Chapter One: Gone

Hot Chocolate

She laid her head on her arm, her arm on the bed. She looked at him and smiled. "Oppa.." She yawned, "Then you know what happened?" He coughed, his voice croaked. "What happened?" The corner of her lips lowered, her body straightened. "Stay." Her frown deepened, "Oppa..." He gave her weak smile, "I'm fine, cutie."

She inwardly sighed and laid her head back down on her arm. "Do me a favour?" She sat up instantly. "Come and lie down next to me." "But.. Oppa.." "Just come." He shifted his body to the side and made room for her. She hugged his arm, making circles with her forefinger on his arm. She blinked a few times, trying to get rid of the sleepiness. "Then.." opened into another yawn, "Then she..." She opened wide for another big yawn her hand hovering over, "Mianhae.." He shook his head, "If you are tired, rest your eyes a little. It will help." "A.. A.. Ani. I'm not ti.. tired." She laid there, nodding off a little. She thought, that maybe if she asked her brother to tell her one of his famous stories might just keep her up.

"Oppa. Tell me that story." He gave her a soft smile, "Okay. I was walking back home from school. I took.. She's asleep.." 

He gently sweeped her hair to the side.

He gazed at her peaceful sleeping face. No worry written on it. No sadness. Nothing. It was nice.

After a few minutes, it struck him. 

His Last Day. He just knew it.

He would never be able to see her face again. When she laughs, he would not be able to laugh with her. When she smiles, he would not be able to make her smile wider. When she crys, he would not be able to hug her. When it is Christmas, he would not be able to make hot chocolate for her in the morning. When it is her birthday, he would not be able to go to the beach with her and the family to watch the sunset. When she graduates Middle School, he would not be able to be at the ceromony. When she goes to High School, he would not be able to see her in her new school uniform. He would not be able to see her cute scrunched up face when he teases her.

No more of that. He would not be able to see any of her expressions. He would not be able to see her anymore. It would not be long now. That he would have to go. Not long now.

He laid in the bed, gazing at her lovingly. She was curled up against him, her face peaceful. The back of his fingers carressed her cheek. His lips met her forehead, his lips lingered there for a few seconds. A tear falls on the white bed sheet, making a wet mark.

One last time. He wanted to hear her voice. It will be comforting, on his way to go. His last moment to be strong for her, even though he felt so weak. After looking at her for an hour, he finally got what he wanted. She mumbled almost inaudibly, "oppa". He closed his eyes. He is going to live on that word.

His eyelids got heavier and heavier, it was hard for him to make them stay open. He forced them open. He was terrified of facing the fact that he had to leave her and them. It was his worst nightmare. He looked at the clock, it had only been three minutes of trying to keep his eyes open but it felt like three hours. He could not take it, it was beating him. He was exhausted. His vision was slowly fading into darknees, his breathing slowed, his heartbeat slowed. A long defeaning beep echoed through the walls of the room.

Doctors and Nurses rushed in. The girl was still lying in the boy's arms, like he was alive. She was oblivious to the fact something terrible just happened. It was honestly an innocent sight.

One of the nurses started to tear, the doctor sighed and squeezed her shoulder. She swallowed, she was in charge of looking after the girl. Her parents requested so. Her steps were slow, unsteady. A long breath of air entered her lungs. She shook the girl awake.The girl sleepily rubbed her eyes, letting them get adjusted to the light flowing in. Her ears registers the sound. Her breathing stops. The nurse was about to help the girl off the bed, but she pushes the nurse's hand before she could do so.

She stares at the boy. Kisses his cheek. And walks out. Nothing. No tears. No words. No uneven breathing. Just a kiss and she was out of the door.

The nurse looked at the doctor. He signals her to give the girl time. They walk towards the boy and did what was necessary.

-------------

Three days later. People were in black. No vibrant colours. Just black. The girl. She was not looking at the grave. Her eyes were off somewhere. She did not change. In jogging pants and a pull-over hoodie. The same clothes she wore three days ago. Her parents looks at her, worry written across their faces. Her little siblings staring at the grave, not quite grasping the situation.

It ends. They are now going back home. Her siblings asleep. The car in total silence. She walks into her room and shuts the door. They were home now. But. It did not feel like home. He was not here. She was not herself.

She comes out minutes later. Wearing a different set of clothes, this brought her parents' hopes up. Soon enough, it went crashing down again with her words. "I am going to see oppa. I haven't been to the hospital in days." In a slow jog, she was out of the house and jogging towards the bus stop. Her mother places her hand over , muffling her cry. Her father rushes out, catching her before she reaches the bus stop.

He grabs her wrist, "Dear, stop. Don't go." She looks at her father, "Wae? Oppa is there. Waiting for me to see him." His heart clenched, "Ani. Oppa is not there." He tried to keep his voice as stable as possible. She looks at her father with her eyebrows furrowed, her wrist slides off his grasp. "W..What do..do..do you mean h..he..he i..is no..not there?" The man's eyes started to fill up with salt water, "Dear, you just attended your brother's funeral." Her whole body shakes, "Ani." His heart ripped bit by bit, seeing his daughter in this state made him even more depressed. "Dear. Your.. brother... He..he..he.. i..is" Her head starts moving left and right in vigorous manner, "Ani. Ani. Ani. Ani. Andwae!! You're wrong! Ani. Ani. Ani. Ani. Ani. Op...Op...Oppa is still alive. O...Oppa. O...Oppa." She takes a breath in, then out. She knew. She knew. But. She did not want believe it. How. How could...

"Oppa is still alive."  

Her knees give way and makes contact with the ground. Her hands on her ears, she repeats the line over and over again. Her cry getting louder. Her father wanted to shout at her. She was not the only one hurt in the family. He was, too, deeply hurt by the loss. His son. His first child. He paused, he could not do that to his daughter, she was hurt, a part of her was dead. She was not strong like him and his wife. Her whole life, nothing bad ever happened to her. Then, suddenly her brother became really sick and died. He had to be understanding. The man knelt down and hugged the girl, her whole body went limp. From that one simple gesture, she accepted. One breath in. 

"Oppa. He. He really is gone, huh?"

And out. She starts crying. He hugs her tighter, hiding the fact that he wanted to cry too. He shifts his body away from the hug, his hands on her shoulders so she would not fall over. "Heeyoung. Are you..." His words slow to come to his lips. The girl looks at the man, her father, with eyes filled with so much sorrow, tears b at her eyes, the man's heart cringed. "I will be... Okay. I miss oppa that's all. Ha. Hah. Komawo, appa."  Her lips tingle into a small smile as she brings her back of her hands to wipe her tears away, she smiles even wider. 

He held her hand, gave it a small squeeze before walking back to the house. Her eyes were sad, staring at the back of her father. *Oppa. I miss you.*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello :) Heheh I hoped you enjoyed the first chapter :) I know it is a sad beginning :) But.. I promise you it will be much better later on :) Guarantee :) Please comment and subscribe :)