How It All Went Awry

You Again

“Could you believe it? We’re uni students now!” And so they were, thinks Kyungsoo, as he and Baekhyun explore their new school with arms intertwined. He’s majoring in business while the other took up lit, but they enrolled in the same basic education classes their first semester. “I wonder where the frat houses are.”

“Oh my goodness Baek, you’re joking right?”

“What? Did you think I was interested in joining? Honey, I wouldn’t last a day. But all the hot guys are sure to be there, so that’s where we’re headed.”

Baekhyun and Junmyeon had decided to end their relationship because the latter was to study in Europe and the couple felt as if the long distance was too big of an issue to overcome. They remain friends and Skype casually, but Baekhyun was now again single and back with a vengeance.

“We really should get you a boyfriend, Kyungie. That way you have something else to kiss besides your Pororo doll!”

“Could we not talk about that? How are you so quick to go boy hunting, anyway? Is it that easy to forget Junmyeon?”

“I’m just looking for eye candy, not a relationship. To answer your question, I don’t know because I don’t try to.” He slows down in his steps and stares wistfully in the distance. Kyungsoo is suddenly sorry he’d mentioned it.

“Hey, cheer up! Who knows – maybe one day he’ll come back.”

“Yeah, yeah maybe he will. Let’s check our dorms?”

The moment they’d both gotten their admission slips, Baekhyun and Kyungsoo made sure they were roommates, because to them the idea of being too close was nonsense. They excitedly go to find their lodging when Kyungsoo stops to tie his shoelaces, left in the hallway by a too eager Baekhyun. When he stands up, he bumps into something warm and solid.

“Oops, I am terribly sorry,” says a deep, velvety voice.

“No, it’s fine. I wasn’t looking.” And he probably shouldn’t have looked because when he sees the stranger he collided with, Kyungsoo’s breath hitches. He was gorgeous.

“Hi! I’m Park Chanyeol, business major.”

“Hi. Do Kyungsoo, business major.”

“Are you a freshman, Kyungsoo?”

“Yeah,” he says sheepishly.

“Then I guess I’m your sunbae! I have to go now, but in case you have any questions about our program or need help with any of your subjects, just give me a knock at 605.”

“I will. Thanks, uh, Chanyeol hyung.”

“No need to be formal! Just call me Yeol!”

“Ok, Yeol. It was nice to meet you.”

“Likewise. Bye, Kyungsoo!”

“Bye,” he waves with a little too much enthusiasm, but Chanyeol just grins at him and waves back. He then whispers to himself, “Looks like I don’t have to go boy hunting anymore.”

---

Though not music majors, Kyungsoo and Baekhyun decide to audition for the university music group. Both being talented singers, they are accepted easily and are now gathered for the first meeting of the school year.

“Kyungsoo!” Someone bellows from across the auditorium, and the said man instantly recognizes the voice even before he turns his head to its direction.

 “Chanyeol!”

“Fancy seeing you here. You play?”

“Vocals. You?”

“I play the guitar and drums.”

“Wow.” Kyungsoo begins to think how infinitely more attractive Chanyeol is with his musical dexterity, but a cough from his side causes him to snap out of his infatuation. “Oh yes. Chanyeol, this is my best friend and roommate, Baekhyun. Baek, this is my sunbae in the business program, Chanyeol.”

The two shake hands a tad longer than is necessary and have shy smiles on their faces even when they pull apart.

Kyungsoo doesn’t notice.

In retrospect, this is the starting point to which their rift could be traced – the first crack that goes unnoticed but will ultimately spell the shattering of their friendship.

“Well,” Chanyeol continues, “I’m always glad to have new members. See you around!”

“You are whipped,” Baekhyun deadpans once Chanyeol is out of earshot.

“What?”

“What?” he repeats mockingly. “Kyungsoo, you so have a thing for that guy.”

“Ok, so maybe I do. Isn’t he amazing?”

“Uhm…yeah, sure. A little too tall for you and a little too smiley, but sure.”

“Do you think he’s gay? Do I have a chance with him?”

“I actually can’t tell. Just don’t get your hopes too high, alright? If he talks to or hangs out with you, don’t take it too personally. He seems like that kind of guy who’s just naturally friendly to everyone.”

“I think I have enough sense not to delude myself.”

Baekhyun rolls his eyes. “Too early to say that, Soo. You may be the smartest person I know, but when it comes to love all mental faculties are negligible.”

“So I’ll be stupid?” Kyungsoo asks, mortified.

“Yes, you’ll be hopelessly stupid.”

