"

She wipes away the portion of dripping orange across her knuckles.

"And that's what makes people perfect," Taeyeon clucks her tongue as she settles herself in a chair, "in their own way of course. Just having the mindset of constantly wanting to improve yourself, in wanting to get better at something, it's what makes people perfect. Don't you think so?"

Jessica simply keeps mum, slumping into the seat across from her. A crease forms on Taeyeon's brows and the older woman trails a thought out loud.

"...At least, that's what I think when I look at it that way."

Jessica chews the final bits of her popsicle before twiddling with the stick.

"But what if that's all they ever think about?" Taeyeon's eyes flutter to Sooyoung who is sharply yelling at the top of her lungs. Something about 'what's with the one second?' as Jessica fiddles with the stick between her teeth. "What if they're never satisfied with themselves no matter how much they improve or fix something?"

Taeyeon hums as the rest of the girls erupt in chaos, yelling at the top of their lungs about 'fencing rules', and the like. She wonders whether this was Jessica's complicated way of saying: What if I'm never good enough?

Taeyeon just doesn't know whether Jessica's asking for her, or for Tiffany.

"That's why I like you,"

Jessica's blatant stare makes it harder for Taeyeon to hide a laugh behind calm indifference. She stands to throw away the remains of the popsicle stick, her back facing Jessica.

"You care so much about whether I'll like you for you. You improve yourself and attempt to fix up what's bad about you, when in the end, all you'll ever be is a better and improved you."

Jessica looks almost lost. Taeyeon throws out Jessica's left over stick before heading towards the living room. She waves a dismissive hand over her shoulder.

"Not that I won't like the imperfect you. Because either way, you're still you, aren't you?"

---

Jessica fiddles with the bag of cheetos. Tiffany is coming back from Thailand tomorrow, and the rest of the members are still out doing their own schedules.

She stretches the lid open, popping one into as she contemplates. Out loud.

"She could love me," Taeyeon cranes her neck, looks beside her to see Jessica's weight change the couch's elevation. "...Tiffany."

Taeyeon purses her lips as Jessica crosses her legs, their thighs momentarily brushing. Jessica leans back against the sofa.

"But she won't,"

For the past few weeks, Jessica had been observing these two particular members. Ever since she found out about their peculiar interest in her, Jessica had sought out things that may have changed in them.

Maybe she'd find out why it's her and not Yuri, or Seohyun, or Sooyoung, or Sunny, or Hyoyeon, or YoonA.

Jessica frowns, popping another cheeto into . Why isn't it YoonA? Everyone likes YoonA.

"Tiffany won't love me." She says again.

Taeyeon crinkles her brows because her eyes are reading over a single sentence of the book over and over again. She breathes lightly as she flips to the next page, tired of seeing the same line.

Is Jessica waiting for some sort of reaction? Or the lack of it?

She would ask Jessica why she would even think that Tiffany wouldn't want to love her. But her lips crack open and opposite words she never thought of spill through.

"Do you want her to?"

Taeyeon fiddles with the ends of her book. Jessica hums, tapping her chin. Jessica wonders whether she does. Taeyeon wonders whether she wants her to.

Jessica curls a stray strand of brown behind her ear as she lifts her legs onto the couch. Jessica rests her chin atop her knees as she eyes the television. The olympics is on. Swimming.

"I would want her to," Jessica pauses, kneading her fingers over her pajama-covered legs. "But either way, she won't."

Taeyeon flips another page of her book even when she hasn't read a single sentence. Her gaze flickers momentarily towards Jessica from the corner of her eyes.

"Why wouldn't she? Because she could,"

Jessica catches Taeyeon's scrutiny before the latter turns away. She gains Taeyeon's full attention when she reaches out to tuck a lock of blonde behind the older woman's ear. Jessica can feel the blazing trail Taeyeon's skin leaves across her fingertips, briefly thinking over how smooth her cheek is.

"Because," Jessica smiles when Taeyeon turns back to look at her, eyes wide. "She knows you already do,"

Doubt still continues to linger in Taeyeon.

"But what about you? You said -"

"- I would. I know," Jessica's knuckles brush against the leader's left brow, easing the tension drawn over her face. "But I don't. Tiffany knows that."

