Sheet 13

Broken Music

Sheet 13

A Kingdom Far Far Away

 

          Princess Mi Joo sits in a corner of her prison. She loathes the man who dare do this to dishonour her and her entire kingdom. Severe punishment awaits him once she escapes detention, she will make sure of it.

 

          She thinks of her mother, who’s perhaps anxious about her absence. She’s worried about her father, defending their kingdom from accusations of treason. She prays that her people believe in their king. This will soon be over, she trust that her prince is out there looking for her.

 

          And while Prince Woo Hyun makes his way to her, she will find a way to make it easier for him to find her. She sits still, calling on a magic that she isn’t sure existed. She can’t leave everything to fate and hopes her ancestors would guide her this time.

 

          “Your ancient magic wouldn’t work here, Princess. This is my realm, my pretend reality; you can’t do anything here that I don’t allow...”

 

          His tone is always mocking. Taunting her to behave the same manner she had when she was first brought here. She’s not going to fall for the same trick. Ignoring him is her best option. She needs to concentrate; there should be something she can do to send a message. If not to Prince Woo Hyun then to someone, anyone out there.

 

          “I highly admire your efforts. I get easily bored with damsels, I find no fun in teasing them. Do as you please. It would make me very happy to see you fail.” The man sits on his glass throne, watching her intently. “Do you know how curious I am on how all of this will play off? I’ve never read a more exciting story.”

 

          She’s determined to ignore his tirade. Nothing he says will be of use to her; she needs to focus on one task. She will deliver a message, to anyone who will hear her.

 

          “Ignoring me wouldn’t help your cause. But if you wish to be that way, be my guest. Oh wait, you already are, without the privileges.” He pauses to annoy, make her respond to his one-sided conversation. “Let me tell you a fairy-tale instead, I know you pretend to not be interested but I’ll tell it anyway.

 

          Once upon a time is a pretty pathetic start to a story, don’t you think? So let me begin with, there once was two families who’s given the amazing ability to book travel. One family decided to make the mundane more bearable to the town folk only to be shut down by some righteous old council who thinks they’re all that.

 

          So book travelling was divided to the two families, there’s the family who chose to be pathetic; boring even. And there’s that family that was punished to be in the story just to lose.

 

          And you know what I think? My entire family does not deserve this title. We have been hated long enough, it’s about time people acknowledge our significance. I am ending the Protos rule; it’s the Antas turn now. I would say ‘the end’ but it’s just the beginning...”

 

          Princess Mi Joo glares at her captor, nothing he says will daunt her. She was about to speak her mind when the man in front of her doubled over in pain.

 

          A note materialized out of thin air, carrying a voice with it.

 

          ... and they will live happily ever after. I will make sure of it. — S

 

          The man grabbed the note and crumpled it. The look on his face is scarier this time. His face doesn’t show any anger, it’s sinister. Something that slowly creeps into you and leave you suspended. She felt trapped now more than ever.

 

          “Let the games begin then...”

 

          She wants to be far away from here as possible, this guy is definitely mad. She needs to concentrate on her inner magic, a rescue is desperately needed.

 

          A door she’s never noticed before opened. A man wearing a familiar uniform came into view. The princess felt relief wash over her, finally someone found her.

 

          The man stood directly in front of her captor. It’s odd that he went here alone. A confrontation would be futile. The man who kidnapped her wouldn’t listen to reason. She trusts that an army of soldiers are surrounding the area.

 

          “L-nim...” he bowed. “I have significant information for you...”

 

          “You...” She can’t believe what she’s seeing. She didn’t expect for this person to be working for an enemy.

 

          “Hello Princess, I see you’re comfortable...”

 

          “How could you—“

 

          “It’s an honour to chat with your majesty but I have a reign to ruin.”

 

          Princess Mi Joo struggled to stand up, pounding the glass wall with renewed vigour.

 

          “Don’t tire yourself too much; you’ll be reunited with your prince soon. Well as soon as he stops acting like a love sick fool.”

 

          “Enough. What news do you have?”

 

          “I’ve received word that the prince’s ally from your world has acquired himself a Narra...”

 

          “I was expecting something new, they always, always get them. That’s unfair since I found her first...” There’s a faraway look on the man’s face, slowly easing into controlled anger. “Even after I made sure she gets the book, that stupid librarian must’ve failed to give her the correct one. It doesn’t matter; I’ll find a way to get to her. Make sure to have someone watch the Narra once she returns to your castle. Oh and this time, guarantee that she does get my present.”

 

          The traitor exists. She watches as he disappears into the secret door. If she can find a way to leave this cage, that door may be her only way out.

 

          “Don’t think I’m stupid, princess. That door wouldn’t let you out, I’ve given very strict orders... I’ll leave you alone for now. Your prince needs a bit of torturing.”

~0~       

          Back at the Kim Residence’s attic, Sung Gyu sits down, exhausted after having to utilize magic he never knew he could use before. “Message sent” he declares.

 

          Nothing happened after that, Soo Jung was expecting an explosion. Or maybe just a teeny bit of reaction, lightning and thunder perhaps. “So what do we do now?”

 

          “We wait.” Grandma Kim says.

 

          “But the princess—”

 

          “You two need to make plans...Though I advise for the both of you to take a rest. I’ve taken care of suspicions; you can go back to your aunt’s house as if you’ve just come home from a shift.”

 

          Soo Jung hates being perpetually confused. But if she understands correctly, did Sung Gyu’s grandmother just—

 

          “I performed a time spell. I’m a pretty powerful Proto, you might want to know. Been part of the high council too after I’ve retired being a book traveller.”