“Love suddenly doesn’t sound so appealing.”

“Well, judging by the way you just now looked like an overzealous seal presented with a bucket of tuna, you my friend have reached the point of no return. But don’t be too distressed. For all the heartbreak, this is one experience you won’t find yourself regretting.”

If by experience, he meant having their long standing friendship in ruins over one guy, Kyungsoo most definitely ended up regretting that.

---

Months pass with nothing particularly noteworthy taking place, but then Christmas comes and with it their music group’s holiday concert. A single solo is reserved for the new members and naturally, both friends have their eyes on it. They’ve heard and greatly complimented each other’s singing countless times before, but with the threat of competition, they make an unspoken agreement not to practice in the presence of the other. As a result, Kyungsoo finds himself in Room 605, belting out his audition piece.

“Wow, just wow. I knew you had the chops because you got in, but I didn’t know you were this good. Your voice is breathtaking, Soo.”

Somehow, Kyungsoo’s brain processes the praise as “You are breathtaking,” triggering the dilation of blood vessels and consequent reddening of his face. “Thanks, Yeol. Do you think I have a shot at that solo?”

“Absolutely! Though I think you should stop rehearsing just about now. What do you say we order some takeout? Something piping hot and with ginger to balm your voice? My treat.”

“I don’t mean to impose.”

“Oh, don’t be silly. Sehun won’t probably be around until  at least 2 in the morning, and I hate eating by myself.”

“The way you put it, it’s as if I’m doing you a favor.” He chuckles, blush still in full glory. Chanyeol thinks he’s just cold.

“Well, you are. I really enjoy your company, Soo.”

Kyungsoo finally relents. He hears Baekhyun’s reminder at the back of his mind but he can’t shake off the feeling that his sunbae doesn’t treat just anybody the way he does Kyungsoo.

On the day of the auditions, Kyungsoo leaves it all on the stage, baring his emotions yet mustering enough restraint to still sing with technical precision. He feels electric to be standing there with microphone in hand, a single spotlight casting him in an ethereal glow, no other sound but his own voice resonating in the auditorium. His eyes catch sight of Chanyeol seated along one of the back rows, vaguely registering the entrancement on his face, and it only makes him want to give an excellent performance even more.

At the end of it, as he drops the microphone to his side, the judges are silent and expressionless and inform him to keep posted for the results. He bows and alights the stage, making his way to the exit where Chanyeol is already waiting for him with a dazzling beam. “It was beautiful,” he comments before wrapping Kyungsoo in an embrace. He is startled frozen at the touch but eventually reciprocates, wrapping his arms around the taller boy’s neck and resting his head at the junction between his head and shoulder. There is not a single doubt in his being that his feelings for Chanyeol weren’t one-sided. He only realizes later on that it was all just wishful thinking.

---

“Congrats, Baek,” Kyungsoo says with glee, although the look in his eyes betrays the underlying disappointment.

“Thank you!” Baekhyun had been ecstatic when he saw his name on the announcements board under ‘Soloists,’ until it dawned on him that he had just bested his friend for the position they equally aspired. A pang of guilt rises like bile in his throat when Kyungsoo congratulates him on the achievement. This was the very definition of bittersweet.

Kyungsoo detects the unspoken apology on Baekhyun’s tongue and proceeds, “You really shouldn’t feel bad, you know. I’ll just try again next year, unless you know, you beat me then.”

“This won’t change anything, right?”

“Definitely not. Hey, Baek?”

“Yes?”

“What do you think about me asking Chanyeol out? I just know something’s there and I don’t want to wait anymore for him to make a move.”

“Well, I think there’s nothing wrong with it. How do you intend to tell him?”

“That I still haven’t decided on. Any ideas?”

“Well, when Junmyeon had told me he liked me he just said it straight. If he does feel the same way, he really wouldn’t care if you stutter or are a mumbling mess. If you’re lucky, he’ll even kiss you just to stop you from talking.”

“Was it like that when Junmyeon confessed to you?”

“It was. He was already blabbering so I shut him up with a quick peck to his lips. Not how I’d imagined my first kiss, which was more along the lines of Princess Diaries, foot jerking up, but seeing Junmyeon blush more than made up for that. After having that reaction for so long when he so much as acknowledged my presence or glanced my way, it felt so satisfying to be the one making him blush. So don’t take a cue from Snow White and go after your man. Fighting!”

After hearing his best friend’s words, Kyungsoo only felt surer about what he was going to do. He politely excuses himself and five minutes later, finds himself knocking on the door to Room 605. Chanyeol greets him with a surprised but warm smile.

“Can I come in? Or is Sehun here?”

“Yes and no. Come in, I ordered pizza.”

Kyungsoo stuffs himself with a freshly toasted slice of pepperoni pizza before he makes a move to speak. “Yeol, I kind of have something to tell you.”

“Ooh, me first. I know you didn’t get the solo, but Soo you are an incredibly talented singer and you shouldn’t feel less confident of yourself. This is only the first of many opportunities to show what you’re capable of. For now, I guess I’ll have the pleasure of listening to you all to myself. Now, what is it you wanted to tell me?”

Kyungsoo decides not to tell Chanyeol anything; he kisses him to get the point across. His lips feel so soft and warm but the elation dissipates as quickly as it arose when Chanyeol doesn’t return the kiss and he feels him stiffen instead. Kyungsoo pulls back embarrassedly and sees the drop in Chanyeol’s previous grin, his heart dropping with it. He doesn’t even have to hear him say anything to know he’s made a mistake.

“I am so sorry if any of my actions gave you reason to think I was making a move. You really are special to me, Soo, but I just don’t see you in the way you probably see me. Can we still be friends?”

Kyungsoo knows he has to leave now before his legs give up from under him. “I have to go.” He only just makes it past the door before he bolts off, leaving droplets of water on the carpet in his wake.

---

Baekhyun knows from the way Kyungsoo ran straight to the bathroom that his confession hadn’t turned out as he expected. He wants to be there for his friend, who is sure to be crestfallen, but knowing Kyungsoo would rather weep in silence and solitude, he stays still. He hears the shower running but Kyungsoo’s trembling sobs manage to pierce through the thrum of running water. Despite losing the solo, it gave Kyungsoo comfort to know that he still had Chanyeol by his side, but that was apparently no longer the case. Baekhyun hopes his friend doesn’t dwell too hard on the rejection, but the first is always the most painful because your heart doesn’t know how to respond to the damage yet. He moves from the couch to the bed and makes to sleep so Kyungsoo can continue crying to himself.

When Baekhyun doesn’t wake up the next morning to the smell of bacon and eggs wafting from the kitchen, he sighs and decides to sit down and talk with Kyungsoo. “Don’t starve yourself over this.”

“I’m just not in the mood to cook breakfast. Make your own.”

“Then at least eat your cereal. It’s getting soggy it’s gross.”

Kyungsoo continues playing with the disintegrated corn flakes in his bowl. “Do you remember that first day you met Chanyeol? You told me not to raise my hopes up and I said I wouldn’t.”

“Soo, don’t go there.”

“You were right, Baek. I’m so stupid.”

“Yah! You’re crying into your milk.”

“Damn Chanyeol for being so friendly. What kind of guy just hugs you when he feels like it and constantly says you’re amazing and your voice takes his breath away?”

Baekhyun can feel the fury bubbling to the surface and knows he shouldn’t be happy about it, but he morbidly is. At least Kyungsoo wasn’t blaming himself. “Someone straight?”

“Oh no, he’s not straight if you go by the magazines he has hidden under his mattress. Who still buys those anyway? You can get everything online for free!”

Baekhyun doesn’t bother asking how his friend had gotten to snooping under Chanyeol’s bed. “Someone rich?”

“Damn it. Damn him. Damn me. The one time I fall in love with someone, I end up being Eponine.”

“Well, she does have the best solos. I mean, the best songs.”

“Baek, someone just broke my heart. I no longer give a about the solo. Come to think of it, I’m going to quit.”

“No,” says Baekhyun, not at all liking where this is headed. “Because Yeol is there?”

“Yes, because Yeol is there. At least now I can drop pretending I’m dumb so he can tutor me.”

“You pretended to be dumb? How?”

“Keep nodding and say aaah when he attempts to teach something you already know. It actually isn’t too hard because I’m so dumb anyway when he’s around.”

“It’s ok, sweetie. That’s love.”

“How come you got lucky with Junmyeon?”

“We don’t all have the fortune of having the first frog we kiss turn into a prince. But just so you know, Junmyeon has a boyfriend now – a gorgeous English boyfriend with blond hair and blue eyes. I saw their picture on Facebook. So you’re not the only one grieving over your first love.” That was only partially true, because sure Junmyeon had a new boyfriend, but Baekhyun wasn’t at all grieving.

“I’m sorry. Do you want to go boy hunting, then?”

“Please don’t the first guy you see.”

“Why? ity is so overrated. I’ll jump the first horse on the carousel. And aren’t you usually the one dragging me to stalk guys?”

“Well, I’ll join you to make sure you don’t continue on your stupidity streak and get knocked up, but I think I’ll pass on the flirting.”

“Whatever. Can I have some of your lube – the one I know you have hidden in your drawer for when you finger yourself?”

“What the hell? Go get your own!” Baekhyun usually is the one eager to go boy hunting, but he realized last night that he already had his target on someone’s back. Or rather, someone’s heart. Because when Kyungsoo came home in tears, he wasn’t entirely sad about it.

---

Kyungsoo stops seeing Chanyeol, but Baekhyun fortunately convinced him to stay in their music group, which is now busy with preparations for the year-end concert. Kyungsoo is determined to claim the solo this time around, although there no longer is anyone there to listen to and cheer him on.

More importantly, there’s no one there to console him when he loses to Baekhyun a second time.

When Christmas rolls by again, Kyungsoo disproves whoever said that third time was the charm. He wishes Baekhyun would let him get the solo at least once.

The next time, he just stops caring.

But when he sees Baekhyun furtively stealing glances at Chanyeol during rehearsals, the beast named envy decides to rear its ugly head. And he brought along his friend wrath.

“Hey Baek, are you still not over Junmyeon?” Kyungsoo pipes in nonchalantly that night over dinner.

The boy in question arches an eyebrow, surprised at the spontaneity of the inquiry. “Why do you ask?”

“I’m just surprised you’re still single.”

“What exactly are you implying?” Baekhyun counters, daring Kyungsoo to continue.

“Oh, nothing – just that maybe there’s something you aren’t telling me. Like, you know, the last time.”

“No, of course not. I’d tell you right away if I was in a relationship with someone.”

“What about if you had a crush on someone?” The tone is accusatory and Baekhyun detects that Kyungsoo knows more than he’s letting on.

“If you know something, there’s no need to beat around the bush.”

“When did you start liking Chanyeol?”

“That’s insignificant.”

“I’ll decide if it’s a pointless question. So answer it.”

“Ok, so maybe I’ve liked him for a long time now. What?”

“Did you jump for joy when you found out he rejected me? Because then you had a chance?”

“Excuse me, but I was there for you the whole time you were moping. Of course I was sad!”

“But not sad enough to stay away from him, right?”

“I stayed away from him. I still do, because after all this time you still can’t get over him. And do you think if I had the choice, I’d go for the same guy you liked?!”

“Why is it that you have to always want the things that I do?”

“I knew it. I knew this is about the solos. It isn’t my fault I’m the more talented one.”

“You are not. I’m sure the only reason you always get the part is because you the judges like the you are.”

“If it helps you sleep at night, then go ahead and believe that. But have you even heard my performances? Come on, Kyungsoo – don’t kid yourself.”

“You’re such a narcissist. In fact, you’re so egotistical you can’t even spare your best friend a single solo. Honestly, would it kill you to step out even once?”

“Hypocrite. You would do the same.”

“I wouldn’t. But if it helps you sleep at night, then go ahead and believe that.”

“Why didn’t you tell me it bothered you so much instead of pretending to be happy for me?!”

“I didn’t realize you were too dull to figure that out. Why didn’t you tell me about Chanyeol?”

“Because just as I’d predicted, you’ll out on me. He doesn’t like you!” They’ve been yelling for a while now, trying to shut each other up, but Baekhyun knows he’d just gone too far. “I’m sorry.”

“What is it about me, anyway? What’s wrong?”

“Nothing. Just because one guy doesn’t like you, doesn’t mean there’s something wrong with you.”

“How come I can’t bring myself to believe that? Baek, I think you need a new roommate.”

“You’re joking, right? Tell me you’re only messing with me. Because of a stupid boy and a few stupid solos?”

“To you they must be stupid, but they meant everything to me.”

“So you’re just going to throw away our friendship, the one we’ve built all these goddamn years, because of your insecurities?”

“Maybe if I step out of your shadow, I can fix those goddamn insecurities. I’m going home.”

“You’re selfish, you know that? Taking this all out on me? You’re a , Do Kyungsoo.” Baekhyun bites out at the other’s retreating figure.

Kyungsoo turns back at the door to face his friend one last time. “Guess what? You’re a too, Byun Baekhyun.”

---

A/N: I kind of think this doesn't flow well with their present day story, but I'll try to address some of those inconsistencies in the next few chapters. That's the end of their history, so we're now returning to preggers Soo and Baek. I am determined to make it more y and not so angsty anymore. Haha. :D