Chapter 22

Broken Music

Sheet 22

Ink Well Paper Stains

 

          “I can’t believe we voluntarily returned.” Dong Woo declares as he sets aside the doll that has been posing as him for three days now.

 

          Sung Gyu looks at the miniature him, he thinks the same but he’s wise enough not to say it out loud.

 

          “I would’ve dragged you back if you didn’t...” Lee Soo Jung says as she enters the room, a tea set tray in hand. “Welcome back! Did you bring me a present?”

 

          The feeling of being back brings both dread and relief to Kim Sung Gyu. This scene feels normal, too normal actually. He examines her, looking for certain signs that might tell them if she has returned to being under the Anta’s influence. Though if L did find out about their plan, they would’ve been captured (again) the minute they get back. It’s hard to start being comfortable within this setting. “How did we meet?”

 

          Lee Soo Jung looks at him with raised eyebrows, she tilts her head to the side trying to gauge if he’s being serious. It takes all his will power not to gush because gushing is uncharacteristic of him and he’s not about to show weakness if this turned out to be a trap.

 

          “Your answer please...”

 

          “Do you want me to answer with the unpleasant one or the one I can barely remember?”

 

          Jang Dong Woo sniggers. Kim Sung Gyu forced himself not to glare, this statement itself might prove that she isn’t under any influence but he already started with the questioning it would be weird for him to stop. “Just...”

 

          “I picked up your infinity necklace at the bust stop. Happy?”

 

          “Thank you... One more question though... How come you’re not... Are you allowed to go around now?”

 

          “The Anta’s not home, my only guard is now my ally. I just went to visit the princess, let her in on the plan.”

 

          “Still... It’s dangerous if he caught you...”

 

          “He still thinks I’m under a spell, so can you calm down...”

 

          He would’ve appreciated the sass if this was an entirely different setting. What his Narra doesn’t seem to grasp is the fact that 1. They’re still in enemy territory and 2. They could be found out any second.

 

          “I know you’re worried and you think that I’m not taking you seriously, I am. The plan will work, it has to.” Soo Jung feels that Kim sung Gyu’s current tension could be coming from the fact that it’s his story and he doesn’t have control of it, so she tries to re-assure him. “This story is yours, have faith.”

 

          He decided to agree with her for once; arguments aside this is somewhat a reunion. He feels relieved to see her again. Still not completely at ease, not until they leave this place.

 

          “Now give me my present!” Her left arm shooting out towards his direction, teacups rattling out of balance.

 

          Sung Gyu lets himself laugh this time. He takes out the package from his bag pack, one his grandmother has expressly asked him to deliver.

 

          “More magic parchments!” Setting aside the tea set right next to their cage, Lee Soo Jung immediately runs towards her writing desk to replace the papers provided by the Anta.

 

          He’s aware that it might be magic but he hasn’t seen this type of magic before. Maybe because this is the first time he worked with a Narra and he doesn’t think he’d be able to work in the future without this one. He remembers there’s another package that he’s always had that he personally wanted to give to her. “Here.”

 

          “The Book of Deception... Why are you giving it to me?”

 

          “Isn’t it yours?”

 

          “It’s actually your grandfather’s... Or whichever Narra he decided to give it to... I wasn’t... It wasn’t supposed to be with me. I took it without permission...” she didn’t steal it per se but it wasn’t handed to her either. The fact that it was left in the attic together with other books that was donated; she should’ve left it alone or returned it the day she found it.

 

          She realized that magic shouldn’t be used carelessly. She’s just lucky enough to have read about its history in advance.

 

          Being a new Narra was exciting at first, and then she realized it’s a huge responsibility. She might (and she’s aware she can) bring harm to those around her. The Book of Deception is one form of magic that she completely understands. It doesn’t abide to a certain concept; it could either be good or bad. Like humans, this she discovered the hard way, it could be both. Anything with such magic is dangerous in anyone’s hands.

 

          “Well, I’m sure granddad would’ve willingly given it to you either way.”

 

          She should feel honoured but fear of being handed over something so important is feeling more like a burden.     

 

          “Come here...” Kim Sung Gyu waves for her to come close.

 

          “What?” she questions as she approaches the cage.

 

          Once she’s close enough, he grabs her and puts the book in her hand. He doesn’t let go though. A few minutes of silence has passed before he decided to say something. “You told me once that books choose you not the other way around. This chose you. You brought it back to life. Don’t tell me you don’t deserve it.”

 

          Argument is futile when someone tells you something like that. “This book scares me...” Honesty, she decided, is something important to them right now. “It’s a huge responsibility.”

 

          The hand that’s holding hers tightens its grip. “Then share the burden. I’m your Proto, you’re my Narra and now we have an Anta. You have a team now.”

 

          Lee Soo Jung gasps. She looks at Jang Dong Woo and smiles, wide. “You’re an Anta!”

