Chapter Six: The Third

Hot Chocolate

Jieun and Heeyoung walked along the school’s pavement path, side by side. “Jieun!” A bunch of kids further up the walkway screamed out. "Oh. Sorry, Heeyoung! Meet at the gate after school?"Jieun rubbed her gloved hands in a pleading manner. Heeyoung nodded and hugged Jieun, "Have a good day.." "You too.. Fighting!" Heeyoung pumped her fist too, "Fighting!"

Heeyoung steadied her bag on shoulders, carefully securing her backpack and camera bag on her. She pulled her tuke down lower, before proceeding on her way to her department building. Feeling something at the bottom of her shoe, uncomfortable with the awkward unevenness of her feet; her eyes strayed down to her shoe. *What on earth is stuck…* Her head hit something soft yet hard. The feeling familiar. She looked up.

A boy was staring at her, his eyes unblinking. Heeyoung smiled, “Sorry, I did not mean to be in your way.” The boy continued to look at her. The girl’s eyebrows furrowed at the tense stare coming from the stranger. She stepped out of the way, and continued her previous action. *What is.. Oh my gosh. Gum?* She looked around for something to get the sticky mess off the sole of her shoe. Tissue appeared in front of her. Her eyes shifted up, “Oh. Thank you.” *He’s still here.* Her concentration was back on her shoe, using the tissue she was able to get the gum off her shoe. *Yay.* Both her feet were back on the cold ground, about to continue her journey to her class. *Oh. He has not moved.* “Thank you.” She bowed in an awkward manner to the boy, sidestepping him and walking to her school. She looked back to see if he had moved, the boy was still at the same spot looking at her. *Awkward. Why does he keep looking at me? Oh wells. Today is the deadline for our last project before exams. Fighitng*

 Her department was pretty far away compared to Jieun's, and sometimes that frustrated her when she was tired. The walk was long and it was cold. Finally after passing three buildings and going through the canteen, she made it to her department. *Now. Just the stairs.* Walked up three flights before finally arriving to her designated room. *When it warms up. It is going to be better.* Once she reached, a group of students were scattered all over the floor in front of the classroom. *The professor is probably still not here.*

She slipped down next to a girl student who had her headphones on, and her eyes glued crazy on her laptop screen. Heeyoung was about to pull out her laptop too when a voice interrupted her. “Hey. I have seen you before. Are you in this class too?” She looked up to be greeted by a friendly face. She nodded and continued to pull out her laptop. “Whatcha’ working on?” The friendly face got up from their seat and sat next to her. “Just some videos of my own.” “Oh. That’s cool! My stupid friend, there, sitting next to you is playing games. Urgh. Every time! Whenever there is free time, she is off playing her games and all, leaving me to fend for myself.” Heeyoung giggled. It was interesting how this person just started talking to her, and became so comfortable and familiar with her. “What’s your name?” “Heeyoung. Nam Heeyoung.” The person held out a hand, “Lee Chanhee. You can call me Chunji, it’s my nickname.” She slipped her hand into his, and shook. “Man. You know how nervous I was? I never thought I would be able to make another friend.” Heeyoung giggled at the expatriated look on the boy’s face, “You did not seem all that nervous though.” “That’s cause I am awesome at acting! Oh and don’t bother being formal with me. Come on! We’re friends now, aren’t we?” The girl smiled and nodded. She lifted her hand to neaten her bangs.

“I like your hair.”

She looked to her left to see the girl had her headphones down and around her neck. “Finally! I swear sometimes Eunji! I can’t stand how you are always on that stupid game!” The said girl stuck her tongue out at the boy, “You’re so not my mother so shove off. And for your information, League of Legends is not just some stupid game. It is the game.” A hitch went up Heeyoung’s throat. He used to play that. Her head immediately flung to the side. In the midst of Chunji and Eunji's arguing, the girl sniffed. The argument faltered. "Heeyoung? You alright?" Her head nodded, forcing herself to swallow her tears.

"Hee..."

"It's nothing. I might be catching the flu."

"Oh boy. Then you better stay away from me."

"Yah! Eunji! Can you not be so rude?" Chunji rolled his eyes, before bringing tissue out from his bag.

"Here you go. Sorry for this rude girl. Anyways.. You sure you are alright?"

"Stop asking her. You are like an annoying mother."

