Sheet 9

Broken Music

Sheet 9

Solo

 

          A week has passed since his (strange) friend promised to help him. He doesn’t doubt that he’ll come back, he always does. But time is ticking and the princess is out there somewhere. He’s afraid to imagine the horrors the princess is going through while being held captive.

 

          It’s still unsure though, what the captors truly want. His Father’s advisers haven’t brought forth reasons for the suspected enemy kingdom to abduct the princess. He is constantly restless; he wants this ordeal to end but so far all h has done is wander aimlessly.

 

          “Your Highness, you called for me?” Sung Yeol, one of his most trusted knights entered the tea room, looking exhausted. He has asked him to keep notes of the daily meetings done by the council with regards to finding the princess.

 

          “Yes, I wanted to inquire about the council’s plans of finding Princess Mi Joo...”

 

          “There isn’t much difference from previous council meetings. The only plan that they have now is to look through possible enemy kingdoms or find out if any of them has a valid motive to commit such treason...”

 

          “So the council is still doing nothing...”

 

          “I apologize, your Highness...” Sung Yeol bows low, not able to bring good tidings yet again.

 

          A wave of sadness enveloped Woo Hyun, what use is he if he can’t find his love? What right does he have to be called her betrothed?

 

          A knock on the door broke the silence.

 

          “Your Highness, a guest has arrived for you...” a servant stands by the door of the library, waiting for him.

 

          Sung Yeol takes his leave and the prince is led towards one of their private drawing rooms.

 

          The two people inside the room don’t seem to notice that someone has joined them. Busy in their own world, tension evident between them.

 

          “Why did you...” Lady Soo Jeong suddenly blurts out, frustration clearly written on her face.

 

          Her companion stares at her blankly, face void of emotion when he said, “It was necessary...”

 

          A glaring contest ensued. It’s interesting how relief has suddenly washed over him upon seeing the two. “I hope I’m not interrupting a private conversation...”

 

          Both stopped whatever it is that they were doing and started a chorus of ‘of course nots’. The prince find this extremely comical, he can’t help but laugh. It’s a welcome change from the constant strain he’s been feeling as of late.

 

          “We came back to help, well she’s here to... make things more interesting...” Sung Gyu says by way of explanation.

 

          “I’m ecstatic you decided to join our search for my fiancé...”

 

          A blush starts to appear on Soo Jeong’s face. She can’t help it; if a prince showers you with as much attention you’d most likely feel the same.

 

          “Stop being overwhelmed, you’re here to help us make progress not swoon...” Sung Gyu stands up and hands over a book.”Better start working...”

 

          Lee Soo Jeong rolls her eyes. This guy has an uncanny way of ruining moments. She snatched the book from Sung Gyu but not before being sassy, “You want me to write? Here? Now?”

 

          “Do you want a special place, my lady?” The sarcasm in Sung Gyu’s voice was evident not that he’s trying to hide it.

 

          “I’m good—“

 

          “The library’s much comfortable than the drawing room. You might prefer it there...” Prince Woo Hyun offers. And when a prince offers, who’s to say no.

 

          “That would be nice...”

 

          “I’ll have Lady Ji Ae you...” the prince look towards Sung Gyu, “Do you mind if we stay here to continue with our discussion?”

 

          Kim Sung Gyu hesitates for a few seconds trying to decide if it’s fine to leave the girl alone. He knows she’s completely harmless, but he’s also aware that she’s absolutely clueless. Whatever is happening inside the book is different from just being outside looking in. “Can I have a word with her for a second?”

 

          Prince Woo Hyun nods his assent, advising Sung Gyu he’ll have tea ready upon his return as he leaves the room and closes the door for their privacy.

 

          Lee Soo Jeong rolls her eyes at the ridiculousness of it all. “Do I need to be supervised? I prefer to work alone and in peace, thank you.”

 

          “I know you’re currently irritated at me, but I see you’re adapting quite well, with the way you talk. That’s beside the point, though. A word of caution, newbie... Things doesn’t work the same here as with our world. I advise you to be very careful what you put on paper...”

 

          “You said—“

 

          “I didn’t say this was entirely a fairytale...”

