Chapter 1

Devil's Temptation
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I stepped into the elevator and turned around to face the open doors, admiring the extravagance of the lobby. This place seemed more like a hotel than an apartment complex, with the expansive columns and marble floors.

 

When Heechul said I could stay with him until I found a job, I had no idea he lived like this. I thought it would be a two-story apartment complex. That’s kind of what I was expecting. I certainly wasn’t anticipating a high-end apartment in the middle of downtown.

 

Finding the panel, I pressed the button for the thirteenth floor, looking up at the mirrored wall of the elevator. I spent all day yesterday and most of this morning packing everything I needed. For as long as I could remember, I had been living with my parents in a small apartment outside the city. Initially, I couldn’t afford to continue my education, but since I got a scholarship to go to this university, I could finally lessen their burden.

 

I didn’t bring much, but after all that packing and the journey here, my exhaustion was pretty evident in my reflection. My hair was a mess on top of my head and my eyes, which were usually as brown as my hazelnut hair, looked ten shades darker now thanks to the bags under them.

 

As soon as the elevator doors began to close, they opened again. Spotting a guy rushing towards the elevator, I pressed the button to my right to prevent the doors from closing.

 

“Thanks,” he said.

 

I gave him a smile and he grinned at me in return. This guy’s appearance was clean cut, wearing nice clothes, nice watch, nice shoes. He looked like a child from a rather well off family.

 

“Floor twelve,” he said without looking away from me, and I pressed the button accordingly. He kept on staring at me for a few more minutes, then glanced down at the luggage I brought.

 

“Moving in?” he asked.

 

I nodded to him in return.

 

“What floor?”

 

It’s not that I had trust issues, but I hardly knew the guy, so I just kept silent. He glanced at the panel where the 12th and 13th numbers glowed.

 

Dammit.

 

“You must be Heechul’s cousin,” He laughed, as we were about to reach his floor.

 

He arched his dark, thick eyebrow at me. It was a nice eyebrow. It was attached to a nice face, which was attached to a nice head, which was attached to a nice body. This guy really looked nice from top to toe. A rich family’s kid blessed with good looks, I concluded.

 

He grinned at me after seeing me give him a look over, and then he looked down at my luggage again. “I can help you with that,” he offered, nodding towards my suitcase.

 

Though he seemed friendly enough and it was obvious that he knew Heechul, I didn’t want to risk dealing with him if he turned out to be a not-so-friendly person.

 

I gave him a small smile and pressed the button to open the doors. “I’ve got it.”

 

He nodded as if in understanding, stepping out of the elevator and turning to face me.

 

“Catch you later, Sungmin,” he said, just as the doors close.

 

I frowned. I didn’t introduce myself, and the fact that he already knew who I am made me really uncomfortable.

 

As the elevator reached the thirteenth floor, I stepped off, pulling my phone out of my pocket. Opening up my messages to Heechul, I checked the apartment number again, not remembering what he said was his. It was either 1306 or 1307.

 

Maybe it’s 1316?

 

Looking up from my phone, I paused at the guy passed out on the floor of the hallway. 1306 and 1307 were across from each other, and the guy was leaning against the door to 1306.

 

Please don’t let Heechul’s apartment be 1306.

 

I found the message on my phone and cringed. It’s 1306.

 

Of course it is.

 

I groaned inwardly at my luck and slowly walked to the door, hoping I don’t have to wake the guy up. His legs were sprawled out in front of him, back propped up against Heechul’s door. His chin was tucked to his chest, and he was snoring.

 

“Excuse me,” I said, my voice just above a whisper.

 

He didn’t move.

 

I put my hand on his shoulder to shake him gently. “I need to get into this apartment.” He roused from sleep and then slowly opened his eyes to stare at my face. His bleary eyes met mine, and his eyebrows furrowed as he slowly leaned forward. When he lifted a hand and tried to reach for my face, I immediately tilted backwards, causing his hand to drop. He closed his eyes, falling back asleep against the door.

 

Recalling that Heechul was working overtime so he won’t be back until early morning, I dialed his number to see if this guy was someone I should be concerned about. There was no answer. After a few more failed attempts to reach him, I shoved my phone inside my pocket.

 

I sighed, thinking about what I should do. Staring at the direction of the elevator, I shook my head at the though of going all the way back downstairs to tell the manger. It wasn’t something I feel like doing right now while dragging my suitcases. At least I should put all my stuff inside the apartment before dealing with this guy.

 

Pulling out my phone again to check the code Heechul had sent me, I punched the code into the lock and tried to open the door, but the drunken guy began to fall backwards with every inch the door opened. He groaned, but his eyes didn’t open again. I reached down to grab the drunken guy so I could move him out of the way.

 

“All right,” I said, struggling to pull him away from the center

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter