De ja vu Part 2

You Again

A/N: For those who read the previous chapter before I realized my error, you might have noticed that it was exceedingly short compared to my other updates. Well, as it turns out, I forgot that I hadn't typed the entire chapter yet. So this right here is the last chansoo.

---

“So how was your…what exactly would you call your meeting with Chanyeol?”

“A get-together?”

Jongin had been tense the entire day about his husband and Chanyeol spending time alone at the latter’s house, taking every last bit of concentration to tune out the nagging apprehension even in the middle of surgery. Coming home, he’d tried to gauge Kyungsoo’s expression for any sign of excitement or anxiety, but he didn’t seem to be the least bit unusual.

They are now spooning in bed when Jongin is finally able to bring up the topic that’s been bothering him all this week.

“It was fun.”

“What did you do?”

“Talked, made kimbap, helped clean the house.”

“And it wasn’t awkward?”

“No.”

“Do you have something to tell me?”

“I love you?” Kyungsoo turns in Jongin’s embrace to face him and pinch his cheeks. “You Jonginnie have nothing to worry about. Chanyeol and I are just recreating our friendship without the one-sided romantic subplot. It does get pretty lonely here now that our daughter is in school, and I think I can say the same for Yeol, so it’d do both of us good to have a friend, yeah?”

“I guess. So I'm not losing you?”

Kyungsoo brings his face so close to Jongin’s that his breath ghosts over the pout that his husband is sporting, and then he rubs their foreheads together tenderly. “When I said my vows at our wedding, I meant what I said, Jongin.”

“So when are you going to see him next? Is this an everyday thing now?”

“I'm going back tomorrow for a jamming session.”

“That’s cool. At least you get to sing again.”

Kyungsoo’s eyes flutter shut as he gives a curt nod, relieved that his husband does not disapprove of his relationship with Chanyeol. And then Jongin asks, “Do you think Baekhyun is as cool about this as I am?”

“Frankly, I don’t think he even knows. But that’s their problem now. Good night, Jongin.”

“Good night, Soo. I’ll see you in the morning.”

“Every single day.”

---

After dropping Hyuna off at daycare, Kyungsoo does a little bit of vacuuming around the house, constantly checking the time on the wall clock, then proceeding to take a thorough scrub. Yesterday’s unease over meeting Chanyeol is now replaced by a giddy excitement; it had been so long since he last legitimately sang. He brings a tumbler of freshly steeped ginger tea, consuming it all before arriving at the Parks’ house. He also employs a few vocal warm-ups in the car, but Chanyeol didn’t need to know that. This was just a casual jamming session and no, he did not spend the whole morning rehearsing and fretting over a good impression.

Unbeknownst to him, Chanyeol had been busy tuning his guitar while Baekhyun was asleep and refreshing his memory of chords to a few of his favorite songs from college, but Kyungsoo didn’t need to know that. This was just a casual jamming session and no, he did not already prepare a set list to suggest to the other when he arrived.

Chanyeol hastily packs away his guitar in the attic when he hears Kyungsoo’s car roll up their driveway and makes it to the front door just as the familiar buzzing sound resonates in the mansion.

They greet each other with crinkling eyes and their signature smiles – Chanyeol’s wide, toothy grin and Kyungsoo’s dainty, heart-shaped one. Chanyeol invites the other over to the couch as he makes to retrieve his guitar. He intentionally lingers to give the impression that he is still searching for it, when in fact he’d just stored it there a few minutes back.

“Found it,” exclaims Chanyeol as he brandishes the instrument and makes his way beside Kyungsoo on the couch. “So do you have any song you’d like to try first?”

“Not really. You?”

“Well, there is this one song that I used to really love when we were in college. You might remember it – Nothin’ on You?”

Kyungsoo startles at the mention of that particular song because he actually has heard Chanyeol sing it a few times in the dormitory hallways and has since associated it with the elder. “Yeah, I think I still know the lyrics to that.”

“Outstanding! Ready when you are.”

“Yeah, start ripping.”

The early notes caress Kyungsoo’s ears and he can’t help but glance at Chanyeol’s delicate fingers as they glide across the guitar strings. He taps a foot in time to the melody and then it’s time for him to join in, words simply tumbling out. Chanyeol’s head turns in his direction at the first syllable, shy smile blooming on his face at recognition of that voice. He sings backup a bit during the chorus and then the song ends too soon for either, both energized and giggling.

