Chapter Nine

Started as Strangers

“Mina!” Junho says hiding behind the Lounge door Mina look at the guy in brown hair and flannel shirt and she quickly light up looking at his face as he walk to him “Hey!” She says and Junho give her a quick hug and lead her to the group. “Everyone! This is Mina, Mina, this is everyone” Mina give Junho a look telling him to be more specific “Oh! Sorry” He laugh

“You met Wooyoung and Nichkhun before” He says pointing at the 2 guys, she remembered them from their first meeting “That’s Minjun hyung” Junho pointed at the guy sitting with a big black hat and cool-looking sneakers “This is Sena, Khun’s girlfriend. And that girl who’s taking a phone call outside is Chansung’s sister Jiyeon.” She remembered the girl she saw wearing a flare skirt and leather jacket she saw earlier “Oh! And over there by the coffee machine is Chansung and Taecyeon” Mina nods but her eyes lock on the tall brown hair facing the coffee machine talking to Chansung.

“So, Mina how’s work going?” Khun started “Good! after this trip I think I’ll have a session again with IU but I don’t know for sure.” Mina says walking with Junho to take a seat next to Nichkhun and Sena “You work in the music industry too?” Sena ask “Mina is a composer” Junho says and Sena nodded, her eyes caught the sight of Taecyeon exiting the lounge but she focused her attention somewhere else “Mina actually got her composing degree in the states” Junho says

“Whoa really?” Mina just smile at him and nodded “What makes you move back to Korea?” Khun ask “Well.. Korea is my home and I like facing new grounds and expand my writing” Junho couldn’t help the smile on his face “Or maybe you at english” Junho teased “Well, I’m better than you at least” Mina stick her tongue out at Junho.

Jiyeon says goodbye to the voice on the other line, she can’t wait to go back to the states. She thinks to herself, She turn back and found Taecyeon leaning by one of the wall outside the lounge. He look tired and bothered. Then Jiyeon remember the maroon jacket Taecyeon give her from before and she look inside her bag and there it was, waiting to be returned to it’s owner she wanted to give it, but she realize the timing is not right.

Taecyeon sigh and cover his face with his hand. He can hear someone approaching him but he couldn’t care, then he move his hand to see the owner of the footsteps but then he find a banana milk infront of him. He look at the face holding it and there stood Jiyeon

“I don’t know what’s wrong but having a cold drink always makes me feel better.” Jiyeon says looking into Taecyeon’s brown eyes offering the drink to him. Taecyeon smile and take the drink in his hand

“And..” Jiyeon struggle to remove something from her pocket “Good music,” She says giving her pink ipod and earphone to Taecyeon “I don’t know what music you’ll like but I hope you enjoy some of it” She says urging Taecyeon to take the ipod. Then he take it nonchantly “I’ll take it you want to be alone considering you left the lounge.. So I’ll leave you to it then” Jiyeon says smiling at him trying to keep her cool when she wanted to run off from her nervousness

“Jiyeon?” Jiyeon stop at her tracks and turn back to face Taecyeon who is looking at her ipod “You have awful lot of our song in here” and Jiyeon flush blood red. She fogot about it! She quickly jog back to Taecyeon’s direction and try to take back her ipod but he raise his hand before she’s able to get to it. “Are you our big fan?” Taecyeon teased “What was I thinking! Give it back Oppa!” Taecyeon laugh watching Jiyeon who is jumping on her feet trying to get to the ipod.

“It’s okay! It’s okay! I like it” Jiyeon stops and take a step back from Taecyeon realizing that she’s currently backing him to a wall “What?” She huffed “The songs, you have some others interesting option” He smile at her while she fold her hands in her chest still annoyed. Then Taecyeon laugh and mess up Jiyeon hair before he walk pass her back to the lounge “Thanks Jiyeon!” He calls lifting her ipod and putting on the earphones.

Jiyeon took a deep breath and sank on her feet “What was I thinking!” She says hitting her head. Taecyeon turn back and watch the scene and couldn’t help grin spreading on his lips while looking  her.

