Chapter Seven

Started as Strangers

Junho order his usual coffee and take a seat at one of the nicest spot at the cafe it’s on the second floor near the window. He take the sofa while he wait for Mina. Junho take the second entrance of the cafe so he’s well hidden. They agree to meet here first before heading to lunch. Junho already plan things beforehand wanting everything to be perfect for their first date. They agree to meet up at 1 so Junho waited for her to come.

He take his time drinking his coffee while playing with his phone. He look at the clock and it strikes 1.05 and she’s not here yet. So he called her just to make sure he didn’t make the same mistake as Jun K. The phone ring 2 times before Mina answer on the other line “Hello?” Junho couldn’t help the smile on his lips “Oh, Mina! You’re coming right?” He ask straight to the point “hm, is somebody worry? Yeah I’m on my way” Junho feel relieved hearing her even joked about it. “Okay then, I guess I’ll see you later” Junho says before hanging up.

Junho waited and waited until he sees the clock strikes 1.30 “Why isn’t she here yet?” He says to himself looking around from his seat which is a little hard considering he’s a little hidden. “Is 30 minutes enough to wait..” He says remembering what happen to Jun K on his first date.

Junho dial Jun K’s number and he answer on the second ring “Let me guess, she didn’t show” Jun K says knowingly “Well no, not yet” Jun K laugh on the other end “I did call her tho, she said she’s on her way” Junho says defending himself afraid of the inevitable

“When is that exactly?” Junho look at his watch again “30 minutes ago..” Even Junho himself knows that he has been stood up. “Well..You have been stood up my friend” Jun K says on the other line. Junho sigh then hang up the phone.

He look at his phone again and there’s no missed call or text from Mina. Junho sigh annoyed with her for joking about it then suddenly stood him up “If she didn’t want to go at the first place she doesn’t have to lie about it” he mutter to himself, annoyed. Junho take his jacket and ask for the bill to the waiter. Then a thought came to his mind.

What if she got hurt? What if she’s on the way here but she didn’t make it?

His subconscious got the better of him and he can’t seem to shake that thought away from his head. Then he made up his mind to just ask her but he didn’t want to call her scared that she picks up and make lame excuses. So he text her.

Are you okay?

Junho paid the bill and waited for the answer. And seconds later his phone vibrates

No

He looks at the text over and over again, what does it mean? Is she okay? Or is she joking? Junho look at the text over and over again trying to think. Then he gives up and called Mina. But it went to voice mail, He called again and again then he stood up from his seat still trying to reach her. Then someone hit his shoulder.

Junho turn back and he found Mina standing infront of him “Mina?” Mina look shocked first looking at the guy she just hit. Then the anger went back to her eyes and she walk straight forward leaving dazed Junho behind. “Mina! Mina!” Junho snap back to reality and went after her, he deserve and explanation at least.

Junho caught up to her and he grabbed her wrist stopping her tracks “Mina!” He says. “What?” she glare at him “Whoa, aren’t I suppose to be the one that’s being mad here?” Junho says annoyed. Mina scoffed and try to let go of her hand from his grip

“Let me go” She says. “What? Can you at least give me an explanation after you showed up late?” Mina scoffed and rolled her eyes at him.

“Late? I waited for you for 30 minutes!” She says shaking her hand off him. Then she walk away headed for the door but Junho run faster and stand infront of the door before she could reach it. “Move” She says “No.” Junho looking straight to her eyes blocking the door from her “Move!” Mina says folding her hands on her chest annoyed with him.

“No! explain to me how could you not see me. I was sitting right there, right at the place where you hit me” Mina rolled her eyes “Oh yeah? Well even your lie is ridiculous. Now move!” She says trying to push him.

“No! I’m not making this up! I sat there!”Junho pointed “That’s even my coffee” Mina shake her head not believing in him.

“Just tell me where you waited” Mina sigh and pointed at the chair at opposite side of Junho then it all make sense, Junho went into the cafe from the back door and sit opposite the front door while Mina went in later from the front door so she didn’t see him.

