Chapter Eight

Started as Strangers

Wooyoung tried his best to stay awake after the whole day full of schedule, when the car stops at the red light  he remembers this is the area where Jiyeon lives. Wooyoung check his watch and it reads 9.50 PM he pursue his lips for a moment thinking about what he wanted to do earlier. Then he remembered the cool breeze outside and the great old chicken soup restaurant nearby. Wooyoung think about it for a minute then he take a leap of faith and dial Jiyeon’s number without any expectation that she’ll picks up. But Jiyeon picks up at the first tone.

“Hello?” Wooyoung panic for a while after hearing her voice, shocked that she picks up so quickly. “Um, Hi Jiyeon” He stuttered “Hey Oppa, what’s up?”

“I’m actually on my way home, then I remember the chicken soup restaurant near your apartment and I kinda hate eating alone.. So, do you want to eat chicken soup?” Wooyoung says straight to the point unable to make small talks in his state of panic.

Jiyeon is silent for moment then she finally spoke “Actually Oppa-“

“I’ll treat you” Wooyoung cut her sentence not wanting to have no for an answer. Jiyeon laugh on the other end “I was about to say I think I can make it. But If you want to treat me then it’s fine as well” Wooyoung put a mental note to himself to always hear what she had to say first the next time he called her. “Okay then, I’ll see you at your apartment lobby?”

“Okay Oppa, I’m on my way home. I’ll see you later” Jiyeon answer hanging up the phone.

Wooyoung’s manager drop him off at his house. Wooyoung quickly take a shower and change his clothes to more casual. He wear a white t-shirt with his navy jacket and he also brought his cap in case someone notice him. Wooyoung quickly take his car keys and drive to Jiyeon’s apartment.

When Wooyoung got there, he park his car nearby and waited for Jiyeon at the apartment lobby. There’s no sign of her anywhere so he must be early, then Wooyoung lean his back to one of the walls and waited for Jiyeon.

Not long after that a bus stopped infront of the apartment Wooyoung can see Jiyeon coming down with the rest of the passenger, Jiyeon wear a simple navy tee and ripped jeans, she looks around at front of the apartment then turn her back to him looking for her phone inside her bag. While Jiyeon was busy with herself Wooyoung sneak up on her and stand next to her, knowing that she wouldn’t notice him.

When Jiyeon call Wooyoung’s number the phone of the person next to her ring. When she turn her head Wooyoung is already looking at her and grinning in a creepy way Jiyeon was so shocked she scream and hit Wooyoung with her bag. “Ow!” He shout

“You scared me!” Jiyeon says covering still shocked that she actually hit him really hard “You don’t have to hit me!” Wooyoung says rubbing his arm where she hit him “It’s reflex!” Jiyeon answer and Wooyoung cracked a smile remembering her shocked face.

“You have to stop scaring me Oppa” She says. And Wooyoung laugh “Well you are an easy target” He says messing up Jiyeon’s hair. “Come on! Let’s go eat” He says walking pass her to his car.

The Restaurant is actually further then Wooyoung remembered and he had to park a little further from the restaurant. “It’s not actually nearby if It’s like this” Jiyeon commented when she close the car door “Well, it’s been a long time since I’ve been here I think I missed some details” Jiyeon smile and shake her head walking side by side with Wooyoung.

“Tell me about the states, what do you learn there and how is it like?” Wooyoung says. “Well, I study fashion design back in the states. It was good, lots of pressure and competition.. And it made me realize how much I love fashion, but the truth is I’m bad at deciding what to design and predicting what’s the next big thing. So, I figured that if I can’t make it big in the industry as a designer might as well be the model.” Wooyoung look at Jiyeon closely she’s talking about her dreams with a lot of passion he likes the way her eyes sparkle a bit and how fell into a slight curve by just talking about it.

“How about you? Other than music what do you like?” Wooyoung think for a bit choosing what to say “Well I like a lot of stuff, I like decorating, drawing, traveling and a lot of things” Jiyeon nods “Beach? Do you like the beach?” Wooyoung nods happily “I’m from Busan, I love beach” Jiyeon laugh at his answer “Well me too but not because I’m from Busan.”

“Then we should go to the beach sometimes” He says when they turn left heading to the restaurant. Wooyoung look at Jiyeon then she look up and bite her lip pretending to think about it, then he look back to Wooyoung and flash her big smile “Okay! We should go to the beach sometimes” Jiyeon nods giving him a thumbs up.

