Sheet 12

Broken Music

Sheet 12

Of Glass Cages and Fairy Wings

 

                The glass cage reverberates at every pounding of her fist, her voice echoes around her. How she ended up being here, she doesn’t have an inkling. One thing she’s sure of though is that the person in front of her watching her in amusement is pure evil. It’s only normal that she hates him.

 

        He lets out a long and tired sigh, finally peace and quiet. He is aware that it’s momentary. She’s going to start nagging again, issuing baseless threats. He kinda regrets taking her but it’s all in good fun. Besides what’s a story without them?

 

~0~

 

          A long long time ago when people were simpler and the world is full of blacks and whites and the occasional splashes of colour, the ruling families (the stronger and most influential ones) decided it’s about time that the entire kingdom live in more than the dull blacks and whites.

 

          So they’ve summoned magic and the great book travellers were born.

 

          The rules were simple for the first book travellers, they exist to fight the mundane. They bring back a multitude of adventures with them, things the kingdom hasn’t seen or heard before.

 

          It was great entertainment for the masses at first. But then a family of book travellers became greedy, they wanted more of these adventures. Fame and admiration of the crowd made them want more, bigger roles and a bigger adventure than most. They’ve created their own chaos on disrupting happy ever afters.

 

          You see, once upon a time princes and princesses don’t need to go through pain to be able to be together. There were always laughter and amusement in the stories of old. Not until real people started to meddle. The stories and the characters they’ve loved are now in conflict. They have made everything complicated.

 

          Guilty of what they have done the ruling families decided to end the magic, to put everything back as it was. Though they understand magic isn’t as easy as anyone would think, there are certain consequences of actions nevertheless they are ready.

 

          But Magic isn’t as understanding as they thought it would be. Chaos has been placed; their stories and the characters have suffered. There is a price they must pay.  

 

          The Protos, the Antas and the Narras were created thus.

 

          The rules were straightforward. All three were given equal ability to book travel; they are under oath to keep to their parts. The Antas think it’s unfair that they are relegated to a role people hated despite the fact that they are aware of who started the entire ordeal. But they’ve made peace of what they’ve been given.

 

          Or so everyone has thought.

 

~0~

 

          Kim Sung Gyu watches as his grandmother rummages through a stack of books. She’s been at it for almost an hour now, there’s no sign of her letting up. She usually doesn’t like being interrupted but there are some things that needed to be sorted out as soon as possible.

 

          “Go ahead and have a look if you’re that curious.” His grandmother castigates someone without stopping from her task. Who, it’s surely not him. He glance towards his far left at the girl who now has a totally confused look on her face.

 

          “Those books won’t do anything to you if you know where to look...”

 

          Her words doesn’t sound too comforting, his grandmother is never one for comfort anyway.

 

          The girl is braver than he imagined. She’s currently looking at the right side of the floor to ceiling shelf, the side where all his finished adventures are.

 

          “How long have you been at this?” Lee Soo Jung asks no one in particular.

 

          Kim Sung Gyu looks at the girl then his grandmother, trying to decide if he’d like to be a part of this ongoing bizarre conversation.

 

          “Answer her, she’s asking you...”

 

          “Wha—“

 

          “That is your bookshelf, right?” Soo Jung points out.

 

          How she knew it was his is a question he would probably ask next. “Yes, it’s mine. How did you know?”

 

          “I don’t know. It somehow reacts to you? Like the books are alive...”

 

          “They are. Alive, somehow... The books, once a Protos has discovered a story they literally come alive...”

 

          Lee Soo Jung approaches the bookshelf, running her fingers on the books spine. The books do feel alive, breathing. It oddly makes her happy, content for some reason.

 

          “I’m convinced...” His grandmother slams a very thick book on an antique writing table. Startled is an understatement, the girl actually jumped a few inches and is now clinging on to the bookshelf’s step ladder.

 

          “I hope that statement follows an explanation, grandmother...”

 

          “Her. A storyteller.”

