Decisions

By My Side

Dong Young Bae leaned against the wall beside a downcast Kwon Ji Yong. Lee Seung Hyun sat beside Kang Dae Sung on the small couch. Choi Seung Hyun hunched over on a hard-back chair with his head in his hands. After their scolding at YGE, they had all returned to Young Bae's house.

 

"What do we do?" Top asked quietly without lifting his head.

 

"I'm sorry," Ji Yong said softly and wiped at his wet cheeks.

 

"That's not it." Young Bae blew off his friend's apology as unnecessary, lightly holding the back of Ji Yong's neck. "Boss will explain those pictures; there won't be a scandal."

 

"But what about the future?" Seung Ri asked. "Honestly, it's amazing that's the first time he got caught."

 

"And that reporter will be looking for Hyung now," Dae Sung added.

 

"There's only so many places to meet men here," Ji Yong admitted. "I won't be able to go to any of them anymore." He sighed and shrugged. "I guess it won't be a problem any longer."

 

"You're just going to be lonely?" Top asked, finally looking up from his hands, face full of sympathy.

 

"What choice do I have?"

 

"It's not like you'll really be alone," Seung Ri added loudly. "I mean, you'll still have us. I'll go out and eat with you whenever I can."

 

"Thanks." He smiled smally, not looking directly at the others.

 

They were all quiet for a few minutes before Dae Sung yawned.

 

"You should get going, we have practice in the morning," Young Bae advised.

 

"I'm going to use the bathroom first," Ji Yong said, moving away from the wall.

 

Young Bae saw the others out, and then headed for his best friend in the bathroom. He knocked lightly, hesitated, and then entered when he heard the sniffling. Ji Yong had his back to the door, hunched over the sink, tears streaming down his face.

 

Silently, Young Bae stood behind him, wrapping his arms around him. In truth, he felt partially responsible for his friend's misery. A couple of years ago, Ji Yong had confessed his long-standing feelings for Young Bae; feelings that he couldn't return. All he could do was honor Ji Yong's request to not change their relationship, to comfort him, and stay by his side.

 

"It's my fault," Ji Yong blurted. "I was so stupid! I never should have gone to that damn cafe. Should've just dealt with it."

 

"Ji Yongie, it's not your fault. You didn't do anything wrong; you were just lonely," Young Bae soothed, tightening his arms.

 

"What do I do now? I just wanted- I just want..."

 

"What do you want?"

 

Their eyes met in the mirror for a second before Ji Yong's dropped, unable to hold his friend's gaze. "You," they seemed to say, the yearning obvious on his face.

 

Young Bae nodded, he already knew. And really, he already knew the solution, too.

 

"Come here. When you need, whatever it is that you get from those men, just come here."

 

"Here?" Ji Yong asked, meeting his eyes again.

 

"I'll take care of you."

 

Slowly, Ji Yong turned to face him, his eyes wide and hopeful. "What do you mean?"

 

"Didn't you tell me before that you meet them because you want companionship? You want to be touched and held?"

 

"Yes," it was barely a whisper.

 

"How different can it be to the way we are now? Basically, just longer touches," he slid his thumb softly under Ji Yong's eye, wiping away the remains of his grief, "holding closer." He stepped in closer, so that their bodies were touching. He could feel Ji Yong's breath speeding up. "You get what you want, I'll be fine. And there's no risk of discover, because there's nothing unusual about the two of us being alone together."

 

Ji Yong still looked uncertain, as if he were afraid to believe what he was hearing.

 

"The decision is up to you, Ji Yongie. I just want you to be happy." Young Bae leaned in and pressed his lips gently to his friend's. Pulling back after a second, he held his gaze, then released his hold on the thinner man, stepping back. "I'm always here when you need me, no matter what. Wash your face and come out."

 

Alone again, Ji Yong placed a hand over his racing heart. He turned to wash his face and stared at his reflection. Young Bae, the man he had longed for since they were teenagers, was offering himself to Ji Yong. Perhaps not his heart, but he knew that he already held a large platonic space there.

 

The question that really needed answered was if it was worth it? Were a few months in Young Bae's embrace worth the ache in his heart later, when promotions were ended and the risk of going out lowered? He closed his eyes, remembering the feel of their bodies pressed together, Young Bae's hand cupping his cheek, his soft lips. The answer was yes, always would be.