Seventeen

Scarlet Keepsakes

These are various snippets of Jeti's moments. 

 

Seventeen 

 

---

 

1. Eyes

 

Something's watching her.

 

Jessica subtly motions around the counter, juggles a box of DVD's in her loose grip, as she eyes the store warily. She can't seem to quite pinpoint what exactly it is. There's too many strobing faces, blurred images of people flitting by, as they hustle about around the store.

 

She slithers between her coworkers, bangs hovering over her face, to discreetly avoid having to deal with the long line up of customers accompanied with irritated grunts and wrinkled frowns. Jessica shuffles all the way to the back of the counter, settles herself in the hollow corner on the right, and stares.

 

One coworker dismisses her behaviour with a snorted chuckle when Jessica sends her a pair of narrowed slits for eyes and a

pointed hiss.

 

It doesn't bother her when the line dwindles and every single customer leaves with a quirked brow and a set of amused lines dancing across their lips.

 

But someone's still watching her. Or something.

 

Jessica frowns when she draws away from her little corner, gripping the batch of DVD's against her chest, as she eyes the store. When nothing seems to be out of place, no creeper creeping in a corner just staring at her, Jessica returns to her spot at the cashier.

 

She almost drops the DVD's she's carrying when a woman suddenly approaches her counter.

 

Jessica swallows when she spots the woman's eerie eye contact. The blatant attention makes her stomach churn. It doesn't help how the woman continues to smile, either.

 

She struggles to form a smile of her own, the corners of her lips twitching as she continues to make direct eye contact with the woman. Jessica wants to look away.

 

"Hi there, what can I do for you?" She asks, as gently as she should, with the little tilt of her head to the side, and a light rise of her shoulders.

 

The woman speaks, her voice firm. Her eyes remain eerily steady, so Jessica pretends to busy herself by putting down the stack of DVD's and arranging them alphabetically. The woman taps a delicate finger on the counter, Jessica noting the red nail polish matching prettily to cream skin.

 

The single line that escapes the woman's lips in return makes Jessica almost double over.

 

"I'd like a book on seduction."

 

Jessica grimaces, her brows and lips twitching at the statement. Is she allowed to laugh?

 

"Okay," she breathes, calming herself down before her face cracks into laughter. "Let me show you to our romance section."

 

She leads her with a quick pace, very aware of the woman's eyes piercing holes through her back. They head to the opposite end of the store, Jessica taking notes of the woman's undivided attention.

 

"Right here is a variety of intimate books organized alphabetically down this row. Another aisle also has the same -"

 

"I want books on seduction."

 

Jessica wants to run from the woman's blatant scrutiny. She holds herself down with a forced smile.

 

"I'm sure you'll find plenty if you look around." She dismisses quickly, hoping to just get the hell out of there.

 

The woman keeps silent and Jessica almost loses it until the customer sighs.

 

"All right,"

 

Jessica returns with hastened strides back to her desk. Her heart falls when she sees the woman return minutes later.

 

"Is there anything else I can help you with?"

 

The woman is still staring at her with those large, beaming brown eyes. Jessica shrivels back involuntarily.

 

"Are there any books on hypnosis?"

 

2. Communication

 

"Jessi, I can -"

 

"Hold on, but -"

 

"Wait, I'll be -"

 

"All right, so -"

 

"Okay, gotcha, and -"

 

"So you ready Krys?"

 

Krystal jumps, startled by Jessica's bright smile. She shifts in her seat to quell the surprise enveloping her skin, combing a hand through her hair as she questions from the back.

 

"Wha - what just happened?"

 

Her sister chuckles in front of her, blonde strands flitting through the air as she motions to put on her seat belt. Tiffany grins, her face projecting through the reflection of the rear view mirror.

 

"Well, because Jessi here forgot her contacts, I'll drive you to school instead."

 

Krystal watches Jessica turn in her seat, her sister sporting similar laughter lines across her lips.

 

"Yeah, and I asked if she was fine with it since she doesn't drive as often down this route. Tiff said it was okay so, it's all good!"

 

Krystal stares in bewilderment, mouth agape as her mind continues to process what they've just said.

 

"You...do you guys communicate telepathically?!"

 

3. Relate

 

Tiffany spots the tampons a male customer is holding. She smiles as he nods to her shyly, handing his items over with gentle

hands. Tiffany muses lightly as she settles his purchase into a bag.