"Stop saying that!"

"Mother."

"Urgh I swear, Eunji! I can just strangle you!"

Heeyoung's giggle stopped the pair from going after each other. "You know. You have a cute laugh for a quiet girl." Chunji rolled his eyes, "So for a quiet girl she can't have a cute laugh?" "No, that's not what I meant." "Ya, ya. I know.. You are just jealous because you have an obnoxious laugh." "Lee Chanhee.." Eunji went after the boy's throat. "Oh right. Heeyoung meet Jung Eunji. Eunji meet Nam Heeyoung." The girl nodded her head in acknowledgement before trying to get at the boy's throat, Chunji calmly holding her weight off him.

All the students that were originally sitting on the floor got up. "Oh. The prof is here. We better get going. Eunji, stop it already!" Chunji shoved the girl off him. "She never knows when to stop. Go grab your things for goodness sake's! Everyone is going in already!" Mocking hands came up, Eunji distorting her face to suit the boy's. "Urgh. Whatever. Come on, Heeyoung. Let's leave this miserable girl here." Heeyoung was grabbed by the arm, brought along with the motion of Chunji's feet; her other arm hugging her laptop and her eyes looking back at the angry girl left behind.

"Don't worry about her. She is always acting like such a kid." Heeyoung lips titled up to the side, "The both of you get along well." Chunji settled into the auditorium chair, "I guess. We have known each other since High School. We knew of each other, and occassionally talk but didn't get to know much of each other until I found out she was taking the same course as me." "Oh?" "Ya. That's how we started to get closer. That brat. Always on her damn laptop." "Excuse me. Talk nicer about me." The mid haired girl sat next to Heeyoung. "Nice to meet ya. I'm Eunji, and don't believe everything that comes out of that boy's mouth. He is not exactly right about everything about me." Heeyoung smiled. How great is today? She made two friends from her class without even trying.

The mid haired girl leaned over and across the table, "I heard our next project is a group one. Unlike the previous individual ones." Heeyoung felt a bump on her shoulder to her right. "Isn't that great? We have the three of us. Me, you and Eunji. We just have to see how many is required in the group first though."

"Alright. Alright guys! Settle! I expect the latest project to be in my dropbox by the end of today and the previous project, for those idiots who have not handed it in, to be in my dropbox latest by twelve sharp."

Groans chorused through the students.

"Enough from you lot. Alright. We have to start on the next project today, or else we would not have enough time for your written exmas."

Another chorus of groans.

"Yes. I know. I understand how you feel, I had to go through the same thing when I was a freshman. It would be fun, I promise. This project requires all of you to go about school in groups of three..."

Chunji nudged Heeyoung excitedly, a big smile drawn across his face.

"...and I expect you guys to write your groups on this piece of paper before heading out. Yes, you can leave your bags here. Just remember to bring your camera and video camera. Our school is really beautiful, so this would be a relatively easy one. The theme is "My School." Shocker, eh? Oh. Heads up, scholarship students! Since you are in our school through a scholarship, you have to do extra well and keep your grades up. It might be hard, but worth it, trust me. Let's go!"

--------------

 Five months of school passed in a blink of an eye. Jieun and Heeyoung got into the regular routine of a college student, they were enjoying their courses more than they thought and met up regularly to do their projects together.

A burst of frustration interrupted the silence of the library.

"Aish! Jjinja! I really can't..."

"Shhh... Jieun.."

Jieun froze from messing up her hair, bowing quickly to the surrounding students. "Jieun-ah.." Jieun placed her cheek on the open music book, "The more I read, the more I get confused. Nal dowa." Heeyoung sympathetically sighed, "Jieun.." "Araso.. Naneun pabo.." Heeyoung started packing her stuff, took Jieun by the arm, at the same time closing the music book. "Kaja.."

"Heeyoung.. I really need to finish my research.." Heeyoung continued walking, dragging Jieun by the arm. "A little break won't kill you." "You're a scholarship student too.. Why are you always so calm?" Heeyoung stopped in front of the entrance and turned to Jieun to fix her jacket, "When you enjoy the assignment or project, that is when you do the best."

A rush of cold air surprised the two, but they continued walking, prepared in their warm clothing. "Jieun! Heeyoung!" Jang Wooyoung. A freshman like them and in the dance department with Eunjung. Eunjung was ecstatic when she saw him and did not waste a second to introduce them to her old dance friend. They clicked straightaway, especially with Jieun.