Wooyoung spirit was up after that, the scenario already starting to flood is mind. But when they arrive at the Restaurant the owner is already sweeping the floor and the sign is already close

“Excuse me, but are you guys close?” Wooyoung ask the lady “Yeah, I’m sorry kid” Wooyoung frown, the place usually close at midnight “But usually you guys served till midnight” then Jiyeon elbowed him “Maybe they had their reasons, it’s okay” She whisper

“Yeah, but we ran out of stock today so we’re closed. Sorry” she says finally finish sweeping and close the door infront of the pair. Wooyoung huffed in disappointment, both for not getting his soup and because he disappoint Jiyeon.

Wooyoung turn to Jiyeon about to apologized but she was giggling. “What’s so funny?” He ask her. Jiyeon still had her big smile “You look so sad when she close the door on us it’s so funny” She says mimicking Wooyoung’s face. Wooyoung is both embarrassed for making that face and flustered by looking at Jieyon’s cute face, so he cover her face with his hand and Jiyeon ended up laughing again.

They took their time walking back to the car, they even took a detour at the park and talk much longer. Then suddenly a raindrop hits Wooyoung’s head “Oh!” He put his hand on his head to make sure it was rain. Then Jiyeon felt water starts coming down slowly to her hands. Both of them look at each other and quickly stand from the bench they’ve been sitting on since while ago and started running

“I think it’s going to rain!” Jiyeon says “It is raining!” Wooyoung says covering his head with his hands. The park was quite far from their parking spot and suddenly the rain fall harder and it starts soaking them. Jiyeon and Wooyoung both run to the car. Jiyeon, on her sneakers wedges can’t run as fast as Wooyoung. Then when they turn on the corner nearing the parking lot Wooyoung heard Jiyeon’s scream.

When he turn back Jiyeon is already on the sidewalk falling in seating position. He quickly run to her. Jiyeon is rubbing her back from the fall. Her hair and clothes are all wet from the rain.

“Are you okay?” Wooyoung says dropping to her side helping her to stand up “I slipped” She says while laughing at herself but Wooyoung continue to worry about her “Are you okay? Do you have a cut somewhere?” He ask checking her knees. “I’m okay, I guess the sidewalk is slippery” She says still laughing

Jiyeon look at Wooyoung who look so panic while checking on her. Then she grab his arm and his eyes shoot straight to her “Oppa, I’m okay” she reassure him. Then Wooyoung stand back up and he look at soaked Jiyeon. He quickly open his jacket and put it above their head as he stand next to her protecting them from the rain.

“Let’s go, you’re soaked” Wooyoung says to Jiyeon, Jiyeon nods and they run again to the car. Wooyoung run a little slower to match her speed and he keeps an eye on her all the time. By the time both of them arrived at the car the rain had turn to a storm and they’re both soaking wet from earlier.

“It turned to a storm” Jiyeon says from the passenger seat while Wooyoung is busy looking for his gym bag where he put some towels and spared clothes in. He found his black gym bag on the back seat and take the small towel and big towel from inside it and throw the big one to Jiyeon’s lap. Jiyeon turn her head to Wooyoung’s direction in question

“Go! Dry up” He says while he start doing the same. Wooyoung try his best to dry his hair and his now-soaked white shirt. Jiyeon couldn’t help to peek a little at Wooyoung’s shirt that hang onto his body and she can see his muscles underneath even though he look cute and skinny Wooyoung really has a great body. She quickly avert her gaze scared that she’ll turn red for peeking too long.

After drying up Jiyeon put the towel around her body feeling a little cold. Then Wooyoung starts the car and the Air Conditioner automatically starts up in a very cold temperature. Both of them quickly turn the button on reflex and their hands meet in the process. Both of them was stunned and Jiyeon quickly take her hand back and Look outside while Wooyoung turn the heater and start to drive.

On that breif encounter Jiyeon found out that Wooyoung is also freezing because his hands were cold. “Aren’t you cold oppa?” Jiyeon ask “Nah, I’m fine” Wooyoung lied, above being cold Wooyoung also felt uncomfortable in wet clothing. “Sorry for not getting the soup.. I didn’t know” Wooyoung apologized sincerely “It’s okay.” Jiyeon says

“When it’s raining like this, do you know what I like?” Wooyoung smile at the question Jiyeon ask “Ramen! It’s good on a day like this” says smiling at the thought “Exactly! Should I make one for us back home?” She says “Have ramen back at your place?” Wooyoung ask again incase he heard it wrong “Yeah, I can make one. If you like..” She says looking at Wooyoung’s expression.