Taeyeon finds it amusing. Their conversations always tended to start with Jessica attacking her; one way or another. But they're talking now (not just a glance, or a call of their name). At least they're getting somewhere.

---

"How much do you think your boyfriend would love you?"

Jessica would have said a lot. Plenty. More than enough.

She would have also asked why people even bother questioning her relationship in the first place. And how would she even be with a guy, together, if she knew her boyfriend wouldn't love her as much as he should anyway?

Such a silly question.

It isn't difficult to see how gentle and kind Taeyeon treats her (even if they rarely speak at all). How she'd hold her hand and tug her closer, or grasp her elbow and drag her somewhere. They didn't need to verbally communicate all the time.

Jessica would have said Taeyeon loves her more than she really needs to.

"I figured you'd need something more comfortable to sleep on, so..."

She hadn't been surprised when she felt Taeyeon lift her head from the floor to settle a pillow underneath. Taeyeon understood that Jessica didn't have a single bone in her body to bother moving to the couch (which hadn't been that far from her to begin with). But that never stopped her from spoiling the younger woman.

Jessica had merely plopped back down in a huff, the cushion curling around her head, and sighed in content. Her eyes flitted upwards to watch Taeyeon turn and walk away, affection washing over her.

"Hey, Taeyeon?"

Taeyeon settled herself on the couch, picking up a magazine from the arm rest.

"Hm?" Was her only response.

Jessica's gaze had trailed over Taeyeon's calm expression, wanting to somehow just take the girl's attention away from the magazine she was reading.

"The floor is comfortable,"

Taeyeon's chuckle was soothing, but to Jessica's displeasure, her eyes still remained on the colourful pages of an old magazine.

"You're welcome,"

Jessica remembers how frustrated she was that Taeyeon wasn't getting the memo. She had let out a whine as she turned to lay on her side, her lips curving outwards at the lack of attention.

She remembers having the nerve to finally stand and move herself towards the couch, unceremoniously plopping down beside Taeyeon to rest on her lap instead.

Her grin was wide when she heard Taeyeon's surprised squeak as she nuzzled her nose against the cotton material layered over Taeyeon's stomach.

"But you're much better,"

She especially remembers how Taeyeon's tummy had rumbled from laughter.

Jessica's eyes immediately dart about when Tiffany nudges her side.

Almost obtusely, she sees the carmine-haired woman dangle a microphone in front of her. Tiffany's obsidian pools usher her expectantly as she settles the mic into her hands. She repeats the question for Jessica amidst the blurring colours of the stage lights.

"How much do you think your boyfriend would love you?"

Jessica's fingers curl around the microphone, returning Tiffany's soft smile. She steadies her gaze upon the large audience, all hushed and attentive for what's to come.

She would have answered plenty. Taeyeon gave her so much love; she wondered if she could possibly handle it all. She was slightly concerned if Taeyeon would ever run out of it, even.

Jessica smiles in front of the camera, aware of the many eyes trained on her. Her fans honestly wouldn't know the true extent of her answer, but that's okay.

Her fingers gently tighten around the microphone as she hovers it over , not missing the squeals of fanboys and fangirls when she speaks. Jessica hides her proud grin behind the mic as an incredulous uproar illuminates the stadium.

"Not a lot,"

She laughs with the rest of the fans as they cheer (simply because they probably see it as a typical joke of hers), as she glances discreetly over to see Taeyeon chuckle along with the rest of the members.

Jessica isn't worried about Taeyeon or anyone else misinterpreting her statement for something negative. It isn't that hard to figure out, anyway. It certainly didn't take a lot for Taeyeon to make her own home in the sanctuary of Jessica's heart.

---

"You love her,"

They're backstage, Jessica unhooking the wires and additional audio parts as she glances at Tiffany beside her. The red-head is unpeeling the masking tape against her cheek, unlatching the small microphone.

Jessica raises a curious brow as she draws her knuckles across Tiffany's sweaty temple.

"I do," Jessica whispers.

Carmine strands tickle her fingers as she wipes the moist plaguing Tiffany's face. Tiffany's eyes flutter, almost like butterfly wings, as Jessica tends to her.

Jessica's gaze immediately flickers when their noses brush.

"Make sure Taeyeon loves you just as much," Tiffany croaks, her whisper cracking through Jessica's ears amidst the audio plaque of the flitting staff. "Because I'm willing to let you go."