 

          “Ermmm... Thank you...”

 

          “You’re one of the rare Narras. I haven’t actually met one in a while. Your grandfather was one, a great one that is. Made so many wonderful stories during our time, did some really good stories with you when you were young. All the books on that shelf are done by my husband. The girl feels them because they recognize her, acknowledges her even.”

 

          “Narra?”

 

          “The proper term for us...” She lets out a sigh. “Once I mention these words, you would officially be one of us...”

 

          “Grandma, I’ve been book jumping since I was seven. I don’t think there’s anything more official than that.”

 

          “You are not a book traveller yet; declaring it here will make it official. That threat would be real and the other person would be aware of it.” His grandmother looks at Lee Soo Jung, “You would be included as well, are you willing to stick around until the end?”

 

          Lee Soo Jung stares at the books and then at the old lady who’s looking at her curiously. There is a challenge in her gaze. She nods her head; she’s honestly scared of what might happen after this meeting. But she wants her name in one of these books, books does breathe life. This is the closest to life that she’ll ever experience with the books she loves.

 

          “We are called Protos, we take the lead in these stories. The Narras, that’s what you are...” pointing at Lee Soo Jung. “You help us by writing the story. It’s not that simple though, there are the Antas, and they’re there to create chaos.

 

          “That’s why the books of the modern world are written like that today, we have the good and the evil and in that story, good always wins. In our stories, the side that wins is the side where the Narras are. Without them, the story won’t have an end.

 

          “You found her first, but I want to know where your Narras loyalties lie. Antas have their own cause for doing evil though sometimes the only reason for the good to emerge is if the Antas know they are on the wrong and they’re willing to be righted.

 

          “That note you receive clearly states that the Anta you’re dealing with doesn’t have any intentions of being defeated.”

 

          Kim Sung Gyu takes out the note from his pocket and reads it out loud:

 

Reality can destroy the dream;

Why shouldn’t the dream destroy reality?

 

          “It’s a quote from George Augustus Moore, an Irish Novelist...” Lee Soo Jung supplies.

 

          “This is a threat, he’s...”

 

          “He’s trying to shake us up. No tears in the writer; no tears in the reader. The same author wrote. These books on the shelf, they’re not just alive they’re happy. I want to be able to create something like this too.”

 

          Kim Soon Hee smiles, proud, “You’ve chosen well, grandson.”

 

~0~

 

          An hour later after they’ve taken lunch and Sung Gyu has begged his grandmother to explain her last statement to their guest as not to scare her even more.

 

          They’re now back in the attic, only because his Narra is more curious than scared of what they’re facing.

 

          “It’s strange, do you think? Your grandfather is a Narra. I kinda understand why your grandmother is suspicious of me. She knows one personally.”

 

          “You are aware that there would always be a Narra as long as a Proto and an Anta exist, right?”

 

          “Yeah, I was listening when your grandmother was narrating about it. What I find odd is that, you have a Narra for a grandfather and you have absolutely no talent in writing stories...”

 

          “Hey!”

 

          Lee Soo Jung giggles. He usually find giggling girls annoying. They all do that in fairytales. Looking at the girl giggling in front of him makes him smile regardless if her teasing is under-handed.

 

          “What stories do you like?”

 

          She stops laughing and looks at him curious, like a cat.

 

          “Stories? The attic is full of living books. Which story is your favourite...”

 

          “I haven’t looked at any of them...”

 

          “Just tell me a favourite book...”

 

          “The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes...”

 

          “Always one for adventure and here I’d thought you’d say something mundane like Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty after what you’ve experienced this past few days.”

 

          “You asked—“

 

          “I did, my fault. Sorry...” He smiles. It’s just really nice to be able to share something like this with someone. Woo Hyun is his best friend but he won’t be able to understand any of this even if he explained it.

 

          “There are music boxes here as well...”

 

          “One or two of them serves the same purpose. The others are there for display to confuse curious people, like you. Can you tell me which one is magic?”

