Sheet 3

Broken Music

Sheet 3

Turn The Knob

 

          The second-hand shop’s door opened with a tinkle. The owner looks up from the counter, ready to welcome a customer.

 

          “Auntie, is Woo Hyun around?” A young man approaches the counter, his copper hair covering most of his eyes.

 

          “Oh, Sung Gyu-ya…He hasn’t left the house yet. You’d still be able to catch him if you go now…”

 

          “That… I think I left a book of mine with the second hand books that I brought yesterday. Can I have a look?”

 

          “Sure all the books are still upstairs in the attic…”

 

          “Thanks, Auntie…”

 

          Sung Gyu hurried up the stairs to the attic. He’s not usually this forgetful but he keeps on losing things. He really should start paying attention to his surroundings.

 

          Half way through the stairs he heard his phone ring. Reaching into his pant pocket he sees the caller id reads his friend’s name.

 

          “Yeah, Woo Hyun?” he paused mid-step. Leaning on the stair banister, “You found it? Why is it all of a sudden in your bag? Fine! I’m on my way there…”

 

          He hurried back down the stairs, waved goodbye to the store owner and out the door. He doesn’t remember handing the book to Woo Hyun. And he doesn’t even know if it really is the book he was looking for. Hopefully Woo Hyun would know the difference between a college text book and an actual story book. Regardless of being the son of a book shop owner, his friend is more interested in playing basketball and singing at a noraebang. The only reading material he has seen him read is a comic book. Not that he has any bias towards manhwas; he’s not an avid reader as well. But since his grandmother collects rare books he has once in a while read a few and he admits some are interesting.

 

          He sees Woo Hyun waiting at their front gate. An eyebrow raised, he waves what looks like a children’s storybook. “That’s not mine…” Sung Gyu declares as soon as he reaches his friend. The -eating grin Woo Hyun had earlier disappeared and is replaced with confusion.

 

          “What do you mean it’s not yours, it’s definitely not mine.”

 

          “It’s not mine… I’m not looking for a children’s book…”

 

          “Then whose is this?”

 

          Sung Gyu shrugs, walking past Woo Hyun and into the latter’s house. “It’s not just a book Woo Hyun. My grandmother would skin me alive if she found out it’s missing from its display box…”

 

          Woo Hyun follows him and they both ventured up the stairs towards the balcony. “Ah, the magical book… Has it ever occurred to you that maybe you’re grandmother’s going a bit—“

 

          “Ya! Don’t talk about my grandmother like that… It’s not a dangerous book. It’s just that, it’s important to my grandmother. If someone buys it, you’re losing a friend, literally.”

 

          “I’ll tell Omma to not put the books you brought her on display. We’ll look for it tomorrow. Is that the same book that your grandma was talking about when she gave my mother that broken music box?”

 

          “It’s not broken… It works… for certain people…” Sung Gyu sets down his bag, slumps into one of the lounge chairs that’s scattered in the spacious balcony.

 

The music box works, he tried playing it when he was young and it emits a somewhat eerie lullaby. When his old neighbourhood friend tried playing it nothing happened, he was branded a liar after that. The only person that decided to believe him regardless was Woo Hyun.

 

 His grandmother explained to him that the music box only plays for special people. There’s a legend behind that music box that’s been told to him. He’s not certain if he believes it but having that book and the music in the same place may cause someone trouble.

 

~0~

 

         

          Soo Jung heard noises coming from the stairs, so she immediately stopped what she’s doing to take a look. No one was by the stairs and the owner is busy talking to a customer. She looked at her watch; she’s been upstairs for three hours. Maybe it’s time to take a break.

 

          She went back up and grabbed her bag. She decided to take her break at an isolated part of the attic she’s seen while she was wandering around. There were lounge chairs in there surrounded by tall shelves of books; she’ll be able to take a rest while she catches up on her reading.

 

There’s a display shelf on the far wall with different antique things. One of the objects on display caught her attention; it’s a miniature bookshelf, with actual tiny books in it. She took it out from its case and inspected it. Judging by the dial on the back, this seems to be a music box. There’s a faint inscription on the back that reads:

 

“Look world, let me win

Sun, rise & give me strength

Listen destiny, don’t block me

I will protect her…”

         

          Soo Jung reads it out loud, she can’t seem to recall what book that quote is from. She turns the knob to see if the music box is working. When nothing happened after she’s turned the knob, she turned it around and looked at the shelf doors. Thinking that the music box would play ones she opens the small doors like the jewellery box her mother has, turning the knob once again then opening the latch of the miniature shelf door, immediately an eerie tune started playing.

 

          There’s something about the music that’s enthralling at the same time creepy. Before Soo Jung could shut the music box doors, a hand came out from one of the huge bookshelves and grabbed her arm.