Jessica brushes away Tiffany's anguish with a smile. Fans should build monuments to Tiffany's altruistic love.

"You know I still like you, right?"

Tiffany winces. 

She pretends to curl her lips, put on just a little more upward tilt at the corners, as Jessica waves her goodbye.

It hurts her so much more when she watches Jessica walk away. Watch her disappear through the gaggles of staff. Tiffany spots streaks of blonde hold Jessica amidst the rest of the laughing members. Taeyeon's tiny figure is almost fully enveloped in Jessica's hug.

Tiffany turns away so it'll hurt a little less, disappearing through the blurring colours like a sombre shadow.

---

Taeyeon finds her outside, sitting on the steps of their dorm.

She doesn't approach Tiffany right away, preferring to watch her from afar as rain continues to pour over her head. Tiffany doesn't seem to mind it all though, as she continues to keep her gaze up, her red hair already drenched.

Taeyeon only purses her lips in wonder as she tries to weave the right words in her head. Form reasons why she'd be outside in the first place. She begins to make strides towards Tiffany when nothing is sewn and Taeyeon is left to go with the flow.

"You're going to get sick," is the first thing that leaves as she settles herself beside the quiet girl.

Taeyeon hadn't bothered bringing an umbrella because somehow, she knew Tiffany wouldn't have wanted a shield anyway.

She looks up behind curtains of blonde. Water continues to relentlessly spill over their form. The only sounds ringing against her ears are the pitter and patter of rain.

"When do you think the world looks its best?" Tiffany breathes.

All Taeyeon can see is the younger girl's side profile. Tiffany refuses to look at her, so she tries to decipher as much from just the side of her face. Tries to note for any clench in her jaw, or crinkle on her nose, or even a furrow on her brow.

"I like to think it's when it rains." Tiffany continues, voice almost inaudible.

Tiffany seems to find solace in the depressing weather, but Taeyeon can see how beautiful it really is beneath the cold trails it leaves in its wake.

Taeyeon looks down as she links their hands together, fingers flitting precisely beneath the spaces of each digit as her gaze follows a trail of water on the cement floor.

She moves closer to Tiffany so she'll be a source of warmth, their shoulders and legs touching to share heat. She doesn't expect Tiffany to say anything more. When she does, the gears in Taeyeon's head begin to spin.

"Take care of her, okay?"

Tiffany is smiling at her, but her eyes aren't inverted crescents, and her lips seem to struggle staying in place.

"I will," Taeyeon says it with strong conviction, and perhaps that's why Tiffany looks relieved and her smile isn't forced anymore.

Tiffany laughs gently, her voice rasp.

"Don't make her cry," a small smile takes her lips. She looks down to see a puddle already formed beneath her feet. "Because I swear, if I find Jessi hurt because of you, I'll - "

"- Kill me," Taeyeon finishes for her with a gentle laugh, "I won't let that happen."

Tiffany chuckles beside her, but Taeyeon can read the strong, quiet strength, that's swirling behind Tiffany's dark pools.

"Worse," Tiffany's tone is shockingly stable. "I'll take Jessica away from you."

Taeyeon is briefly incredulous, craning her neck to peer at Tiffany's steady gaze. Tiffany doesn't crack under Taeyeon's scrutiny. She knows that life wouldn't be worth living without Jessica.

"I'll make her mine," Tiffany continues, not flinching when Taeyeon sends her a silent glare. "So don't screw up."

Water begins to seep through her socks, skin tingling from the cold. Taeyeon tightens her hold on Tiffany's hand, squeezes their fingers together. The warmth between them was dissipating. She doesn't want that.

When Taeyeon beams a huge smile in response, acknowledging Tiffany's overwhelming love for Jessica, Tiffany looks taken aback.

Her smile is thankful when she rests her head against Tiffany's shoulder. Taeyeon's blonde strands lace with Tiffany's carmine.

"I won't,"

Taeyeon hears Tiffany chuckle gently again, and the older woman can't help but do so too. Their laughter mixes with the sounds of cascading water, bittersweet, as they sit together in the freezing rain.

---

"Don't."