 

          “Ah yeah... I am...” the Anta looks at her, confused.

 

          “Why didn’t I think of that? Can you let go of my hand for a moment, I need to check on something.”

 

          Flustered, Kim Sung Gyu immediately let’s go of Soo Jung’s hand and looks anywhere but the girl. She on the other hand runs towards her writing desk.

 

          While Soo Jung busies herself with sifting through the Book of Deception, his cell companion decided it was the best time to tease. He on the other hand has decided to ignore him and think of other ways to be useful.

 

          Continuing the story he needs to return to the castle as soon as he can. His friend, Woo Hyun is waiting for their go signal. The Prince must be feeling betrayed.

 

          The White Rabbit plan needs to work. Fictional stories seeping into reality is tricky, them putting in an actual person in place of a storybook character might mess the system up. He trusts his Narra’s judgement but luck was never a friend of theirs. All he has now is faith.

 

          They need to make everything right again. Maybe the Anta named L has a reason to believe his vendetta is justified. Perhaps they have been unfair. He has never encountered any Anta in his life. The conflicts in the books that he’s jumped has always been situational or something entirely internal.

 

          The evils he has encountered stems from his own bad decisions during the course of the story, never about a person, or an actual villain.

 

          It must be about time he interacts with them. So the next time he does have to share his story, he wouldn’t be so clueless.

 

          “Dong Woo...” Lee Soo Jung inquires from her desk.

 

          “Yes?”

         

          “Will you help us write this story?”

 

          To say the Anta was surprised is a bit of an understatement.

 

~0~

 

          This house is enormous and confusing to say the least. He has not been anywhere this big before. He could compare it to his friend’s ancestral house but it’s not like this. This basement feels like a proper castle dungeon. He thinks he might be lost; on the contrary being hidden inside that stuffy den without anything to do is making him feel restless.

 

          Scoping the premises seems to be a good idea. Well not until now. He has taken a lot of wrong turns. Another wrong turn leads him to a lit corridor. Determined to know what’s at the end of the path, he ventured on.

 

          These parts are homier than where he’s been; lit corridors cluttered with ancient portraits. Past owners he hazards a guess. These parts looks more like a museum than an actual section of a house.

 

          There’s a slightly ajar door at the end of a bend, he can hear someone singing from within. The song is unfamiliar to him, so is the language.

 

          As the ever curious person he is, he approaches the door and peeks inside only to see what he thinks is a princess, an actual living princess straight out of a storybook.

          He knocks, remembering his manners.

 

          The princess stops singing and looks up.

 

          He feels the air leave his lungs as their eyes meet. Her eyes say a lot of things, speaking to him even before she utters a word.

 

          “My prince...” she whispers. Her tone conveys familiarity, a certain longing for the person she’s calling.

 

          It’s hard to nay-say her when her face compels you to give her comfort although lying would also make you somewhat guilty for deceiving someone so innocent. He figured honesty would be best in this circumstance.

 

          “I’m not—“

         

          Her face fell the instant he uttered the words, looking sadder than it already was.

 

          He regrets not lying.

 

          “You look exactly like him...”

         

          “I think... ummm... That’s exactly how they plan it to be...” He remembers she might not be in on the plan. “I mean... I’m just... here to—“

 

          “I was informed. I didn’t assume it would be someone so similar. Lady Soo Jung has created my own doll. I prayed perhaps she’ll do the same for my beloved.”

 

          “I’m sorry...”

 

          “An apology isn’t necessary...” she gives him a small smile, one he thinks is enough to light up the entire basement. He forces himself to snap out of the trance. This is a fictional character, she is fictional he reminds himself.

          “Ah yeah... So ummm... I’m Nam Woo Hyun by the way. Your prince and I coincidentally have the same name and face I was told. Technically, my hair isn’t blond. They kind of forced dyed it.” He jokes, running his hands through his now bleached hair.

 

          He hears a thousand tinkling bells only to realize he’s hearing the princess’ laughter. Nam Woo Hyun isn’t sure if it’s his imagination or the after effects of the hair dye.

 

          “Ummm... can I ask you a question?” He waits for her assent before pressing on. “What are you doing here?”

 

          “I’m a prisoner...” she says matter-of-factly.

 

          “And you don’t mind? I could rescue you, you know... That is if I knew my way out unfortunately I don’t. But I think I will figure that one out eventually...”

 

          The princess shakes her head; a small smile appears on her lips. “I am a prisoner and I intend to stay that way. If I disappear now, Lady Soo Jung’s plans might be ruined. I trust her and her companions.”

 

          “Trust me then... I’m a new addition to the crew...”

 

          She laughs. The tinkling bells starts to ring in his ear again. In that moment, Nam Woo Hyun is convinced he’d do anything for her.