mine

winter to summer

mine


2.7k, your usual dose of fluff, un-edited, gif credit

 

“Sunbaenim! Yoon Bomi Sunbaenim!”

 

Bomi stops in her track and turns upon hearing her name being called. Behind her, a boy she doesn’t recognize walks up to her with a nervous smile. She raises her eyebrows in question.

 

“It’s…,” his face is red, and he’s clenching-unclenching his fists. But then he looks directly to Bomi’s eyes with a determined expression. “P-Please go out with me!” he says while bowing 90 degree. Bomi’s respond is to blink. Realizing his mistake, the boy raises his head for a moment, “A-Ah! My name! It’s—It’s Jinyoung! Park Jinyoung! Second year, class 3! P-Please, go out with me!”

 

He continues to bow, and Bomi notices how the confession in the hallway has attract quite attention from other students. Her stare drifts around a little bit before it returns to the boy – Jinyoung, Bomi can see his trembling hands – and Bomi bows back to him. “I’m sorry,” is all she says, turning back to where she was going.

 

She hears someone talks behind her, probably to Jinyoung, “I’m sorry, man, that was . Park Chanyeol must be a masochist when you think about it…“

 

Bomi continues walk to her locker, but when she’s about to turn in the corner, she stops and hides herself with the wall behind her back, because she sees a certain tall boy in front of his locker along with two juniors she doesn’t know.

 

“Sunbaenim!” a high-pitched voice, belongs to a girl. “I know that you won’t go out on a date with me, but please accept this! I stayed up last night to make these cookies, you know?”

 

A warm laugh before someone replies, voice deep and rich, “You know my heart, why do you even stay up late, you punk.” There’s no menace in his tone, just playful teasing. “I’ll take it, but only this once, okay? Don’t make me anything from now on!”

 

“Chanyeol Sunbaenim,” a different voice, probably the second girl. “Why do you like Bomi Sunbaenim so much? Just date my friend here, she’s not lacking anything!”

 

“I know, right,” Chanyeol laughs again, and Bomi pulls herself even closer to the wall. There’s a permanent stain on the floor below her and she fixes her stare there. “But what can I do, my heart belongs to her. You should study hard and find a better man than me, kiddo!”

 

He shoos the girls away, and the two actually passes Bomi by on their way, bowing a little to her – one of them gives her a stink eye. She stares at the juniors’ back before she turns to the locker hallway, seeing Park Chanyeol leaning to the locker beside hers, his headphone on his neck while he’s picking a song from his iPod.

 

Chanyeol looks up with Bomi’s arrival and smiles. “Hey! You already finished today? I’ll walk you home?”

 

Bomi takes out her books from her lockers and lock it. She looks at Chanyeol’s eager and hopeful face, as if taking her home is something so exciting to him. She nods.

 

His eyes get smaller when he smiles. “Great! Yoon Bomi, I like you, you know?”

 

The girl stares, contemplating her answer, but in the end she settles with her usual one. “… I know.”

 

***

 

Yoon Bomi, the school’s taekwondo athlete. Everybody in the school knows her and really it’s hard not to, since her name is often mentioned during weekly assembly with the countless wins she achieved. In addition, she’s a model for a uniform and a milk brand, and she’s popular alright, not only because of her ability but also because she has quite the look – petite and cute with a charismatic aura.

 

Park Chanyeol, your usual goofy friend. He’s a ‘nobody, means that he doesn’t particularly stand out except for his unusual height of 185cm. In the music club as the drummer, always has these huge headsets around his neck and a backward snapback on his head, a loose tie and wrinkled uniform from who-knows-what. He’s okay, his height makes him seems cooler that his actual personality – his hobbies included cracking lame jokes in every occasion.

 

In term of popularity, of course Bomi’s tramples over Chanyeol’s, but in term of likeability, it’s no secret that Chanyeol will take the win.

 

Frankly speaking, Bomi is hard to approach, expressionless 9 out 10 times with short sentences replies that it doesn’t seem she’s interested in anything it frustrates the other party. She’s not rude, just withdrawn and quiet, but definitely not the person you will count on to light up the mood. On the contrary, Chanyeol is known as an ‘ice-breaker’, he doesn’t do awkward and his laugh is ‘cheap’ – he’ll give it to you at the poorest attempt of joke. He’s a nice guy in overall, one with a lot of acquaintances.

 

They are two different persons with personalities like day and night – but since they’re classmates and have the same circle of friends, they somewhat end up as friends too.

 

So it’s really not a rare sight, all of them eating together during lunch, hanging out after school, them sticking together on school events, and it’s not unusual when Chanyeol’s spotted at Bomi’s match, along with their classmates.

 

It’s really not unusual; Chanyeol’s holding a cheering banner for Bomi, except that one time.

 

Bomi was on the small podium, about to receive her medal, when her eyes stumbled on the big banner held by her friends. Baekhyun and Jongdae were on the opposite ends while Chanyeol was in the middle, biting into a single rose. That was the usual position – minus the rose.

 

But instead of the usual ‘Fighting Yoon Bomi!’, that time the banner read ‘Please date me Yoon Bomi! – Park Chanyeol’ and Bomi only blinked her eyes at the banner.