 

"Well, men should aspire to be like you. Most never go out to buy stuff like this."

 

The man chuckles, Tiffany handing him his receipt as he grasps the bag. The store isn't as busy during this time of night, so Tiffany lets him stick around for a little longer, enjoying his company. No one else is waiting in line anyway.

 

His gruff response brings a grin to her lips.

 

"You should meet my girlfriend first."

 

Tiffany rests her hands into the pockets of her jeans, easing her weight on her left foot. She quirks a suggestive brow and it makes the man even shyer. He was cute.

 

"Must be persuasive, huh?"

 

The corner of her lips curl upwards, a smirk beginning to grace across . He merely laughs it off with a dismissive hand, batting away any implications Tiffany had in mind. He cradles the bag loosely in one hand as he motions to leave, replying smoothly over one shoulder.

 

"Scary, actually."

 

"I can relate," she says, and watches the laughter lines curve wider around his lips.

 

Tiffany sees him off with a grin, waving a goodbye as he disappears through the revolving doors.

 

4. Pull

 

"So Tiff, what about this bra?"

 

"Too tiny."

 

"This?"

 

"Too big."

 

Jessica gives her a look, wiggling her brows as if Tiffany had just implied something. Tiffany merely smiles knowingly in response, laughter gradually breaking through her lips.

 

She moves on, lifting another set to her chest.

 

"What about this one?"

 

Tiffany's eyes visibly linger and Jessica is tempted to speak up about it. The corners of her lips are slowly beginning to curl upwards at the spark in Tiffany's eyes.

 

Jessica isn't surprised to see her girlfriend send her a suggestive wink along with her reply, tone playful.

 

"Just the perfect size."

 

She laughs, tugging the bra closer to her chest.

 

"You would know, wouldn't you?"

 

Tiffany chuckles.

 

"So, should it be in dark pink or light pink?" Jessica looms closer, whispers in her lover's ear. She smirks when Tiffany reacts to her breath against her skin. "But honestly? I don't really care 'cause you'll end up taking them off of me anyway."

 

Tiffany finds it difficult to hide the shudder. She croaks almost hoarsely, her voice dangerously resembling a growl.

 

"Then why ask?"

 

Jessica grips Tiffany's wrist and steps back into the changing room behind her as she purrs in response, enjoying how Tiffany's eyes have settled comfortably on her lips.

 

"I want to know which one turns you on more." She whispers against Tiffany's mouth, pulling her in.

 

5. Name

 

YoonA smiles at the little girl, Seohyun. She's playing with her keroro.

 

"So, what's your daddy's name?"

 

"I don't have a daddy. But I have a mum and mommy!"

 

YoonA grins.

 

"What's your mum's name?"

 

"Tippani!"

 

YoonA laughs.

 

"And your mommy?"

 

"DammitJesshka!"

 

6. Present

 

Tiffany just received a gift bag for her birthday. She pulls out an assortment of chocolates.

 

Jessica stares.

 

"You're going to share some of your chocolate with me right?" She asks almost innocently, the gleam in her eyes misleading.

 

Seemingly unaware of her girlfriend's heavy scrutiny, she replies with ease on the tips of her lips.

 

"Of course,"

 

Tiffany sifts through the bag, checking each little box of presents one by one.

 

"Err, just not this one. I really like this one."

 

Jessica just sits patiently, smiling in anticipation.

 

"Definitely not this one. Nope, not this one either. Ooh! I really love this one!"

 

Jessica urges herself not to wring the happy girl.

 

It takes several moments and plenty of pretty boxes later when Tiffany finds the perfect one to share with her Jessi.

 

"Perfect! We can share this one!"

 

Jessica peers expectantly over Tiffany's shoulder, excitement coating her eyes.

 

"Oh? What is it Tiff?"

 

"The card!"

 

Jessica makes Tiffany sleep on the couch that night.

 

7. Together

 

Two women head into the store, scanning over for pets. They pause at the sight of little rabbits. One of them juggle six at once.

 

"Oh my god! There's too many to count!"

 

One of them walk over, to the amused cashier, clearly not sharing the same sentiment with her friend's glowing exuberance.

 

"We're not together, I swear." She tells her, but Yuri can't bring herself to take her seriously despite the scowl plainly plastering her face.

 

"Look Jessi! This one looks just like you! It's so cuuuuuute!"

