Misfortune

By My Side

More than a week later, Ji Yong drug himself through the door of his apartment. He was exhausted; they had just returned from promoting in Japan and would have to immediately begin preparations for the new release and another round of performances and promotions in less than two weeks.

As they hadn’t spent a moment alone since that first night, he was beginning to feel a longing for Young Bae’s arms again. However, amazing man that he was, Young Bae had apparently picked up on this feeling, or maybe he had caught Ji Yong staring at him. He had started to make a habit of frequently holding Ji Yong’s hand or resting an arm around him. He had even let Ji Yong kiss his cheek during one of their shows, pretending not to notice him sneaking up until he was already caught.

The other guys had obviously noticed the extra attention Young Bae was showing him, but to their ever-lasting credit, not one of them mentioned it or even looked twice. They had even ignored it when Ji Yong had climbed into Young Bae’s bed in the middle of the night and snuggled up to the sleeping man’s muscular back. Of course, that was hardly a first. Ji Yong was well-known for wanting to hug someone to sleep. Normally though, while touring, he simply invaded Maknae’s bed since they shared a room. Plus, since he had no attraction or romantic feelings for the younger man, Ji Yong reasoned that it was a safer option.

Slowly, he made his way to the shower before dropping carelessly onto his bed, not even bothering with the blankets.

Ji Yong woke suddenly and blinked a few times, as his mind struggled to come to its senses. Why was he awake? It was still dark; he hadn’t been sleeping long. The doorbell buzzed, jarring his brain and body into action. Who would come to his house at such a late hour, unless there was an emergency? Quickly, he scrambled off of the bed, to the door, and stared at the image of his manager.  Had the pictures been published after all?

He opened the door with a bit of reluctance.

“Hyung?”

He moved aside, letting the man in, noticing that he did not remove his shoes and come all the way in; he wouldn’t be staying long.

“Ji Yongie, I need you to stay calm and remember that everyone is okay.”

“…Alright,” he responded hesitantly, fear creeping into his gut.

“There was a car accident.”

“Oh god.” He braced himself on the wall, thinking of a very similar start of conversation about Dae Sung a few years ago.

“He’s okay. He was hit by a drunk driver.”

Ji Yong sank down into a squat and took deep breaths.

“They took him to the hospital, of course. But it’s just a minor shoulder injury and some bumps and bruises. Young Bae was really, really lucky. The other driver-”

“Young Bae!?” Ji Yong leapt to his feet. “My Young Bae?”

“Yes, but he’s fine. No one was seriously injured. They’re releasing him as we speak; he’ll be home in about thirty minutes.”

Ji Yong listened no further to the manager’s nonsense about waiting at home and staying calm. He immediately grabbed his phone and slipped his shoes on.

“Ji Yongie, I know you’re worried, but-”

“Are you driving or am I going alone?”

“You’re not even dressed. There will be reporters everywhere.”

“And it’s important to show them that my clothes are more important than my friend?” His phone rang in the silence that followed. “Hello?”

“You heard?” Choi Seung Hyun asked.

“I’m leaving now. You?” He stared at his manager, unrelenting.

“On my way. So are the dongsangs.”

“See you there.” He hung up and opened the door.

“I’m parked out front.”

“Let’s go.”

Ji Yong arrived at Young Bae’s home first and followed his manager closely as he shouldered his way through reporters.

Amidst the many questions being shouted, about Tae Yang’s well-being, if he was alone when it happened, how GD felt, old questions about Dae Sung’s accident, and the designer or GD’s pajamas, one in particular stood out, the only one he would answer.

“G Dragon-sshi, is it true that Tae Yang-sshi had been drinking?” a reporter called out.

“No,” he bit out the answer, staring directly into the woman’s cold eyes. “Tae Yang would never drink and drive. We only arrived back in Korea from Japan. We all went straight from the airport to our homes.”

“Ji Yong-sshi,” his manager said, ushering him forward before he lost his cool.

He entered the door code and began to pace across the living room. After a few minutes, Dae Sung entered, followed shortly by both Seung Hyun’s.

“He’s really okay?” Maknae asked, the bags under his eyes practically reaching his chin.

“He’s not answering,” Ji Yong mumbled, once again being sent to voicemail.

“His phone is off and he’s asleep,” Top’s manager announced, looking up from his phone. “They’re pulling up in two minutes.”