 

She didn’t show any emotion, but after she received her medal, she made a bow to the direction of Chanyeol’s banner.

 

That was public confession/rejection number one, and certainly isn’t the last.

 

It quickly becomes a recurrent event, Chanyeol proclaiming his feeling and Bomi’s quiet reaction. At first he said it diligently once a week with a mini event although not as a scene-stealer as the famous banner-confession, giving her the seemingly insignificant gifts like keychain, hairpin, shoelaces, or even only a bottle of energy drink, playing the guitar and singing a love song directed to her, writing love notes and putting them on her locker or on her books. Bomi’s replies to him were a variation of ‘thank you’, ‘you don’t have to’, more ‘thank you’s with a polite bow but no smile.

 

Later on when Chanyeol changed tactic and just randomly spewed out his ‘I like you Yoon Bomi’s anytime anywhere, Bomi’s replies changed too into a quieter ‘thank you’, sometimes ‘I know’, and when she’s tired she would brush him off, ‘just eat your lunch, Chanyeol’ because of course only Chanyeol who would suddenly confessing out loud in the middle of lunch when the rest of the table was discussing their last math test.

 

The whole school knows about Chanyeol’s constant confession – because honestly, he’s never being discreet about it – and they also know about how Bomi turns him down every time. Yet, Chanyeol never seems discouraged by Bomi’s lack of respond, following her around and giving and helping and keeping on loving her in general.

 

***

 

There’s a small park between the Bomi’s bus stop and her house, and they often stop by there just to sit around and chat. Bomi sits down and stretches out her legs, looking up to the sky. Chanyeol puts his phone on the bench between them, choosing Soyou’s and Junggigo’s Some for their background music. Bomi looks at him at his song choice. He merely grins.

 

“Ah, I have some cookies,” Chanyeol suddenly says, rummaging through his bag before he takes out nicely wrapped chocolate cookies. “Let’s eat them together.”

 

Bomi eyes them then turns her head away. “… Let’s not. They’re meant for you, not for me,” she says, looking back up to the sky.

 

Chanyeol stops mid-way in un-wrapping the cookies. “Oh, you know.” He’s quiet for a while before peeking at her. “… Perhaps, are you jealous?”

 

She doesn’t answer, even though she can tell Chanyeol is grinning again. He brushes the tips of her hair lightly with his finger. “You’re cute. You know that I like you, right?”

 

***

 

Bomi sips her juice, hair tied high into a ponytail, sitting on the gym’s floor side by side with Eunji, her best friend, while watching their friends playing basketball after school.

 

Chanyeol is also playing, ditching his uniform and only in a black sleeveless T-Shirt, the curves of his arms earning dreamy sighs from the girls from other classes who also watch the game. He shoots a three point and when it goes in Chanyeol quickly turns his head to Bomi, asking eagerly, “Did you see that? Did you see that?”

 

She nods to reassure him that she indeed saw it – and so did about twenty other spectators around them who clearly don’t matter to Chanyeol. Chanyeol grins, satisfied, before Baekhyun bumps into him and tell him to wipe off the stupid grin from his face.

 

Eunji sips her juice too, watching all of the moments happening in front of her. She puts down her juice and says, “Bomi-yah.”

 

“Um?”

 

“I don’t mean to be nosy, and you know I never ask you about your feelings to Chanyeol whatsoever, but, don’t you think he’s alright?”

 

“Huh?” Eunji was talking too fast for Bomi to understand that she can only furrow her eyebrows.

 

“I’m talking about Chanyeol. It’s been, what, almost three months? I mean, sure he’s not the best guy out there and you probably have a high standard, but he’s not so bad, isn’t he? He’s nice, and I bet he’ll treat you good.”

 

Bomi nods hesitantly, not quite sure about what Eunji’s talking about.

 

Eunji continues, “Right? You agree too, right? I understand, you just don’t want things to be awkward between us since we’re all friends, that’s why you never really reject him, but I think you need to draw a line. It’s for him too, I feel sorry every time he tells you he likes you.” Eunji shakes her head, staring at Chanyeol who’s goofing around with Baekhyun and Jongdae. “And he never learns.”

 

Chanyeol, in the middle of laughing, shifts his glance to Bomi and he waves at her.

 

“See?” Eunji says. “That’s what I mean!”

 

Bomi doesn’t return Chanyeol’s wave, still furrowing her eyebrows, the corner of tugs down a little. Sensing the unusual respond, Chanyeol raises his left eyebrows, asking silently.

 

“So,” Eunji starts again, “What I’m saying is, you probably should give the guy a real answer, not just a simple ‘thank you’ or ‘I know’ like you usually do.”

 

There’s no answer from Bomi when she goes back to sipping her juice, but it’s her normal reaction so Eunji pays her no more attention and she sips her own juice, too.

 

***

 

Seokjin and Kyungsoo are busy showing-off their home-made lunch to Soojung as the jury and Yoongi, who sits between the two boys, decides that he picks a good seating position today. Jiae is texting her older boyfriend, as always, while Jongdae is trying to show the bruise on his arm to Eunji - he was bitten by his nephew the other day. Baekhyun is busy stealing food from his friends’ plates and he grins to Bomi when the other girl stares at him after Baekhyun takes her meat. She doesn’t say anything, so Baekhyun chews on his stolen meat happily.