“You didn’t see me” Junho realize. “that’s ridiculous!” Mina says staring at his face “did you sit facing away from the door?” Junho says and she nods slowly thinking abut what he just explain to her “Here, come here” Junho take her hands and let her sit on his table

“See? I can’t see you walking inside or sitting there” Junho pointed at her seat. Mina look at him trying the possibility of the scene he explained

“Look, believe me I didn’t stood you up. I showed up, I can even ask the waiter for you If you  can’t believe me” Junho says while taking a seat infront of Mina who still look at him with a glare. “Than what’s with the text? You asked me am I okay for being stood up right?” She says

“What? No!” then it also clicked to Junho’s mind why she says no “Then why?” Mina demanded for an explanation, Junho hesitated before answering because It sounds weird even saying it. But Mina raise her eyebrow at him demanding an explanation.

Junho take a deep breath “A crazy thought came to my mind about you being in an accident on the way here..” Mina couldn’t help to stifle a laugh

“I mean.. you have to have an explanation not showing up and at that moment I thought you got into an accident or something” He says explaining, he can see her relaxing a bit her expression already soften.

“For what’s it worth I’m sorry for making you wait. But I did show up on time” He says. “Yeah, well.. we just didn’t see eachother” Mina says finally believing him. The stay quite for a bit after that

“You’re quite scary when you’re angry” Junho says remembering her glare earlier. Mina laugh “Well.. I waited for half an hour with an empty stomach then magically I ran into you. How can I not be mad?” She answer still laughing at the ridiculous circumstances.

“You haven’t eat since morning?” Mina shake her head “Let’s go then! We don’t want you fainting on our first date” Junho stood up offering her his hand.

“Date? You didn’t say anything about date” Mina retort taking his hand anyway. Junho’s face went red at the realization of his words and Mina couldn’t help laughing while looking at Junho’s red face “Well um, yeah.. I mean lunch” Mina laugh again at Junho who can’t seem to look at her eyes directly after that.

While Junho is on his date with Mina the rest of the members also have a day off. Chansung and Taecyeon spent their day working out on Chansung’s gym. While Jun K spends the day with Nami sneaking up  between her schedule so they can spend some time together.

Meanwhile Nichkhun already got all of his plans work out for today mostly for his surprise for Sena. Sena told him that she had an operation since last night till this afternoon so Nichkhun wanted to make her some homemade lunch. Nichkhun wonder around his house taking care of lunch for both him and Sena. He already text her asking her innocently about lunch acting like he has a busy schedule as usual so she wouldn’t have any suspicion.

By the time the clock strikes 11.30 Nichkhun already pack everything up and ready to go to Sena’s hospital. He put her lunch on lunch box and he smile to himself proud of the outcome. By the time Nichkhun reached the hospital it’s already 11.50 so Sena suppose to have lunch now.

Sena just finish the operation, she answer Khun’s text then head to her locker room changing her clothes, she feel so beat up after the operation she thinks she needs a nap. She exit the locker room and head to the overnight room then she met Hyunsoo on the way there.

“Heading to the overnight room?” He ask. Sena nods “That operation is seriously no joke” She says “Yeah, tell me about it. I saw you last night preparing, and geez I don’t want to be in your shoes” He joked and Sena rolled her eyes.

“Let me guess, you haven’t eat a thing since last night” and he guess right, she didn’t even have lunch yesterday. Hyunsoo being a surgeon like her knows her like the back of his hand. They had residency together and used to work together in an operation back in the days and they become very close practically like brothers and sisters

“Have lunch with me then” He says when they reach the overnight room “But I’m so beat up” Sena protest “I’ll have an operation too after this and I plan on eating the whole cafeteria so you better at least have a bit” Sena laugh at his lame excuse “And besides a doctor is still human, you need to eat” He says dragging her to the cafeteria