While walking back to the lounge Taecyeon heard the announcement that the plane is leaving soon and he can see the group already preparing to go. His eyes are trained on the girl in the baby blue dress who is currently laughing with Junho.

“Hyung! Have you seen Jiyeon?” He turn his attention to Wooyoung “Hm? She’s outside? Why?” Wooyoung was silent for a minute, then he replied “Chansung is looking for her” He says and he nods to himself before he wonder outside. Taecyeon shake his head and put his earphone back on then he saw Jiyeon walking inside the Lounge with Chansung. He already found her, why is he asking wooyoung to look for her? He think to himself.

“Jiyeon!” Wooyoung called out and both she and chansung turn their attention to him “Yes Oppa?” Wooyoung bite his lips thinking how to ask this when Chansung is standing next to her. Then they heard the final call for their plane “Guys come on!” Nichkhun called out from the plane’s entrance. And Wooyoung walk away just hoping luck is on his side.

And turns out it’s not. Wooyoung wanted to ask Jiyeon her seat number earlier, but when he’s inside the plane Jiyeon is already sitting with Chansung. He huffed and take a seat next to Jun K. “What? Not happy to sit with me?” Jun K ask and Wooyoung shake his head.

It was a long flight and they all are tired when they’re about to land. “My back hurts” Jun K whine.”Imagine if we’re not flying first class” Junho says while waking up Mina gently. Wooyoung just open his eyes and he stretched, and he look around the room and he look at Jiyeon sleeping on Chansung’s shoulder, her brown hair is covering half of her face but he can see her peaceful smile she look really nice compared to Chansung who is sleeping with his open mouth next to her. Wooyoung cringed at the thought and turn his attention away from the brother and sister.

Taecyeon who is sitting alone and still holding onto Jiyeon’s ipod continue shuffling her music. They have a few same songs and he played  almost all of the games on her ipod and he topped almost all of her highscore. He also found some of her pictures and he accidently open her notes and found some of her writings. He wanted to read some of it but he doesn’t want to evade her privacy so he quickly closed it.

The strange thing is her lock screen there’s a great photo of the beach but there’s a small figure of a guy and Jiyeon standing in the middle. It was small and the beach was the highlight of the picture but Taecyeon still wonder who’s the guy in the picture.

When they arrived at the airport they separate ways to take their luggage. Wooyoung was waiting for his luggage when his eyes caught Jiyeon struggling to lift her luggage from the railings and he look around and he can’t find Chansung anywhere so Wooyoung go to her and silently lift her luggage for her

“Oh Oppa! Thank you!” Jiyeon says brightly, giving him a grin “Is that all of your bag?” Wooyoung ask still looking for his “Yeah, thanks Oppa” then he took his luggage and both of them join the group.

“Where do we go now?” Jun K ask Taecyeon then he pointed at the exit door “Yeah I know silly.. after that” Taecyeon pointed at Jiyeon “I have everything figured out Oppa don’t worry!” She says leading the way out.

“You planned this whole trip?” Wooyoung ask Jiyeon walking next to her and she nods “Taecyeon Oppa helped too” She says  “So what’s on the agenda?” Wooyoung ask while putting on his cap on the way out “Well for starters, the place we’re going to spend for the week is near the beach so we can have bbq there” Jiyeon says brightly remembering her fun days there

“Oh! the beach?” Wooyoung remember their promise and he can’t wait to go there “Yeah! The wave is so pretty there and-“ Jiyeon eyes scanned the room full of people and her eyes light up. Without even ending the conversation and she quickly run to the person on the other end of the hallway

Wooyoung was stunned with Jiyeon suddenly running. His eyes followed her direction and she was running to a guy with dark brown hair and blue eyes he’s holding a sign that reads Jiyeon and friends the guy smile brightly looking at Jiyeon and open her arms to her and Jiyeon run to it and he lift her up spinning her while they hugged.