Wooyoung waved from his usual waiting spot, the same place where he always waited since they met. The bench under the big shaded tree, across the vending machine near the library. This time with Eunjung with him. "Young-ee.." Heeyoung laughed, "Young-ah.." The nicknames came about when Wooyoung was playing around with both Jieun's and Heeyoung's name. Heeyoung and Wooyoung, both end with 'young'. When he was thinking about a different way of calling Heeyoung, 'Young-ee' came out and it somehow stuck.

She nodded her head to her stressed friend. "Wae?" Jieun slammed her face into Heeyoung's long jacket, she and Wooyoung laughed. Eunjung stayed still on the bench laughing along with Wooyoung and Heeyoung. One of most shocking thing to Eunjung, was that Wooyoung and Heeyoung got along really well. For a girl whom is closed off to the people she does not know, Jieun; a special case, she was able to warm up to the boy quite quickly. Eunjung's two good friends were not even close to being considered as friends to Heeyoung, and they met earlier than Wooyoung. Eunjung had thought about it.

Maybe it was the age difference? But it could not be. Because. Heeyoung was purposely keeping her distance away from them, unless Eunjung was alone, she would hang out.

"She is stressing out about her project again, isn't she?" Eunjung questioned. "This is like her second breakdown." Wooyoung chuckled, shifting over, letting the two girls sit. "Why shouldn't I? I can't afford to let my grades drop. Unlike you. Rich boy." Wooyoung playfully snarled, "Yah! I work hard too, okay?" Heeyoung left her backpack and camera bag on the bench, "I'll go get some drinks. Young-ah, Unnie, take care of her." The two dancers nodded.

"So what is it this time?" Eunjung sunk into the comfort of her jacket. "Just another big project." Wooyoung looked at Jieun, "Wanna talk about it?" Jieun had her legs stuck together, tapping her toes in rhythm to an unknown tune. "Molla.." "Come on.. You might feel better after talking." Jieun took out a piece of paper from her bag, containing details about her project, passing it Wooyoung to let him read.

Heeyoung rubbed her hands together, and blowing hot air into them as she walked to the vending machine. "How much longer are you going to act like you don't know me?" Heeyoung jumped and held her chest from the fright, "Doojoon-ssi.." The older boy pushed himself off the wall, and pulled the black tuke down around his ears. "You always come to see Eunjung, but once you see me you bail." Heeyoung looked at Doojoon, with her brown eyes. Doojoon inwardly frowned, *They look empty.*

"I'm... I'm trying to figure out how I feel about this."

Doojoon stepped back with his hands tucked into his jean pockets, "I'm not expecting anything big.." Heeyoung tried her best to walk casually towards the vending machine, only a few more steps. "I'm still the same person.." Heeyoung leaned her whole weight on her hand which was supported by the vending machine.

Memories, she could not decide if they were good or bad, of her brother came rushing into the screen of her brain. Her childhood memories. Following her brother to the market. Playing catching with him and his best friend. Jumping on her brother's back. Screaming for her brother to save her from his best friend. Enjoying the first snow. Hugs. Presents. Playgrounds.

"You were his best friend.."

He took off the black tuke hat, "I had no rights to leave. I have told yo... I know it was wrong of me to leave at that time. But. But my parents. They had planned to move months ago and the plan had only initiated then, I had to go..." "You could've chosen to stay. You could've chosen to come back." Heeyoung slipped the coins into the machine. "I did not know his condition was that bad. I promised. I know you remember my promise. 'I would come back and visit as soon as I get settled at the new place.' I promised.. I did not want to go against my parents. At that time, his condition was not severe enough to convince my parents to let me stay..." Heeyoung pressed for the hot tea.

"He needed you."

"I know.. I came back often, didn't I?!"