“I almost forgot how beautiful your voice was, Soo. You need to remind me more frequently from now on.”

“And I almost forgot how much I enjoyed singing. What’s next on the lineup, Park Chanyeol?”

“What about an encore?”

---

It becomes a daily habit for Kyungsoo and Chanyeol to meet up during the day at one of their houses – cooking, cleaning, jamming, and just hanging around. They picked up from their halted friendship and have only gotten closer, even spending more of their waking time with each other than their respective families, what with their daughters being at school and their husbands at work most of the day.

They are in Kyungsoo’s house when he asks the question that he and Jongin have long had in their minds. “Does Baekhyun know about us? I mean this; does Baekhyun know about this?” Chanyeol sees the intense blush threatening to make Kyungsoo look like a tomato at the accidental implication that they were involved.

“He does and he’s happy I have company when he and Sungah aren’t at home. How about Jongin?”

“He does, and he’s also really glad about it. I think our husbands recognize that it’s harder for us to juggle parenthood and our careers. Like you mentioned before, being a CEO isn’t a 9 to 5 job: there are overtime meetings and documents to peruse even when you’re already home. In my case, service would prevent me from ever making it to dinner. Baekhyun on the other hand only has classes during the day and is free on weekends, while Jongin can always schedule his operations to fit his convenient time. So they let us be house husbands instead. And it gets pretty lonely; well, at least it used to. Then you came along.”

“Thank goodness for understanding husbands, then.”

“Praise. And to celebrate our spouses, what do you say we bake them a little treat? I have everything we need for a chocolate cake.”

“I think that would be lovely. But you need to teach me step by step, though.”

“I don’t mind; it’d be just like I was on my own cooking show, and you're the lucky audience member who gets to bake alongside me.”

“Teach me, master Soo.”

As they make their way to the kitchen, Chanyeol is left to wonder why he’d chosen to keep their day dates a secret from Baekhyun (and lied about it to Kyungsoo). But as he sees the younger pouting adorably while looking for a misplaced baking tin, the answer dawns on Chanyeol. He’d kept this a secret because you don’t tell your husband…

That you were starting to fall in love with his friend.

---

“It’s a good thing I have two mixers; otherwise you'd have to cream the butter manually.”

“Well I do have pretty decent guns on me,” brags Chanyeol while flexing his muscles. And holy , thought Kyungsoo, he wasn’t lying about those biceps.

“So do you want the mixer or not?” deadpans the younger.

“Yes, I do,” Chanyeol pleads, grabbing hold of the said mixer before Kyungsoo could take it away. “I was just joking around. So what’s first?”

“Mix the butter and the granulated sugar in a steel bowl and let her rip.”

Chanyeol measures the required amount of ingredients and then exclaims, “Holy cow – there’s this much butter in one cake?”

“You might want to remember that the next time you binge.”

The steady whir of the mixer drowns out all other noise in the kitchen until Kyungsoo deems the consistency of the butter mixture at the level where it should be and turns the machine off. “Now we add the eggs and sift the flour.”

Kyungsoo looks over to see Chanyeol pursing his lips in concentration as he ensures that each grain of flour is sifted straight to the bowl and not on the granite counter, but then powder flies up his face, causing him to have a violent coughing fit. Kyungsoo places a hand on his back and slides it gently up and down. “Are you alright?”

“Yeah,” Chanyeol manages to sputter in between coughs, “I’ll get used to it.” Kyungsoo has the most comforting lopsided smile aimed at him as his hand continues to hover across his back to even his breathing. But realizing it, Kyungsoo quickly pulls away and turns back to his bowl.

“Hey Soo?” As Kyungsoo cranes his neck to address him, Chanyeol grabs a fistful of flour and hurls it at the other’s face.

“Oh no you didn’t.” Kyungsoo retaliates with an even larger handful of flour. Soon they’re moving to cocoa powder and castor sugar, and then they’re breaking eggs in each other’s hair, like two high school students in one of those cafeteria food fights seen on TV, laughing and panting.

And then as romantic clichés go, they lock eyes for a spare second, breaths hitching, in the same position they were in all those years ago.

Only this time, Chanyeol leans in.

Only this time, the other kisses back.

---

A/N: I just had to mention the song. Hihi. So like I said previously, school has already started and I might not get to update this for a while. But you bet there will be more. Until next time! :D