Wooyoung frown and look back at Chansung who is looking puzzled as well. Then Chansung walk faster to the pair and Wooyoung quickly followed behind him wanting to know the relation between the pair. Chansung fake coughed when he reach the now-giggling pair. Jiyeon notice her brother’s presence and quickly push the guy and he quickly put her down. But He still have that smile on his face.

“Um, Oppa. This is Cameron.” Jiyeon says awkwardly while tidying up her clothes. Chansung turn his attention to the Brown hair guy infront of him. “Nice to meet you I’m Cameron.” Cameron says in Korean and he bowed and he offered his hand

“Oh? You know Korean?” Chansung was surprised “Of course! He’s the guy I’ve been telling you about! The one who takes care of me when I was in the states.” Chansung nods and shake Cameron’s hand “Oh and this are Oppa’s friends” Jiyeon introduce everyone “2PM members right? Yeah I know” Cameron bowed to everyone. “Come on let’s get you guys out of here” Cameron says grabbing Jiyeon’s luggage in his hand and he lead the way.

Cameron drive a mini fan that suprisingly fit everyone inside. Jiyeon is sitting at the front talking with Cameron in English. Nichkhun and Taecyeon sometimes join in the laugh considering both of them speak fluent english. “Isn’t this a little uncomfortable? Why are they talking in English?” Wooyoung whisper to Junho who is sitting next to him “Well it is, but we should let him considering he’s the one driving” Wooyoung frown still not satasfied. Wooyoung look at Jiyeon looking so happy talking to Cameron she has her big smile on and she looks so pretty.

“Um, Cameron.” Chansung suddenly says and the conversation quicky end “Yeah?” Cameron says looking at Chansung from the rear view mirror “Tell me about how you met Jiyeon” and Cameron laugh a little looking at Jiyeon “Oppa!I told you already!” Jiyeon protested “No, No I want to hear it from him” Chansung insisted. Cameron look at Jiyeon who is huffing and looking out the window, annoyed with his brother.

“We met at the first day of school, I found Jiyeon pacing while reading the school directory and her class schedule. She was pacing infront of my classroom and I hear her whining in Korean. Then I listen closer and found out that she didn’t know where to go” Jiyeon slapped Camerons arm “I do! I was just confused about the school layout”

“Anyway.. then I ask her in Korean and her eyes just lit up and she start to ask me questions in Korean. I don’t speak Korean that much recently so I was confused too so I just lead her basically to the first class on her list. But when we got there Jiyeon was annoyed at me and I was confused so I just push her in class. Then it turns out that she was asking me how to switch class and get away from that class.” Cameron laugh

“The teacher is such a ert and because of that day I wore my short skirt and tank top he always picks me for his class every year! And he’s class is so boring, you should hit him Oppa I almost failed that class” Jiyeon says annoyed and Chansung laugh “So, because I feel bad I also take the class that year and then I act-”

“-all cool and he keeps protecting me until the year pass and we became close” Jiyeon finish the sentence for Cameron. And Cameron laugh and shake his head Chansung can see they’re more to the story but he let it slide.

“Well anyway, thanks for looking out for her. She could be a little troublesome” Chansung says and Jiyeon flash her tongue at his brother “Oh and fun fact Oppa. Cameron is also your age” After Chansung interrupt that conversation Cameron start to speak in Korean so each and everyone of them can join in.

They arrived at a big white villa near the beach, it was very pretty. It was noon when they arrived so the weather is perfect for a day out in the sun. The rooms are divided with Jiyeon in her old room, Sena and Mina in the same room and the guys split into 3 rooms. Cameron showed them around the area and everyone was excited for the beach.

“You guys can rest up a bit or explore the beach. Food will be ready at 1.30 I think” Cameron says walking down the stairs with Jiyeon tailing behind him. “Whoa the place look awesome right?” Taecyeon says to Wooyoung “Yeah totally” Wooyoung says but his eyes are trained on Jiyeon who’s talking to Cameron while they prepare food. “Come on! Let’s wonder around, I want to see the ocean” Taecyeon says tugging Wooyoung away with him.