“Okay, okay I’ll go!” She says laughing walking next to him. Hyunsoo has his carefree smile on he’s the kind of guy who can be scary smart and serious but has a playful side behind it too. His black hair is a little wavy and he has big eyes and dimples on his pale face. Hyunsoo stops at the fending machine and throw one of the instant coffee from the machine to Sena. She remembers this drink being their survival kit on their residency days

“Remember when this drink is our survival kit?” Sena laugh to herself while Hyunsoo continue reading her mind. “Back when we couldn’t even sleep?” Sena says and Hyunsoo nods happily while he pointed at the new doctors running around

“Just like them” Sena laugh looking at them, then Hyunsoo put his arm around Sena’s shoulder, this act got her by surprise “But now, life’s good my friend” He joked making weird hand gesture and Sena couldn’t help laughing out loud.

Nichkhun look at the scene folding infront of him. He notice Sena at first walking with a guy he doesn’t know. He wanted to go to her but he stopped at his tracks looking at how Sena laugh so bright and she wear her big smile with that guy. Then he decided to stick around and watch, when the guys hands went to her shoulders, Khun just lose it

“Excuse me can I talk to Doctor Im?” Nichkhun says interrupting the pair who is currently laughing, Hyunsoo quickly remove his hands from Sena’s shoulder. “Yes sir, can I help you?” Sena answer looking at the man who is wearing a cap and mask standing infront of her she can’t look at his face properly “Can we talk for a minute?” Nichkhun says fake coughing to throw any suspicion for the mask he’s wearing.

“Actually sir, there’s a consultation time and you can register downstairs, Dr. Im is having a break at the moment” Hyonsoo says to the mystery man then Sena elbowed him “Is it some emergency sir?” Sena ask again “Yeah, I need to speak to you. Privately if I might add” Nichkhun then look at the guys direction and glare at him “Certainly sir, follow me” Sena says leading the way to her office.

Sena ask about the problem on the way to her office but as Nichkhun make up lies it gets more and more trickier along the way. When they arrived, Sena close her office door behind them and stood infront of him folding her hand “Okay, I know you’re faking everything. So what do you want?” Sena says looking brave infront of him.

Nichkhun burst out laughing at the tough girl act Sena just throw at him. Sena look at the guy weirdly, he’s laughing.. that’s an unexpected response to what she had in mind.

“How about a lunch with me?” Nichkhun says opening his mask and cap. Sena’s eyes lit up seeing his face “Nichkhun!” She quicky run and he open his arms and she ran straight to it they hugged while Khun continue laughing

“Oh my god! What are you doing here!” Sena says tightening their embrace “To see you of course!” Sena couldn’t help the grin on her face as she plant him a kiss on the lips “I had a day off” He says between kisses. Sena put her arms around his neck and kiss him again, she miss him so much it’s been almost 3 weeks since they saw eachother.

“You miss me don’t you?” Khun teased and Sena nods and let go of their embrace. Khun lift the lunch box in his hands and Sena snatched it immediately

“You look rather occupied when I saw you today” Khun says starting “Well, I had operation since last night. So yeah, I was quite occupied” Sena says while opening the box “No, not that” Khun take a seat infront of her “What then?” She finish unpacking at give Nichkhun one of the chopsticks

“That guy, the one you were talking before..” Sena nods and starts eating “You guys look overly friendly” He says. Sena continue nodding and eating, neglecting him “The way you smile at him..” Sena stop eating and look at Khun’s face “What about the way I smile?”

“Then his hands.. why is he even hugging you like that?” Khun continue “Wait.. what?” Sena put down her chopsticks and stare at Nichkhun “Who is he anyway?” Khun ask looking into her eyes and Sena couldn’t help hiding her smile. Is Nichkhun being jealous right now?

“You guys don’t have to work together, right? I understand you guys are doctors but is physical touch really necessary?” Sena just smile at him “He’s not even that handsome!” Khun continue to ramble “And the way he dismiss me like that? That’s so rude! What if I am a patient? He can’t do that right?” Then Nichkhun notice Sena is not saying anything to him.