 

~O~

 

          The room is covered with little pink flowers for wallpaper. Peonies, Lady Ji Ae informed her. She’s not well-versed in flowers. Soo Jeong appreciates the company but she’s more worried about putting ink on paper. Whatever she writes now would not only affect the characters in this book, Sung Gyu and her as well.

 

          When she signed up for this she didn’t picture there would be more complications, she wasn’t informed there was a fine print.

 

          “Are you an acquaintance of the prince, Lady Soo Jeong?” Lady Ji Ae inquires as she pours tea into a very expensive looking china.

 

          “I’m just... a visitor. My companion is someone you might call his acquaintance...”

 

          “Lord Sung Gyu? Are you two courting?” she tilts her head, big eyes boring into Soo Jeong’s.

 

          “No! Actually, we’re...” How does she even explain the situation? They’re technically not friends and she definitely doesn’t want to be courted by him. “We’re sort of friends? We’ve recently just been acquainted...”

 

          “Oh... His paid a visit a couple of times, to help Prince Woo Hyun, I heard...”

 

          Curiosity always gets the best of Lee Soo Jeong; she wanted to know more about the prince and the princess. What kind of relationship their kingdoms have. And maybe get some insight about a reason for anyone to think ill of the union.

 

          It could be anything, a fight over a kingdom or it could be a result of jealousy. An idea suddenly came to mind.

 

          “Is Princess Mi Joo loved by the people of this kingdom?”

 

          There’s a pause as if Lady Ji Ae is carefully thinking of her answer. “Of course she’s loved, though you wouldn’t expect her to be loved by all. She’s from an enemy country, if you aren’t aware...”

 

          “Do you have an idea how these two kingdoms became enemies?”

 

          “It’s quite a long story... From what I’ve heard it’s because of lands and they’ve both agreed on the marriage to end the dispute...”

 

          “But if the marriage was intended to end all disputes, why is Princess Mi Joo missing?”

 

          “You and everybody else have the same query. There’s a lot of talk about another enemy kingdom taking Lady Mi Joo so the truce won’t happen...”

 

          Lee Soo Jeong is more confused. There really is another kingdom involved in this. How many kingdoms are there in this story exactly? She most likely needs a map. She’ll have to ask the prince later on.

 

          “If you will excuse me, I still have a few more errands to attend to. I’ll leave you alone. If you have need for anything, pull the bell cord and a servant would be with you shortly.” She exits with a curtsey, leaving Soo Jeong with more questions than answers.

 

          She’s now more determined to start with whatever Sung Gyu has left off, though. If it’s true that the book would bring its own conflict then she’ll just have to be ready for it. She sends a silent apology to Princess Mi Joo in advance for whatever her writing would result to.

 

And so she starts to write.

 

          It was an ordinary stroll, Princess Mi Joo must’ve lost track after giving chase to a white rabbit. She was famous for being easily side-tracked. The sun is about to set and she’s at an unfamiliar terrain.

 

          The trees in this area are denser, with thicker and greener leaves. It feels like a different world, like spring has come early. She worries because she’s supposed to meet with her fiancé and the king and queen. It would be impolite to show up looking as she is now. She remembers Lady Ji Ae waiting for her at the edge of this forest, the border between Prince Woo Hyun’s kingdom and hers. She hates to keep people waiting.

 

          Princess Mi Joo steels herself. She came here easily, it’s not impossible to find her way out. She just needs to remember where she came from. She looks around again trying to see if she could find something familiar, a path back maybe. ‘She can do this’ she cheers herself on.

 

          A few hours later, she finds she’s back to where she started. The dense trees are the same though now it’s darker. The sun is about to set and these forests is not the safest. As much as she doesn’t want to think how dangerous it might be to spend the night here, her situation is getting more desperate.

 

          A clearing appears up ahead. This gives her hope, there’s an exit somehow and she’s determined to find out.

 

          Halfway through the end of the path, she sighs in relief when she sees a familiar face. They’ve found her, finally. It’s unlady-like but she breaks into a run. The person on the other end waves, Princess Mi Joo halts at the sight. There’s something sinister about the other’s face.

 

          That evil smile is the last thing she sees before she lost consciousness.