De ja vu

You Again

Kyungsoo finds himself at the doorway of the Park residence for an unnecessary length of time, hands shakingly holding on to a box instead of reaching to ring the doorbell. He takes deep, steady breaths and assures (or tries to convince) himself that there was no cause for worry. But if he was being completely honest, he was terrified – he really does love Jongin; he wants to love only Jongin, but Chanyeol had been the first person he’d felt something for. And even after all these years, he still tugged at Kyungsoo’s heartstrings.

He was still very much affected. And that said a lot.

He finally lifts a finger to the buzzer and hears the sound echo throughout the entire house before he makes out the soft pitter patter of slippers scuffing against the polished wood. And then Chanyeol is there opening the door and disarming him with that grin that could only be his and hair still damp and dripping.

“Kyungsoo! You’re just in time; I’ve only finished cleaning about now. But don’t worry: I’ve showered all the sweat and grime off. Come in!”

Kyungsoo crosses the threshold and gasps because the house was stunning – polished redwood floors and plush couches, tasteful paintings and décor lining the walls, shelf upon shelf of musty hardbound classics and contemporary paperbacks. To put simply, the place was the product of Baekhyun’s expensive taste and Chanyeol’s more than sufficient savings. “You have a beautiful house, Yeol. I can see you let Baekhyun go wild with his vision.”

“Yeah, I'm not really into the whole interior decorating so I handed over the reins to my husband.” He just notices the package in Kyungsoo’s hands then. “You baked something?”

“Oh, yeah – strawberry shortcake. I know Baek likes it,” explains Kyungsoo as he hands it over.

“It looks sensational, Soo. But you really shouldn’t have.”

“Nonsense; it’s only proper guest etiquette. And if I distinctly remember from college, you were always the one treating me with food.”

“But I only always ordered takeout, whereas you made this yourself.”

“I bake a lot anyway. You know, with a three-year old and an oversized child in the house.”

“Really? Jongin looks so put together and professional though.”

“Well, he is a doctor so he has to. But when it’s just the two of us or when we’re with Hyuna, his brain sort of time travels backward twenty years.”

“And you're able to put up with that? You of all people.”

“Love’s weird like that.”

“Have you eaten yet? What do you say we whip something up? And then we can dig into this cake.”

“I never pass up an offer to cook. That and I'm curious to see Park Chanyeol work his magic in the kitchen.”

“You're making me nervous here, but I don’t think you'll be too disappointed.”

They end up making kimbap, Chanyeol looking like a flustered mess, although Kyungsoo finds that last bit more amusing than it is irritating.

“Just so you know, this doesn’t usually happen,” clarifies Chanyeol as he struggles to roll the kimbap, grains of rice messily sticking to his fingers and the wrapper.

“What’s the difference now?”

“You.” Kyungsoo thinks he sees softness in Chanyeol’s eyes but the latter quickly continues, “I am making kimbap with the owner of one of the city’s most celebrated restaurants, so I’m a bit pressured right now.”

“No, you're making kimbap with a college friend. Just dip your fingers in water before sticking them in the rice.”

“Yeah, I knew that. Haha. Sorry, I’ll try not to be so nervous now.”

“I'm sure superstar CEO slash husband Park Chanyeol can make kimbap.”

“Speaking of superstar, do you still sing?”

“Unless you count singing Hyuna to sleep, then no. Why?”

“You quit the org some time in college, and I kind of thought it was because you were avoiding me.”

“I just didn’t feel like I was getting anywhere, and I wasn’t really enjoying myself anymore, so I left.”

Chanyeol nods but Kyungsoo knows he doesn’t quite seem convinced. “It’s not because of you, Yeol. So don’t worry about it. And what about you – do you still play your gazillion instruments?”

Chanyeol bites his lip and shakes his head before continuing. “That’s why the group was so important to me – it was the only venue I had to play and to just pursue music in general. I played at clubs for a while after college, but when father found out he forced me out of it and I couldn’t disobey.”

The way Chanyeol tells his story feels as if just thinking about it breaks his heart. Kyungsoo places a wet, sticky, but reassuring hand on top of Chanyeol’s. “What do you say we go jamming the next time I come here? Ok, I just realized I invited myself back to your house. Awkward.”

“No, that’s an excellent idea,” Chanyeol reassures while visibly lighting up. “It’d be just like old times, yeah?”

“Yeah, just like old times.”

But hopefully this time, thinks Kyungsoo, it doesn’t end in heartbreak.

---

A/N: Hi! I swear this is the last for chansoo. Haha. However, the next chapter is probably going to take a while because school just started. Hang on! :D

PPS. Aaaaaah! I just realized I uploaded the draft of this chapter, which means there will be more chansoo in the future; I just haven't typed it yet. So I guess the next chapter (which is supposed to be part of this chapter) will be uploaded within the week. But the chapter after that is not yet in the works. Tsk tsk. I am so sorry.