Sheet 10

Broken Music

Sheet 10

Crescendo

 

There's a distinct sound of dripping water that Lee Soo Jung can hear from a distance. She tried moving, but her body feels numb, even a slight movement turns out to be impossible. She figured it would be best to keep still, observe. Footsteps can be heard from a distance, she doesn't know if it's coming for her rescue or to finish whatever it is that they've started. Whatever it is she would've wanted for them to do it faster, a lot sooner, earlier when they had the chance, when she was unconscious.

 

 

She doesn't deem herself very brave. Wouldn't it be easier to succumb to darkness?  Maybe she'll wake up back at the library then they could do this all over again. Reset. She’ll start by not meddling, doing only the task that she was asked to do.

 

         

She recalls it was a few hours into writing that she felt a bit drowsy; she probably fell asleep while writing. She's not sure though, did someone hit her from the back? Most likely. What she wants to know is the reasoning behind it. She came here to help, she must've figured out something though that ‘something’ seems to elude her, not unless her theory that there’s connivance from the inside is true.

 

 

Lee Soo Jung ponders about her current situation. It is easier to give up like this: safer. But she thinks about Prince Woo Hyun and Princess Mi Joo not being able to get their happy ending. And Kim Sung Gyu, regardless if he’s mean to her still needs her help.

 

 

All these thinking makes her head ache. She decided to worry about this later, if there is still later. ‘Be optimistic’ she tells herself. ‘You’ll get your own rescue.’ She sighs, she always dreamt of having her own fairytale, this is turning out to be a nightmare.

 

 

The footsteps are getting closer; Lee Soo Jung closes her eyes. She never really liked dramatics in the books she reads. If this is the end, she'll just sleep through it.

 

 

~O~

 

 

Panic was an understatement; Kim Sung Gyu hasn't felt anything like this in his entire existence. He doesn't even have an inkling on how to describe it. It's only been an hour when he left the girl alone only to come back to chaos. The library has books strewn everywhere, as if someone was trying to find something in a hurry. He doesn't care so much about the books but the girl who was supposed to be writing a story for him.

 

 

Prince Woo Hyun's men were immediately set out to find Lady Soo Jung. A guest being kidnapped inside the castle is a cause of panic for everyone. This just proves that the place is no longer safe.

 

 

They'll have to keep this a secret, Lee Sung Yeol thought to himself. If the people of the kingdom find out that another one went missing, it would be cause for panic and distrust.

 

 

The prince is in deep conversation with his mysterious guest, a mix of worry and anger etched on his face. Lee Sung Yeol watched as the prince tries to reason with the man, clearly not wanting to stay still and just wait for news.

 

 

A guard approached Sung Yeol with news. They might have an idea of the lady's whereabouts. He immediately ordered the men to search the dungeons subsequently informing Prince Woo Hyun and his friend about the guard's speculation

 

 

Kim Sung Gyu didn't waste any time and followed the guards to the dungeons. There should be a reason for all of this. Only a few knows that they're both here for something else other than being the prince’s visiting distant relatives. He didn't bring her here to make her suffer. Maybe a change of plan would be appropriate, only a fool would still want to continue after experiencing this.

 

 

The sound of metal doors opening and closing makes Kim Sung Gyu more anxious, if it turns out that Lee Soo Jung is not anywhere inside the castle, he thinks he's going to go insane. And he won't be able to forgive himself for causing someone else harm just because he wanted to share his burden.

 

 

"She's in here!" a guard shouts from a distance.

 

          There’s water coming out from all the other locked prison cells. Kim Sung Gyu doesn’t want to imagine his charge being submerged in water. She could probably swim, he jokes to himself. Then again she might be unconscious. The thought made Kim Sung Gyu run faster; shoving the guard aside once he arrives at the door of the cell where she was held.

 

          “Lee Soo Jung!” he shouted, feeling a wave of relief wash over him. She’s laid on a platform, asleep. He snorts, how can someone still sleep in a situation like this? Then again maybe she’s drugged. He hurried towards the sleeping girl, feeling her pulse. It’s steady so being drugged is out of the question. He looked over to check for any injuries, only to stop at the sight of blood running from her temple.

 

          He turned around to call on the guard when the dungeon doors suddenly closed, he can hear the click of a lock being turned. Shouting would be a waste, he’s sure no one would be able to hear them. This most likely is a trap; they know he’ll take the bait if they involved the girl. And the prince is still probably clueless about it.

 

          He tries to wake Lee Soo Jung up when water started rushing inside the cell from every direction, immediately covering the floor in a few feet of water. If she doesn’t wake up, they’ll both be drowned. Thinking of the only solution, Kim Sung Gyu hopes the music box is still playing and that the girl wouldn’t suddenly gain consciousness when they come back to reality.

 

          Like one of those fairytales, where one could only break the spell with a gesture, Sung Gyu braces himself and wakes both of them up with a kiss.

 

~O~

 

          Somewhere in a secluded location, inside a room made of glass, a lone figure sits in what could be considered a mock throne, piercing eyes observing the scene from across the room.

 

          “Let me out!”

 

          “Not yet princess, story dictates you have to wait for your rescue.”