You Again

You Again

“Soo, baby!” Jongin screams at his husband from the living room.

“I’m coming!”

“You’ve been saying that for the past half an hour now. What’s taking you so long, anyway?”

“Choosing what to wear, duh.” Jongin can feel Kyungsoo’s eyes roll from their bedroom a floor above, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

“You have like five sweaters to choose from!”

“Exactly – I have five sweaters to choose from.”

“Well then hurry up. We’re going to be late for your appointment.”

My appointment? Oh I’m sorry Kim Jongin, but just so you know I wouldn’t be having this baby if you hadn’t insisted on !”

Our appointment then. And I love you more than puppies and fried chicken, but I’ve already waited too long for you to marry me. Do I have to wait just as long for you to get ready?”

“You’re really never going to let that go, are you? And isn’t it nice that our relationship has a constant theme – you waiting for me?”

At long last, Kyungsoo comes out of the bedroom, baby bump prominently showing in a fuzzy, gray sweater and maternity jeans. And Jongin still thinks his husband is the iest person on earth. He goes to fetch Kyungsoo and assist him in going down the stairs, gently and step by step to avoid any untoward incidents. Kyungsoo is by nature impatient, but being pregnant has taught him how to take things slowly. He considers himself lucky that his husband is so concerned for his and their baby’s wellbeing.

Jongin opens the passenger door to their SUV and seats Kyungsoo, never once releasing a steady hold on his hand. He hovers over the protrusion in Kyungsoo’s midsection and fastens his seatbelt for him, then placing a chaste kiss on his forehead before making his way to the driver’s seat.

“Ready?”

Kyungsoo feels a warmth spreading in his chest because his husband had probably waited a whole hour for him to fix himself, once in a while nagging him about the possibility of running late, but just as when he’d proposed, he still made sure Kyungsoo was comfortable before going ahead. He truly was blessed to be married to this oaf. “Go hit the pedal before I change my mind about this.”

They’d been deciding since they found out Kyungsoo was expecting whether or not to know the of the baby beforehand. There was the thrill of only discovering at the last minute when the doctor exclaims, “It’s a bouncing baby boy” or “Congratulations, you have yourselves a girl,” but they ultimately decided to find out now to better prepare for when their little angel comes bursting into their lives.

They arrive at the clinic just as the secretary calls their names and ushers them in for their appointment. Jongin grips his husband’s hand tight as the obstetrician glides the transducer over Kyungsoo’s glistening tummy. There is no reason at all to be nervous, but Jongin still feels his hands get clammy from the anxiety. He really didn’t mind whichever their baby had, but it was a pretty exciting and suspense-ridden moment for the both of them.

Kyungsoo chuckles at how adorable Jongin is acting, eyes shut so as not to spoil himself. He was a doctor after all, and although he didn’t specialize in pregnancies, he’d know what he was looking at if he caught sight of the screen, and he’d rather be told than to make the pronouncement. His eyes flutter open when the doctor’s sonorous voice brings him out of his stupor. “Mr. and Mr. Kim, it looks like you’re having a daughter.” The soon-to-be fathers swing their intertwined hands and flash a hearty grin in each other’s direction. A girl! Now they could brainstorm possible names for their baby, although they probably wouldn’t really settle on one until they already have to.

Jongin helps Kyungsoo wipe the gel off his abdomen, enthused smile still plastered on his face. With the doctor still in close proximity, he showers his husband’s exposed belly with soft kisses.

“Jongin! You’re supposed to dry my stomach, not coat it in your drool.”

“I’m just really happy, Soo. We’re gonna have a daughter!”

Jongin’s thrill is palpable and very much infectious, as Kyungsoo finds himself mirroring his cheeky grin, lips stretching into their signature heart shape.

Jongin pulls Kyungsoo’s sweater down and eases him off the bed. They step out of the room with their arms linked and joy still radiating, but said joy is short-lived for Kyungsoo when he comes face to face with someone he’d rather stay in his past. That …

“Byun Baekhyun!”

---

“Is this the Do Kyungsoo?” Baekhyun asks with the fakest smile he can slap on his face, wondering if it’s too late to leave now. “What are you doing here?”

