Chapter Five: Special Birthday Part 2

Hot Chocolate

Heeyoung held her phone to her ear, “Araso, Appa.” *They’re home.* She ended the call, her eyes softening at the tired twins, “Jaesun.. Jaehwa.. Stay awake, okay?”

Both twins sat up, blinking their sleepy eyes at her. The surprise would be ruined if they fall asleep now.  She shook them once more, “Let’s take a cab, alright?” Jaehwa had a sleepy smile on his face when he heard the word ‘cab’. Heeyoung waved a cab down, and carried her siblings into the cab. Her tongue was fluid as she spoke their address to the taxi driver.

“Both of you have to stay awake if you want to see your present from me.” Jaehwa perked up when he heard about his present, while Jaesun continuously rubbed her eyes.

Heeyoung had her hand on Jaesun’s, and shook her head.

After about thirty more minutes of driving, the car finally stopped in front of their house. “We’re here. Kamsahabnida, Ahjussi.” She paid the man and left the cab with her siblings by her side.

Jaehwa started jumping up and down, “Noona! Noona! I want to open the door!” Heeyoung passed him the keys with a gentle gaze. She loved her siblings a lot, and would do anything if it kept that smile on their faces. She noticed the twin sister was not running after the brother like she normally would. Heeyoung looked to her side, noticing Jaesun’s big bambi eyes were out. Heeyoung knew what that meant. The little girl was scooped off the ground.

Jaehwa shouted in shock when he opened the door. “HAPPY BIRTHDAY!” Their parents jumped out from behind the wall dividing the door way and the living room. “Umma! Appa! You’re home!” Jaehwa jumped into their mother’s open arms.

Jaesun had her head resting on Heeyoung’s shoulder as they approached the door, she closed and open her sleepy eyes. “Umma. Appa.” Their father walked up to her, “Had a lot of fun, didn’t ya?” “Neh..”

Their father lifted the weight off Heeyoung, he mouthed ‘thank you’ as he took the birthday girl into the house. Heeyoung kicked off her shoes, and placed them into the shoe cabinet, dropping her backpack off her back but carrying her camera, she slowly followed behind her parents. She heard chattering coming from the living room as her parents brought the birthday twins into the living room.

*Strange.* Heeyoung slipped into her indoor slippers, and walked towards the living room. There were other people in the room.

A little tingle played across her lips, her ends threatening to tip up high. “Doesn’t Oppa deserve a hug?” The older male held his arms out, waiting expectantly for a hug from a certain someone. However, two hyper kids occupied them.

“Woohyun Oppa!” “Hyung!”

Woohyun chuckled and hugged the birthday twins. “Happy Birthday.” He knocked his head against Jaehwa’s, and kissed Jaesun’s cheek. Jaesun's cheeks turned very significantly red. Heeyoung dropped her bag on the couch, and instinctively took out her video camera to video the moment. Woohyun released the twins, grinned that grin Heeyoung loved to see so much when she was younger.

Rush of air and her feet was off the ground. He twirled her around, causing squeals from the girl in his arms. Nam Woohyun, Heeyoung’s favourite cousin, childhood friend and best friend. She was squished into a hug, so tight that she almost could not breathe. One pair of lips landed on her forehead, a warm sensation was left when those lips lifted. “That is how much I missed you, my little gangaji(puppy)..” That was a nickname he had given her when she was younger. Back then when they were younger, he used to always say “You are as cute as a puppy!” Brown hair and happy, Heeyoung spun around to be pleased with the sight of the birthday twins jumping up and down at the sight of their cake and presents around the table legs. Woohyun had his arms wrapped around her waist with his chin on her shoulder, “Don’t need to worry this year. They always make it up to those guys.”

--------

The hour hand went whizzing pass. Laughter, chatter filled the empty places of the house. The twins had ripped open, maybe just Jaehwa, their presents. Excitement was written all over Jaehwa’s face as he ran around the house with his new army suit and ‘shot’ everyone down.

“Bang! Bang! Bang!” Each time you were ‘shot’, you had to ‘die’. It was kind of a thing that Jaehwa made up along the way as he played ‘soldier’. “No! No! Halmoni! You are supposed to go like this!” Jaehwa gave an example by doing an exaggerated dying scene, which made laughter bubble up everyone’s throats.