 

Chanyeol shows up late, putting down his tray opposite of Bomi, making a clattering sound along with him. “What did I miss?”

 

“My nephew bit me!” Jongdae quickly takes the chance to whine, and even though it’s small, indeed the bruise mark is quite clear on his pale skin.

 

“Damn, that’s ugly,” Chanyeol comments, slurping his soup and getting messy around his mouth afterward. Without a word Bomi pushes the tissues to him and Chanyeol takes some, wiping his mouth. “Thanks, you’re the best, Bomi-yah,” he tells her, grinning.

 

Baekhyun groans at the same time Jongdae says, “Not again!”

 

Undeterred, Chanyeol grins wider, “I like you.”

 

Eunji nudges Bomi’s leg under the table. “Remember what I told you the other day…”

 

Bomi nods, and instead of her usual ‘I know’, she leans forward, pulling Chanyeol by the tie and brings him closer – and then she kisses him square on the mouth.

 

Seokjin drops his chopsticks dramatically as Soojung gasps.

 

Bomi pulls back after pressing their lips a bit, and even though there’s pink dusting her cheeks, she doesn’t look that embarrassed or bothered by the fact she just kissed Chanyeol in front of their friends – in front of the whole school, actually, since some students from nearby tables also saw it.

 

“People,” she clears , “seem to misunderstand. They think we’re not together just because I don’t tell you I like you often.” Bomi glances up at Chanyeol, and she looks worry now. “But… you know, right? Even though I don’t say it every day? That I… That I like you?”

 

Seokjin drops Soojung’s chopsticks dramatically along with Jiae’s muffled squeal.

 

Chanyeol blinks, in a daze after the sudden kiss and the even more sudden confession. And this time it’s his turn to say, “… I know… I mean, I know, and I like you too.”

 

Seokjin drops Yoongi’s chopsticks dramatically and Yoongi sighs, feeling the floor is too far away and he doesn’t want to bend down to pick it up.

 

“Hold up!” Jongdae says. “Wait—What? I don’t get it—”

 

Kyungsoo cuts him. “You mean you’re two are actually together?”

 

“Huh? Yeah, we are.” Chanyeol puts his hand on top of Bomi’s. “You guys don’t know that we’re dating?”

 

Seokjin reaches over to Kyungsoo’s utensils for more dramatic reaction but Kyungsoo moves them away from his reach.

 

“But… you’re always confessing,” Eunji says, confused.

 

“That’s because I like her! What’s wrong with telling my girlfriend that I like her?” Chanyeol asks back, a little bit annoyed now. Bomi lowers her head, blushing. Even though she hears him again and again, Chanyeol telling her that he likes her, it still makes her heart beats faster every time.

 

“You didn’t tell me that you’re dating!” Baekhyun yells.

 

“I did! You’re the one who didn’t believe me! I said, ‘Baek, me and Bomi are going out now, congratulate us’, and you laughed at me, you said that I finally went crazy after getting rejected too many times…”

 

“Well you definitely didn’t tell me!” Eunji turns to Bomi.

 

“… Because you never ask…,” Bomi says and Eunji can only massage her temple because she did never ask and Bomi is not the type who tells things voluntarily.

 

“Umm... It’s shocking, but, congratulation! I think you two are cute together!” Jiae tells them and Chanyeol makes a V-sign at her.

 

“But what makes you suddenly, um, did that?” Soojung asks curiously from her place on the other side of the table. All eyes are on Bomi now, since she’s

 

“Just… because…” Bomi glances to a few tables down from them, where two familiar juniors are staring wide-eyed at their direction. “… I want people to know what Chanyeol is mine…”

 

Jongdae gives Seokjin his chopsticks so he can drop them dramatically.

 

Ignoring his friends’ shocked expression at Bomi’s unusual bold statement, Chanyeol grins, “Don’t worry, even if no one knows, I’m still yours to keep.” And then he leans over the table to give a peck on Bomi’s forehead

 

The reaction is immediate.

 

“Oh God! My fingers!” Baekhyun shows his curling fingers to Jongdae who’s in the same condition with him. From his place, Yoongi shudders, while Seokjin and Kyungsoo take it better and just grimaces. Jiae and Soojung seem to love the PDA, though, giggling and cooing.

 

“… Unbelievable,” Eunji mutters. “I think I like it better when you still go ‘I like you I like you’ and you just say ‘I know’ every time. I was wrong. Just keep doing that, no more kisses in front of us, please.”

 

Bomi ducks her head, feeling embarrassed just now, but Chanyeol laughs, squeezing her hand and turn the palm over so he can write ‘yours’ there with his index finger.

 

It seems that he has no plan to stop telling Bomi that he likes her just yet.

 

 


 

 

+ I just realized that this is the opposite of 'I love you.' chapter

++ Soojung and Jiae is Lovelyz's Baby Soul and Yoo Jiae, Seokjin and Yoongi is BTS's Jin and Suga