Chapter Two: New Start

Hot Chocolate

"Aniya.. Jieun.."

"Aniyo?"

"Jjinja aniyo.."

"Araso.. Araso.."

Heeyoung elbowed her friend lightly on her side, her bottom lip jutted out into a pout. Jieun giggled and elbowed Heeyoung back, "I'm just playing with you." Trees and buildings went pass them as they sat comfortably in the bus.

"It's not possible to get a boyfriend that fast. But really.. You look very pretty today." Jieun rolled to her side, with her cheek against the back cushion of the bus seat and smiled. Heeyoung looked at her outfit. It was plain. How she normally dresses. All she had on was a pair of fitted faded jeans, flats and a red balloon-sleeve open-placket top. Heeyoung shook her head. Jieun always said the nicest things to her. "Komawo. You look very pretty as well."

Jieun gave an eye-smile, happy that someone recognized her extra effort before relaxing into her seat. Her white chiffon blouse gathered up at her torso area. Jieun looked at her blouse and started whining. Heeyoung laughed at her friend's childish behaviour. There are only two times Jieun would act like this. One, when she is nervous or embarrassed. Two, when she.. "Heeyoung! Is that it?" Jieun tapped her friend's shoulder excitedly, pointing to the campus ahead.

--------------

The two friends walked down the long pavement heading towards the college, both laughing and exchanging small talk.

"Ayooo... Halmoni just would not leave me alone. She kept asking if I had all my things and papers, and kept checking my hair and attire. I had to repeatedly tell her everything was okay before she let me go."

"At least Halmoni was awake. The twins and my parents were asleep when I left."

Jieun looked at Heeyoung, surprised. "Jjinja? Out of everyone. I thought your parents would be the most excited ones about your first day." Heeyoung softly smiled, "They were.. I told them to stay in bed and sleep. Jaehwa and Jaesun kept them up all..." They jumped at the sudden appearance of a boy. 

Heeyoung looked at boy. Jieun tilted her head in curiousity.

The boy tilted his head as well. Jieun's eyebrows furrowed. *What is he doing?* She tilted her head the other way, the boy followed suit. *He's copying me.* She took a step to the right. He did the same. She showed her toothy smile. He showed his big smile. She placed both hands on her hip. His hands automatically mirrored her action. She puffed air into her cheeks. His cheeks were also filled with air but.. This time. Something was a little different. He had his eyes crossed, which made Jieun burst out laughing.

"Hyunshik!" Jieun straightened up at the voice. "Joesonghabnida.."Another boy, taller than the previous boy, appeared in front of them and bowed, his hand on the previous boy's  back head forcing his head down. Jieun and Heeyoung scrambled into bowing positions as well. "No.. No.. Why are bowing to us?" Heeyoung laughed softly at the flustered boy, "Because you are. It's only polite to do so." The boy rubbed the back of his neck and laughed awkwardly, "It was only right for us to bow since my friend, here." He glared at his friend through gritted teeth. "Startled both of you."

Jieun light-heartedly laughed, "Not at all. Actually, it was quite fun. What your friend did, made my day a whole lot better." Her head curtly nodded at the previous boy, "Thank you." The boy did an exaggerated princely bow. Jieun was caught laughing again. The taller friend relaxed.

"He likes to do these things in the beginning of a new school year. Inviting people into our school in a weird way. I think you are of the first person I have seen to have played along with him." "And for that I thank you." Jieun nodded her head in acknowledgement towards the 'mirror-image' boy as he bowed, one hand on his belly with the other outstretched next to him.

Heeyoung smiled at the scene. "Don't mind if I ask this but. Are you freshmen?" Jieun and Heeyoung nodded at the same time.

The boy laughed at the synchronized answer, "Sorry I did not introduce myself and my friend earlier.." The 'mirror-image' boy gave a lopsided grin and bowed, "Annyeongsaeyo, Hyunshik-imnida." The taller boy bowed after and smiled, "Annyeongsaeyo, Dong.." Heeyoung strained her smile. "..yul-imnida. And we are seniors from the drama department." Jieun smiled along with Heeyoung and bowed, "Annyeongsaeyo. Erm.. May I know where the hall is?" Two arms came up and showed them the direction. "Kamsahabnida." Jieun bowed once again and left with Heeyoung hooked around her arm.