 

Yuri merely laughs, because it's true and it's cute how the woman - Jessi - blatantly ignores her friend and repeats adamantly,

 

"No, really. We are NOT together."

 

"Oooh the bunny-Jessi is just as lazy as you! Look at it sleep!"

 

"Seriously. We are NOT together."

 

"BunnyJessi drools just as much as you do, Jessi!"

 

"I REFUSE to believe I'm in love with her!"

 

Yuri chuckles, having to need to settle her hand on her stomach to ease the pain of laughter still outlining her insides.

 

Three hours later, the two women leave with six bunnies, discussing about the possible names for their new pets, 'bunny-Jessi' excluded.

 

8. Kids

 

"Jessi, when we get married. I want kids."

 

Jessica raises an elegant brow, but otherwise accepts the statement with a casual shrug.

 

"Oh. Sure, then. But I don't know if we can actually handle them..."

 

"I'm handling you pretty well right now aren't I?"

 

Jessica smacks the back of Tiffany's head.

 

"...Ow." Tiffany rubs the newly-formed bruise with a gentle hand before continuing on. "But we can only adopt."

 

Jessica smacks her again for her ignorance.

 

"Duh. That's our only option."

 

Tiffany lets out a sigh, as if relieved. "But I'm glad 'cause there's a lower chance that they'll end up like you."

 

"What?"

 

"Like, you know. Fat."

 

Another smack from Jessica sends Tiffany's lips to the hard-wooden floor.

 

9. Reality

 

"You love me, don't you, Tiff?"

 

"Of course I do!"

 

"Why?"

 

"You, of all people, should know why I don't exactly have a choice."

 

"I do. I just want to hear it from you." Jessica says with a knowing smile. Tiffany rolls her eyes.

 

"You have the other half of my heart. But reality knows you have the keys to my apartment."

 

10. Fingers

 

"Wow, is that you typing, dear?"

 

Jessica looks up to find an elderly man looking at her amused.

 

"Yes sir,"

 

"Just like a machine gun," he hums in approval, nodding his head with a hand cradling his chin. "You aren't married, are you?"

 

"Not yet sir. Why?"

 

"Well, with those fingers as fast as a bullet, you certainly don't need a man in your life."

 

Jessica stares, jaw literally hanging as she watches his elderly wife smack him on the shoulder. She shakes her head to rid herself of a horrible thought it conjures up and bids the elder couple goodbye with a small smile as she hands them their groceries.

 

"Well, you couldn't be more right, I guess."

 

She definitely didn't need a man.

 

11. Slow

 

"What's up Jess?" Tiffany asks as soon as Jessica returns to the passenger's seat beside her.

 

The blonde brushes away a few locks of her hair over her shoulder before leaning back on the chair, musing almost thoughtfully.

 

"Well, that guy in there kept looking at me as if I was the prettiest girl he's ever seen."

 

"Huh." Tiffany hums quietly, looking back at the store Jessica had just come from. Jessica expects her to get angry once it fully processes into her head, but it's Jessica that fumes with blazing fury instead. "Must have been a pretty slow day then."

 

12. Truth

 

"It certainly took a while to get you to finally say yes, Jessica. Glad Tiffany and I managed to make you say yes to her proposal."

 

"Right. Well," Jessica starts thoughtfully, almost innocently. "I realized that maybe Tiffany was the best I could possibly do."

 

Krystal keeps the laughter from bursting through her lips by squeezing her stomach for better control.

 

"...You don't need to let her know that." She snorts before laughter takes over.

 

13. Amount

 

"How much do you love me, exactly?" Tiffany asks, although she should have seen it coming. Jessica muses casually over her shoulder from the sink.

 

"As big as your ."

 

"...Seriously? Do you want a beating?"

 

Jessica sticks her tongue out before returning to the dishes, speaking nonchalantly amidst ceramic clanking.

 

"Hey. I wanted to say as big as my heart, but we both know your is totally bigger."

 

"Oh..." Tiffany ponders over the revelation, and nods almost whole-heartedly. "True,"

 

14. Between

 

Seohyun and Krystal looks up when Tiffany strolls in from the backdoor.

 

"Pany-umma?"

 

"The truth finally came out Seororo."

 

"...About what, umma?"

 

Jessica storms through just as Tiffany settles down on the couch in front of the TV. Krystal stares on nervously.

 

"Tiff, all I told you was that you were the love of my life though!"

 

Tiffany huffs indignantly, clearly unamused as she reaches for the remote.

 

"Oh really now? Tell Seororo and Krystal WHY I am,"

 

"..."

 

"Jesshka-umma?"

 

"...Because she was the best that I could do."

 

Krystal gawks. She spills more than needed when her lips open automatically.

 

"You actually TOLD her?!"

 

Tiffany spins her head like a predator to its new prey. Krystal shudders involuntarily.

 

"You KNEW?!"

 

She runs as soon as Tiffany motions to stand, swerving past Jessica like a bullet. She gains a head start when she hears Tiffany tackle Jessica to the floor first before her steps shadow hers.

 

15. Security

 

Tiffany receives a call from a telemarketer. Jessica sits idly beside the window across from her in the living room, her black framed glasses gently placed atop the bridge of her nose.

 

"Hello?"

 

"Hello there. I'm calling to ask if you were interested in the greatest security system that could possibly be placed into your home for a very reasonable price. It has all the things you need with one of the most updated software of our current technology and -"

 

" - A security system?" Tiffany stares at Jessica and sees the way her lips curve into a knowing smirk. Jessica doesn't let slip a word as she flips a page of her book, clearly waiting for Tiffany's reply. "Uh, hate to break it to you, but I have a wife. That's more than enough security, thanks."

 

16. Status

 

Jessica glares impatiently at the nurse in front of her.

 

"Why can't I go see Tiffany?"

 

"I'm sorry miss, but I haven't yet processed your papers because of conflicting information."

 

"What conflicting information?"

 

"Um," Jessica's hard scrutiny makes 'Taeyeon' - or so the name tag states - visibly nervous, her hands clutching to the papers with shaky fingers. "Under the section of your marital status, you marked both 'yes' and 'no'."

 

"Right. So?"

 

"That is conflicting information, miss."

 

"...Okay, so..what?"

 

'Taeyeon' sighs, glancing up warily at dark brown eyes that felt like daggers were shooting from it.

 

"I need to know whether you are married or not, ma'am."

 

Jessica brushes locks of blonde in irritation, scoffing her reply.

 

"I'm not." Taeyeon looks back down to correct the information before Jessica presses almost vehemently. "But I will be."

 

"...But you aren't married right now, right?"

 

"...But I will be."

 

"That's pleasant to hear, but ma'am, you aren't married yet, right?"

 

"Didn't I just tell you I will be?"

 

"But not right now!"

 

"Hey! I already feel like I'm married to her!"

 

"Not officially!"

 

"But I LOVE her!"

 

"That's got NOTHING to do with it!"

 

"Love's got EVERYTHING to do with it!"

 

"That's beside the point!"

 

17. Conflict

 

"Guilt is such an irrational emotion."

 

Jessica hears Tiffany beyond the rain, beyond the small chatter of water hitting pavement as she pauses in her stride away from the woman who had hurt her. She doesn't turn around to see beyond the curtain of rain because she's too afraid of what she might find on Tiffany's face.

 

She croaks out a response even if Tiffany hadn't asked a question.

 

"...Why?"

 

Jessica's voice hangs in the air, making it thicker than it already is as Tiffany motions closer, her steps slapping against the water beneath her shoes.

 

"It doesn't change anything. It doesn't fix mistakes. It doesn't make you feel better. It just makes you feel lousier than you already do." Jessica ignores the wet strands of her hair that sticks against her skin, forgetting that her clothes are drenched and how she must look like a complete mess as Tiffany's voice becomes clearer over the rain. "A constant reminder of how miserable you should feel for mistakes you'd do anything to change."

 

Jessica smiles. It's as close to an apology she can get for now.

 

Without hesitation, she turns around so she can see Tiffany's face, and closes the small distance that was left between them.

 

Tiffany visibly shrinks back.

 

"Hey, what are you -"

 

Tiffany flinches, as if burned as Jessica's arms encircle her, clearly not expecting such a warm reaction from the woman. Jessica croaks out a vague whisper, her voice empathetic. Understanding.

 

"...You're so damn prideful."

 

Tiffany cringes at the truth, but accepts it with a wistful smile against Jessica's shoulder, finally returning the gesture with her arms around her waist. She squeezes Jessica closer to let her know she's sorry.

 

"Thanks for always putting up with me."

 

Jessica laughs against the side of Tiffany's neck, musing softly.

 

"I'm as much of a pain to deal with as you. So we're even."