 

          There’s no end to the amazement, Soo Jung thought.  Going on vacation here was a good decision, the best she has ever made. Then she remembers.”I’m only here for two weeks! We don’t have much time. There are a lot of things to do still—”

 

         “Technically, you only have eleven days left of your vacation...” Kim Sung Gyu points out. “Before you retaliate, I’m aware of your urgency to help, but sleep is necessary for the brain to function properly. We both need it, we’ll resume tomorrow.”

 

          Soo Jung consents not able to find anything to counter what Sung Gyu has said. She’s not sure if she’d be able to sleep though. There are a lot of ideas running in her head at present.

 

          “I suggest you jot down everything that’s coming into your mind right now. However, I would advise you to write it on a separate sheet of paper, the ordinary kind. Please avoid writing anything on the book for now. I want to be aware of what’s going to happen when you start writing.” Kim Sung Gyu gathers her stuff, slinging her bag on his shoulder. “I’ll take you to the bus stop.

 

          “What time is it supposed to be now?”

 

          “Your shift ends at 7pm, right? So, it’s after 7 now… Let’s go.”

~0~

          The bus stop is just a short walk away from Sung Gyu’s house. There’s still a lot of things he needed to do but he’s hesitant to leave the girl alone. For some reason, he dreads the separation, like something ominous is about to happen.

 

           “You can go back home now… I can manage to find the right bus from here.” Soo Jung takes her bag from Sung Gyu, proceeding to look at the map to see which bus she needs to take to her aunt’s house.

 

          Sung Gyu lingers by her side, it’s a bit unnerving. “Seriously, I can manage. See…” Pointing on a certain bus number. “I’ve found my bus.”

 

          “What’s your number?”

 

          “It’s Bus 17, I’m not such a noob to not be able to find my way…” she rolls her eyes. Now she realizes she's tired, regardless if her brain's popping up ideas in her head nonstop.

 

          “No, I meant your mobile number…”

 

          “Huh?”

 

          “In case I needed to get in touch with you… Or if you have ideas that you want to share. It’s easier than waiting to know the next day…”

 

          She’s still hesitant but Soo Jung thinks it’s perfectly reasonable. More now that they’re officially working together on the story. She wrote her number on a piece of paper and gave it to Sung Gyu.

 

          He scoffs. “How old fashioned of you…”

 

          Annoyed, she tried to snatch the paper, back.

 

          “I like old fashioned… See you tomorrow!” 

 

          Again, he leaves her dumbfounded. She's going to get her revenge later on. He can't think he'd get away with teasing her without consequences.

~0~

          That night at home, while watching her cousin practice playing the piano. She thinks back on the events from earlier. It still feels surreal, like something from a dream. She doesn’t feel particularly different though she’s aware that everything is no longer as it seems.

 

          Sighing, this is becoming really frustrating. Should she start jotting down ideas instead of sitting down and making sense of everything?

 

          “You seem bothered, Soo Jung?” Her aunt inquires.

 

          “She’s been sighing since earlier, it’s distracting…” Myeong Eun complains.

 

          “I’m sorry…”

 

          “Is this about work? I could ask my friend to give you a day off tomorrow if you wish to rest…”

 

          “It’s not that. Work’s fine… Is it okay if I go upstairs. I have to call Mom. Maybe I’m just feeling a bit restless…”

 

          “Okay, tell me if you’re still feeling out of the weather. I’ll call in sick for you…”

 

          “Mom’s pretty good at mimicking your voice…”

 

          “Auntie! That’s not necessary. I’ll see you both in the morning. Good Night!”

 

          In her room, Soo Jung takes out a sheet of paper. She’ll start by writing down what she knows of the story so far. Last she remembers is her being abducted, that she figured out has something to do with her being a Narra.

 

          And it also solidifies her suspicion that someone inside the castle is involved in the princess’ disappearance. The question now is, who and how many are they.

 

          She’s sure that whoever that person is, he or she’s not working alone.  That person would need eyes everywhere. She would need to go back to the castle to figure that out. She’ll have to tell Sung Gyu about her suspicions.

 

          Speaking of Sung Gyu, she checks her mobile phone only to see 13 messages and 25 miscalls. A few of the messages are from her parents. 5 miscalls from people at her university.

 

          8 messages and 20 miscalls from the same unknown number. She guesses it’s Sung Gyu based on how the last message reads:

 

      Ya! You don’t give your number to someone only to ignore them. Wait have you been kidnapped? Did they find you? That’s stupid. Message me back once you read this. If not, you’re dead tomorrow. - KSG

 

          She replies back:

 

          I’m still alive, thank you. I’ve arrived home 3 hours ago. – LSJ

 

          She receives a response a few seconds later.

 

          Good then… Sleep well. I’ll see you tomorrow. Save my number. You need to pick up when I call. Grandma gets worried.

 

          Lee Soo Jung saves his number, amused by his last message. Her phone beeps again showing another message from Kim Sung Gyu.

 

          Don’t worry too much. Sweet dreams, uri Narra.

 

          She laughs at the play of words.

~0~

 

          Kim Sung Gyu’s phone beeps. The narra finally decided to make a reply.

 

          Don’t worry too. Gyu-night~

                  

          He can’t stop himself from laughing outloud.

 

          His grandmother was right, he have chosen well.

 

 

 

a/n:

 

I don't normally write notes on my stories, but I just felt the need to lol

Ermmm... how are you guys? (I never really get any answers when I ask questions, why? -- that's another question I'm not getting an answer on haha)

It's weird coz I really really really enjoy writing this, regardless if we don't get legit SoulGyu moments. I'm just imagining them being this way and that. This is prob one delu outlet.

Anyway, if anyone actually missed who the evil evil being is. Here's a clue xD

Have a good day/week guys~~~ <3

-- Hye