“Having a checkup, stupid.” Kyungsoo retorts in a teasing manner, although in all honesty he really did mean that last part. “What are you doing here? Alone, I mean.” He places a hand on his chest in mock surprise. “Are you a single parent? Did you get knocked up when you were out drinking and the guy left you hanging?” Jongin pinches him lightly on the arm as a sign that he was maybe going too far. Baekhyun however seems unaffected. Instead, he playfully (although intentionally forcefully) slaps Kyungsoo on his free arm, catching him unawares.

“Very funny, Soo. I can see you still find humor in other people’s misfortunes. Classic. No, I’m here alone because my husband, as much as he wants to accompany me on my checkup, has his hands full running the family company. You know…Park Chanyeol?” An eyebrow arches quizzically and a corner of Baekhyun’s lips twitches up mischievously. Mention of the name causes Kyungsoo to blanch.

Baekhyun revels in it.

“Park Chanyeol…is your husband?” Kyungsoo asks, disbelief plain on his face and in his tone.

“Mmm hmm. You know, the guy you were hopelessly in love with in college?”

“Baekhyun, there’s no need to bring that up,” mutters Kyungsoo under his breath. The gall of this to mention it. “How on earth did a tramp like you snag Park Chanyeol?”

“You know what? I’d love to tell you, but I think the secretary already called my name for my prenatal. Although,” he pauses for emphasis, bringing a finger to his lips before making his suggestion, “we could treat you to dinner one of these days. I’m sure Chanyeol would be delighted to regale you of our fairytale love story.”

“That’s a wonderful idea! But better yet, why don’t we have dinner at our restaurant instead? You might have heard of it: Gallery?”

It is Baekhyun’s turn to be flustered. Kyungsoo revels in it.

“You? Own Gallery?”

“Yes. So you do know it. I’d be happy to get you a discount if you like.”

“You’re too kind. But really, didn’t I just say my husband was the CEO of his own company?”

“Of course! How daft of me. You have a rich husband. So what do you say? Friday eight o’clock.”

“How could I say no to a double date with my best friend?”

If the term used to warm Kyungsoo’s heart, he finds it only now grates on his eardrums. “You better not say no. And if you get any ideas about standing me up, the next time I see you I’ll push you off the stairs and pass it off as a miscarriage.”

“Oh, Soo. You would so do that. I almost forgot what a vile spawn of hell you were.”

“You remember what they used to call me in college, right? I believe you came up with the nickname yourself.”

“Very well then, now it really is time for my appointment. See you this Friday!” And to make it worse for either man, they had to seal it with a hug.

Kyungsoo immediately drops his artificial grin the minute Baekhyun turns away, rubbing a hand to his spasmed cheeks. Jongin waits until they’re settled in the car before speaking up. “Are you sure that was a great idea? No, let me rephrase that: it’s a bad idea to invite those two to dinner.”

Kyungsoo turns to face his husband who looks sincerely worried. “Of course it’s a good idea. I have to know how that got himself hitched to Chanyeol,” he grits, absolutely adamant on his decision.

“Speaking of whom, are you sure you’re over him?” Jongin asks hesitantly, as if fearing the answer. Kyungsoo is quick to notice and placate him.

“Jongin, of course! I wouldn’t have taken an eternity to accept your proposal if I was still pining over someone else. I love you and only you, Jonginnie.” Not a word of it was false. Kyungsoo absolutely adores his husband. He just was curious to see how Baekhyun ended up with Chanyeol.

“Well, I’m sure I won’t be able to convince you otherwise, anyway. But don’t stress yourself too much, alright?”

“I won’t.” And, thinks Kyungsoo now that he wasn’t provoked, maybe it wasn’t such a clever idea to sit down for dinner with his ex-best friend and his ex-crush.

And if he was being completely truthful with himself, he was worried to see Chanyeol after all these years. He’d just assured Jongin that he’d moved on, but now suddenly…

He wasn’t too sure.

---

The week passes too quickly for Kyungsoo, and before he’s aware, it’s Friday already. Friday: date night with Baekhyun and Chanyeol. He spent all day yesterday shopping for something to wear, which wasn’t the easiest of activities because there weren’t many stylish maternity clothes for men on the market. Jongin had patiently accompanied him throughout the ordeal, canceling all his operations to ensure that Kyungsoo wouldn’t stress too much or spend too much. In the end, he just bought another woolen sweater.