Heeyoung stiffened at Doojoon's raised voice. Doojoon eyes widened, shocked at his own sudden burst. He knew. He felt guilty about leaving his best friend and his best friend's sister at the crucial moment. This was just misplaced anger. "I'm sorry.. I didn't mean.." "It's fine." Heeyoung replied stiffly, taking the hot tea and pressing another button for milk coffee. "I came back as often as I could.. I'm sorry. I'm sorry I left you alone. I'm sorry I left him alone. I have been repenting.. But. The guilt won't go away, the sadness doesn't disappear. I miss him more than ever whenever I repent. I miss you.. I'm sorry I did not come back after that.. I..." Heeyoung bumped her head against his chest. Doojoon stopped rambling, he tasted something salty on his lips. "Don't cry. Don't cry. Please. Please don't cry."

Heeyoung lifted her eyes from the ground and whispered softly, "I saw Doojoon cry today." A soft laugh lifted from her lips. She stepped away from him and walked to her friends, giving them their drinks. Doojoon hid his face into his jacket, eyes looking at Heeyoung. Heeyoung gave her friends a small smile, softly laughing at something the boy had said, she mumbled something to the three of them, they all nodded in return. The next moment, Heeyoung was jogging back to Doojoon. She went up to the vending machine, and pressed another button.

"He told me to stay there.. He kept saying.. He kept saying everything would be alright, that he would be still be there by the time I came back. I was convinced..." Heeyoung shoved a drink in front of his face, "That's all I needed to hear." Heeyoung had turned her back to him, just when she was about to walk away, something warm and soft was placed on her head and pulled down to her ears. "This was his favourite tuke hat, and I know it is special to you. You should have it back." Soft curves went up on her lips. She pulled the tuke off her head and looked back at the older boy, "I saw Doojoon cry today." She tiptoed and pulled the hat over his head.

"Now those ears won't drop off, will they?"

---------------

Heeyoung and Jieun followed Wooyoung and Eunjung from behind. "Who were talking to?" She looked at Jieun and shrugged. Eunjung looked back for a second. *How does she know Doojoon?* After having the thought linger in her mind, she continued surging ahead with Wooyoung. "Here we are." He opened the door to a big empty dance studio, turning on the lights.

Beige wooden planks were neatly laid throughout the dance floor, surrounded by mirrors and dark brown polished ballet bars, with a piano at the corner and stereo system at the other corner.

Wooyoung looked back, "No one usually uses this studio after hours because its the furthest and most isolated." The four of them placed their bags to the side and sat in the middle of the room. "I guess.. Going through the back door stairs and up four flights. I think I can understand why no one would want to come here. It's so beautiful though." Eunjung leaned back on her hands, "It's my favourite studio. This idiot stole it from me." Her leg extended and kicked Wooyoung on the calf. "Noona!" 

Heeyoung sipped her drink, eyes roaming around the studio. "Dance. I have never actually seen you dance before, Wooyoung." "Jieun, don't worry. It's nothing special. You are not missing out on much." Wooyoung shoved the older girl, "Rude." Jieun giggled, sitting such her legs make a 'M'. "Then sing. I have never actually heard you sing before." Jieun smiled widely at Wooyoung's response, "Deal."

Heeyoung reached for her video camera and started to video them. "Does she always video?" "Mem-o-ries. She says." Jieun looked at the lens and waved, shielding . "That's Wooyoung, Jang Wooyoung. Our new friend. He is in the dance department with Eunjung." The camera pointed to a waving Eunjung before returning to the duo on the "stage". Base beats bounced off the mirrors. Wooyoung started with a wave with his arms, slowly breaking into the rhythm of the song then he started to dance. Really dance. The movements his body and his arms made it look like he had no bones, and that the music was coursing through his body.

Eunjung leaned over to whisper into Heeyoung's ear, "He is trying so hard. I think he is trying to impress Jieun."

Beads of sweat fell from Wooyoung's forehead after a minute of dancing, "Impressed? Your turn." The lens shifted to the standing Jieun.

"How do you know?" Heeyoung whispered back.

"I just do."

"Officially missing you by Tamia. Ooo~ All I hear is raindrops~ Falling off the rooftop~ Oo~" Heeyoung rested her elbows on her knees, watching Jieun with her eyes and not through the screen of the video camera.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello! :3 I hope you enjoyed reading this chapter! More and more exciting chapters to come! I would try my best to keep the updates regular.. For now I hope you stick with me throughout until the story is done! I hope you love ths story as much as I do! Please comment and subscribe! Thank youuuuuuuu ~

Korean Vocab:

Nal dowa - Help me

Naneun pabo - I'm stupid

Kaja - Let's go