“Im Se Na! Answer me!” And Sena couldn’t help but burst out laughing “Why are you laughing? It’s not a joke!” But that only makes her laugh harder

“You’re jealous aren’t you?” Sena says still laughing “Jealous? Me? No! He’s not even on my level” Sena grinned at him “Then you wouldn’t have any problem with me being around him right?” Sena teased

“Yah! Im Sena don’t test me” And Sena burst out laughing again “I think I will.. If it means seeing you at the hospital more often” Khun rolled his eyes at her “I’m serious, I don’t like him doing that to you” Khun says in a serious tone “Okay I get it” Sena nods giving him a thumbs up “I’m serious!” And Sena laugh again “I’m serious too!” Sena says and kiss Khun on the cheeks.

After Nichkhun drive Sena home he meet up with Taecyeon and grab coffee together. “What if I ask Sena to go on vacation with me?” Khun says starting the conversation “For your anniversary?” Khun nods “But isn’t it too soon? And besides aren’t we busy?” Khun sigh as they take a seat that their usual table at the far corner well hidden from the others “I know, but I always want to.. I rarely see her nowadays”

“What about we leave early before our concert in the states? We can use the time for vacation there” Taecyeon says “That could be the perfect loophole!” Khun says totally on board with the idea. “Yeah totally, we can ask the others too” Khun nods, happy with the idea.

The doorbell to the cafe ring and someone walks into the cafe. Nichkhun and Taecyeon quickly put their sunglasses back on and hiding their faces. “You say the cafe is usually stranded this time of the day” Taecyeon whisper to Khun “Well it’s working hours it’s supposed to be” Khun whisper back. The two of them look at the visitor and she order a coffee to go. She has sunglasses on and she’s wearing a white tank top and jeans despite the windy weather outside. “She looks familiar” Khun whisper while looking at the girl again. Then the girl open her sunglasses while playing with her phone.

“Jiyeon!” Khun called out and the girl look at the pair of guys sitting at the corner. Khun wave at her and Jiyeon frown unable to recognize the person. Then Nichkhun open his sunglasses and Jiyeon’s face brighten “Oh! Oppa!” She thank the bartender and go to the pair.

Taecyeon also open his glasses when Jiyeon approach, Jiyeon almost stop at her tracks but  she just smile at Taecyeon but try to avert her gaze from him still embarrass about their last encounter.

“What are you doing here oppa?” Jiyeon says to Nichkhun while pulling a chair infront if him holding her hot cup with both hands. “We have a day off” Jiyeon nods and put her now-warm hands to her cold cheeks. “What are you up to today?” Khun ask Jiyeon “I just finish a photoshoot and now I’m going on a casting call” She says sipping her coffee. “Whoa things are starting to look up right?” Jiyeon nods happily at Khun’s comment

“But isn’t it windy out there?” Khun ask pointing at Jiyeon’s minimal clothing “Actually, it is.. I left my jacket at the last photoshoot and I don’t have time to go back there and take them so I just went around like this” Khun pursue his lips feeling bad for her

“Anyway oppa, I have to go. This is suppose to be just a coffee stop.” Jiyeon say standing up grabbing her coffee “Where are you going actually?” Jiyeon pointed at the direction “I just need to walk a few blocks from here. It’s not that far actually” Khun nods waving at her.

Jiyeon bowed and turn her attention to Taecyeon and suddenly he hands her his maroon jacket. Jiyeon look shocked at the action “Um, it’s fine oppa. It’s not that bad” She says pushing it back to Taecyeon. She bowed and leave the pair “I’ll see you later oppa” She says more to Nichkhun then leave them

Halfway to the door Jiyeon feels something draped on her shoulders. She looks at the heavy thing and realize it’s Taecyeon’s maroon jacket. She can feel him behind her putting it on but she didn’t dare to look at his face so she just stood there. After putting it on her shoulders Taecyeon walks out of the cafe without saying anything or looking back at Jiyeon.