15장

Legend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jiyong stared as Ara subconsciously smiled at the memory of being in love. He was speechless. How was he supposed to respond? Slowly he opened his mouth, trying to make up a response, “You two sound like…Romeo and Juliet.” Ara nodded, staring up at the stars, wondering if Seojoon still watched over her. Knowing him, he would have completed his punishment centuries before she had. He would be happily married by now, right? Her love for him began to fade as she realized he was now a married man, and she could not disrespect such a pact. Maybe she would see him one day when she finally figured out what she had to do to atone to her sins. But the thought of returning back into that world of perfection…of absolute order…it left a bitter taste in .

For Ara, it was either a life of loneliness on Earth…or a life of loneliness with the Gods.

Ara glanced at Jiyong, her voice soft, “What is it like being human? To be able to be whoever you wish to be?” Jiyong thought about it for a moment. What was it like? His whole life had been about achieving his dreams. That was his one life choice. But what was it like being able to make that choice? He wouldn’t know. It just felt…natural. But lately, his choices were limited. It was other people choosing who they wanted him to be, and other people choosing what they wanted him to do. Was his life is own anymore? Just as confused, Jiyong shrugged, “When I become who I want to be, I’ll let you know.” The question lingered in the air as slight sadness came to both of them as they realized their gloomy realities.

Jiyong bit his lips as he asked, “Have you ever wanted to become human?”
Ara smiled, “What I want does not matter.”

 

 

“The full moon is in three days,” Ara gently said. Jiyong nodded and shrugged as he finished cleaning the last plate from lunch, “I know.” She smiled, swinging her feet as she sat on the couch, “Are you excited?” Jiyong chuckled as she hopped in her seat, thrilled for him. A month of hard work would definitely pay off. He sat beside her, stretching his arms as he yawned, “Excited to witness your magical powers, yes.” Ara smiled and stood, walking around the home with a sigh, “I’ll miss this home.” Jiyong followed her around the house, a sad smile on his face as he wondered what it would be like to forget her.

His whole vacation was spent with her…what would he remember of this month? Roaming around the forest and the home like a lonely, sad man? Would his memories only consist of sitting around the pond and the home? Or would he forget the pond as well? Would he forget the forest? Maybe he would forget this trip altogether? Jiyong sadly smiled, his eyes glued onto her back as she looked over every picture hung on the walls carefully.

“You’re always welcome back.”

Ara looked back at Jiyong, his eyes immediately shifting downwards from embarrassment. He nervously chuckled, “I mean, I’m sure my grandparents would love to see you again.” Ara nodded, her eyes trailing back to the family portrait hanging above the staircase, “Yeah…” Jiyong grabbed Ara’s wrist, and though she was surprised, she remained solid as she was now used to being solid around him. Stopping in the middle of the hall, he spoke weakly, “Can you break a rule for me?” Ara stiffened, her brows furrowing as she turned to face Jiyong, “Pardon?” Jiyong grabbed her hands, eyes staring down as he wondered if he would forget how cold she was. He sighed, “Can’t you just let me remember you? I don’t want to forget, princess. I don’t want to have a hole in my memory because I want to remember the person who’s the whole reason I exist. I want to remember who I spent this month with, and I want to remember you so I can come back for more than the reason of my grandparents.”

Ara could only answer with a sad smile as they both knew the answer to his request.

 

 

Tomorrow was the day.

Jiyong swallowed the lump in his throat as he stood in front of the route into the forest he always took to visit Ara. His steps were as slow as he coul

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter