Chapter One

My Intern

My Intern

            When Xiumin found an ad posted for an assistant position for a local author he thought, yes finally, an actual source of income! Being an art student at the fine arts school down town was expensive and Xiumin was really getting tired of the college diet of nothing but Mac n’ Cheese with a side dish of ramen noodles. This job would put actually meat into his stomach, actual meat that came from an animal and not the fake stuff his school cafeteria offered.

            When Xiumin called the author he expected to at least have to send in a resume but the person he spoke with just said come straight to the loft in which they would do the interview. Xiumin wasted no time in getting dressed in the only suit and tie he owned and headed out the door. Xiumin was thankful that his apartment wasn’t too far away from the location the women he had spoken to on the phone had given him.  The building he got to was very tall, its glass windows shining in the bright sunlight. Stepping inside, he walked straight to the front desk, before asking for Mr. Luhan’s office number. It took only a moment before them to say that he was on the 18th floor, room number eleven. Saying a quick thanks to the receptionist Xiumin headed up to elevator.

My Intern

            He found the office easy enough and just as he opened the door he noticed that the office was surely…unique. The art the adorned the wall had extreme variety with no actual theme pulling together in the room. It looked more like an eccentric collage of pieces rather than a unified theme as he would expect in a traditional office. Xiumin didn’t mind the hodgepodge of pieces though because being an art student he enjoyed variety, it helped inspire the best pieces.

            “Oh there you are!” A female voice said, making Xiumin turn his direction towards a fountain. The girl had long dark brown hair that framed her face and she was dressed in a classic pencil skirt with a white button up dress shirt. She looked very professional.

            “You must be Xiumin, my name’s Hyorin and I’m Luhan’s editor. You’re here for the personal assistant position correct?” She asked before reaching her hand out to shake Xiumin’s in proper greeting fashion.

            “Yes that’s correct, you mentioned it paid well?” Xiumin said following the girl around the fountain the contained many small goldfish in a variety of colors. It was quite beautiful he thought as he walked with Hyorin.

            “Yes it has to…” She said before knocking on a door, before sighing when they stood there for over a minute. Xiumin watched as Hyorin unlocked the door and flipped on a light switch. While the outside of this room was beautiful this room looked like a train wreck. There were books and papers scattered all over the floor while empty coffee cups littered the desk where a head of light copper brown hair could be seen.

            “Luhan!” Hyorin yelled, earning not even a stir from the sleeping man. Hyorin growled as she practically climbed over the mess in the office before shaking the man. “Wake up! The boy for the assistant position is here. Luhan I swear if you mess this up!” She yelled shaking the boy even more, his head swinging from side to side before she dropped him, his head making a thunking sound on the wooden desk.

            “Owwie…You’re so mean to me Hyorin.”  A soft voice said before lifting his head up. He blinked sleepily up at Hyorin before turning his attention to Xiumin. “Oh wow you’re pretty…” He said before stretching out his arms. When the man stood, he was much taller than Xiumin expected from such a soft face. The man nearly tripped and fell on Xiumin when he got to him.

            “Hello! You wanna be my new assistant? My last one was such a party-pooper. You aren’t a party-pooper are you?” Luhan asked, straitening himself up before smiling down at Xiumin. For some reason Xiumin felt like this was a bad idea, but he needed the money. He had a new project in mind that would cost a lot of money, money that his scholarship did not completely cover. So swallowing hard, trying his best to force out a smile Xiumin said,

            “I’m not a…uh party-poorer. I’m looking forward to being your assistant, if you’ll have me of course.”

            “Ohh this one’s got manners, very nice! Okay yea you’re hired, first order of business get rid of Hyorin cause’ she’s scary.” Luhan said before he saw his editor start chasing after him. The raced around the messy room, until Luhan tripped over a book and landed on his face letting out another, owwie.

            Straightening out her attire, Hyorin walked over to Xiumin before narrowing her eyes at the boy. “This is very important so pay attention. Luhan needs to have his manuscript in my hands in three days. He gets distracted very easily, he is basically a child and that’s why the last assistant quit. You however look almost as desperate as I am so I’m not too worried about you quitting. I don’t care what you do, just make sure Luhan gets his work done!”

            Nodding his head he watched as Hyorin sighed before turning to make one last glare at Luhan who was sitting on the floor pulling at his shirt, making curious faces at little spots he found on it.

            “He’s all yours now!” She announced before leaving the office.

            Xiumin looked around the office to see that there were many plaques and trophies adoring the wall. He must really be a great author, Xiumin thought before turning to face his new boss, who was now standing up and taking his shirt up and over his head.

            “W…what are you doing?!” Xiumin asked as he stared in disbelief. Xiumin was once again surprised at the muscle that covered the man with such an innocent looking face.

            Luhan paused, dropping his old shirt to the floor before turning to face Xiumin. “What’s it look like I’m doing, I need a shower!”

            “Well don’t just change in front of your employees, that’s like ual harassment or something.” Xiumin said, not sure if he should cover his eyes or not.

            “No it isn’t, I’m not doing anything I just want a shower. I spilled coffee on me,” Luhan said before picking up his old shirt and rushing towards Xiumin. “See look this is coffee! I can’t walk around with coffee on me now can I?”

            “W…well I guess not but still…” Xiumin tried to say until Xiumin reached into his jeans and pulled out his wallet. Reaching inside Luhan passed off five hundred dollars to Xiumin.

            “Go get me clean clothes, I don’t have any more here. I’m pretty sure there’s a shop that sells clothes around here. Bring me nothing with the color black! Now go go go,” Luhan said placing his hands on Xiumin’s shoulders before pushing the boy out the room.

            Looking at the bills placed in his hands Xiumin sighed before saying, “Just what did I get myself into.”