Then she can see the smile on his face “Okay!” Jiyeon clap her hand in delight hearing his answer “Can I also change there? I have spare shirts on my gym bag” Jiyeon nods in agreement.

Wooyoung walks into Jiyeon’s apartment and to his surprise it’s bigger then he expected, She has a spacious living room, a flat screen TV, a big kitchen and even a great view. “Welcome welcome!” She says entering her house “The bathroom is over here if you want to change” Jiyeon walks into one of the door in the apartment and open it.

“You can use the towels over there” She pointed at the drawer on the kitchen sink then she bent down and take one for her “And there’s also hair dryer there if you want to dry your hair or something” She says “I’ll be on my room changing and making the noodles okay?” She says closing the bathroom door behind her leaving Wooyoung inside.

Jiyeon wanted to scream when she look at herself in the mirror, her hair is all wet and messy, her curls are now tangled her clothes is all wet too. She thank herself for putting on dark clothing and waterproof make up today. Jiyeon quickly change into a simple oversized tee and her sweatpants. She look at her leg and it’s slightly bruised but other than that it’s fine. She quickly dry her hair with her towel and go out to the kitchen and start making the noodle.

By the time Wooyoung come out of the bathroom the room is already filled with the smell of Ramen. Wooyoung is wearing his black t-shirt and grey sweatpants then he found Jiyeon preparing the plates and he realized she’s in a similar clothes.

“Oh!” She notice his clothing as well and she pointed out at their exact same sweat pants “Seriously I didn’t know” He says lifting his hand up in surrender and Jiyeon laugh telling him to take a seat. “Smells good btw” Wooyoung says “Right? I can’t wait to eat” Jiyeon says opening the lid.

The next day the guys meet up at the JYP building to talk about their US Tour. The guys have a few more week to practice and get ready

“What if we leave sooner and have a holiday there?” Taecyeon suggest the idea secretly looking at Nichkhun who already know about this idea “I always want to go on a Vacation with Sena!” Khun says supporting

“Should we?” Wooyoung says excited. “Should we invite Mina too, hyung?” Chansung teased when Junho enter the room after calling Mina “Whoa new couple going on Vacation together? Sounds interesting” Jun K teased winking at Junho. Junho laugh and push Jun K from his seat jokingly

“Well, She said she wanted a holiday so she can have an inspiration” Junho admit  “See? It’s perfect!” Taecyeon said. “It’s perfect for you too right hyung? You can meet up with you ex-girlfriend” Chansung teased

“Oh yeah! The perfect ex-girlfriend in the states!” Wooyoung says excited, Taecyeon always give the best advice about love because of his experience with his Ex he always tell their story back in the days and they seemed so in love, sadly they have to part ways when Taecyeon went back to Korea. “I don’t have her number so..” Taecyeon raised both of his hands in surrender

“Don’t we need tour guides?” Wooyoung says secretly praying Chansung get the idea about where this is heading. “We have Taecyeon.. Or maybe I can ask Jiyeon” Chansung offered and Wooyoung nods trying to look casual on the outside.

“Then it settles then! we leave 6 days before the concert!” Taecyeon says then he starts making phone calls. “You should ask Sena if she could take a day off” Jun K whisper to Nichkhun and He nods already thinking about a way to persuade her

The day of their departure..

“Where is Minjun hyung?” Taecyeon ask when he look at the crowd at Wooyoung’s home “He said he’ll meet us at the airport” Wooyoung says carrying his last bag. The guys all decided to go together from Wooyoung’s house. Taecyeon is the last one to arrive, “Everyone is here then! Let’s go” Wooyoung says “Wait, what about Nichkhun oppa?” Jiyeon says standing up “He’ll meet us at the airport too with Mina” Junho answer

Nichkhun pull up his car on his usual parking spot in the hospital while talking to Sena on the phone. “I’m on my way down now” Sena says on the phone “Should I help you carry your stuff?” Khun ask “No, no when paparazzi sees you on the hospital they’ll think of something. Just hang tight there” Sena answer pushing the locker room door and changing her clothes.