 

          “You better show me something magical or I’ll pick up a blank book and torture you...”

 

          “Grandma should’ve left off the part about the Protos and Narras connection.”

 

          “At least now we can book travel without having to... do skin ship...”

 

          “I’d probably miss that the most....”

 

          “What?!”

 

          “I’m kidding! You’re always so serious when you’re not mocking me...”

 

          She gives a final glare before moving towards the display shelf where the music boxes are stored. “What sport do you like?”

 

          “I don’t do sports... I’m—“

 

          “You’re lazy but you prefer music... So this.” She takes out a music box that resembles a stage with a performer in front of a mic stand. “Basing on your reaction, I’m right...” She turns the knob and the eerie sound started to play. The sound is familiar to her now, sounding more soothing.

 

          “Come here... I hope you like faeries...” Grabbing a book from the shelf, he opens it on a specific page. “This book has been a favourite of mine when I was a kid.”

 

          A million glowing things emerged from the book. Fireflies, Lee Soo Jung finds out.

 

          “On the count of 3...”

 

         “What?”

 

          “1... 2...”

         

          “Huh?”

 

          “3... Hand!”

 

          She holds Sung Gyu’s hand tightly, mostly confused. The fireflies follow them through the hole where they book travelled. Expecting a hasty descent and probably a painful fall, she brazes herself.

 

          It never came, opening her eyes. She realized they were floating.

 

          “Keep thinking happy thoughts, Lee Soo Jung and you’ll be fine...”

 

          “We’re...”

 

          “As cliché as it may sound, we’re in Neverland, to see the faeries.”

 

          “Tinkerbell?”

 

          “I don’t think my grandfather bothered putting her in this story, fairy dust cramps your style. They’re having a Spring Party today if I recall correctly. We’re not joining them, we’re just going to watch...”

 

          He guided her downwards, towards a forest full of trees Soo Jung has never seen before. They have leaves of different colours, all bright and glowing. There were tall grasses swaying in the light breeze.

 

          The moonlight shines through the leaves; it has a pinkish glow to it that reminds Soo Jung of cotton candy.

 

          “Where are...”

 

          “Shh... Look...”

 

          Everything was quiet, like there’s no one there but them; all of a sudden she heard fluttering of wings, a dozen of them. Sung Gyu motioned for her to look up. And there, gazillions of faerie lights seem to be floating on air.

 

          “They’re crowning a new King today, I think... They’re all wearing their best leaves...”

 

          Upon closer inspection, Soo Jung can see little people with wings. Speaking with each other in a language only they know.

 

          “What happens if they see us?”

 

          “Nothing... They’re used to seeing me by now. You, on the other hand, I’m not sure about..."

 

          “You!”

 

          Sung Gyu let out a laugh, mouth wide open, eyes disappearing into crescents. Soo Jung feels content.

 

          “I’ll introduce you to them next time...”

 

          There was a lull to the conversation, both of them just sitting there watching the faeries make merry.

 

          “My grandfather used to take me here when I encounter something scary... He writes me adventures here, with the faeries. Sometimes with pirates...” Sung Gyu narrates.

 

          “Have you been to a lot of scary adventures?”

 

          “Not really, there are occasional weird bad guys but I always manage...”

 

          “I see...”

 

          “I’m sorry for not explaining everything thoroughly. This must’ve really traumatized you...”

 

          Soo Jeong smiles at him.

 

          Sung Gyu notices the dimples that appear on both sides of her cheek for the first time, it suites her.

 

          “I never opened a book I don’t intend to finish...” she whispers.

 

          “Even if...”

 

          “Even if the villains are scarier and bigger and more cunning than Captain Hook...”

 

          They both look up again to watch, who they think are the King and Queen of faeries waltz. All the other faeries join them in waltzing after a few minutes.

 

          “The fairy lights give a comforting feeling like it’s saying ‘everything’s going to be fine...’”

 

          “Everything IS going to be fine.” Lee Soo Jung assures him.