Heeyoung looked back and chuckled, "They look sad. I think they wanted to know your name." Jieun clung onto Heeyoung's arm, "No.. I think they wanted your's." Heeyoung shook her head while her hand went through her camera bag that was slung over her shoulder, taking her video camera out. *That's what good friends do. Compliment each other.* She flipped the screen out, pressed the power button. Her finger hovered over the red dot, facing the lens towards Jieun, her finger descended onto the red dot.

"Oh. The camera is out~"

Jieun sang the last line, bringing her face close to the lens and away. "Annyeong. Annyeong. Guess what?" Jieun released her grip on Heeyoung's arm with peace signs on both hands, a cheeky smile spread across her lips. She waved her hands about, "We made it!" And spun around, "We made it to the Art University we talked about in High School! Exciting, huh?" Jieun could not stop moving. "Heeyoung! You should have videoed what happened earlier! Do you know what happened? Okay. Okay. I will tell you.. Earlier on.. There was this boy who came out like this and.." Heeyoung's eyes softened at the sight, she liked how her two good friends and family was so comfortable with what she liked to do and enthusiastic about it. Ever since she received that camera, she could not stop taking videos. She would video the most random event to an important event. Like today. It was important and she wanted to video it for memories sake and.. Well. Someone.

"Is that the hall?" Heeyoung's hand immediately shifted up, the screen showing her what Jieun was talking about. There. On the building's entrance top. A big sign. Clearly welcoming the freshmen. "Of course it is!" Jieun responded to her own question and chuckled, "The sign says it all doesn't it?" Jieun continued playing with the camera, the lens following wherever Jieun went or pointed at.

Jieun stopped playing with the camera and blinked innocently, "Camera, please."

Heeyoung bit her lip, "Wae?"

"I want to video you."

"You know I don't really like being taken video of.."

"Please.. It's a special day.."

"That's what you always say.."

"We should not be the only ones in your videos though.."

"I'm the voice behind the camera. I'm okay with that."

"Heeyoung.."

"How can I say 'no' when you give me that face?"

"Yay! Komawo-ta!"

Heeyoung shook her head as the camera was slowly being taken away from her. *Jieun. Really. The things you get me to do.* "Smile!" Heeyoung gave a small smile. "Come on! You can do better! It's the first day of college!" Heeyoung shook her head again but this time with a bigger smile on her face.

"It's your first day. Say something nice."

Jieun arm relaxed, "Unnie.." Eunjung walked over, "Annyeong." Heeyoung smiled at her best friend. Eunjung skipped towards Jieun, her chin resting on her shoulder and lifted her arm up. "Continue. Say something nice, Heeyoung." Heeyoung's hand gripped onto the straps of her backpack, her left hand playing with the sling bag's strap.

"Annyeong, Unnie." Eunjung gave her a genuine smile, encouraging her to continue. Heeyoung continued fidgetting with her bag straps. "Say anything you want. Talk about how you feel about being here." Jieun gave Heeyoung a gentle smile. Heeyoung breathed and looked to her side, earnestly thinking about what to say. "I'm amazed how you always end up being the one behind the camera." Eunjung stood up and neaten her outfit. Jieun looked at Heeyoung with soft eyes, "I have my ways. She's always so conscious when placed in front of a camera." Eunjung looked at Heeyoung, letting air out of . "It's for him, after all."

Eunjung watched as Heeyoung's body slowly turning around to face the lens. "I like it. Being here. With Eunjung Unnie and Jieun. It's a good place to be. Jieun pursuing her music. Eunjung, her dance. Me. Film Art. Can't wait for the school year to start. I have a feeling it's going to be good year." Heeyoung paused for awhile, her eyes wandering to the ground. She looked up, the feeling in her eyes changed.

"Komawo."

Jieun pinched her toes. Eunjung coughed and looked away, somehow finding it hard to catch her breath. Heeyoung relaxed her grip on her bags' straps, and walked calmly towards Jieun. "My turn." Requesting for the camera in a soft, light-hearted voice. Jieun slipped the strap of the camera into her hand. "Unnie." Eunjung looked at Heeyoung with a strained smile on her face, "Already?" Eunjung's eyes glanced over Heeyoung's hand and up to the lens again. *She's doing that thing with her hand again.*

"They're finally here. These buggers." Jieun used one hand and brushed her long black hair onto her right shoulder, "Unnie. What are you doing here so early?" Eunjung thanked Jieun in her head, she always had a hard time controlling herself. "Me? It's a secret."

