Sheet 1

Broken Music

Sheet 1

Books Breathe Life

 

          Dark clouds roll across the sky, threatening to unleash heavy rainfall. A girl with long brown hair hesitates at an alcove deciding if it’s worth the risk getting drenched. Clenching her fist, she resolves to brave the incoming rain. She has more pressing matters to do and the forces of nature be damned.

 

          She arrived safely (and thankfully, dry) at her destination before the rain decided to lash out. Standing by the building entrance looking upon the sky, she’s relieved that the rain seems to have let her pass. Someone bumps into her shoulder, obviously in a hurry to go somewhere not minding the rain. She watches as he disappears down the subway entrance.

 

          Stretching out her limbs, she turns around and makes way up the stairs into the building.

 

~0~

          Her name is Lee Soo Jung. She works part-time at the Seoul Public Library. It’s almost summer break and her aunt has invited her to with them in the suburb of Jeonju. She hesitated at first but after much coaxing from her cousin, she gave in. Maybe she’ll be able to find a decent library there. If not then it could possibly be a sign that she needs to get her head out of fictional things and start exploring the more tangible things in life.

 

          She’s a freshman student at the W. University, currently studying Biochemistry. Her hobby doesn’t seem to have a connection to her actual course of study. It may be a tad bit contradictory to be honest. Seeing that science only believe in facts and often scoffs fiction. But her fascination with books could have stemmed from a childhood filled with knights in shining armour, unfairly treated princesses with hearts of gold and princes who’s charms comes from not only being unconventionally handsome but valiant as well.

 

          Her parents never hesitate to invest on books, add the fact that her father is part of a publishing house. Many of where her first editions come from. Her friends about her choice of study and her hobby. Most of them tell her to get her head out of the clouds. Though she can’t help but wish for a prince or maybe a knight, someone who will stay by her side and look after her.

 

          And maybe she should start running or she’ll be late for her part-time, again.

 

~0~

 

          Getting permission for a two week leave is easy. She wasn’t expecting much of a fuss but she isn’t ready for the old lady to outright say yes to a vacation. She’s her only assistant after all. Is she being replaced? Clearing her head of thought, she started sorting the borrowed books that were recently returned.

 

          She decided to borrow a few books in case she finds none at her Aunt’s house. She knows its vacation, but she can’t last a day without her books.

 

          “Soo Jung-ssi!” the voice of the head librarian reverberates through the bookshelves.

 

          “Yes ahjumma? I’m right by the historical books…”

 

          She hears footsteps coming her way. Deciding to come down of the bookshelf ladder, she met old Miss Choi at the corner of the American Historical journals and the Japanese War archives.

 

          “Yes Madame?”

 

          “I figured you might want to bring some more books with you when you go on that vacation of yours… I haven’t sorted these books out, someone donated them today. I know how excited you are to look through classics, so I’m letting you borrow them…”

 

          Soo Jung’s face lights up at the thought of old books, she’s more than happy to take them with her. She thanked the old lady and went towards her school bag to deposit the books.

 

          Work today seems to be better, regardless of the nasty weather outside.