He is now standing in front of the full-length mirror in their bedroom, anxiously inspecting and being displeased with how he looks, when a familiar pair of arms wraps around his enlarged waist. “You look gorgeous, Soo” coos Jongin from behind him, placing a kiss on his neck. Kyungsoo rests his hands on top of his husband’s and leans into the embrace.

“I never think so.” He turns to look Jongin in the eye, arms finding their way around his neck. “But when you say it, I believe you.”

“You’re sure you don’t want to cancel?”

“That would be rude. I’m just nervous, is all.”

If Jongin picks up on his apprehension in seeing Yeol, he doesn’t show it. “Let’s go.”

Kyungsoo nods and then they’re off. He’s always been giddy when going to work at his restaurant, but for once he feels as if he’s a dead man walking.

---

Kyungsoo and Jongin greet their guests with the most welcoming expressions they can muster, leading them to their reserved table at an intimate area of the restaurant detached from the general commotion.

“Full house,” Chanyeol comments when the four have seated. “I expected as much. Baek and I always come here on our dates. Who knew an old friend of his owned the place?”

“Well, I don’t really leave the kitchen during service. I’m too worked up about all the dishes being perfect.”

“That’s probably why all the dishes are perfect.” Kyungsoo blushes at Chanyeol’s words. Jongin sees.

Kyungsoo pinches his forehead before hastily adding, “How silly of me not to have done this fist thing. Baekhyun, Chanyeol, this is my husband Kim Jongin.” Jongin smiles and shakes hands with the other couple, although it wrenches his heart that Kyungsoo only introduced him as his husband. He knew Kyungsoo wasn’t too into public demonstrations of affection, but he wished he could have spared an adjective or two.

“Kim Jongin, why does that name sound so familiar?” Chanyeol muses, fingers rubbing at his chin.

Jongin supplies, “We went to a few classes together. I was lanky and wore glasses.” He halts momentarily and then barely audibly squeaks, “You and Sehun used to pick on me a lot?”

Recognition dawns on Chanyeol’s face, eyes dilating and fingers snapping at a Eureka moment. “Kkamjong Potter!” His voice drops when he realizes that he used to bully the man in front of him. “Oh. Oh. I really am sorry for that, Jongin. I was a massive jerk back then.”

“No, it’s fine. It actually pushed me to work out and have my vision corrected. But yeah, you were a pretty huge a-hole in college.”

“So, what do you do now Jongin?” Kyungsoo can feel the condescending curiosity concealed in Baekhyun’s singsong voice.

“I’m a plastic surgeon.” That usually impresses the people they meet, but it induces a startlingly different reaction in Baekhyun, mouth forming an O as if something finally hits him.

“Kyungsoo, so that’s why your nose doesn’t look too squished!”

Oh hell no, thinks Kyungsoo. Someone just flipped on his switch. He laughs off the comment. “Yes Baekhyun, I had a nose job. At least I got it for free.”

“Can I feel it?”

And before Kyungsoo could even process the stupid question, Baekhyun reaches over the table and pinches the bridge of his nose. “Oh my God! It really does feel different! But you did such an outstanding job with his nose, Jongin.”

“Uhh, thanks?” He sees the frustration in his husband’s face so he squeezes his hand from underneath the table and adds, “I actually thought he looked so beautiful to start with, cute button nose and all, but he seemed pretty set on a rhinoplasty. And well, as a doctor I couldn’t really deny him. But it honestly doesn’t matter to me.”

Kyungsoo sees the embarrassment in Baekhyun’s face. He owes Jongin a little something tonight. “So, shall we eat?” he suggests, because well that really was what they came for. All three men nod a head vigorously in response.

---

Chanyeol wolfs down his meal, constantly spitting out compliments in between mouthfuls, although the zeal with which he eats is praise enough. Baekhyun on the other hand seems torn between “Wow, this is delicious!” and “Damn it, this is delicious.” Kyungsoo beams in pride because these are his recipes. And he might or might not have told his line cooks to pay particular attention to Baekhyun’s and Chanyeol’s food. He didn’t hear a word of acclaim from the midget seated across him, but he didn’t have to because Baekhyun’s face said it all.

“So Kyungsoo, how did you meet Kkam…I mean Jongin?”

The truth of the matter is that he met Jongin in college while he was sobbing in a cubicle at one of their university’s restrooms. What, or who, he was weeping over, well is pretty obvious. He was seated right across the table. But they didn’t need to know that.