Heeyoung giggled, "You're performing for the opening ceremony." "Yah! How did you find out?" Eunjung playfully glared. "Secret." "Yah.. Come here, you.." Eunjung started chasing after Heeyoung. Heeyoung swiftly passed her video camera and camera bag to Jieun and ran with her backpack on her back. Jieun followed their movement, grinning.

A boy with light brown hair falling over his forehead came out of the hall, and leaned against the wall behind Jieun. "Is that Eunjung?" Jieun unconsciously answered, "Yup." A few seconds later, she realized it was not familiar. She turned her head, her eyes catching the boy behind her. "May I know who you are?" "Her dance partner." Jieun politely nodded and paused the recording, and jogged towards them. They were having a tickling fight. "Unnie. Your dance partner." Her finger pointing to the boy leaning on the wall. "Omo. I need to go. I will see you guys after the performance." "I thought we need to go for our tour straight after!"  "You will be allowed a little break before going!" Jieun and Heeyoung waved to their retreating Unnie. 

---------------

The two girls settled themselves into the chairs that was provided in the hall. "The river was nice."

Heeyoung lips turned up, she took out her DSLR showing Jieun the display screen. "The pictures came out well." Jieun's cheeks burned with a shade of light pink. "You look very pretty." The colour on Jieun's cheeks were a deepened. "Why is it so quiet?" Jieun coughed, her eyes looking at the stage. Heeyoung could not help but laugh.

Ever since Eunjung had started attending classes in the University, Heeyoung had started to seeing less of her which was not necessarily a bad thing since she and Jieun became closer than ever. Her DSLR and video camera used to be filled with Eunjung, Jieun, her family and the scenery. Now it was mostly of Jieun and her siblings, Eunjung was busy with school and her parents were getting busier at work. They even had to send the twins to daycare, which either Heeyoung or her parents will pick them up from.

Jieun coughed again and cleared , "Do you have to pick up the twins today?" *Cute. She still gets embarrassed by the pictures I take of her.* "So is it your day to pick them up?" Heeyoung looked at her Samsung Galaxy S II  screen and sighed, "Yup."

Her friend blinked. Heeyoung moved the screen up, "Umma sent me a text message." She could not help but feel a bit of disappointment when she read the message.

'Heeyounggie~
Congratulations on getting to University!
*silly strings everywhere!*
Mianhae.. Umma and Appa was very tired today..
Forgive us!
Can Umma ask for a favour?
I know it is your first day of art college and
you should be enjoying it..
But could you..

Could you be so kind to pick the twins up today?
Umma has a big meeting this evening and
Appa has to go to Jeju Island to meet with clients.
Don't worry! Appa will be back this weekend!
Umma too..
Umma has to go Busan tomorrow,
Umma's chingu needs Umma to help with her wedding.
Mianhaeyo!!
Saranghaeyo~'

Another tiny digital envelope blinked.

'Heeyounggie~
Umma..
Needs to go by today..
Mianhae :'(
Forgive Umma!
Saranghae~'

Jieun's eyes swept over the words, "Hey. You can come over if you want..." "No, but thank you. The twins need to sleep early. And your parents are coming home early today." Jieun took in breath, "Yes, but you could..." "It's fine. The twins will be noisy anyway. Spend time with your parents.. They seldom come home early." Lights dimmed, and music was coming from the stage. Heeyoung smiled at Jieun and looked at the stage.

The opening ceremony was going to start.

But.

For some reason.

Heeyoung did not feel as excited as before.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello! Kyaa >.< I have not updated in ages! Thank you for waiting so patiently for this chapter.. I hope you enjoy it :3 I re-wrote it many times.. Going crazy trying to make it enjoyable for you guys to read! My second chapter! *cross fingers* I hope its alright! I will work hard! Thank you! Thank you for reading :)

P.S. Below this is some words are used in romanization from Korean.. Just in case you don't know some of the words I used.. Its from what I know and found out.. So... Sorry if it is wrong!

Korean Vocab:
Aniya/Aniyo- No (both informal)
Jjinja- Really? (informal)
Araso- I got it/ I understand
Kamsahabnida/Komawo/Komawo-ta- Thank you (formal/informal)
Halmoni- Grandmother
Joesonghabnida/Mianhae/Mianhaeyo- Sorry (formal/informal)
Annyeongsaeyo/Annyeong- Hello (formal/informal)
______-imnida- when you are introducing yourself to someone (formal way)
Unnie- An older girl/older sister (for females)
Omo- just an expression in Korea
Appa/Umma-Father/Mother
Chingu- friend
Saranghaeyo/Saranghae- I love you