All four managers left to help make a path through the reporters. Dae Sung let out a whoosh of air and dropped to the sofa, Maknae collapsing beside him. They sat side-by-side whispering too low for Ji Yong to hear, while Seung Ri slipped an arm around his hyung.

Several minutes passed until the door opened again. Two managers entered, followed by Young Bae, and the other three. He was promptly surrounded.

“Are you really okay?” Maknae repeated his earlier question.

“What happened?” asked Top.

“Do you need anything? Some water?” from Dae Sung.

“Should I…should I call your mom?” Ji Yong asked, trying to steady his racing heart and shaky hands.

“Let him sit down,” a manager said loudly.

“I’m really okay,” Young Bae answered. “I can’t use my arm for a week, but it’ll be fine before the next release.”

“Don’t worry about the release,” Ji Yong, Top, and one manager said together.

“Are you sure you’re okay?” Maknae asked again.

“I’m sure.” He patted the youngest’s shoulder. “Water would be great,” he addressed Dae Sung, “thank you.”

“You Bae-ah,” Ji Yong said softly.

Young Bae turned to him and patted his head, then resting his hand on his neck. “I already talked to Mom while I was at the hospital. But will you please answer it when she calls back?”

Ji Yong swallowed a few times, blinking rapidly to hold back tears, and nodded in answer.

“Let her know that you’ll stay here so she doesn’t have to come over.”

“Okay.” He took Young Bae’s phone from his manager and turned it back on.

“Wow! You guys must have really rushed over here,” Young Bae said with a grin.

“Why?” Top asked, looking around.

One by one, they all smiled, each of them was wearing their pajamas. Dae Sung’s bunnies, Top’s fuzzy striped bottoms, Maknae’s tiny, tight shorts and backwards tee, and Ji Yong’s zebra print silk set.

“Classy,” Dae Sung’s manager said dryly. “Those’ll make some interesting pictures.” He sighed. “I’ll call Boss.”

“Obviously, we jumped out of bed and ran straight to Hyung’s side out of concern. Maybe that’ll at least shut up the people always saying we don’t like each other,” Dae Sung commented.

“Nah, they’ll think we were just curious to see him all beat up,” Maknae threw out there with an eye roll.

“Well if everyone’s satisfied their curiosity, I’d like to go to bed,” Young Bae joked, but gestured for the door.

“Alright, alright,” Top grumbled, heading for his shoes, followed by the others except his manager and Ji Yong.

“You can go, Hyung. Sorry for keeping you away from your kids so long.”

The manager bowed slightly and put on his shoes stiffly. “Call if you need anything. And remember Boss canceled practice and wants you all to stay home and rest tomorrow.”

Young Bae’s phone rang and Ji Yong moved to the kitchen to answer it. He took the opportunity to wince and hold his shoulder; the pain medicine was already wearing off. Slowly and painfully, he made his way to the bathroom and the shower. Getting undressed was more challenging than he had anticipated.

Carefully, he removed his hurt arm from first the sling, then his shirt. With some effort and wiggling, he worked his way out of the rest of his clothes one-handed. The water felt good as long as he kept his shoulder turned away. He was glad to finally get off all the stage makeup and goop from his hair. Then, he picked up the shampoo and froze.

“Dammit,” he complained.

“Here,” Ji Yong said softly from the doorway, holding out his hand.

“You’re dressed,” Young Bae pointed out, “in silk.”

Ji Yong hesitated, closing his eyes. After confessing his feelings years ago, Ji Yong had stopped showering with s. Even though, he thought they had already known about his preference for men, saying it aloud and naming names, seemed to draw a line. Many times since they had all, aside from Choi Seung Hyun naturally, undressed in front of him without acting awkward about it. But, showering together was different. They would bump into each other and it lasted long. Also, if he was feeling honest, it was a form of protecting himself. He was afraid of his body’s reaction to bumping into Young Bae. There were so many things his friend overlooked in order to maintain their relationship; could he ignore it still when faced with such obvious proof? Could he pretend like it didn’t matter? Would it be the final straw? Taking a deep breath, Ji Yong opened his eyes.

Young Bae was waiting patiently, watching Ji Yong while he tried to come to a conclusion. He was still holding the closed bottle of shampoo, his other arm drawn up, held protectively close to his body. He really was going to need help.