Chapter One

"I'm Okay."

There he was, sorting the books and putting them on shelves, effortlessly making himself look like a god just by doing such simple things like that. How does one do that? With his blonde hair mixing with the bright glows of the sunshine made him look like he was glowing, it was almost magical. Min Yoongi. Even his name was so beautiful.

 

Idiot, stop staring or he’ll notice you and think you’re a little creep, you scolded yourself in your thoughts.

 

The thought snapped you right out of your fantasies, which was a shame since you loved daydreaming. You switched your attention off your crush and back to the book that you were reading. Hopefully, you could just stay in this peaceful sanctuary forever and not go home to your dad who’s probably not even home but is out getting drunk again.

Hours have passed and you’ve already finished another series, you were surprised you read four books in one day, maybe that’s what happens when you’re in complete focus and didn’t let anything bother you. Turning your head to look at the clock on the wall, you realized that you’ve been in the library for the past six hours and didn’t even have lunch. It was already 5 o’clock.

 

“Excuse me,” you turned to your left to find the owner of the voice that spoke to you, it was from Jimin, one of Yoongi’s friends who also works in the library. “I’m sorry to disturb your reading but it’s already closing time.”

You nodded your head, not knowing what to say. Come on Shin Young, why don’t you start acting like a normal person and stop being afraid of talking to people, you scolded yourself again. “I-it’s okay, I-I was already finished r-reading anyways,” you stuttered, which made you want to slap yourself.

Jimin’s eyes widened into saucers, “You read all these in one day?”

“S-six hours, actually…” you corrected him.

His mouth made an ‘O’ shape, his expression filled with surprise, “Damn, you must be one fast reader to read a four books in only six hours,” he said, giving you a sweet smile, his eyes disappearing into a thin line.

 

You couldn’t say anything but smile back and began to grab your orange book bag that sat on the chair beside you. You could just tell that your face was flushing after having that small conversation with Jimin, it’s not that you liked him, it’s just that you haven’t had a full conversation with a guy before let alone even say a single word to them.

 

“KIM SHIN YOUNG!” someone yelled and you knew exactly who it was. Just hearing his voice gave you shivers but hearing him yell at you like that terrified you.

 

You turned to the right to see your father walking towards you angrily from the door. Out of all the places where he can yell at you, he had to choose the place where Yoongi worked at… wonderful.

 

He abruptly grabbed your hand, pulling your body closer to him, the smell of alcohol all over him made you want to throw up. “Do you have any idea what time it is young lady?!” he yelled at you, gripping tightly onto your wrist.

“A-appa, calm down, can you not do this here?” you begged, completely embarrassed of your father’s awful way of telling you to go home. There were people staring at you, especially Yoongi.

Your father’s eyes fired in disbelief. He scoffed, looking like a maniac that just came out from a prison, “Did you just talk back?!” he yelled again. “Let me teach you a lesson for talking back, you little !”

 

He raised his arm that wasn’t grasping onto yours and held it high, you could only tightly close your eyes, preparing yourself from the impact that was probably going to leave a mark for about a week.

 

There was no pain.

 

Opening your eyes, you saw Yoongi giving your father death glares, one of his hands gripping your father’s to stop him from his actions. Your heart began to race, you didn’t expect anything like this to happen, and you didn’t expect anyone to help you in a situation like this.

 

“It’s very unmanly-like for a father like you to be abusing his daughter like this,” he said as a matter of fact.

 

Not only did he made you feel a bit safer now, him doing a huge stunt like this to stop your father from hurting you made you fall for him even more. But the fact that he did that terrified you because you were afraid that your father might do something to him.

 

“This little -” he cursed, yanking his hand free from Yoongi’s grasp. “Why don’t you off and run home, this is none of your business,” he lets go of your hand then pushed Yoongi against one of the tables.

“Appa!” you screamed, wanting all the madness to stop.

 

Your father turned to your direction but before he could do or even say another word, Yoongi used his legs to push your father off of him, sending him down to the ground, wincing in pain. You were stunned, you had no idea what to do that moment, all you could think about was the consequences right after this battle.

Before you knew it, someone grabbed your hand and ran out the door with you. It was already dark outside and there was barely anyone walking along the streets. The man in front of you halted when he thought that the two of you were far enough.

 

He turned, your eyes widened into saucers realizing who it was. “I think we’re good,” he smiled, slightly panting from all the running. “I’m Jimin, by the way. The dude that helped you out with your dad was my hyung, Yoongi.”

 

You were speechless, only because you realized that the two of you were still holding each other’s hand. Looking down, Jimin also noticed and took his hand away, rubbing the back of his head then gave out an awkward laugh.

 

“Th-thank… y-you…” you said, feeling grateful for his assistance then bowed your head.

Jimin waved his hands in front of you, “No, no, if you want to thank someone, thank Yoongi hyung. All I did was drag you out of there,” he said.

Your eyes suddenly widened, “W-what about your friend? Is h-he going to be o-okay?” you stuttered again. You hated yourself for always stuttering when talking to someone.

“Hey, calm down, you don’t have to panic that much. I know Yoongi hyung can handle himself and plus, there were people there when everything happened, I’m pretty sure at least one of them called the cops.”

 

You opened your mouth to speak but nothing came out. He was probably right, people wouldn’t just watch a fight and not call the cops. Why did something like that had to happen to you in public? You were okay with it if that stuff happened to you at home but there were so many people watching you, judging you.

 

Shut up, Shin Young! Stop thinking about it or you’ll end up crying in front of Jimin, you mentally scolded.

 

Jimin shoved his hands in his pocket, “So-” he began but then cut himself off when he saw you at the verge of tears. “Hey, why are you crying?” he asked in alarm.

 

You couldn’t say a word, you just silently sobbed, pursing your lips together into a thin line so that you wouldn’t make any noises. Your tears were endlessly streaming down your face. You wished you were invisible that moment.

 

“Yah… don’t cry…” you heard him say. Before you knew it, he used his hand to push your head closer to his chest then caressed the back of your head lightly. “You’re okay now…”

 

There was only silence amongst the two of you. Not any of you said a word, the only sounds that was audible was your light sobbing and the faint sounds of police sirens. You liked this, you somehow felt very safe and comfortable.

 

“Jimin-ah,” you heard a familiar voice say. You stopped your tears from flowing then looked passed Jimin’s shoulder. There stood Yoongi with a little bit of blood dripping from the side of his lip, the way he looked horrified you.

Jimin turned and gave his friend a smile, “Hyung, you’re alive,” he said in a joking manner.

You brought up your index finger then pointed towards Yoongi’s wound, “D-did appa do that to y-you?” you questioned, a little scared to hear his answer though you already knew.

He gave you a confused look for a moment until the realization struck him, “Oh, this?” he pointed to his lip, “It’s nothing, got punched once but I returned the favor right before the cops came and took him away.”

“Wait, they took her dad away?” Jimin asked in disbelief, “Hey, are you okay with that? We didn’t mean to-”

“It’s okay,” you cut him off from finishing his sentence. “I’m already used to it…” amazing, for once you didn’t stutter.

The two boys tilted their heads in confusion. “Used to it?” Jimin repeated.

“You mean that this happens often?” Yoongi asked.

You nodded your head, “Appa gets drunk a lot and creates problems everywhere so he’s often in a cell.”

 

The two were silent. Did I say too much? I should have stopped talking and just nodded my head.

 

“Jimin-ah, why don’t you head home and I’ll walk Shin Young back to her own place,” Yoongi said, walking towards you.

For a moment, you could have sworn Jimin looked sad but he smiled so suddenly that anyone could have missed it. “Sure… take care.”