Jiyeon is preparing lunch with Cameron downstairs “Just like old times, huh?” She says and Cameron nods while he put the pasta in the bowl “How come you didn’t want to tell your brother that I was fake Boyfriend for a year?” Then Jiyeon turn to him and give him a look “Well.. First of all, he desn’t have to know and second of all isn’t it a bit embarrassing?” Cameron laugh “What’s embarrassing about being my girlfriend?” He says showing off his muscle to Jiyeon and Jiyeon burst out laughing and cover her eyes “You get what I mean!” She laugh shoving Cameron from her.

“Whoa it smells good!” Sena says with Nichkhun walking behind her “You cook?” She ask Cameron and he nods “Is he good?” Khun ask Jiyeon and she nods happily “His shrimp pasta is to die for” Jiyeon says. “How can you speak Korean so well?” Sena asked Cameron “My step mom is Korean and they talked in Korean at the house and my dad is the US embassy in Korea so he can speak Korean fluently too. So I figured I should too” Sena nods impressed.

“They live here?” Jun K says motioning the Villa “No, they moved to Korea when I went to college” Chansung take a few pictures of the guys from the second floor the he piped up on the conversation “Why don’t you move to Korea then?”

“I liked the states, and besides if I move then I won’t meet Jiyeon” He gave Jiyeon a hug. “You shouldn’t do that with my brother around” She says between her teeth low enough so only Cameron could hear her and he burst out laughing.

The group ate their lunch together and after that they enjoy the rest of the day outside. The guys all group up to surf and Cameron rented the boards for them while the girls watched from the coastline. “So how long are you and Khun’s been dating?” Mina says handing Sena her drink “Almost a year” She replay while thanking Mina “Is it hard?” Sena thinks about it before answering the question “Well at first you get jealous like crazy, so trust is important. And he’s busy, crazy busy but because I’m also busy that’s okay for me” Jiyeon is silently listening to the conversation while sipping her drinks while looking at the 7 guys in the water. Each of them look hot and charming in their own way

Nichkhun Oppa and Junho Oppa look so cool in their white tank top and beach shorts. Minjun Oppa has a shirt on and Jiyeon rolled her eyes at her Oppa who’s only wearing his beach short with no top on, showing the whole world his body. Wooyoung has tank top on as well and Jiyeon look closer and she remembered his toned figure and muscle from that night and she quickly avert her gaze to Cameron and Taecyeon who is talking together.

Cameron is in his usual carefree get up, she can see that he’s grown more muscular since they parted, and she notice that both him at Taecyeon look so good in that get up. Taecyeon has the best body out of the bunch and she avert her gaze when out of the blue Taecyeon turn his head and they lock eyes for a moment. Jiyeon panic and quickly look at the 2 unnie talking. And both of them are staring while her laughing at her. And Jiyeon look at them in confusion.

“What’s wrong unnie?” And both of them laugh again “Your face changed while watching each and everyone of them” Sena point out “Your face was so funny when you look at Chansung” Mina laugh again “So? Which one? Which one is your type?” Sena ask teasingly “Oh! No no unnie no they’re Oppa’s friend!” She quickly denied and both of them laugh again

“Is it Wooyoung? You look awfully close with Wooyoung” Sena teased “Or is it Taecyeon? her face lights up when she look at him” Mina says to Sena. Jiyeon flush red, did they observe her for that long? “Well?” Mina ask again calmly sipping her drink while looking at the guys surfing at the ocean. And Jiyeon can’t answer the question both embarrassed and confused “Just let her be Mina, she’ll fall for one someday” Sena says patting Jiyeon’s arm.

As the day goes on, one by one start to head back to the Villa. Jiyeon take a swim in ocean and when she get back to her seat Cameron is sitting there holding up her towel. “You look awfully hot in that get up” He commented and Jiyeon take the towel from his hand and smack him with it before covering her body with it “Seriously? A bikini? Who are you trying to impress here? Because if it’s me you can stop because you already got me hooked” He joked “Shut up” She hit him again and both of them laugh “But seriously, who is it?” And Jiyeon hit him again, why is everyone asking her that today?