Jessica smirks behind her cup, watching Taeyeon comb a hand through her drenched blonde locks. The shorter woman shuts the door behind her before shedding her jacket to hang on the coat rack. Jessica takes another sip as Taeyeon slips her shoes off, cheeks flushed from the cold.

The pitter and patter against the windows don't bother Jessica all too much as she settles herself on the couch. She rests her cup on her lap, fingers curling tightly around the ceramic material. Scarlet strands aren't hard to miss despite the pouring rain, Jessica's gaze lingering on the lone figure sitting on the steps.

"What did she say?" Jessica probes quietly, keeping in mind that the rest of the members are fast asleep.

Taeyeon removes her sweater with frown, inwardly cringing at the amount of water dripping from her clothes. She's going to have to clean up the floor...

"And don't just stand there," Jessica reprimands her with a towel to Taeyeon's face, "wipe that off."

Jessica suppresses a grin as Taeyeon rolls her eyes, kneeling down. Jessica realizes how oddly reminiscent this scene was from a few weeks ago.

"Is Tiffany not coming in yet?" Taeyeon grunts in response. Why is there still water on the floor? It's as if - "Your clothes are still wet, by the way."

She immediately scolds Jessica as soon as the latter howls in laughter.

"Shush, you." Taeyeon reprimands, a finger to her lips. Cheeks a deep ruby. "Are you trying to wake everyone else up?"

Jessica shakes her head, making a motion to zip . Quiet chuckles still escape through her teeth and Taeyeon sighs, heading for her room. She twiddles with the handle; later on muttering curses under her breath.

Darn doorknob. So slippery.

"You look like a total, complete, and utter mess." Jessica snickers.

She scoffs. "At least your hands are dry,"

Taeyeon breathes a relief as soon as she steps into her room, quickly wiggling out of her sticky attire.

Jessica merely smirks as she helps the shorter woman. She keeps herself from commenting about Taeyeon's pajamas, so she snorts instead. Peas.

"Make sure you bring Tiffany in soon, okay?" Taeyeon says through her dishevelled blonde locks. "I don't want her to get sick,"

Jessica hums 'I will,' as she dries her hair, feeling the liquid begin to seep to her fingertips through the towel.

"You haven't answered me yet," she brushes a strand of blonde over Taeyeon's brow, "what did she say?"

Taeyeon fiddles with the hem of her blouse, smiling at the little pea grinning back at her. She shortens what Tiffany had essentially said. Narrows them down to the words that really matter.

"'I love you'."

Jessica's fingers pause over her temples. Her breath tickles the bridge of Taeyeon's nose. The leader shuts her eyes, unable to look at her.

"...And what about you?"

Taeyeon's murmur almost goes unheard of, lowering her head.

"'I love you' too,"

The towel slips over Taeyeon's eyes, down to her nose. Jessica chuckles lightly. She never imagined a confession to go like this.

She stops Taeyeon from removing the cloth off her head, Jessica's fingers lacing between the leader's. The short blonde crosses her lips, crinkles her brows. Her eyes are covered. Does Jessica not want her to see?

"Why?" Jessica merely smiles in response.

The towel serves as a medium for Jessica's complicated feelings. She can't seem to do what she wants to when Taeyeon is looking at her.

Taeyeon begins to fidget, unconsciously rubbing her thumb across Jessica's hand. She can feel Jessica breathe against her lips. Blood is rushing to her cheeks, her skin starting to feel warm. Jessica's silence is making her self-conscious.

Taeyeon's apparent shyness acts as a catalyst as Jessica leans in, her free hand resting atop the crown of Taeyeon's head. She doesn't want the towel to move anywhere else.

She feels Taeyeon in a breath, their proximity making it hard to breathe.

Jessica writes her heart against Taeyeon's lips, eyes fluttering shut. Her soft motion is akin to a brush dancing across blank canvas. Jessica is drawing the start of their history together.

"You're not loving anyone else," she nibbles on Taeyeon's bottom lip, biting gently. Tenderly. "Got it?"

Taeyeon's giggles brush across , a 'got it' slipping through her teeth and into Jessica's heart. The shorter woman's back presses against the bed as Jessica looms over her. Jessica refuses to stop painting.

Jessica laughs against Taeyeon's lips when the shorter woman loops the towel over their heads.

---

in medias res: into the midst of things.