Stormy Weather: Chapter Four (Chen)

The Stone Chronicles: Rise of the Undead
Please log in to read the full chapter

**It's been 84 years! I know, I'm sorry, but I'm back! Enjoy!**

 

 

When they arrived to find that the Inn was crowded, it was no surprise to either of them.

Kaya confidently took the lead, effortlessly pushing through the noisy crowd. She stopped suddenly in the middle of the room and stood on her tip toes and spun around, evidently looking for someone.

She finally caught the attention of an angry, rather buxom woman who was in the middle of scolding a group of visibly drunken men who kept spilling their drinks. She was carrying no less than five full beer mugs in her hands and slammed them forcefully down on the table, making herself quite clear that if they spilled just one more, she'd kick them out herself. Her angry expression changed quickly when Kaya caught her eye, and she wiped her hands on her apron and motioned toward the pair.

She kicked the leg of one of the drunken men and waved her hand at him, motioning for him to move over, which he quickly did without much fuss. They would seemingly have to sit next to the rowdy bunch.

Chen was uncomfortable, but he followed behind Kaya toward the only open seats in the Inn. She looked back to check on him, and found him pouting a bit.

"Is something the matter?"

He straightened up quickly and smiled.

"Hm? Oh, it's just-"

He was interrupted by a wobbling man bumping into him, spilling a bit of his beer onto his shirt. The man chuckled, slapped him on the back roughly, and stumbled away. Chen wiped at his shirt and pouted again.

"It's just that I've never been in a place like this before."

She gently moved his hand away from his shirt and began to wipe at the wet spot on his chest. He could feel his cheeks begin to get hot immediately.

"You've never been to a tavern before? Ever?"

His voice hitched in his throat, but he managed to shake his head.

"Well then, this is exciting!"

She smoothed his shirt and took one of his hands. His heart was going to explode.

"To think, this is your first time in a tavern, and it's with me!"

She lead him to the seat just as the same woman walked back to the table with an air of authority, this time with two beers and a smile on her face.

"Kaya! It's been far too long!"

She sat the beers down and bent down to put her arms around Kaya's neck, squeezing her in an embrace that forced her head into the woman's s. She only laughed. 

"I would ask if you missed me,"

Kaya looked around in mock surprise.

"But I don't think you've had the time."

The woman put a hand on her forehead and feigned a swoon.

"Time? Why, whatever is that?"

She smiled and squeezed Kaya's shoulder, giving Chen a quick look and a wink before disappearing back into the crowd.

Kaya scooted her chair in and turned to Chen. 

"That's Sabina; she owns the Inn. Don't let her rough expression fool you, she's an angel. She was one of the first to come to the blacksmith shoppe when I took over."

She looked over to one of the empty bowls pushed to the side of the men sitting next to them and picked up a spoon. 

"I will have you know, that I can make some very fine cuttlery when necessary."

Chen took the spoon from her hand and looked at her in disbelief.

"No, it's true! She didn't need any weapons made, but she found a way to supply me with work none the less. She got me through a bit of a rough time with that, and I won't forget it anytime soon."

He nodded and sat the spoon down, noting that when he looked close, he could see her signature workmanship on the worn handle.

"I can't imagine that anyone wouldn't want one of your pieces. Your skill as a craftswoman is to be admired."

She turned her eyes down and looked at her drink shyly.

"Well, I don't think the townspeople completely trusted me then. It's no matter, that seems like a lifetime ago."

Kaya pushed Chen's mug toward him and then lifted her own. 

"Shall we have a toast?"

He smiled and pressed his mug against hers.

"To new friends!"

"To new friends!" she said happily. 

Time passed quickly in such pleasant company, and though simple, their lunch was delicious. The beer seemed to magically refill itself as they talked, and the rowdy men beside them were surprisingly well behaved. The sun would most definitely be setting soon, but he wasn't ready to go home; not yet. 

"Chen?" she asked and interrupted his straying thoughts. 

"Hm?" he turned his chair closer to her and put his elbow on the table, resting his smiling face on top of it, causing her to giggle. His cheeks were a very pleasant pink, and hi

Please log in to read the full chapter