Heeyoung smiled softly at how much the twins were having fun, it had been awhile since they spent time as family like this. Someone crept up from behind her and pressed her finger down on the red dot. Heeyoung looked over her shoulder with an unhappy look imprinted on her face, “Hey… Oppa?” Woohyun chuckled, “Come on. Have some fun. You always video too much and never enjoy yourself.” “I am enjoying myself..” Woohyun tapped her nose, “No, you’re not. My little gangaji should go talk to halmoni.” Her eyes blinked at the boy, “Or you could just stay here with me.” The thing about Heeyoung was. She did not like to talk to the other relatives, except Woohyun of course, because they would always bring up a certain someone in their conversations, and she would end up being in a foul mood afterwards. It never failed to happen every single time. They settled into the coach. Checking the time once more, he looked to the house clock. “Do you have somewhere you need to be Oppa?” The latter shook his head, “No. No. Just checking the time.” “How’s college life treating you so far?” Tingle of the lips, a smile spread onto her lips. “Very well. I really like it.” A low chuckled sounded, “I’m guessing you really did pick the right Art College to go to.” She nodded. Woohyun reached out brushing her hair behind her ear. Nothing changed. There was still that sadness in her eyes. Probably it would never disappear, but he thought it would at least lighten. Unfortunately, it did not. “Hey. I will visit you some time at the College, and you have to give me a personal tour, alright?” Heeyoung agreed, her fingers doing that thing that she does when she tried to hold in those feelings of hers.

"Gangaji.. You have to stop doing that. Your hand is going to have an ugly imprint because of that." Heeyoung fisted her hands, unknowingly she was doing it again. It had been a habit not from young, but ever since that happened. It was an unconscious habit. It was an unconscious thing for her to do in order to hold in those tears that always pour. "Everyone! Dinner is ready!" Woohyun hugged her around the shoulders, kissing her on her temple and leaned his forehead where his lips were. Sighing, "Let's get some food into our bellies. I'm starving." "You go on first. I need to put my things into my room." Woohyun frowned, "Ganga..." "Go on, oppa. I will be with you when I put my things away."

The older boy's shoulders deflated in defeat, "Alright. But don't take too long." She nodded hurriedly, grabbing her things in a sloppy manner and pushing her body up the stairs. Once her feet hit her room floor, she collapsed. Why? No one talked about her brother this time, but it still is happening. Her back pushed up against her bookshelf, her shoulders shaking, her eyes stinging, quivering.

Just the thought of him around the relatives got her emotions stirring. There were too many memories. Too many memories with him and everyone. There were just too many for her to forget so easily. It had been her and him for the longest time, their parents away at work and busy. It was always him that picked her up at school. It was always him that brought her to the family events. It was always him that bandaged her up when she fell. It was always him that made sure they caught the morning sun for her birthday. It was always him. It always had been him, looking after her, being there for her, making her laugh. It always had been him to put a smile on her face and laugh wrinkles at the corner of her eyes. It had always been him. She knew it had been four years since that happened, but it did not mean it was any easier to think about him. It was definitely not any easier to control herself.

A figure sat in front of her, a plate of food in her vision once her head raised to see who it was. "You know, Gangaji? I always hated family gatherings. Until you came along, I didn't hate them as much anymore." Her sleeved arm raised to wipe away the dripping snot, "Me?" "Uhuh. I didn't like any of the cousins. Yes, guilty as charged, I didn't like your brother very much." Woohyun stuffed a mouthful of mash potatoes into his mouth. "Wae?" "Because he was annoying and a brat. But that all changed once you came into the picture." Heeyoung smiled. Somehow the tears seemed to stop, even though they were talking about her brother. Maybe it was just the way Wooyoung was talking about him. It was fond memories, not sad memories. "Ya. That brat used to take my things without my permission and play with them. One time, he took my favourite action figure and I got so mad! I almost punched him when he snatched it away from me! Urgh.. That boy sometimes made my head explode." Laughter filled the small space, "I didn't know oppa was like that!" "Ya! You don't know a lot of things about your brother before you came! Man.. That boy. If I could just punch him once, I would be so happy." Woohyun said shaking his head. Heeyoung burst out into more laughter. The anger in his voice was vibrating off each of his words. "Oppa! Why didn't you?" Woohyun softened seeing her smile and hearing her laughter, "Because of you."

Heeyoung's laughter subsided at his words. "I didn't want my favourite cousin hating me for hitting her favourite person in the world." A soft curve grew on her lips. Woohyun smiled, he had not seen that smile in awhile. "Come on. Let's go downstairs. Your mother is going to worry." He stood up, holding his hand out for his little cousin to use to pull herself off the ground. "Komawo, oppa." Arms encircled the boy's waist. "Komawo."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello my lovely readers!! I am so so so so so so so sorry for the super duper long hiatus! Alot of things have happened since I was last on this site.. And seeing this one person's comment about how they wanted me to update made me start doing this again! Originally staying in Singapore, now moved all the way to Canada! A really really big move, plus a lot of personal things happened! Hahaha! Alright :) Enough about me ^^ I am glad I am getting into this again! I hope you enjoy the many more chapters I will be posting from now on ~ Thank you for sticking with me loyal subscribers and not unsubscribing! Thank you!!!!!