“Me, I was trying to impress me. I like this bikini and I rarely wear it” And Cameron laugh again “Yeah sure” he rolled her eyes “What?” She hit him again “You always dress extra nice when you want to impress someone” He point out “I don’t!” Jiyeon protested “Oh yeah? Remember winter break when my sister is in town?” Jiyeon flush red remembering how she dress up for 2 hours because Cameron’s sister has a big name in the fashion industry. “Oh shut up” Jiyeon says and stands up while walking back to the Villa leaving Cameron behind.

She crossed path with Taecyeon on the way there. He’s all wet and she couldn’t help thinking how hot he looks while he’s carrying a surfboard. “Oh, Jiyeon!” Taecyeon says stopping in his tracks. Jiyeon’s hair is all wet and she’s hugging the towel around her body but Taecyeon can still see her long leg and he quickly snap back to her face.

“Your ipod, I still have it” Jiyeon nods “You can take it in my room now, Khun is not there. I think” Jiyeon pursue her lips scared she walk in on something if she just come in, Taecyeon laugh noticing her expression “How about after you take a shower and I finish this? Khun will be gone then” Jiyeon nods slowly still uncertain. “Just knock first okay?” Taecyeon smile before walking back to the beach.

After taking a shower and half drying her hair Jiyeon head to Taecyeon’s room. She stand on the door for quite a long time opening her ears for caution but she didn’t hear anything. She take a deep breath and knock on the door. “Come in” She can hear Taecyeon’s voice and she slowly peek to the door but she didn’t see him

“Oppa?” She ask coming to the door “Hm?” Jiyeon eyes went wide when he saw Taecyeon sitting on the floor leaning to his suitcase with only his shorts. She can see his back muscle and she quickly turn her back pretending she didn’t see. But Taecyeon saw her and he chuckled to himself and throw on his shirt. “I’m already dressed” He says and Jiyeon take a peek at him and she release the breath that she didn’t realize she’s holding and Taecyeon laugh at her “Sorry about that” Then Taecyeon head to his bed and look for Jiyeon’s ipod

“I notice the guy on your lockscreen” Jiyeon then remembered the picture on her lock screen and curse to herself “It’s Cameron isn’t it?” Taecyeon says finally finding the ipod “You guys seems really close” He commented “Well, yeah we’re like family” Jiyeon says truthfully. Taecyeon nods handing Jiyeon her ipod “What is it?” Jiyeon suddenly ask

“What happened back in the airport?” Taecyeon sigh hating the subject “It’s complicated” He says and Jiyeon frown unhappy with the answer “You helped though” Tecyeon says trying to change the subject but Jiyeon didn’t say anything “it’s okay, I’m okay now.” Taecyeon says giving her his fake smile.

“I know that’s a fake smile Oppa.” He was speechless and Jiyeon take a step back “It’s okay if you don’t want to tell me. At least don’t lie to me about how you feel” She turn back and close the door behind her leaving Taecyeon

For some reason making Jiyeon upset take it’s toll on him, his mood gone crappy again, and he was mad again. When he saw Mina sitting alone by the bar, He lost it. He wanted to talk to her, no He needed to talk to her. He’s been avoiding her the whole trip and she’s been doing the same too. Everything went back to him and without even thinking straight his feet already got him to her.

Taecyeon faked cough and Mina turn back to see Taecyeon sitting next to her. Mina take a deep breath and she finally take a good look of his face after all this time and suddenly everything she wanted to say to him was forgotten when she look at his pained face.

“I keep telling myself that it’s impossible that you’re her..” Taecyeon look directly to her eyes “Hearing the stories.. I suspected it, And when you walk in that lounge I lost it” He says. “It’s been a long time..” Mina manage to say and she can see the bitter smile on his face

“6 years and you didn’t even pick up my calls and you disappear from me. And you’re suddenly here, alive and well” He says and Mina was speechless, she didn’t realize how hurt he was and how hard it is talk to him again. “That’s not how you do it. You don’t get to come back to my life after disappearing like that. I looked everywhere for you”

“I loved you”