 “You seem in a rush” Hyunsoo says looking at Sena “Not really no” She answer stopping in her tracks “I have an operation in an hour and I’m craving for starbucks” Hyunsoo says while leaning at his locker. Sena look at the bottled iced coffee in her locker and throw it at him “Whoa” Hyunsoo catch it  “Thanks” He smile at her while opening the coffee “Yeah well, goodluck with the operation!” She says waving to him while going into the elevator

“Im Se Na! Wait!” Hyunsoo called catching up to her “hm?” Sena press the open button for Hyunsoo while dialing Nichkhun’s number “Do you need help with all that?” He ask looking at Sena who is struggling with her duffel bag and suitcase. She look at Hyunsoo, hesitating a bit but give in anyway “Yea, sure why not” She says as he take her suitcase.

Khun didn’t answer her call so she text him instead. “Where are you going anyway?” Hyunsoo says “A vaction actually” She says “Really?” He look envious at her and She laugh remembering about the operation “Actually, what you’re doing in an hour is suppose to be my operation” Hyun soo scoffed “Really? Gosh! And you got to go an vacation?” Sena laugh and nods happily.

Nichkhun open the trunk and make sure that Sena’s stuff will fit. He already text her the car location. Then he quickly go back to the car and wait for her not wanting the attention. Then he looks at his phone and there’s one missed call from Sena. He called her back but she didn’t answer so he waited.

The elevator door open infront of the car. Khun specially park the car infront of the elevator so she wouldn’t have any trouble with her bags. Then Sena comes out of the elevator with a guy he recognize from before. They’re laughing and Khun notice he’s carrying her bag.

Sena notice the block Khun texted and he saw his car so she turn to Hyunsoo “Okay,  you can send me off here” She says “Really? What about your car?” He ask hesitated “It’ll be here soon” She reassure him “You can always ask to be picked up at the lobby you know” He mumble giving her her suitcase. “But the patients need the lobby” She joked “Yeah, yeah whatever” He says and Sena laugh

“Okay then!” She says pressing the elevator door for him. “You’re really eager to get rid of me aren’t you?” He says “No, well maybe.. You have an operation in one hour!” She says “Well it’s suppose to be your operation” Sena giggled as he sulk

“Thanks again for the coffee, I’ll buy you next time” He says when the elevator arrive “Nah, don’t mention it” She replay waving at him “I’m serious! I’ll treat you next time! Safe trip Sena!” He says waving back when the elevator door closes.

Sena take her bags and saw the trunk to Khun’s car is open so she put her duffel bag and suitcase in. “Hey!” She says opening the passenger seat. “Who’s that?” Khun ask “Hyunsoo” Sena says while putting on her seatbelt. Khun raise his eyebrow at her

“A fellow surgeon, he’s my friend since residency. You met him before” Sena explained “You didn’t pick up your phone when I called you back” He says “You didn’t pick up mine first” Sena answer cheekily, but Khun frowned starting the car

“You guys seems joyful walking out of the elevator, what are you guys talking about anyway?” Sena couldn’t help the grin on her face. Is he Jealous? Again?

“Well let’s see, we talk about work, about my future, about my day hm.. what else..” Khun frown looking at Sena. And Sena laugh “No, no I’m joking! We talk about some operation” But Khun still frown “Then why are you two laughing?” Sena smile

“Well because I’m going to the states with you and he has to stay up and do the operation that I supposed to do.” Khun couldn’t help his grin of satisfaction “Good then” then he take her hand and intertwined it with his.

The guys are already hanging on the lounge when Nichkhun arrived, He approach the group opening his mask and sunglasses then he for Sena who is walking far behind him to prevent suspicion. Then when she arrived she said her greetings to the group

“Is everyone here?” Khun ask “No, no Mina is not here yet” Junho says while playing with his phone “It’s our first time meeting her right?” Jun K ask “Well not really, Wooyoung Chansung and Nichkhun already met her” Junho answer “Yeah, we play wing man that day” And Junho smile giving Chansung a thumbs up.

Then Junho recived a phone call from Mina and she ask him about his whereabouts and Mina says that she’s already there and now going in the Lounge “She’s here guys” Junho says to the group while putting down his phone and running to the Lounge entrance.

“Whoa, everyone is with someone in this trip. Right?” Taecyeon says while grabbing coffee with Chansung “Well, you too right? You can meet your Ex” Taecyeon laugh it off again “Like I say, the chances are slim” Then they go back to the group and Taecyeon suddenly stop in his track when He saw the girl in Baby blue dress walking with Junho.

No, this is definitely not the first time he saw her. He think to himself.