“When I met Soo, let’s just say he was in a difficult time. I went up to him to offer a tissue, pat him in the back, and then he spilled his heart out. And I guess…I guess I caught it.”

“Awwww,” coos Chanyeol while his husband tries to hold down the vomit rising up his throat. And no, it isn’t because he’s pregnant.

“This was in college, yes?”

Kyungsoo and Jongin both nod. Chanyeol then turns to his husband and asks, “Then how come you didn’t know him, Baek? Did Kyungsoo keep their relationship a secret?”

The two pregnant men at the table flush at the question. Baekhyun didn’t know Jongin because at the time they’d already fallen out of their friendship. But apparently, Baekhyun had grazed over the subject of their rift.

“Baek and I didn’t really get to see a lot of each other that time. We were already seniors then, so we were quite occupied with our schoolwork and wanting to graduate.”

That was a big, fat lie because real friends, like the pair used to be in the old days, would always, without fail, find time to catch up and talk – especially if they were gushing over boys. But Chanyeol didn’t seem to know this universal truth and had accepted Kyungsoo’s alibi.

“And you just got married recently?”

“Well yes. Jongin finished med school, I was trying to establish the restaurant, and then when he finally proposed I may have took quite some time considering it. Not because I was unsure of our relationship, but just about marriage in general.”

Baekhyun nods, understanding where Kyungsoo’s apprehension stemmed from. His parents were practically forced by their parents into the marriage, so Kyungsoo had grown up in a household where shouting matches and shattering china were not an unusual occurrence. Baekhyun’s own parents divorced when he was five; their coming from dysfunctional families was one of the reasons they gravitated toward each other as teens.

“Baek was the same, but ultimately his faith in what we had trumped his fear of failed relationships.”

“How did you two get together, anyway?” Kyungsoo finally brings up the question he’d been dying to ask all week long.

“I remembered Baek from college, actually, and I have to admit he’d always caught my eye.” Kyungsoo shouldn’t be affected but he finds his heart drop at the confession. All along, Chanyeol had liked Baekhyun. It would have saved them all a great deal of heartbreak and fights if only they’d known that then.

“I don’t know why I didn’t pursue him then,” he looks at his husband lovingly at this point, “but I guess we were fated to bump into each other again at a later time. So it was that when I started interning at my dad’s company, I’d always catch him at the shop where I used to fetch coffee for my bosses. He’d have a different book in his hands every day, but he’d sit at the exact same spot. I was always in a hurry so I could only briefly glance at him when I was there, but one day I just thought I’d risk running a minute late. I came up to him, said “Hi! I’m Park Chanyeol” and slipped my number with the coffee that I’d gotten for him.”

“And then he just ran away.”

“But he did text me that night to invite me for lunch. I guess you don’t really have to ask what came next.”

“And you only got married recently too?”

“Not really. We’ve been married for quite some time now, but it’s only now that our prayers for a child were granted. We were so excited when we found out, I literally swept Baek off his feet and just spun him around. Of course I was horrorstruck when it caught up with me that he was pregnant and I probably should put him down.”

They continue talking about their respective marriages well until closing, before Baekhyun and Chanyeol ask to take their leave.

“That actually went better than I expected, wouldn’t you agree?”

“Surprisingly, it did go fairly well. You know, besides Baekhyun reaching over the table to feel my nose job. Thank you for coming to my rescue by the way.” He slips a hand on Jongin’s thigh and whispers in his most sensual, suggestive tone, “Although I could show you rather than tell you how grateful I am.”

“Well, I’ve always been more disposed to believe in actions.”

And as they press their lips together, alone in their second home, Kyungsoo really is thankful for the way the night had turned out. That doesn’t mean he’d want to see Baekhyun in the future though.

But then his baby kicks him from his stomach, as if wanting him to realize how ridiculous that line of thinking was. And when he stops to mull on it, he also feels that this isn’t the last he’ll see of that , Byun Baekhyun.

---

A/N: This was a nightmare to re-type. Haha. Anyway, this would probably have three or four chapters. We're yet to get to the good, really y parts. Kyungsoo and Baekhyun's back story is up next! Idk when that will be exactly, but I'll only be working on this fic in the immediate future, so not too long I hope? And I hope you guys enjoyed this! Because it was really fun to write. :D